Read D&C 28 this morning

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
gclayjr
captain of 1,000

Read D&C 28 this morning

Post by gclayjr »

In my daily scripture reading, I read D&C 28 this morning. It is short. Only 16 verses. I am impressed with how this story fits in with so many of the controversies being discussed right here, and right now.

It is short, clear, and to the point. I wouldn't insult you by trying to explain to you the clear and simple words written here. Just suggest that you take a moment and read it for yourself.

https://www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-testa ... ?lang=eng#

Now we may be lucky here on this thread. Since so many of the "Usual subjects" like to dissemble clear and simple truths to promote their favorite heresy, or hatred for the Church or its leaders, they may try to slice and dice this to promote their own agenda.

On the other hand, since I annoy them so much with my attempts to show that they do dissemble the clear words of God, and that their own writings are internally inconsistent, they tend to avoid my comments, and you may be able to read this, feel the spirit, and not have to wade through all of that stuff.

Regards,

George Clay

natasha
captain of 1,000

Re: Read D&C 28 this morning

Post by natasha »

Thank you, George....read it as you suggested and find it clear and concise. The Lord's "house" is a house of order for a reason!

Durzan
The Lord's Trusty Maverick

Post by Durzan »

The thing is, this won't deter them. they will say stuff like "This only applies to Joseph Smith, Brigham Young helped arrange the death of Joseph (or Hyrum, as some people believe that Hyrum was the true prophet during the Navoo Era), thus we are in a state of apostasy", "The revelations given by Joseph were sustained by all members of the church as binding doctrine, while the current leaders never present their revelation to the church for a sustaining vote, they just enact them," etc.

The other thing is that this doesn't get rid of the issues they bring up, wether they are valid or not. This only gives us the reason why the prophet and only the prophet can give binding revelation to the church. That doesn't mean that the prophet and the apostles can't make mistakes (but who are we to judge), or could possibly go astray (again, who are we to judge).

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

Knowing about the seer stone, the Hiram Page part is more understandable.

gclayjr
captain of 1,000

Post by gclayjr »

Durzan,
The thing is, this won't deter them
I know. I just found it inspiring, to remember, those truths we all know. Actually when I respond to threads, I tend to pay more attention, and get more gratification from how many times it is read, rather than how many times it is responded to. I feel for those silent members who are looking for inspiration, or information about how various ideas, and stuff fit into the LDS paradigm. Instead they are often confronted with a blizzard of anti Mormon, or at Least Anti current Mormon teaching rhetoric. Those people writing this garbage, dig up boatloads of stuff, and dump it on to the unwary, and I often fear that those who might not be confident in what they have learned or who may be having some crisis in their faith , may be persuaded by this BS. In fact, that IS the purpose of these guys!

So for me it is more important to write truth so that it gets read, than to get into a sparkling discussion with heretics, and haters of the LDS Church.

Regards,

George Clay

eddie
captain of 1,000

Post by eddie »

6 And thou shalt not command him who is at thy head, and at the head of the church;

Thank-you George, good way to start the morning!

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

eddie wrote:6 And thou shalt not command him who is at thy head, and at the head of the church;

And I think is related to:
D&C 1:38 What I the Lord have spoken, I have spoken, and I excuse not myself; and though the heavens and the earth pass away, my word shall not pass away, but shall all be fulfilled, whether by mine own voice or by the voice of my servants, it is the same.

And:
D&C 43:11 Purge ye out the iniquity which is among you; sanctify yourselves before me;

12 And if ye desire the glories of the kingdom, appoint ye my servant Joseph Smith, Jun., and uphold him before me by the prayer of faith.

13 And again, I say unto you, that if ye desire the mysteries of the kingdom, provide for him food and raiment, and whatsoever thing he needeth to accomplish the work wherewith I have commanded him;

14 And if ye do it not he shall remain unto them that have received him, that I may reserve unto myself a pure bpeople before me.

Mark
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Mark »

Pres. Hinckley said this to the youth of the church 20 years ago:

"Many of you are descended from pioneers in this Church. They struggled so hard; they paid such a terrible price for their faith. Be true to them and true always to the Church they loved so much. I wish that each of you would remember that tonight you heard me say that this Church is true. Other churches also do much good, but this is the “true and living church” of the Lord Jesus Christ, whose name it bears (see D&C 1:30). Be true to it. Cling to it. If you will do so it will become as an anchor in the midst of a stormy sea. It will be a light to your lives and a foundation upon which to build them. I give you my solemn testimony that this Church will never be led astray. It is in the hands of God, and should any of its leaders ever attempt to lead it astray, His is the power to remove them. He has said that He has restored His work for the last time, “never again to be destroyed nor given to other people” (D&C 138:44; see also Dan. 2:44–45)."

True words of comfort to live by in a world filled with deceit and sadness.

eddie
captain of 1,000

Post by eddie »

rewcox wrote:
eddie wrote:6 And thou shalt not command him who is at thy head, and at the head of the church;

And I think is related to:
D&C 1:38 What I the Lord have spoken, I have spoken, and I excuse not myself; and though the heavens and the earth pass away, my word shall not pass away, but shall all be fulfilled, whether by mine own voice or by the voice of my servants, it is the same.

