Our Benevolent Dictator (Trumpsters Beware...Aorta-Popping Material)

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Our Benevolent Dictator (Trumpsters Beware...Aorta-Popping Material)

Post by Silver »

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-02-0 ... g-sheriffs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Trump Offers To "Destroy Career" Of Texas State Senator At Meeting With National Sheriffs' Assoc.

by Tyler Durden
Feb 7, 2017 3:24 PM

Earlier today President Trump met with the National Sheriff's Association at the White House. The visit was supposed to be just another friendly meet and greet, but it took a slightly awkward turn when President Trump offered to "destroy the career" of a Texas state senator who is allegedly promoting a piece of legislation that would benefit Mexican drug cartels.

During the meeting, Rockwall County, Texas, Sheriff Harold Eavenson told President Trump about a piece of asset forfeiture legislation he believes would aid Mexican drug cartels...here's the full conversation:

Eavenson: "There's a state senator in Texas that was talking about legislation to require conviction before we could receive that forfeiture money."

Trump: "Do you believe that?"

Eavenson: "And I told him that the cartel would build a monument to him in Mexico if he could get that legislation passed."

Trump: "Who is that state senator? I want to hear his name. We'll destroy his career..."
And here is the conversation caught on tape:

Reached later by The Dallas Morning News, Eavenson declined to identify the lawmaker that he inadvertently threw directly under the bus saying that he didn't take the president's offer to destroy the senator literally.

"He was just being emphatic that he did not agree with that senator's position," Eavenson said, adding of the senator in question, "I'm not into assassinating his character."

"He was making a point about how much he opposed that kind of philosophy," the sheriff said. "I appreciated what the president said. I can assure you that he is on our side."

Eavenson will become president of the National Sheriff's Association in June. He has been active in the Sheriff's Association of Texas.
As the Dallas Morning News also pointed out, only two Texas state senators have introduced asset forfeiture legislations this year, Republican Konni Burton and Democrat Juan "Chuy" Hinojosa.

Two Texas senators have offered legislation this year to require conviction before someone's assets could be seized. Sen. Konni Burton, a Republican who often pushes civil-liberties legislation to protect personal information and property, was a fierce critic of Trump during the campaign. She and Sen. Juan "Chuy" Hinojosa, a McAllen Democrat, have formed an unlikely team pushing this asset forfeiture legislation.

Hinojosa said he didn't believe he was the target of Eavenson's comments. But he said he wasn't concerned about Trump's promise to wreak havoc on a senator's career.

"I don't know the sheriff," Hinojosa said. "Quite frankly, I don't pay much attention to what Trump says anymore."

Several other senators have also supported this change in the past, including two civil-libertarian Republicans: Bob Hall, whose district includes Rockwall County and Don Huffines of Dallas. Aides to Burton, Hall and Huffines could not immediately be reached for comment.
Never a dull moment in the Trump White House...

View image on Twitter

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Our Benevolent Dictator (Trumpsters Beware...Aorta-Popping Material)

Post by David13 »

Well nothing popped for me.
I don't know if Trump has studied the asset forfeiture situation yet or not. But I trust that when he and the staff do, they will make the right decisions.
dc

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

Trump Threatens to ‘Destroy’ Texas Senator Who Wants to Stop Police From Taking Money and Other Property
http://www.targetliberty.com/2017/02/tr ... texas.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I really hope there is no Trump Fanboy that is going to support Trump on this.

The Daily Beast reports:
President Donald Trump on Tuesday offered to “destroy” the career of a Texas state senator after a sheriff complained about the lawmaker at a White House meeting.

Trump was speaking with representatives from the National Sheriff’s Association. Sheriff Harold Eavenson mentioned an unnamed state senator, who he said has introduced legislation that restricts law enforcement powers to seize money, drugs, and personal property. The practice is known as civil-asset forfeiture.

“We’ve got a state senator in Texas who was talking about introducing legislation to require a conviction before we can receive that forfeiture money,” Eavenson said. “And I told him that the cartel would build a monument to him in Mexico if he could get that legislation passed.”

“Can you believe that?” Trump said, shaking his head. “Want to give his name? We’ll destroy his career.”
There is nothing to joke about here, Civil-asset forfeiture is a horrific abuse of police power.

