Why Do We Obsess With Leaders?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Why Do We Obsess With Leaders?

Post by ajax »

And why do we think they will help us?

Luke 22:25-26
"And he said unto them, The kings of the Gentiles exercise lordship over them; and they that exercise authority upon them are called benefactors. But ye shall not be so..."

What ever happened to the American spirit of freedom, liberty, individualism?
Bastiat: Governing is so pleasurable a profession that everyone aspires to engage in it. Hence, the demagogues never cease telling the people: “We are aware of your sufferings, and we deplore them. Things would be different if we were governing you.”

DBx: While I long ago ceased to be surprised by people’s naiveté about the motives and abilities of government officials – such naiveté, after all, is the norm, even among many of those who outwardly profess to be suspicious of the motives and abilities of government officials – I will never understand such naiveté. The notion of empowering strangers to run your life, even if those strangers promise to improve your lot in life with resources and freedoms seized from other people who allegedly deserve to have their resources and freedoms seized, has always struck me as about the dumbest notion that any human being can embrace. But I realize that I’m among the tiny handful of odd-people-out here, for most human beings do seem to believe – indeed, positively cherish the fallacy – that politics is splendidly transformative as long as the right ‘team’ is in charge.
http://cafehayek.com/2017/02/quotation- ... -1978.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Why Do We Obsess With Leaders?

Post by rewcox »

Our political leaders:

Get us involved in wars.
Raise our taxes.
Put stop lights on freeways (tolls).
Try to tell us how to believe.
Add laws that make our lives worse.

Etc.

Serragon
captain of 1,000

Post by Serragon »

We obsess with leaders because the government has so much power.

The more power the government has, the greater the stakes.

If we had an extremely limited govt that was only involved in preserving our natural rights, it would matter very little who our leaders were.

Toto
captain of 1,000

Post by Toto »

Why Do We Obsess With Leaders? And why do we think they will help us?

Because we’re on our way back to the future, and they have the road map….

The average age of the world's great civilizations has been 200 years. These nations have progressed through this sequence: from bondage to spiritual faith from spiritual faith to great courage from courage to liberty from liberty to abundance from abundance to selfishness from selfishness to complacency from complacency to apathy from apathy to dependency from dependency back to bondage."
-- Alexander Fraser Tytler (1742-1813)

And...

As a behavioral scientist, it appears that a vast share of folks in our nation have chosen to relinquish a quality no doubt essential to authentic human life….. an existential responsibility to think for themselves, an ontological need to discount the petty concerns that drive the minds of those directed by triviality. It seems that such individuals have become so fantastically preoccupied with, essentially enamored by, the norm of what others think, they have effectively relinquished, through a process of cognitive foreclosure, the capacity to think for themselves.
--Doug Soderstrom

That's about the best I can come up with because I'm too dumb to think this kind of stuff up on my own.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

I agree with what the others have said here.
Government, power, abuse and all that.
But, I have to say Ajax, I don't obsess with them.
I know you do.
But truthfully, it all don't matter to me. One way or another they keep on with their evil.
As I've said, I think Trump will be a temporary set back to the ruin planned by the globalists, but only temporary. So I was concerned about his win, and prayed very much for his election.
But now I can go back to just living my own life.
One man (me) makes but the tiniest tiniest bit of difference.
I can write and do a million things with the leftist lunatics in control here, and ... it does no good. They just keep on with their evil.
dc