Marijuana WOW (Can of Worms)

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Son of Liberty
captain of 100

Marijuana WOW (Can of Worms)

Post by Son of Liberty »

I would like to get the forums LDS perspective on Marijuana. Personally I don't think that it's anymore against the word of wisdom then drinking soda or being addicted to sugar or being addicted to pain pills or sleep aids. I'm of the opinion LDS folks daily from all walks of life many who are active temple recommend holders and have callings in the church are addicted to many different unhealthy substances to help them cope through out the day. So with out much further ado lets see who wants to call the Kettle Black please....

Matchmaker
captain of 1,000

Re: Marijuana WOW (Can of Worms)

Post by Matchmaker »

I think it is a way less harmful drug than the opiates, which are prescribed all the time for pain and are tragically addictive.

Spaced_Out
captain of 1,000

Post by Spaced_Out »

There might might be some medical legitimacy but not for recreational purposes - any substance that is addictive is simply bad and no good will come of it. Like any herb or powerful drug it has purposes, using it to cope is very bad. One cant justify by saying brother or sister so and so has a sugar addiction therefor I can take cannabis and it is no wrong. Sin does not work like that, can't justify by pointing our wrong in others.

Doctrine and Covenants 89:11
11 Every herb in the season thereof, and every fruit in the season thereof; all these to be used with prudence and thanksgiving.
Doctrine and Covenants 89:8
8 And again, tobacco is not for the body, neither for the belly, and is not good for man, but is an herb for bruises and all sick cattle, to be used with judgment and skill.

Todd
captain of 100

Post by Todd »

Here are brain activity scans of a brain that has been exposed to smoking marijuana over a period of time, followed by a brain that has not. I don't care what your silly soda drink rationalizations are, two wrongs don't make it right. There is a big difference between using the CBD for medical relief than the psychedelic THC consumed while smoking a joint. The science is clear, weed destroys the brain. Don't do it.
Attachments
Brain on Marijuana
Brain on Marijuana
drugbrain.jpg (84.71 KiB) Viewed 3636 times
Healthy Brain
Healthy Brain
mormalbrain.jpg (69.63 KiB) Viewed 3636 times
Last edited by Todd on January 13th, 2017, 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

markharr
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by markharr »

My opinion is that the government has no business making it illegal. There is nothing in the constitution that gave the government authority to regulate what I take into my body and the criminalization of marijuana started that precedence that local governments are starting to abuse by banning sugary drinks and trans fat and other things.

I would never use Marijuana myself. I think people who do are foolish, but they have their free agency.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

If a church member has an addiction they should work to overcome that addiction. It may be drugs, alcohol, caffeine, sex, food, exercise, or countless other possibilities that they are addicted to, but an addiction makes us slaves to our bodies instead of masters over our bodies. And I would argue that being addicted to pain pills or sleep medications is a violation of the Word of Wisdom.

Twice I have been prescribed narcotic pills to help with pain. I don't believe that I finished either prescription, only using the drugs as necessary to deal with pain then hiding them in the medicine cabinet. They are a useful tool to help the body in certain circumstances, and absent those circumstances I believe it is wrong to take them.

Regarding marijuana, I recall an investigator in Oregon being denied baptism until he stops using weed and I think that decision is every bit as correct as denying baptism to a coffee drinker or prescription drug addict.

forwardtozion
captain of 10

Post by forwardtozion »

the marijuana high opens portals for demonic spirits to walk through and easily possess your being.
this espeically applies to those who have received the Gift of the Holy Spirit.

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

forwardtozion wrote:the marijuana high opens portals for demonic spirits to walk through and easily possess your being.
this espeically applies to those who have received the Gift of the Holy Spirit.
Huh? Have some experience or are you guessing? Or ??

