If you had to guess...

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: If you had to guess...

Post by Robin Hood »

Member of Q12, around $100,000.

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

Ezra wrote:
Juliet wrote:For all I know, the brethren translate to the airport to make it appear they are getting off a flight. If they had the ability to do this, do you think they would tell us? I remember L Tom Perry gave a talk on the priesthood and mentioned that we do not yet have the keys of creation. Maybe some of them do, maybe some of them are able to create money or food or anything else they need. If they did, they certainly would not tell us. They will continue to tell us to keep the sabbath day holy and read the scripture and go to the temple and hope that some day we actually start believing what we read.
Why wouldn't they testify of the gospel? Why do you think they would hide their light?
The same reason Joseph Smith bemoaned his life, the envy of man.

Vision
captain of 1,000

Post by Vision »

Col. Flagg wrote:I know exactly how much they receive based on their office - if I were to divulge what they get, there would be a mutiny here in the forum. :-o

Have a close friend who is quite cozy with the GA's and he was told what they receive financially when you become a GA - it is jaw-dropping. If you want further 'light and knowledge' about this subject, just listen to Daymon Smith's 2 hour interview with John Dehlin on Mormon Stories - however, it is just the tip of the iceberg.

Col I have a friend whose Father is a close friend of Bednar's. Bednar was at the family's home and my friend asked him about this topic and Bednar was very forth coming and told him exactly what he received. It is mind blowing.

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

Juliet wrote:
Ezra wrote:
Juliet wrote:For all I know, the brethren translate to the airport to make it appear they are getting off a flight. If they had the ability to do this, do you think they would tell us? I remember L Tom Perry gave a talk on the priesthood and mentioned that we do not yet have the keys of creation. Maybe some of them do, maybe some of them are able to create money or food or anything else they need. If they did, they certainly would not tell us. They will continue to tell us to keep the sabbath day holy and read the scripture and go to the temple and hope that some day we actually start believing what we read.
Why wouldn't they testify of the gospel? Why do you think they would hide their light?
You could probably translate right in front of people and they won't believe it. Unbelief and envy make it hard to show miracles, but signs do follow those who believe. .

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

Vision wrote:
Col. Flagg wrote:I know exactly how much they receive based on their office - if I were to divulge what they get, there would be a mutiny here in the forum. :-o

Have a close friend who is quite cozy with the GA's and he was told what they receive financially when you become a GA - it is jaw-dropping. If you want further 'light and knowledge' about this subject, just listen to Daymon Smith's 2 hour interview with John Dehlin on Mormon Stories - however, it is just the tip of the iceberg.

Col I have a friend whose Father is a close friend of Bednar's. Bednar was at the family's home and my friend asked him about this topic and Bednar was very forth coming and told him exactly what he received. It is mind blowing.
Maybe that is why the church owns a mall, so the brethren can make money but not off the tithing of the people.

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

Juliet wrote:
Juliet wrote:
Ezra wrote:
You could probably translate right in front of people and they won't believe it. Unbelief and envy make it hard to show miracles, but signs do follow those who believe. .
But not testify and all can deny it.

I'm my youth a had a brother testify and demonstrate the ability to receive inspiration.(he told us the license plate numbers of cars driving by with his face buried in a corner looking opposite of the road) My mind at the time didn't understand or believe it. But yet I saw it happen. That testimony it stuck with me. And as the years have gone by and I have found other testimonys my beliefs changed to where I'm now the one who has the ability to receive inspiration. And who testify of that gospel.
It makes no sense to remain silent. Some won't believe. That's fine. Others will and it will change their lifes. The more that it changes the more people they will in turn change the life's of others if they don't hide their light.

D&c 115: 5 Verily I say unto you all: Arise and shine forth, that thy light may be a standard for the nations;

6 And that the gathering together upon the land of Zion, and upon her stakes, may be for a defense, and for a refuge from the storm, and from wrath when it shall be poured out without mixture upon the whole earth.

Why would they hide their light??????

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

Ezra wrote:
Juliet wrote:
Juliet wrote:
Ezra wrote:

I'm my youth a had a brother testify and demonstrate the ability to receive inspiration.(he told us the license plate numbers of cars driving by with his face buried in a corner looking opposite of the road) My mind at the time didn't understand or believe it. But yet I saw it happen. That testimony it stuck with me. And as the years have gone by and I have found other testimonys my beliefs changed to where I'm now the one who has the ability to receive inspiration. And who testify of that gospel.
It makes no sense to remain silent. Some won't believe. That's fine. Others will and it will change their lifes. The more that it changes the more people they will in turn change the life's of others if they don't hide their light.