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

Updated! Meet the Libertarian-Leaning GOP State Senator Whose Career Donald Trump Wants To Destroy
http://reason.com/blog/2017/02/07/meet- ... op-state-s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
UPDATED (2:20 P.M.): The Texas state senator in question below turns out to be a complicated matter. Scroll down for new information.

Donald Trump campaigned as "the law and order" candidate, so it's not surprising that he is likely to govern as one, too.

Still, when it comes to the issue of civil-asset forfeiture laws, even the dirtiest of Dirty Harry wannabes will grant there's something really creepy about the cops and the courts having the ability to take your stuff without even charging you with anything, much less convicting you of anything.

But here's an exchange via the Twitter feed of CNBC's Steve Kopack that should send chills down the spine—and bile up the windpipe—of every American who gives a damn about the Constitution, the Bill of Rights, and whether or not Lady Gaga included "under God" during her satanic Super Bowl incantations (she did).
Civil-asset forfeiture, which often doesn't require any sort of criminal charge, is big bucks. As Scott Shackford has noted, in 2014, the FBI alone snatched up $5 billion in seized assets. It's common for local police departments to grab whatever they can from whomever they can (often, the relatives or friends of people assumed to be drug dealers and the like). C.J. Ciaramella took a long, disturbing look at the way the state of Mississippi gilds its budget with seized assets.

Again, we're not talking about drug lords who are charged, have their assets frozen, are found guilty, and then have their assets sold at auction to pay reparations, or anything like that. The way a ton of asset forfeiture works is that the cops, or a prosecutor, or somebody else takes your stuff, claiming that it's connected to some sort of illegal activity. You may or may not be involved in anything illegal, but it's on you to get your stuff back. The likely next attorney general, Sen. Jeff Sessions, is a big fan of asset forfeiture, so it's likely to be an issue, even in states that are trying to rein it in. And it should be reined in, like a crazy horse: It's not about law and order, it's about unaccountable power.

The Texas state senator referred to in the video above appears to be Konni Burton of Colleyville. Get this, too: She's a libertarian-leaning Republican and here's how she explained the situation to the Texas Observer:
"Right now, law enforcement can seize property under civil law, and it denies people their basic rights," said Burton, who sits on the Senate Criminal Justice Committee. "There's a basic problem with this process that I want to correct."...

Now it's uniting politicians who might not otherwise be willing to break bread, according to Matt Simpson, senior policy strategist for ACLU Texas.

"It's an issue that crosses party lines; it's not Democrat versus Republican or liberal versus conservative," he told the Observer, adding that he hasn't "seen a bill we wouldn't support in relation to civil asset forfeiture reform, especially some of the stronger ones."
Local police departments and other law enforcement agencies in Texas get about $42 million a year from seized assets, creating a moral hazard that even Donald Trump would recognize. And as far as ruining Burton's career—or that of anyone else involved in the effort—the president might want to consider that regular Americans understand that there's been a massive decrease in violent and property crime over the past couple of decades. These days, people are often worried about how bullying authorities are likely to act, creating a bipartisan push for all sorts of criminal-justice reform.

Update: Various Texas media sources say that it's not actually clear whom Trump and Sheriff Harold Eavenson are discussing in the video clip above. Eavenson has refused to name the senator directly and now the Dallas Morning News reports that in addition to Burton, other possible senators include en. Juan "Chuy" Hinojosa (D-McAllen), Bob Hall (R-Rockwall), and Don Huffines (R-Dallas).
"He was just being emphatic that he did not agree with that senator's position," Eavenson said, adding of the senator in question, "I'm not into assassinating his character."

Eavenson will become president of the National Sheriff's Association in June. He has been active in the Sheriff's Association of Texas.
Well, sure, maybe. Then again, the fact that there are so many suspects underscores how unpopular civil-asset forfeiture is across traditional political parties.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

I am becoming less and less surprised that some LDS on the LDS FREEDOM Forum really aren't proponents of freedom after all.

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

Silver wrote:I am becoming less and less surprised that some LDS on the LDS FREEDOM Forum really aren't proponents of freedom after all.
You're right Silver. Milk toast, veneer liberty lovers, saluting the flag, singing the national anthem etc. Liberty always comes with a caveat. "I love liberty, but..." The "but" is always followed by neat system they have planned for others. What's that last line in Bastiat's The Law?

"And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works."