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

Oh man I have mixed feelings over this. As one who has lost most of my faith in western medicine due to many years of 1000's of dollars spent and incorrect diagnosis's for my health issues plus terrible side-effects from poorly prescribed meds, I have since turned to natural remedies. (I have felt more relief from natural remedies over modern) There are many days that I would try about anything to find relief from my chronic health issues, pain being one of them. Yes if you told me marijuana would help me I would try it. I believe in moderation in all things and there is a right and wrong way to go about it.

Having said that we had a legislative bill here in Utah that was brought up last year over marijuana use. In it's simple form I think the Church was even ok with it. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong) But another legislature didn't think the bill went far enough and that the usage therein would NOT be so effective in most treatment cases. So he introduced his own. The Church was against this one. (My own agreement was somewhere in-between the two) As it went the simpler one died on the floor and the 2nd was outright rejected.

I adamantly will follow what the Church says. Yes some may give me flack over this but I don't care.... "Whether by mine own voice or the voice of my servants it is the same". SO although I believe that the benefits of marijuana treatments show great prospect and could even benefit me personally I will abstain if the Church is against it.

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

They legalized cbd which is one Cannabidiol of the many cannabiidial found in marijuana. Thc is another. The plant is the most chemically complex plant known to man. They have the ability to refine the different cannabinoids from the plant. Each has been proven to do different things. I have nothing bad to say about the plant as long as it's used for medicine.
Cbd cured my sons autism caused by immunization shots. I thank god for providing that cure for him and leading me to it.

forwardtozion
captain of 10

Post by forwardtozion »

this i totally agree with and other medicinal uses.
however, i do not agree that smoking everyday until your eyes bleed is the same as indulging in mt dew.

Ezra wrote:They legalized cbd which is one Cannabidiol of the many cannabiidial found in marijuana. Thc is another. The plant is the most chemically complex plant known to man. They have the ability to refine the different cannabinoids from the plant. Each has been proven to do different things. I have nothing bad to say about the plant as long as it's used for medicine.
Cbd cured my sons autism caused by immunization shots. I thank god for providing that cure for him and leading me to it.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Todd wrote:Here are brain activity scans of a brain that has been exposed to smoking marijuana over a period of time, followed by a brain that has not. I don't care what your silly soda drink rationalizations are, two wrongs don't make it right. There is a big difference between using the CBD for medical relief than the psychedelic THC consumed while smoking a joint. The science is clear, weed destroys the brain. Don't do it.
Just on the pictures... Is there a clear causation connection here? Or just one brain of someone who does, and one brain of someone who doesn't. How and why were the brains chosen?

Todd
captain of 100

Post by Todd »

JohnnyL wrote:
Todd wrote:Here are brain activity scans of a brain that has been exposed to smoking marijuana over a period of time, followed by a brain that has not. I don't care what your silly soda drink rationalizations are, two wrongs don't make it right. There is a big difference between using the CBD for medical relief than the psychedelic THC consumed while smoking a joint. The science is clear, weed destroys the brain. Don't do it.
Just on the pictures... Is there a clear causation connection here? Or just one brain of someone who does, and one brain of someone who doesn't. How and why were the brains chosen?
Yes. The causation is clear. The first brain was exposed to marijuana over time. The other brain was not. Infer from it what you like, but smoking weed destroys your brain.

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

Todd wrote:
JohnnyL wrote:
Yes. The causation is clear. The first brain was exposed to marijuana over time. The other brain was not. Infer from it what you like, but smoking weed destroys your brain.
So I'm curious what you think of mothers breast milk naturally having cannabinoids in it? Does God want our baby's to be dumb? Or do you think he would rather have us use the fake milk substitute you can buy?

http://guardianlv.com/2015/06/marijuana ... n-smarter/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Todd
captain of 100

Post by Todd »

Ezra wrote:
Todd wrote:
JohnnyL wrote:
So I'm curious what you think of mothers breast milk naturally having cannabinoids in it? Does God want our baby's to be dumb? Or do you think he would rather have us use the fake milk substitute you can buy?
Are you trying to say that since breast milk contains Cbd, then it's ok to smoke weed? Is that your logic??

