Scripture as Art

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
oneClimbs
captain of 1,000

Scripture as Art

Post by oneClimbs »

“The aim of art is to represent not the outward appearance of things, but their inward significance.” – Aristotle

“For us, divine inspiration does not mean God possesses a man, and simply dictates the inspired text to him. But rather God implants into a man’s mind a general concept. And when God does that, he allows the man to write that in the historical context in which he lives—what we call the Sitz im Leben—where ‘that is the setting in life.’ So a man may have historical inaccuracies, but God allows the man to write with those misunderstandings because what is important and what is inerrant is the theological concept God is trying to get across to mankind.” – Catholic Priest quote from movie “Rudy”

Discuss.

vertigo
captain of 10

Re: Scripture as Art

Post by vertigo »

Gotta love that movie!
I actually agree with that. That is how most of the revelations in the D&C were recorded. Joseph chose to write it in old English style and the text is his version of revelations/ visions he received. Isaiah is an excellent example of that as well.
I remember I was a little surprised at learning that, I assumed that all of the revelations were the Lord's word for word. That explains why each prophet records things differently, just as our latter day ones do.