Edward Snowden: Hero or Traitor?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.

Have Edward Snowdens actions made him a hero or not?

Edward Snowden's actions are treasonous and he should be punished to the fullest extent of the law
No votes
Edward Snowden's actions revealed a breach of our constitutional rights by our own government and he should be praised (or at least acknowledged) for what he's done
100%
Some of both and he should receive a minimal sentence
No votes
Some of both but he should still get a stiff prison sentence
No votes
Who cares, bacon is still delicious
No votes

Total votes: 11
skmo
captain of 1,000

Edward Snowden: Hero or Traitor?

Post by skmo »

I've been watching more stuff on Snowden. The more I see the more impressed I am with this kid. Is he the whistle-blowing hero who helped show the evils our growingly tyrannical government is foisting on our people? Is he a traitor who laid bare our government's ability to protect our citizens? I don't know that it's fair to say he's completely one or the other, but the more I hear him and see what's happened, the more impressed I am that he's done us a valuable service.

This video is 50 minutes long, but it's certainly a very telling thing about the way our government has handled, or rather MIS-handled the whole security issue. It's not a party issue, because it's a result of both Bush and Obama, and we've yet to see how Trump will respond.
Only part of his interview with Katie Couric was aired, but there's quite a bit of information there as well.
What say ye? Guilty? Helpful? Both? Neither? I set the poll to allow people to change their votes so that if discussion of the case brings you a change of heart.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Re: Edward Snowden: Hero or Traitor?

Post by brianj »

The option I would have chosen is not included above. Here's what it is:
Some of both, but he shouldn't be convicted of a crime or serve time. If I were President, I would issue a pardon for his actions.

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Edward Snowden: Hero or Traitor?

Post by ajax »

Russia May Turn Over Snowden to U.S.
http://www.targetliberty.com/2017/02/ru ... to-us.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NBC News has learned that U.S. intelligence has collected information that Russia is considering turning over Edward Snowden as a “gift” to President Donald Trump — who has called the NSA leaker a “spy” and a “traitor” who deserves to be executed.

“That’s according to a senior U.S. official who has analyzed a series of highly sensitive intelligence reports detailing Russian deliberations and who says a Snowden handover is one of various ploys to ‘curry favor’ with Trump. A second source in the intelligence community confirms the intelligence about the Russian conversations and notes it has been gathered since the inauguration.”

Now, this would be a serious problem for Trump fanboys. President Trump will never let Snowden walk, no way, no how.

"I think he's a total traitor and I would deal with him harshly," Trump said in July. "And if I were president, Putin would give him over." In October 2013, Trump tweeted: "Snowden is a spy who should be executed."

-RW

(via PoliticalWire)