Romney could still become Secretary of State

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Matchmaker
captain of 1,000

Romney could still become Secretary of State

Post by Matchmaker »

Since Marco Rubio holds the deciding vote, and he does not appear to favor Tillerson, Romney could still end up as Trump's
Secretary of State.

ebenezerarise
captain of 1,000

Re: Romney could still become Secretary of State

Post by ebenezerarise »

Give. It. Up.

paulrobots
captain of 100

Post by paulrobots »

Don't want him. Rhino traitor, backed a third party candidate in Utah trying to give the election to Hillary. Elitist northern liberal. I was surprised that Trump would even talk to him let alone consider him for his cabinet. Trump is the bigger man.

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

paulrobots wrote:Don't want him. Rhino traitor, backed a third party candidate in Utah trying to give the election to Hillary. Elitist northern liberal. I was surprised that Trump would even talk to him let alone consider him for his cabinet. Trump is the bigger man.
Or Romney publicity stunt bad mouthing trump was part of the plan to get trump more votes by Mormon haters.

Do you think bill Clinton asking trump to run was bills way of sticking it to his wife? No it was him opening the door to his buddy to be in the circle. A circle Romney is also in.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

Ezra wrote:
paulrobots wrote:Don't want him. Rhino traitor, backed a third party candidate in Utah trying to give the election to Hillary. Elitist northern liberal. I was surprised that Trump would even talk to him let alone consider him for his cabinet. Trump is the bigger man.
Or Romney publicity stunt bad mouthing trump was part of the plan to get trump more votes by Mormon haters.

Do you think bill Clinton asking trump to run was bills way of sticking it to his wife? No it was him opening the door to his buddy to be in the circle. A circle Romney is also in.

Or maybe Trump has his own circle.
dc

forwardtozion
captain of 10

Post by forwardtozion »

i love brother romney.. a man whose family's charity has been a great service to those close to me.

i only have good words for this man and his loving family.

Matchmaker
captain of 1,000

Post by Matchmaker »

ebenezerarise wrote:Give. It. Up.
Nothing is done by accident. I think there is a small chance that Trump always wanted Romney but knew if he put Romney in as his first choice that all the people who had lost respect for Mitt for trashing Trump would lose respect for Trump for choosing him, so he had to do it in a round about way - select a man as his first choice who is too controversial to get confirmed, then be "pressured" by the other Republicans to put Romney in.

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

David13 wrote:
Ezra wrote:

dc
Sure does. It includes bill and Hillary. They are good friends.

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

Rubio would really have to have conviction to oppose Trump. Is it what he truly believes? If Rubio opposes, that would mean a long term conflict with Trump.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

I believe that Romney as Secretary of State could be a very good thing. But, as Matchmaker said, making Romney a first choice would have been a bad idea. And who knows? Maybe Romney doesn't even want the job right now.

I think the best thing would be for Romney to be Trump's second SoS.

paulrobots
captain of 100

Post by paulrobots »

Ezra wrote:Sure does. It includes bill and Hillary. They were good friends.
:p :D

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

Ezra wrote:
David13 wrote:
Ezra wrote:

dc
Sure does. It includes bill and Hillary. They are good friends.
Were good friends, exactly.
You see Ezra, a person like Trump does not have friends like you and I.
He has at least 10 different levels of acquaintances and 10 or maybe 100 levels of friends. To put it a different way he has friends, but then he also has friends.
One big difference with Trump, vs the Clintons is ... he doesn't need the money. The Clintons are lining their pockets in politics. Trump has no need to do that. And it appears he is really distancing himself from his business, even tho' he doesn't have to.
He also is not a globalist shill like the Hella Beast.
So you see Ezra, where Trump is, there's friends, and then again there's friends.
dc

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

I think Romney is out, still out, and will stay out.
I think Trump just wanted to have him visit so he could rub Romney's nose in it a little bit, in a polite manner, of course.
dc

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

Matchmaker wrote: Nothing is done by accident. I think there is a small chance that Trump always wanted Romney but knew if he put Romney in as his first choice that all the people who had lost respect for Mitt for trashing Trump would lose respect for Trump for choosing him, so he had to do it in a round about way - select a man as his first choice who is too controversial to get confirmed, then be "pressured" by the other Republicans to put Romney in.
I really like your thought here matchmaker. I've always liked Romney more than most but I'm still too cynical to believe Trump ever seriously considered him. Romney would have been such a better choice than Russia's favorite American and CEO of big oil (enormous conflict of interest.) I mean what a horrendous choice!

The biggest hole in your theory is Rubio being involved but it's not a gigantic hole. Perhaps Trump thought a big oil Russia friend would not be confirmed....perhaps but not likely imho. If Romney gets in, it's far more likely that God's hand is involved if he would even intervene so much for a country that is in our sad state. See. I'm a little too cyncical. I do believe Romney is a good man however.

Matchmaker
captain of 1,000

Post by Matchmaker »

David13 wrote:I think Romney is out, still out, and will stay out.
I think Trump just wanted to have him visit so he could rub Romney's nose in it a little bit, in a polite manner, of course.
dc
You could be right. It's possible that Rubio will accept Tillerson in the end and Romney will retire from politics.