If you had to guess...

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
FearlessFixxer
captain of 50

If you had to guess...

Post by FearlessFixxer »

...how much do you think the 'modest stipend' is that the Q15 receive?

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: If you had to guess...

Post by Fiannan »

FearlessFixxer wrote:...how much do you think the 'modest stipend' is that the Q15 receive?
100 trillion dollars.

Next question?

dafty
captain of 100

Post by dafty »

FearlessFixxer wrote:...how much do you think the 'modest stipend' is that the Q15 receive?
C.Ronaldo is on 365,000£ a week plus advertisement money etc , so more like half a million a week...so, considering greater responsibilities and less glamorous life, I would guess Q15 are on at least double that, innit?!

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Another question: Is Rey Luke Skywalker's kid or Han Solo's kid?

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

Fiannan wrote:Another question: Is Rey Luke Skywalker's kid or Han Solo's kid?
Luke's you silly :-?

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

Maybe $250K base plus allowances for food, anything dental/medical, transportation cost and repairs, traveling costs, housing cost plus maintenance cost and taxes, clothing, internet, cell phone, and others I would guess.

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

Someone related to the movie (writer/ director? I can't remember which) said we haven't met Rey's parents yet.

paulrobots
captain of 100

Post by paulrobots »

Don't know, won't guess. I would say some get more than others because they are not rich to begin with, or still have young kids at home who still need/want/deserve to go to college. Some are so rich they probably don't take anything.

Sorry, was replying to GAs in general, not 1st Pres. and Q12.

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

paulrobots wrote:Don't know, won't guess. I would say some get more than others because they are not rich to begin with, or still have young kids at home who still need/want/deserve to go to college. Some are so rich they probably don't take anything.

What's this deserve junk about?

Anyone ever hear about paying your own way? Are you a millennial?

If so. Way too cliche. If not shame on you.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

SmallFarm wrote:
Someone related to the movie (writer/ director? I can't remember which) said we haven't met Rey's parents yet.
A Jedi other than the ones in the series so far then?

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

FF - don't let the haters get you down. I do not know for sure. Joel is probably close. I have heard there's a million dollar "loan" for the 12A that is never required to be repaid IF you stay in good standing, on top of the stipend.

Add in book deals at Deseret Book, free travel, free auto, no tithing required to be paid etc and it gets to be a pretty attractive compensation package.

A far cry from the BoM model, as discussed in Mosish and Alma.

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

Fiannan wrote:
SmallFarm wrote:
A Jedi other than the ones in the series so far then?
It was said before Rogue One came out so her parents might be in that movie (I haven't been able to see it yet).

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

Obrien wrote:FF - don't let the haters get you down. I do not know for sure. Joel is probably close. I have heard there's a million dollar "loan" for the 12A that is never required to be repaid IF you stay in good standing, on top of the stipend.

Add in book deals at Deseret Book, free travel, free auto, no tithing required to be paid etc and it gets to be a pretty attractive compensation package.

A far cry from the BoM model, as discussed in Mosish and Alma.
Mosiah and Alma didn't live under the Beast system of monetary rule and taxation. They opperated under a totally different system altogether. Something to consider before making yourself their judge ;)

dafty
captain of 100

Post by dafty »

kittycat51 wrote:
Luke's you silly :-?
lol =))

paulrobots
captain of 100

Post by paulrobots »

Ezra wrote:
paulrobots wrote:Don't know, won't guess. I would say some get more than others because they are not rich to begin with, or still have young kids at home who still need/want/deserve to go to college. Some are so rich they probably don't take anything.

"Sorry kids, I got called to be a seventy, I guess there won't be any college now."

Some kids, through hard work and determination, deserve to go to college. If their parents had income that was going to pay for that college, then are called to be a ga and no longer have an income, I think the stipend should be large enough that their children can still go.

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

I wonder if GA's kids get a similar deal that Mission President's kids got according to the 2006 Mission President's Handbook?
Undergraduate tuition at an accredited college or university that offers two- or four-year degrees. Tuition is waived at Church-owned schools. Tuition at other schools is reimbursed after the classes have been successfully completed. The tuition reimbursement will not exceed the equivalent of current tuition at Brigham Young University, regardless of the actual tuition cost. Students must meet the same standards for enrollment as others; the Missionary Department does not facilitate acceptance into Church-owned schools.

Source: pg 80 Mission President's Handbook

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

paulrobots wrote:
Ezra wrote:

"Sorry kids, I got called to be a seventy, I guess there won't be any college now."