D&c 115: 5 Verily I say unto you all: Arise and shine forth, that thy light may be a standard for the nations;

6 And that the gathering together upon the land of Zion, and upon her stakes, may be for a defense, and for a refuge from the storm, and from wrath when it shall be poured out without mixture upon the whole earth.

Sharing your light has to be done right. And I think they do but not in public. I was told President Monson showed up at a hospital my friend works at and He told a man he had angels with him and he needed to go help comfort his wife at home. A good talk President Monson gave in Priesthood a couple of conferences back was how as a young boy he was asked if he uses his gift of administering angels, and how as a boy he didn't really believe the Aaronic Priesthood was literally about communicating with angles. I think he told that talk to help members get serious about receiving the gift of the ministering of angels, at the least. So they try to help us, but we have to be ready or we will not hear it.

One other thing, if they were blatantly obvious about their gifts, people would depend on them instead of listening and depending on their own ability to listen to the Holy Spirit.

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

It's 10k/month. I believe there is another pool of law of consecration money that is not paid out as a stipend, but that some or all have access to.

Durzan
The Lord's Trusty Maverick

Post by Durzan »

Well, According to a recent wikileak, all GA's recieve a base annual stipend of ~$120k. Dunno how credible this actually is, but it does give some insight.

Unfortunately, too many will use this as a way to bash the church, instead of having faith that the Lord is watching over us all. In fact, I only found this out due to my cousin posting a response in defense of the Bretheren when one of his friends reposted the link from a less than friendly source.

Original link to the Wikileak: https://www.docdroid.net/JlekSUK/first- ... -.pdf.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sandman45
captain of 1,000

Post by sandman45 »

FearlessFixxer wrote:...how much do you think the 'modest stipend' is that the Q15 receive?
Doesn't matter ..... I will gladly give my full heart might mind and strength to the LORD for that amount! :D

sandman45
captain of 1,000

Post by sandman45 »

Joel wrote:I wonder if GA's kids get a similar deal that Mission President's kids got according to the 2006 Mission President's Handbook?
Undergraduate tuition at an accredited college or university that offers two- or four-year degrees. Tuition is waived at Church-owned schools. Tuition at other schools is reimbursed after the classes have been successfully completed. The tuition reimbursement will not exceed the equivalent of current tuition at Brigham Young University, regardless of the actual tuition cost. Students must meet the same standards for enrollment as others; the Missionary Department does not facilitate acceptance into Church-owned schools.

Source: pg 80 Mission President's Handbook
I read somewhere all GA kids get full tuition for church schools...

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

Ezra wrote:
Juliet wrote:
Juliet wrote:
Ezra wrote:

So where are the three Nephites then? Why aren't they showing forth their god-given abilities they have? Are they hiding their light under a bushel?

zionbuilder
captain of 100

Post by zionbuilder »

SmallFarm I like you.

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

paulrobots wrote:
Ezra wrote:
paulrobots wrote:Don't know, won't guess. I would say some get more than others because they are not rich to begin with, or still have young kids at home who still need/want/deserve to go to college. Some are so rich they probably don't take anything.

Sorry, was replying to GAs in general, not 1st Pres. and Q12.
What's this deserve junk about?

Anyone ever hear about paying your own way? Are you a millennial?

If so. Way too cliche. If not shame on you.
"Sorry kids, I got called to be a seventy, I guess there won't be any college now."

Some kids, through hard work and determination, deserve to go to college. If their parents had income that was going to pay for that college, then are called to be a ga and no longer have an income, I think the stipend should be large enough that their children can still go.
Sometimes it might be, "Good news kids, because I got called as a GA, we can now afford to send you to college."

-Finrock

FTC
captain of 100

Post by FTC »

Sufficient for their needs?
watch.jpg
watch.jpg (85.63 KiB) Viewed 980 times

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

SmallFarm wrote:
Ezra wrote:
Juliet wrote:
Juliet wrote:

So where are the three Nephites then? Why aren't they showing forth their god-given abilities they have? Are they hiding their light under a bushel?
That's a great question. What would you call it?

Personally I would guess they are using and showing those God given abilities. It just doesn't make the news.

thisisspartaaa
captain of 100

Post by thisisspartaaa »

Why is this such a big deal? You all sound like liberals complaining about success...