Well, word of caution before you light up and feed your kid:

"There is significant brain growth occurring during a baby’s first months of life; marijuana may alter brain cells. Animal studies (on babies whose mothers’ milk contained THC) have shown that DNA and RNA metabolism may also be affected and the proteins needed for proper growth and development impaired." --Liston J. Breastfeeding and the use of recreational drugs–alcohol, caffeine, nicotine and marijuana. Breastfeed Rev. 1998 Aug;6(2):27-30.

If you are smoking weed, Ezra, then yes, you are making your baby dumb by giving it breast milk.

Son of Liberty
captain of 100

Post by Son of Liberty »

Todd quick question before you gave your very biased view on this subject did you lack to do any objective research? I've concluded that the factual evidence swaying either way are lacking in the health risks or you claim of making your baby dumb by give it breast milk from a mother who as you so callously putting it lights up and feeds her baby. Although technically the baby could still receive heightened levels of CBD's if the mother took Edibles and didn't inhale. I say heightened levels because CBDs are already naturally found in a mothers milk so by your own appropriation of your biased facts breast feeding a baby at all and giving it the natural CBDs that are already in a mothers milk even if she was a virgin to Marijuana would in turn be making the baby dumb. You might want to re think and take an objective view of things before you open your mouth on a subject you obviously lacked to do any substantial research on and instead posted something that only fit your narrow views. A better conclusion to the facts would say neither can be substantiated and the facts are inconclusive.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

Read DC 59. Verses 1-15 lay out the basics of moral and upright behavior (commandments) Verses 16-24 are the blessings associated with abiding these commandments.

Put aside everything Nancy Reagan, public school, church leaders and your parents told you and evaluate marijuana within the context of v 16-24. Then, put on your big boy pants and take a personal decision about using it or not.

To me, what I see as risks of partaking outweigh benefits, but only because I have reasonably good health and could lose my house, my job and my (relative) freedom because of current governmental edicts about controlling a plant. We're I in a different situation, I'd probably at least try it and see if it gladdened my heart and enlivened my soul.

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

Todd wrote:
Ezra wrote:
Todd wrote:
JohnnyL wrote: Just on the pictures... Is there a clear causation connection here? Or just one brain of someone who does, and one brain of someone who doesn't. How and why were the brains chosen?
Are you trying to say that since breast milk contains Cbd, then it's ok to smoke weed? Is that your logic??

Well, word of caution before you light up and feed your kid:

"There is significant brain growth occurring during a baby’s first months of life; marijuana may alter brain cells. Animal studies (on babies whose mothers’ milk contained THC) have shown that DNA and RNA metabolism may also be affected and the proteins needed for proper growth and development impaired." --Liston J. Breastfeeding and the use of recreational drugs–alcohol, caffeine, nicotine and marijuana. Breastfeed Rev. 1998 Aug;6(2):27-30.

If you are smoking weed, Ezra, then yes, you are making your baby dumb by giving it breast milk.

No todd. All woman produce cannabinoids in their breast milk. All women. Not some. All. It's the way god created us.

http://www.naturalnews.com/036526_canna ... k_THC.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So i asking you what you think gods purpose is in that? Why god made a plant that also makes the same things. Why do we have cannabinoids receptors?

For me the answer is that the plant is designed by god to be for us as a benefit if used correctly. And in no way to I suggest or condone smokeing or recreational use. So you can feel free to cut out the accusations on your reply. It's a simple question.

Todd
captain of 100

Post by Todd »

I'm sorry Ezra. I apologize for the accusations.

I could be wrong, but it's my opinion that God created certain herbs and such for specific purposes. Take tobacco, for example. Not good to ingest, but is useful for other things.

I agree with you, the Cbd found in breast milkis useful. Great! But The THC found in marijuana is harmful to the brain.

I suppose ingesting marijuana that has little to no THC used under the direction of a doctor could have benefits.