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

ajax wrote:
Silver wrote:I am becoming less and less surprised that some LDS on the LDS FREEDOM Forum really aren't proponents of freedom after all.
You're right Silver. Milk toast, veneer liberty lovers, saluting the flag, singing the national anthem etc. Liberty always comes with a caveat. "I love liberty, but..." The "but" is always followed by neat system they have planned for others. What's that last line in Bastiat's The Law?

"And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works."
What part of the 4th Amendment do Trump and his fanboys not understand? The politicians/sheriffs/military raising their right hands to the square and swearing that they'll defend the Constitution doesn't mean much these days.

Amendment IV
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Reminder: Privacy and freedom from unreasonable searches are really God-given rights. The Bill of Rights was merely meant to give notice to the feds that they cannot breach those sacrosanct items of liberty.

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

I renew my assertion that Trump is a chump, but not for the same reason as people here who want to make sure everyone believes Trump is a maniacal despot.

I believe he's still the same blowhard he's been. He's not planning on "Destroying" this senator, he's making the same kind of "Locker Room" statement that got him in trouble. He's not going to go around grabbing women by the body part he described, just like he's not going to destroy the senator's career, but he's still learning that being President isn't the same as being in the CEO chair. When you're worth billions, you can say all kinds of things you want and people will laugh along with you because they want access to your billions, and they don't want to get in trouble with you. However, he's going to learn damned quick he can't go around shooting his mouth off anytime he wants.

So far he's turning out better than I was certain he would. He's still a chump, and he needs to learn how to actually act like a leader if he doesn't want to get shot down at every turn, but he's not a Snidley-Whiplash mustache-twirling character scheming at every turn how to enslave the country as some here want him to appear.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

skmo wrote:I renew my assertion that Trump is a chump, but not for the same reason as people here who want to make sure everyone believes Trump is a maniacal despot.

I believe he's still the same blowhard he's been. He's not planning on "Destroying" this senator, he's making the same kind of "Locker Room" statement that got him in trouble. He's not going to go around grabbing women by the body part he described, just like he's not going to destroy the senator's career, but he's still learning that being President isn't the same as being in the CEO chair. When you're worth billions, you can say all kinds of things you want and people will laugh along with you because they want access to your billions, and they don't want to get in trouble with you. However, he's going to learn damned quick he can't go around shooting his mouth off anytime he wants.

So far he's turning out better than I was certain he would. He's still a chump, and he needs to learn how to actually act like a leader if he doesn't want to get shot down at every turn, but he's not a Snidley-Whiplash mustache-twirling character scheming at every turn how to enslave the country as some here want him to appear.
Except...except, he's nominated the same cabal of bankers and warmongers and CFR traitors that his predecessors have used in their administrations going back for decades. Things walk like and talk like a duck long enough and pretty soon even the dullest tool in the shed should realize that, by golly, it's a duck! I will grant you that what Trump and his fellow billionaires have in mind is not "destroy" America. They don't think of it that way. It's just that they're so much smarter than us. They know what's best for us. That's why we must accept them as our benevolent oligarchy. Things always turn out for our good when we let our betters rule over us.

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

Trump promises "ruthless" war on drugs and to give law enforcement the weapons they need.
http://www.targetliberty.com/2017/02/tr ... nsane.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ugh. Trump-fanboy-faux-liberty-lovers unite!

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

If Hillary Clinton had been in a meeting with the leadership of the National Sheriff's Association at the White House and had said of some state senator, "We'll destroy his career," the hue and cry from the Trumpster Peanut Gallery here would have been ear-splitting. When their man says it, oh well, ho hum. There's a word for that sort of attitude/action. Can't quite remember it now, but it rhymes with bureaucracy.

Trump = Obama = Bush 2 = Clinton = Bush 1, etc.

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

Silver wrote:If Hillary Clinton had been in a meeting with the leadership of the National Sheriff's Association at the White House and had said of some state senator, "We'll destroy his career," the hue and cry from the Trumpster Peanut Gallery here....
Leaving the win aside, Trump is still, in many ways, acting like a babbling buffoon. The hildabeast has so much blood on her hands it's way up past her elbows.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

David13 wrote:Well nothing popped for me.
I don't know if Trump has studied the asset forfeiture situation yet or not. But I trust that when he and the staff do, they will make the right decisions.
dc
In the case of civil asset forfeiture, the right thing is to repeal a terrible law that allows for a person's property to be stolen by government without any due process. They can steal your stuff with nothing more than an accusation that doesn't begin to approach probable cause or even reasonable suspicion. Then if you want it back you will have to almost immediately invest thousands of dollars into the fight.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

Well, good ol' Trump. He's going to make Amerika great again. He's going to stomp on our heads forever so we know what a beautiful job he's doing. It will be yuuuge. Surely, he'll save us all because none of us will be allowed to have a differing opinion. And surely he shall do it.

