Who Was Mary Magdalene Thoughts/Opinions

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Son of Liberty
captain of 100

Who Was Mary Magdalene Thoughts/Opinions

Post by Son of Liberty »

Who was Mary Magdalene thoughts and opinions? I recently got into a conversation with my Dad about her and he pointed out that there is a growing population who believe she was Jesus's wife. I wanted to know what people here on LDSFF believe or know about her.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Who Was Mary Magdalene Thoughts/Opinions

Post by Elizabeth »

The wife of Jesus.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

... Mormon leader Orson Hyde taught that the Marriage at Cana was Jesus’ own wedding, that Jesus was a polygamist and that the sisters Mary Magdalene and Martha were among his wives. ... https://sounddoctrineministries.wordpre ... g-at-cana/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

simpleton
captain of 1,000

Post by simpleton »

I agree with Orson Hyde ....

Matchmaker
captain of 1,000

Post by Matchmaker »

I don't think He was married, but He could have been. What do the latter-day Prophets say since Orson?

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

Matchmaker wrote:I don't think He was married, but He could have been. What do the latter-day Prophets say since Orson?
Pay your tithing.

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

I fully believe she was Jesus' wife, and that they had children. Christ set the example for us to follow in all things.

Rensai
captain of 1,000

Post by Rensai »

There's no evidence Christ ever had a wife and I don't believe for a second Mary Magdalene or any of the other women mentioned in the bible were his wife. Christ only came to this earth to fulfill the role of the redeemer. He was perfect, he had no need to come in order to learn and grow like the rest of us. His wife would be his equal, so I think it more likely she never even had to come to earth. It makes no sense to me to think that Christ would be married to a woman like Mary Magdalene, who is clearly his inferior.

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

Rensai wrote:Christ only came to this earth to fulfill the role of the redeemer. He was perfect, he had no need to come in order to learn and grow like the rest of us.
In order to fulfill all righteousness and to show us example, he was baptized. Don't you think it is possible that he could have shown us example with respect to the commandment to "man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife"?
Rensai wrote:His wife would be his equal, so I think it more likely she never even had to come to earth.
How would she then receive her body,
if she has no mortal probation?
Rensai wrote: It makes no sense to me to think that Christ would be married to a woman like Mary Magdalene, who is clearly his inferior.
We are all inferior to Christ. Yet some of us will be exalted and become gods and inherit all that Father has.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

In my understanding, Mary Magdalene was Jesus' wife. She was his equal in every way. She was a vital component in the atonement. Without her, the atonement could not have been performed.
Last edited by Rose Garden on January 22nd, 2017, 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FTC
captain of 100

Post by FTC »

John 5:19 "Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise."

If the Father has a wife, or wives, then so does Jesus. If the Father had children, then so does Jesus. If the Father was sealed to His family, then so was Jesus. On and on and on.
Back in that day and culture Jesus was in, women were of minimal importance. It would stand to reason, that when they were included, they had vast significance. Mary Magdalene was more than just someone in Jesus' singles ward.....

Melissa
captain of 1,000

Post by Melissa »

EmmaLee wrote:I fully believe she was Jesus' wife, and that they had children. Christ set the example for us to follow in all things.
Then there would be scriptures about it and we wouldn't be debating if he was married or not.

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

Melissa wrote:
EmmaLee wrote:I fully believe she was Jesus' wife, and that they had children. Christ set the example for us to follow in all things.
Then there would be scriptures about it and we wouldn't be debating if he was married or not.
Not necessarily. You could say the same thing about much of our latter-day doctrine/beliefs. Lots of scriptures we don't have access to (yet). Also, the Bible is very incomplete and has been changed dramatically in places. Besides, I'm not 'debating' it - I'm sharing my belief - you are welcome to believe/not believe whatever you want.

Durzan
The Lord's Trusty Maverick

Post by Durzan »

BeNotDeceived wrote:... Mormon leader Orson Hyde taught that the Marriage at Cana was Jesus’ own wedding, that Jesus was a polygamist and that the sisters Mary Magdalene and Martha were among his wives. ... https://sounddoctrineministries.wordpre ... g-at-cana/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mary Magdaline was a separate person from Mary the sister of Martha & Lazarus.

butterfly
captain of 1,000

Post by butterfly »

Durzan wrote:
BeNotDeceived wrote:... Mormon leader Orson Hyde taught that the Marriage at Cana was Jesus’ own wedding, that Jesus was a polygamist and that the sisters Mary Magdalene and Martha were among his wives. ... https://sounddoctrineministries.wordpre ... g-at-cana/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mary Magdaline was a separate person from Mary the sister of Martha & Lazarus.
There's another Mary, too, right? Isn't she referred to as "the other Mary"? How do we recognize the difference between Mary Magdaline and "the other Mary"?

paulrobots
captain of 100

Post by paulrobots »

Melissa wrote:
There are, but they are apocryphal. The gospel of Judas, the gospel of Phillip. There is a parchment where Jesus defends his wife called "the gospel of Jesus' wife, but it hasn't been authenticated.