Some kids, through hard work and determination, deserve to go to college. If their parents had income that was going to pay for that college, then are called to be a ga and no longer have an income, I think the stipend should be large enough that their children can still go.
H Verlan Andersen The Book of Mormon and the Constitution p.190
After comparing Satan’s cunning plan of free education today with the plan of enforced priestcraft described so often in the Book of Mormon, can it be doubted but that the Lord has placed those many stories in there to warn us against a danger we have succumbed to? Both plans provide for government control of education. Both plans force taxpayers to pay the cost of implementing them. Both prohibit the teaching of the gospel.

They deserve that right??? Forced priestcraft? And they deserve that the church pay for that forced priestcraft? It's not the churches responsibility to educate someone's kids. It's the parents and the kids responsiblity to educate themselves in what God would have us educate ourselfs in.

Ezra Taft Benson CR 11/86 p.46-47
Every priesthood holder should make learning a lifetime pursuit. While any study of truth is of value, the truths of salvation are the most important truths any person can learn. The Lord’s question “For what is a man profited, if he gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?” (Matt. 16:26) can be applied to educational pursuits as well as the pursuits of worldly goods. The Lord might also have asked, “For what is a man profited if he shall learn everything in the world and not learn how to be saved?” (Now President Benson quotes President Kimball) Youth, beloved youth, can you see why we must let spiritual training take first place? …secular (learning) without the foundation of the spiritual (learning) is but like the foam upon the milk, the fleeting shadow? The study of the scriptures ahead of the study of man written texts; ordinances of the temple are more important than the PHD or any other academic degrees?

Amen.

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

Excerpts from a talk given by Michael Otterson managing director of the Public Affairs Department of the Church, at FairMormon Conference August 7, 2015.

http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/f ... conference" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"It isn’t easy to avoid sounding defensive when things we love are belittled. This applies also to critiques of the Brethren themselves. Personally, I view habitual criticism of the Brethren as one of the most pernicious of pastimes, so let me spend a moment on this. I will use the term “Brethren” here because this is an LDS audience and you all know what that term usually means — the general authorities of the Church, and in particular the First Presidency and the Twelve Apostles. I try to avoid that term when talking to secular media because it sounds strange, even antiquated, to non-LDS ears, and I generally opt instead for the term “Church leadership.”

If memory serves, I think the first time I encountered an accusing finger pointed at the Brethren was from an English journalist who I’d invited to meet with a visiting apostle while I was managing the Church’s London public affairs office. He asked how we could justify leaders of the Church flying trans-Atlantic jets when Jesus used a donkey. My response to him was that as soon as they invent a trans-Atlantic donkey we would be happy to use it. That may not have been original — I can no longer remember whether I borrowed it from something I’d heard — but it did seem to address the absurdity of the question. I can hardly believe it when I hear people question the motives of the Brethren for the work they do, or when they imply there is somehow some monetary reward or motive.

Let me share the reality. Not all the Brethren have been businessmen, but most have had extraordinarily successful careers by the time they are called to be an apostle. As President Spencer W. Kimball once pointed out, the ability to lead people and an organization is a more-than-helpful attribute in a Church of millions of people, especially when combined with spiritual depth and a rich understanding of the gospel. Because several have been highly successful in business careers, when they become apostles their stipend and allowances may literally be less than a tithe on what they previously earned.

Some of the Brethren have been educators. Elder Scott was a nuclear physicist, Elder Nelson a heart surgeon. Several were highly successful lawyers. Right now we have three former university presidents in the Twelve. President Boyd K. Packer was also an educator by profession, although in his spare time and in his earlier days he loved to carve beautiful things out of wood. That sounds curiously related to another scripturally honored profession — that of a carpenter.

Can you imagine what it would be like to be called to the Twelve? In most cases you have already had a successful career. You know you will continue to serve the Church in some volunteer capacity, but you have begun to think of your future retirement. The First Presidency and the Twelve, of course, do not retire. Neither are they released. With their call comes the sure knowledge that they will work every day for the rest of their lives, even if they live into their 90s, until they literally drop and their minds and bodies give out. Their workday begins early and does not end at 5:00 p.m. The Twelve get Mondays off, and those Mondays are frequently spent preparing for the rest of the week. If they have a weekend assignment, they will often travel on a Friday afternoon. Periodically, even though in their 80s, they face the grueling schedule of international speaking conferences and leadership responsibilities.

What about when they are home? I have the cell phone numbers of most of the Brethren because I sometimes have to call them in the evening, on weekends or when they are out and about. I’m not naïve enough to think that I am the only Church officer to do so. So even their downtime is peppered with interruptions. I invariably begin those calls by apologizing for interrupting them at home. I have never once been rebuked for calling. They are invariably kind and reassuring, even early in the morning or late at night.