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

Trump sides with the sheriffs on their racket
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... 36b16c0853" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
George Will

The technique has been called (by this columnist) “immunity through profusion.” By keeping the molten lava of falsehoods flowing, the volcano that is Donald Trump can inundate the public and overwhelm his auditors’ capacity to produce a comparable flow of corrections. This technique was on display the other day when the president met with some sheriffs.

He treated them to a whopper that is one of his hardy perennials, market-tested during the campaign: He said the U.S. murder rate is “the highest it’s been in 47 years.” (Not even close: The rate — killings per 100,000 residents — is far below the rates in the 1970s and 1980s.) This Trump Truth (Sen. Eugene McCarthy’s axiom: Anything said three times in Washington becomes a fact) distracted attention from his assertion to the sheriffs that there is “no reason” to reform law enforcement’s civil forfeiture practices.

There is no reason for the sheriffs to want to reform a racket that lines their pockets. For the rest of us, strengthening the rule of law and eliminating moral hazard are each sufficient reasons.

Civil forfeiture is the power to seize property suspected of being produced by, or involved in, crime. If property is suspected of being involved in criminal activity, law enforcement can seize it. Once seized, the property’s owners bear the burden of proving that they were not involved in such activity, which can be a costly and protracted procedure. So, civil forfeiture proceeds on the guilty-until-proven-innocent principle. Civil forfeiture forces property owners, often people of modest means, to hire lawyers and do battle against a government with unlimited resources.

And here is why the sheriffs probably purred contentedly when Trump endorsed civil forfeiture law — if something so devoid of due process can be dignified as law: Predatory law enforcement agencies can pocket the proceeds from the sale of property they seize.

The Constitution’s Fifth Amendment says property shall not be taken without just compensation, and the 14th Amendment says it shall not be taken without due process of law. President Trump, 18 days from having sworn to “preserve, protect and defend” the Constitution, sympathized with the sheriffs’ complaint that they are being pressured to reform civil forfeiture practices.

These practices are a textbook example of moral hazard — of an incentive for perverse behavior. They give law enforcement a financial interest in the outcome of cases.

It is conceivable that Trump’s studiousness has been stretched too thin to encompass the facts of civil asset forfeiture. He says he would like to “look into” it. Meanwhile, however, he is for it because he assumes “bad people” are behind the pressure for reform. And speaking of a Texas state legislator who favors reform, Trump said, “We’ll destroy his career.” Just another day on America’s steep ascending path back to greatness.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

Silence from the Trump supporters...typical.

Serragon
captain of 1,000

Post by Serragon »

ajax wrote:Trump promises "ruthless" war on drugs and to give law enforcement the weapons they need.
http://www.targetliberty.com/2017/02/tr ... nsane.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I agree that these positions are troubling. It would be nice to have a pro-liberty president.

This is not unexpected however. The only place I can see where Trump wants less government is in regulating business.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

Serragon wrote:
ajax wrote:Trump promises "ruthless" war on drugs and to give law enforcement the weapons they need.

I agree that these positions are troubling. It would be nice to have a pro-liberty president.

This is not unexpected however. The only place I can see where Trump wants less government is in regulating business.
That's right. 1,000 bonus points for you, Serragon. Sadly, anyone with a brain and integrity could have known of Trump's proclivity for the support of a big-business/Wall Street/fedgov combination prior to the election, just as a conscientious participant in the election process in 2007-8 could have known of Obama's Marxist outlook. Only idiots and the very naive would say about Obamacare or Obama or Trump, we've got to pass it (elect him) to see what's in it (his heart). Now...regret and chagrin will be the daily fare of the Trumpsters.

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

Serragon wrote: The only place I can see where Trump wants less government is in regulating business.
We'll see. As Robert Wenzel notes:
Note well: He said he is going to lower the tax burden on "American business." There is nothing wrong with cutting business taxes or any other taxes. But that is not the totality of what is going on here. This will ultimately result in make-up taxes via border adjustment taxes, direct tariffs, and other scams. This is about moving pieces around on the chessboard, not much else.