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

FTC wrote:Sufficient for their needs?

watch.jpg
I can get a nice imitation for 1/100 of that price...
Last edited by JohnnyL on January 13th, 2017, 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Durzan wrote:Well, According to a recent wikileak, all GA's recieve a base annual stipend of ~$120k. Dunno how credible this actually is, but it does give some insight.

Unfortunately, too many will use this as a way to bash the church, instead of having faith that the Lord is watching over us all. In fact, I only found this out due to my cousin posting a response in defense of the Bretheren when one of his friends reposted the link from a less than friendly source.

Original link to the Wikileak: https://www.docdroid.net/JlekSUK/first- ... -.pdf.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That is... almost nothing.

Remember that in Alma'stime, charity would not allow a church member to see a church leader suffer for lack. If you were to set up a continual "gofundme" type of fund for the brethren, my guess it would WAAAAAAAAY exceed what they currently receive, esp. if it is $120,000.

So, who here would give up being a law firm partner for $120,000, and then have to jump back to work 5 years later, or when you hit the age of 70? Or lots of other jobs. When a Walmart checker becomes a GA, I guess that might stir the pot a little more, eh?

Vision
captain of 1,000

Post by Vision »

Juliet wrote:
Vision wrote:

Maybe that is why the church owns a mall, so the brethren can make money but not off the tithing of the people.
Did Christ engage in any business ventures other than saving souls?

DesertWonderer
captain of 1,000

Post by DesertWonderer »

Vision wrote:
Juliet wrote:
Vision wrote:

Did Christ engage in any business ventures other than saving souls?
Carpentry and fishing.

Onsdag
captain of 100

Post by Onsdag »

JohnnyL wrote:

watch.jpg
I can get a nice imitation for 1/100 of that price...
I've been given nice things as gifts. Things I've been really hesitant to wear because it might portray an image about me that isn't accurate. And yet I still wear them because friends have given them to me as a gift and I value their friendship more than my pride and I want to show my appreciation for them and their gifts.

That's the problem with looking on the outward appearances - you may see something that is factually correct, but you probably won't see the real truth of a matter. Same goes with that picture, it shows something factually correct - Elder Uchtdorf appears to be wearing a really nice and expensive watch - but it doesn't tell us the whole story: perhaps it's as you mentioned, a cheap imitation of an expensive watch; perhaps it's something more like my example - it is the real deal, but was given to him as a gift by someone dear to him; perhaps it was given to him as a gift or promotion from his employer while he was working as an airline pilot, long before he ever became an Apostle; perhaps it's any one of a hundred other explanations. We simply don't know. But, as we are all well aware, this won't stop those who are looking for fault from finding it. Good thing the Lord doesn't see things the same way as us weak and pathetic mortals.

"But the Lord said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the Lord seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart." (1 Samuel 16:7)

Older/wiser?
captain of 100

Post by Older/wiser? »

The problem is really not what they have or don't have, most gave up careers that paid well over $120,000. They work till they drop, they don't retire to a fishing boat enjoying there own routine. If they weren't given a livelihood there would be those finding fault, that they used welfare or didn't represent the Church in an appropriate manner. Why does any one care, or find fault with there stipend. Why look to make it an issue, it's not my or any individuals choice to decide what you think is aduaquate, most people resent someone they feel is getting more than they think they should. We judge one another and in the pride of our hearts find the fault we would be wise to ignore. I love to read of the last supper Matthew 26:20 Now when the even was come, he sat down with the twelve. 21 And as they did eat , he said , Verily I say unto you , that one of you shall betray me. 22 And they were exceeding sorrowful, and began every one of them to say unto him, Lord , is it I? V23 And he answered and said, He that dipped his hand with me in the dish, the same shall betray me. Have you never stopped to wonder how easily it would have been to sit back and watch, wait and observe Judas dip his sop with the Lord, then accuse. Yet when internal perspective upon ourselves and ones own personal sins is applied we fail to see the sins of others. These our the Lords anointed, His disciples, what they are paid , I am grateful they are there at any price. IMHO

DesertWonderer
captain of 1,000

Post by DesertWonderer »

watch.jpg
That watch is nice but no big deal. sheesh.

Clearly you need to go back and read the 10th article of faith one more time.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Fiannan wrote: January 7th, 2017, 2:27 pm Another question: Is Rey Luke Skywalker's kid or Han Solo's kid?
kittycat51 wrote: January 7th, 2017, 2:48 pm Luke's you silly :-?
Edit: Turns out she's the granddaughter of Palpatine/the evil monster. Who would have guessed?
Last edited by Silver Pie on December 31st, 2022, 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.