A letter to mormons from a non-mormon

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
carbon dioxide
captain of 100

Re: A letter to mormons from a non-mormon

Post by carbon dioxide »

anonymousutahatheist wrote:Sorry for this being long but I just wanted to share

“But Seriously,” you're thinking, “Hillary was that bad.” No, she was NOT that bad. Hillary, again, was flawed, but she was one of the most qualified humans to ever be president,
The fact that Obama asserted this does not make it true. She was a first lady, one term senator, and a Sec. of State and had no real accomplishments in any of these things. I am not that impressed. If that makes her one of the most qualified, that does not say much about her and says more about all the presidents that we have had.

Yes Hillary had many ambitious plans. All candidates have ambitious plans. Most of their plans never come to pass because we do not elect kings or dictators in this country but presidents who much work with Congress and pass laws that will not get shot down by the courts. But lets look at some of these "plans".

"She had a childcare plan that would give maternity AND paternity leave."

Sounds great for any family BUT who pays for this. That is the problem. Perhaps its part of "taxing the rich." Always seem to be the case with "progressives" even though many small businesses are not run by rich people and many will have a hard time paying for this.

"She had plan to make State College tuition free for millions of americans and free Community College."

Another wonderful thing but once again who pays for this. Once again probably the fall back idea of TAXING THE RICH. Also this idea has a problem with what to do about those who already have college debt. You better believe those who have recently graduated with massive amounts of debt will want to have their debt paid off as well. They would have good reason to be angry that these new students get a free ride but they are stuck with the debt.

"She had a comprehensive mental health plan."

Mental health issues are important but Trump is not against mental health coverage. This can still happen without Hillary.

"She had an immigration plan."

Yeah. Pretty much the same messed up plan that was passed in 1986. The people are tired of promises by the government of border enforcement in exchange for gifts to illegal aliens. Secure the border first. Prove to the people that we have shut down the pipeline of illegals coming in and then we can talk about what to do with the illegal aliens already here. Believe it or not, walls and fences do work. They exist for a reason in society. Even the White House is surrounded by a wall. I would assume it was put there to lower the number of people getting on the property without permission. It was not put there for architecture reasons.

1. I want to quit criticizing mormons for “running the State” and “taking all our money.” It would be ridiculous to not accept that a state with a wide majority of one religion would have no affect on the way it is legislated

Agree. The demographics in any state will have a relationship of how it is run.

2. I want to never again say nasty vulgar insults about mormons, whether it be to their face or nameless on the internet and condemn those that do.

Agree and LDS could return the favor by being more charitable to those not of our faith.

3. I will not judge you for your “strange” religious practices if you refuse to judge anyone because of their “strange” lifestyle choices. As long you're in no danger and you can carry on your lifestyle, who cares? That is living in a free society

Agree. All religions or faiths have strange views and practices to those that are outsiders.

4. Stop with the stupid liquor laws. Surely you cant say you're not trying to impose your religious beliefs on us drinkers? I understand that you don't want drinking to be normalized in your world and you're probably mostly worried about your kids. Maybe for a change though, this kind of education could be more focused in classroom and moral issues could be stressed more in the home

I agree. The WOW is directed at members of the Church. Also LDS who live outside of Utah seem to do fine in those places where alcohol laws are more liberal. This is an area LDS should used charity and allow non-LDS to use their agency.

5. Stop with the stupid sex-ed. Abstinence only education doesn't work. Key word is education. Of course abstinence is the only sure fire way to keep from getting pregnant, but that form of sex-ed only leaves teens more confused. They still have natural desires, but no idea of how their bodies even work. So sex-ed could be more robust, ensuring that kids know whats going on and how to protect themselves. If they need to avoid sex because of spiritual protection, then that should be focussed on at Church and in the Home, isn't that a fair compromise? One great benefit is that it will lower teenage pregnancies and abortions. No doubt both of those would reduce needs for avoidable abortions, and reduce a strain on welfare benefits.

The reality is kids in high school already know how babies are made. Sex ed reveals nothing that 98% already know. Also Utah does have a lower pregnancy rate than the national average. STD transmission is also lower. Overall it seems to work. There will always be kids who get pregnant and get STD regardless of how much sex ed you give them. In fact STD rates have trended up nationally even though there is plenty of sex ed going on.

6. Lets lead the nation on working to make voting easier. This should be common sense and bi-partisan but it is another victim of the Obama Hate years. Everyone that can, should vote. Lets set the standard in our state that we truly believe all Utahns should take party in their patriotic duty.

As long as illegal aliens are not voting, I am fine with this. However how hard is it for a person to get a valid photo ID? I don't care how poor one is, they can get a photo ID in America. Elections don't turn up suddenly.

7. Lets lead the nation in a green energy party. We feel the disgusting side affects from pollution. We could lead the nation in promoting green energy. Our state is beautiful and that alone should be the driving factor behind protecting its health

I am for energy. I don't care where I get my power from as long as its cheap and available. I am against regulation without representation. All regulations enforced by the EPA should be passed by Congress. The EPA should not be allowed to write up its own rules and then enforce its own rules under the idea they are simply following the "clean air act".

Hivetyrant36
captain of 100

Post by Hivetyrant36 »

"Was Obama that bad?" Wow. This sums up the stupidity in this nation. When ignoring a slander and making a rude comment to get somebody to leave is the same thing to admitting it...

Benjamin_LK
captain of 1,000

Post by Benjamin_LK »

captainfearnot wrote:
paulrobots wrote:Just as obama was elected by people who had lived through GW Bush, and on and on. That's how it works, get over it.

This change happens every four or eight years. The next person will be elected because of Trump's policies, just like Trump was elected in consequence of obama's policies. Your butt hurt is as old as America or maybe as old as democracy itself.
You misunderstand me completely. What I'm referring to is the fact that both major parties nominated someone with record-breaking unfavorability ratings. This doesn't happen every four years. This is unique in modern history.

Obama was broadly popular when he took office. So was W. So were Clinton, Bush, Reagan, Carter, on down the line. Generally, the person who wins the election enters office with positive favorability ratings. Because people generally like them, you see, and that's why they won the election.

Not so this year. Trump is entering office with the lowest approval rating ever for an incoming president.

This isn't butthurt because my side lost. If Hillary had won, she would be the one entering office with the historically low approval rating. I'm saying both sides played the game differently this year by nominating a candidate more widely hated than liked. We've entered an era of unprecedented polarization where each side cares more about hurting the other than reaching even the broadest consensus.
Revenge was not a motive in the general sense. Some wanted to vote the libs out of office, felt he was the lesser of two evils, etc. Many motives were present among the voters. He won the Primaries is the reason why he became the nominee. The motivation of those who voted for him varied on an individual basis.

cayenne
captain of 100

Post by cayenne »

Obama lied, and lied again, and again, in fact it was difficult to find him ever telling the truth. This goes for most politicians and for that matter many people.

eddie
captain of 1,000

Post by eddie »

LDX wrote:I used to think that utah mormons would be more pro-inmigration because a large percentage were missionaries in some other part of the world..
But I guess is the same as any other group of people...
What does being a missionary have to do with illegal immigration breaking this country? We believe in obeying the laws of the land.

sandman45
captain of 1,000

Post by sandman45 »

Both candidates work for the interests of the real people in charge.. this is just a distraction to what is really going on.. "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!" Just keep watching THEIR television programs, news, and fake science (their religion) and you will be in their power and lied to over and over.