Btw, I'm glad you are opposed to smoking weed to get high. I'm sorry for accusing you of that.

Hope you have a great day.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Todd wrote:
JohnnyL wrote:
That is so far from scientific... You get a bunch of people, check usage, check symptoms, take out the other factors, then do scans of all of them--THEN see what the scans show.

The history of marijuana and govt. interference shows lots of lies. This just goes along with it, if you claim it's what it is.

Todd
captain of 100

Post by Todd »

JohnnyL wrote:
Todd wrote:
JohnnyL wrote:
That is so far from scientific... You get a bunch of people, check usage, check symptoms, take out the other factors, then do scans of all of them--THEN see what the scans show.

The history of marijuana and govt. interference shows lots of lies. This just goes along with it, if you claim it's what it is.
Ok Johnny. Glad we got that cleared up.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

Matchmaker wrote:I think it is a way less harmful drug than the opiates, which are prescribed all the time for pain and are tragically addictive.
The other side of the coin is that opioids can be a very real blessing for those in chronic pain. If you take them for the 'feel good' and have an addictive personality, you might be heading for trouble.

But there are people with chronic pain, who reach a point where they can barely function, and who greatly benefit from the use of opioids. Used in moderation and for pain relief, they can be a wonderful blessing. A person in my family is in this condition and I see the results and benefits first hand, of proper use of opioids . . . or the difficulties of having no access. I think it is a shame that government steps in and makes it almost impossible to get them.

God produced the poppy. Why was that?

I only discovered the wonder of this substance late in life, after I'd had a wisdom tooth pulled with an exaggerated hooked root. When the local anesthetic wore off, I was in agony. Being one that hardly took an aspirin in my whole life, I was reluctant to take the pain medication the dentist gave me, but finally gave in the pain was so awful.

Within in minutes, I fell into a nice, warm semi-sleep. That experience was enlightening for me. I think the drug was oxycontin. I took only one pill and the bottle was in our fridge for years, otherwise untouched.

Vision
captain of 1,000

Post by Vision »

Son of Liberty wrote:I would like to get the forums LDS perspective on Marijuana. Personally I don't think that it's anymore against the word of wisdom then drinking soda or being addicted to sugar or being addicted to pain pills or sleep aids. I'm of the opinion LDS folks daily from all walks of life many who are active temple recommend holders and have callings in the church are addicted to many different unhealthy substances to help them cope through out the day. So with out much further ado lets see who wants to call the Kettle Black please....

Where in the WOW does it say one word about addiction, soda, sugar, etc? Where do you people come up with this stuff.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

Vision wrote:Where in the WOW does it say one word about addiction, soda, sugar, etc? Where do you people come up with this stuff.
The same place we come up with things like believing the WoW is a commandment as opposed to the invitation it describes itself as: modern prophets. If you discount anything since Joseph Smith then you would have to accept that alcohol, tobacco, and everything else is okay to use.

I recall seeing a TV show where a camera crew was invited in to the Apostolic United Brethren, a group that was trying to distance themselves from the FLDS. I was surprised to see these "Mormon fundamentalists" drinking red wine with dinner, and the host explained that this group left the "mainstream Mormon church" before abstention from alcohol became a commandment. So if you discount any revelation since Joseph Smith you won't be alone, but you will probably be alone among active Latter-day Saints.

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

Vision wrote:
Son of Liberty wrote:I would like to get the forums LDS perspective on Marijuana. Personally I don't think that it's anymore against the word of wisdom then drinking soda or being addicted to sugar or being addicted to pain pills or sleep aids. I'm of the opinion LDS folks daily from all walks of life many who are active temple recommend holders and have callings in the church are addicted to many different unhealthy substances to help them cope through out the day. So with out much further ado lets see who wants to call the Kettle Black please....

Where in the WOW does it say one word about addiction, soda, sugar, etc? Where do you people come up with this stuff.
Near the same place it says that you can drink beer and wine.