And:
D&C 43:11 Purge ye out the iniquity which is among you; sanctify yourselves before me;

12 And if ye desire the glories of the kingdom, appoint ye my servant Joseph Smith, Jun., and uphold him before me by the prayer of faith.

13 And again, I say unto you, that if ye desire the mysteries of the kingdom, provide for him food and raiment, and whatsoever thing he needeth to accomplish the work wherewith I have commanded him;
Our Prophet and Apostles deserve whatever it takes in order to accomplish the work they have been commanded to do, I desire the mysteries of the kingdom.

14 And if ye do it not he shall remain unto them that have received him, that I may reserve unto myself a pure bpeople before me.

eddie
captain of 1,000

Post by eddie »

Mark wrote:Pres. Hinckley said this to the youth of the church 20 years ago:

"Many of you are descended from pioneers in this Church. They struggled so hard; they paid such a terrible price for their faith. Be true to them and true always to the Church they loved so much. I wish that each of you would remember that tonight you heard me say that this Church is true. Other churches also do much good, but this is the “true and living church” of the Lord Jesus Christ, whose name it bears (see D&C 1:30). Be true to it. Cling to it. If you will do so it will become as an anchor in the midst of a stormy sea. It will be a light to your lives and a foundation upon which to build them. I give you my solemn testimony that this Church will never be led astray. It is in the hands of God, and should any of its leaders ever attempt to lead it astray, His is the power to remove them. He has said that He has restored His work for the last time, “never again to be destroyed nor given to other people” (D&C 138:44; see also Dan. 2:44–45)."

True words of comfort to live by in a world filled with deceit and sadness.
Thank-you for this quote, it causes me to think of my Grandparents who rode for two weeks in a covered wagon to be sealed in the Salt Lake Temple.

gclayjr
captain of 1,000

Post by gclayjr »

Thank you all for your wonderful responses.

It is a great break from the conflict and contention that surrounds us.

Regards,

George Clay

Mark
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Mark »

gclayjr wrote:Thank you all for your wonderful responses.

It is a great break from the conflict and contention that surrounds us.

Regards,

George Clay

This is what the tone of the forum was like in its infant stages before some guy from Colorado started singing Rocky Mountain High a little bit off key then all he!! broke loose.. :ymdevil:

Separatist
captain of 1,000

Post by Separatist »

Durzan wrote:This only applies to Joseph Smith,
Good call Durzan. Extrapolation due to confirmation bias is unwarranted here imho.
2 But, behold, verily, verily, I say unto thee, no one shall be appointed to receive commandments and revelations in this church excepting my servant Joseph Smith, Jun., for he[Joseph Smith] receiveth them even as Moses.

3 And thou shalt be obedient unto the things which I shall give unto him[Joseph Smith], even as Aaron, to declare faithfully the commandments and the revelations, with power and authority unto the church.

4 And if thou art led at any time by the Comforter to speak or teach, or at all times by the way of commandment unto the church, thou mayest do it.

5 But thou shalt not write by way of commandment, but by wisdom;

6 And thou shalt not command him [Joseph Smith] who is at thy head, and at the head of the church;

7 For I have given him[Joseph Smith] the keys of the mysteries, and the revelations which are sealed, until I shall appoint unto them another in his stead.

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

Separatist wrote:
Good call Durzan. Extrapolation due to confirmation bias is unwarranted here imho.
2 But, behold, verily, verily, I say unto thee, no one shall be appointed to receive commandments and revelations in this church excepting my servant Joseph Smith, Jun., for he[Joseph Smith] receiveth them even as Moses.

3 And thou shalt be obedient unto the things which I shall give unto him[Joseph Smith], even as Aaron, to declare faithfully the commandments and the revelations, with power and authority unto the church.

4 And if thou art led at any time by the Comforter to speak or teach, or at all times by the way of commandment unto the church, thou mayest do it.

6 And thou shalt not command him [Joseph Smith] who is at thy head, and at the head of the church;

7 For I have given him[Joseph Smith] the keys of the mysteries, and the revelations which are sealed, until I shall appoint unto them another in his stead.
Gone deceptive, huh? Are you one of the Amonhies?

Separatist
captain of 1,000

Post by Separatist »

rewcox wrote:
Separatist wrote:

Gone deceptive, huh? Not sure what that means. This is how I see it. Are you one of the Amonhies? Don't know him. He's his own show.

Mark
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Mark »

Separatist wrote:

No confirmation bias Tex. "Until I shall appoint unto them another in his stead". Think it thru. Did the Lord appoint Joseph To his Prophetic calling so that when Joseph was murdered those necessary Priesthood keys went back to the spirit world with him? At that point the Lord gave up on his children and withdrew His authority and keys to administer the saving ordinances of the gospel? The restored gospel of our Lord was a 14 year project? Come on brother. Let's reason together..