So, a lot of buts, nothing definitive.

I always thought the marriage spoken of in the New Testament was Jesus'. Why else was his mother in charge of the refreshments? People tend to only see the miracle of turning water into wine but miss the story of why.

I also believe Mary and Martha were two of his wives, and probably Mary Magdelene, too. though I can't say why. Perhaps simply because they are mentioned, they must have been known to all the writers of the gospels.

As you said above, there should be scriptures which indicate the definity of his marriage, but I will point out that there are no scriptures which state definitively that he was not married/celibate. I think this "debate" stems once again from the plain and precious truths which have been removed from the Bible.

And the angel of the Lord said unto me: Thou hast beheld that the book proceeded forth from the mouth of a Jew; and when it proceeded forth from the mouth of a Jew, it contained the plainness of the gospel of the Lord, of whom the Twelve Apostles bear record; And they bear record according to the truth which is in the Lamb of God.
Wherefore, these things go forth from the Jews in purity unto the Gentiles, according to the truth which is in God. And after they go forth by the hand of the twelve apostles of the Lamb, from the Jews unto the Gentiles, thou seest the foundation of a great and abominable church, which is most abominable above all other churches, for behold, they have taken away from the gospel of the Lamb many parts which are plain and most precious; and also many covenants of the Lord have they taken away. And all this have they done that they might pervert the right ways of the Lord, that they might blind the eyes and harden the hearts of the children of men. Wherefore, thou seest that after the book hath gone forth through the hands of the great and abominable church, that there are many plain and precious things taken away from the book, which is the book of the Lamb of God. And after these plain and precious things were taken away, it goeth forth unto all the nations of the Gentiles; and after it goeth forth unto all the nations of the Gentiles, yea, even across the many waters which thou hast seen with the Gentiles which have gone forth out of captivity, thou seest because of the many plain and precious things which have been taken out of the book, which were plain unto the understanding of the children of men, according to the plainness which is the Lamb of God--because of these things which are taken away out of the gospel of the Lamb, an exceeding great many do stumble, yea, insomuch that Satan hath great power over them. (I Nephi 13:24-29)

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Melissa wrote:
No, that's not true. We do not have all the scriptures that are available to us. You might notice that the Book of Mormon says very little about women. Why is that? My belief is because we are not ready for those scriptures.

DesertWonderer
captain of 1,000

Post by DesertWonderer »

^^^This.

also this:

John 12:3King James Version (KJV)

3 Then took Mary a pound of ointment of spikenard, very costly, and anointed the feet of Jesus, and wiped his feet with her hair: and the house was filled with the odour of the ointment.

All I will saw about the above verse is that it describes a sacred priesthood ordinance that a woman performs upon her husband.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Furthermore, there is a reason why Jesus first showed himself, not to Peter or James or John or any of his other disciples or any man, but instead to Mary. Many things in the gospels are implied and appropriately so.

BruceRGilbert
captain of 1,000

Post by BruceRGilbert »

History of the Church, 5:424; spelling modernized; from a discourse given by Joseph Smith on June 11, 1843, in Nauvoo, Illinois; reported by Wilford Woodruff and Willard Richards
If a man gets a fulness of the priesthood of God, he has to get it in the same way that Jesus Christ obtained it, and that was by keeping all the commandments and obeying all the ordinances of the house of the Lord. …

“All men who become heirs of God and joint-heirs with Jesus Christ will have to receive the fulness of the ordinances of his kingdom; and those who will not receive all the ordinances will come short of the fulness of that glory.
"Obeying all the ordinances of the house of the Lord" includes entering into the New and Everlasting Covenant of Marriage. It is not possible for a man to receive a "fulness of the priesthood" without being married . . . "man is not without the woman in the sight of the Lord."

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

I don't believe Jesus was married to anyone.

DesertWonderer
captain of 1,000

Post by DesertWonderer »

Robin Hood wrote:I don't believe Jesus was married to anyone.
Why?

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Incidentally, The first commandment of the 613 mitzvot (commandments) in the Torah is “be fruitful and multiply” (Genesis 1:28). The mortal Yeshua would not have consciously chosen to be single nor celibate as a first century Judean following normative Torah.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

To the OP: We really don't know. Mary Magdalene could have been Jesus' wife, but we don't know if she was His wife or a devoted disciple. The one thing I can say is that the claim she was a prostitute is a myth. That story dates back to Pope Gregory 1 around 500 years after the crucifixion.

To those who don't believe the Savior was married: Why was He baptized? In church we are taught that He was baptized because that ordinance is required for salvation. Are we not taught that sealing to a spouse is also required for exaltation? I feel total confidence in saying that not only was our Savior married, He was also a parent.

Matchmaker
captain of 1,000

Post by Matchmaker »

Jesus was not like the average man. His father was our Heavenly Father, so he was half God and half mortal, with special powers and abilities not possessed by the average man. If he had married a mortal woman, his children would have been part God. Who knows what the consequences would have been in that case. Could they have chosen to live forever and not die?