Their primary time off each year is from the end of the mission presidents’ seminar at the very end of June through the end of July. And while this time is meant as a break, most of the Brethren use this time to turn their thoughts, among other things, to October general conference and preparation of their remarks. During Christmas break they do the same for April conference. Every one of them takes extraordinary care and time in deciding on a topic and crafting their messages. The process weighs on them for months as they refine draft after draft.

This is not a schedule you would wish on anyone. Yet they bear it with grace and find joy for some overwhelmingly important reasons — their testimony and commitment to be a witness of the Savior of the world and their desire to strengthen His children everywhere. They would be the very first to acknowledge their own faults or failings, just as we can readily point to the apostles of the New Testament and see imperfect people.

As I read the Gospels and the book of Acts, or the various letters written by the apostles to the various groups of members scattered throughout the Mediterranean area, I get a glimpse of extraordinary men — men with individual faults, certainly. Yet I choose not to view Peter through a critical lens that dwells on the impetuous elements of his nature or as the wavering soul who failed to affirm he knew the Christ. I see him more in the winter of his life, having weathered trials and storms to become one of the towering figures of biblical history, whose name and accomplishments have endured for two millennia. The same can be said for many others of the ancient apostles, perhaps especially Paul, whose life transformed him from persecutor to persecuted. And so today, because my testimony tells me that the gospel has been restored, I see the senior Brethren in the same way. Yes, they are individual, mortal men, but the Lord has given them, not me, the mantle to lead the Church and make the tough decisions. I am not lionizing the Brethren. I am not over-awed because I have shaken the hand of an apostle. But I do sustain them with all my heart, and I have a quiet and reassuring confidence born of personal experience and exposure to their councils that the Church is in good hands."

Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Col. Flagg »

I know exactly how much they receive based on their office - if I were to divulge what they get, there would be a mutiny here in the forum. :-o

Have a close friend who is quite cozy with the GA's and he was told what they receive financially when you become a GA - it is jaw-dropping. If you want further 'light and knowledge' about this subject, just listen to Daymon Smith's 2 hour interview with John Dehlin on Mormon Stories - however, it is just the tip of the iceberg.

thisisspartaaa
captain of 100

Post by thisisspartaaa »

What a ridiculous thread that is full of slander and gossip. Perhaps you folks should read up what scripture has to say about gossip, rumor and slander.

Please provide evidence to back up your guessing game.

And while you're at it, please lecture the Lord, in this public discussion forum about how He should spend His money then? I mean, you're all so great at the rumor and gossip. How should things be done?

FTC
captain of 100

Post by FTC »

You mean this?

http://kutv.com/news/local/mormonleaks- ... uthorities

$7,000 a month was pretty good back in 2000.

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

thisisspartaaa wrote: Please provide evidence to back up your guessing game.
I'm pretty sure that was the intent of the original poster. He is the guy behind the MormonLeaks (see the link FTC posted). He just came here to promote his site. If you think that this kind of discussion is not wanted here, just ignore him and talk about something else, e.g. Star Wars.

Sunain
captain of 1,000

Post by Sunain »

A fair and honest amount for their time. Many of the 12 and 70s could make a lot more in their previous occupations. Perhaps these 'leakers' should instead calculate how much they could have made if they didn't become general authorities. A lot of them gave up a lot of potential money to serve the Lord instead.
Kylo is Han's son so my bet is Rey is someone we wouldn't have thought of or some yet to be introduced characters. Some of the events in EP7 seem to indicate that Luke isn't related to her.

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

For all I know, the brethren translate to the airport to make it appear they are getting off a flight. If they had the ability to do this, do you think they would tell us? I remember L Tom Perry gave a talk on the priesthood and mentioned that we do not yet have the keys of creation. Maybe some of them do, maybe some of them are able to create money or food or anything else they need. If they did, they certainly would not tell us. They will continue to tell us to keep the sabbath day holy and read the scripture and go to the temple and hope that some day we actually start believing what we read.

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

Juliet wrote:For all I know, the brethren translate to the airport to make it appear they are getting off a flight. If they had the ability to do this, do you think they would tell us? I remember L Tom Perry gave a talk on the priesthood and mentioned that we do not yet have the keys of creation. Maybe some of them do, maybe some of them are able to create money or food or anything else they need. If they did, they certainly would not tell us. They will continue to tell us to keep the sabbath day holy and read the scripture and go to the temple and hope that some day we actually start believing what we read.
Why wouldn't they testify of the gospel? Why do you think they would hide their light?