It's the type of scam a first-rate street hustler would try to pull off.
http://www.economicpolicyjournal.com/20 ... n-2-3.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Serragon
captain of 1,000

Post by Serragon »

ajax wrote:
Serragon wrote: The only place I can see where Trump wants less government is in regulating business.
We'll see. As Robert Wenzel notes:
Note well: He said he is going to lower the tax burden on "American business." There is nothing wrong with cutting business taxes or any other taxes. But that is not the totality of what is going on here. This will ultimately result in make-up taxes via border adjustment taxes, direct tariffs, and other scams. This is about moving pieces around on the chessboard, not much else.

It's the type of scam a first-rate street hustler would try to pull off.
http://www.economicpolicyjournal.com/20 ... n-2-3.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I will amend my statement to say that the only place he has openly advocated for less government is regarding business regulations. I agree that we need to wait and see on that.

One of the great problems with our society is that very few people actually desire liberty. It is evident even on a pro-liberty site like this. Most people I engage with say they want liberty, but after further conversation what they really want is freedom of leisure, entertainment, etc. They would prefer someone else be responsible for all the serious things and all consequences.

The idea of being solely responsible for your own survival, prosperity, and happiness is so frightening to most people that they would rather be enslaved than face those stark realities.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

Silver wrote:[

Now...regret and chagrin will be the daily fare of the Trumpsters.

No regrets.
Sorry to burst your Hate Trump/Never Trump bandwagon bubble fest, but all I have to do is consider the alternative. The beast, the female hellion, Satan's spawn, you know who. The Hella Beast Hellary.
And the wildest thought of regret vanishes.

And a big issue for me first and foremost is gun rights. My thought was that it wouldn't be long til the beast ordered the military or the Nat'l Guard to go door to door to seize all guns in the hands of registered Rep ... er no registered owners (but of course not convicted criminals).
And I don't think Trump is that big on gun rights but his son is. So he will have a good influence.
Second, I figured with the beast there would be no end to the continued perversions, like Obobo putting men in the women's (girls) bathroom. Only much worse abominations with the beast.
That's about as far as I need to go with it.
Less business regulation, fine. Stop the terrorist immigrants, good. Etc.
The job is Trump's, not mine.
dc

Oh, and don't think for one minute that I don't know beyond the shadow of a doubt that many of you right here on this forum would make a better President than Trump. I know that.
But there is one problem.
We need merely to look to the politician's first job.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

David13 wrote:

Now...regret and chagrin will be the daily fare of the Trumpsters.

No regrets.
Sorry to burst your Hate Trump/Never Trump bandwagon bubble fest, but all I have to do is consider the alternative. The beast, the female hellion, Satan's spawn, you know who. The Hella Beast Hellary.
And the wildest thought of regret vanishes.

And a big issue for me first and foremost is gun rights. My thought was that it wouldn't be long til the beast ordered the military or the Nat'l Guard to go door to door to seize all guns in the hands of registered Rep ... er no registered owners (but of course not convicted criminals).
And I don't think Trump is that big on gun rights but his son is. So he will have a good influence.
Second, I figured with the beast there would be no end to the continued perversions, like Obobo putting men in the women's (girls) bathroom. Only much worse abominations with the beast.
That's about as far as I need to go with it.
Less business regulation, fine. Stop the terrorist immigrants, good. Etc.
The job is Trump's, not mine.
dc

Oh, and don't think for one minute that I don't know beyond the shadow of a doubt that many of you right here on this forum would make a better President than Trump. I know that.
But there is one problem.
We need merely to look to the politician's first job.
You do whatever you have to do to justify a man who has already broken his oath to defend the Constitution.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

Silver wrote:
David13 wrote:

You do whatever you have to do to justify a man who has already broken his oath to defend the Constitution.

You are dreaming. He has done no such thing. Not even close.
dc

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

David13 wrote:
Silver wrote:
David13 wrote:

You are dreaming. He has done no such thing. Not even close.
dc
I'll let you reread the Constitution and get back to me on that one.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

Ok getting back to you here, you must realize he has not violated the Constitution, yet.
And I don't think any of us who voted for him consider him our friend.
But we still consider him far closer to a friend, and far far far less of any enemy than the alternative, the beast, etc. as I outlined above.
dc