The Earth is Not a Globe!?! Is God literal, water above and below the firmament?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.

What do the scriptures teach us about the earth?

The Earth is a globe.
67%
The Earth is Flat like a terrarium (a dome).
14%
The Earth is a globe and hollow.
15%
The Earth is Flat and hollow.
3%

Total votes: 98
Kitkat
captain of 100

Re: The Earth is Not a Globe!?! Is God literal, water above and below the firmament?

Post by Kitkat »

AI2.0 wrote:Hey Cayenne and Kitkat, consider me the little boy who yells "The Emperor has no clothes on!!!" Someone needs to say it; this theory is hairbrained and ridiculous. Sorry Smallfarm, but sometimes the kind thing to do for someone is to tell them the truth and sometimes, when someone is so far 'out there', there isn't a 'nice' way to do it.

It's not always the kind thing to allow people to continue in wrong thinking. If a child tells you that 2 + 2 is 5, don't you think it is better to be honest and let them know they are incorrect than allow them to believe something that is false and then later suffer the consequences of false thinking which will eventually come?

Well. You definitely have behaved like a little boy :D and no worries, we are all entitled to express ourselves. And for the record I can appreciate people who are willing to call it as they see it rather than patronize and flatter out of fear of offending.

Also, I think you should note we are not definitively saying the earth is flat. My argument is that the theory is interesting and our globalist friends at nasa have glaring inconsistencies in most of their widely unchallenged theories.

I thought would be one of the less contentious threads I have participated in...I didn't even mention following the prophet or polygamy.

Also 2 + 2 can equal 5! If I had 4 bags and each bag had 1 candy, except the last bag, it has 2 candies in it than... bam! 2 bags + 2 bags = 5 candies! So we can both be right.

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: The Earth is Not a Globe!?! Is God literal, water above and below the firmament?

Post by Joel »

This thread reminded me of Carl Sagan's 4th dimension argument some

Kitkat
captain of 100

Post by Kitkat »

cayenne wrote:interesting stuff on "nuking the dome"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTZu2rMNW3E" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Operation Fish Bowl, Operation Dominic. Interesting stuff that lends to a Flat Earth as well.

Kitkat
captain of 100

Post by Kitkat »

Spaced_Out wrote:
cayenne wrote: check out the raw high altitude balloon videos on youtube, and then some of NASA's manipulations with a fish eye lens
What is the big issue with NASA, Astronauts from 37 countries 545 people have gone into outer space. Again there are hundreds of scanning satellites that orbit the earth from a number of countries. Most of the data from a few years back is available online for free. There are also private satellites including some French ones where you can purchase the raw data. I have worked with some of the data. There are thousands of military personal that work with the data, not one for very obvious reason believe in a flat earth. A lot of the USA data is downloaded in Australia as depending on the position of the satellites or the manned moon expeditions they are not visible from the N.Hemisphere. NASA paid money to build the infrastructure in Australia if the earth was flat would not be necessary. It is beyond ridiculous to believe in a flat earth, go to any land surveyor anywhere in the world and ask them how the do corrections for big project distances. All these people are in on the conspiracy.

http://gisgeography.com/free-satellite- ... data-list/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_s ... ationality As of October 2016, people from 37 countries have traveled in space. 545 people have reached Earth orbit. 548 have reached the altitude of space according to the FAI definition of the boundary of space, and 554 people have reached the altitude of space according to the American definition. Only 24 people have traveled beyond low Earth orbit.
All their exploits have been recorded live. South Africa had a billionaire that paid the Russians for a visit to space he took many photos and sent them back, space travel is on the verge of private travel - realy NASA has this big dark secret and all their photos of the earth are fake if I did not know better I would say you guys are smoking to much happy stuff now that it is legal in many states in the US.

Climate change is still a theory the earth being round sphere and precisely measured is not a theory but reality.
Yeah there are also millions of parents out there that have pretty much the majority of children thinking Santa is real. I don't do the Santa thing with my kids but I still perpetuate the lie to other people's kids out of respect for their choices... So until space travel is private travel - no first hand knowledge exists by us little guys.

It's all in the hands of the global parents. And guess who has a really hard believing anything the government tells me...yep...me

Just look at their track record and tell me why anyone should trust them.
Last edited by Kitkat on January 8th, 2017, 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kitkat
captain of 100

Post by Kitkat »

SmallFarm wrote:If you believe in Flat Earth then you cannot believe in conventional science on gravity:
Some flat earthers indeed may not believe conventional science in regards to gravity and so those arguments may be useless.
Have you studied the Plasma Earth Theory, where gravity is the wrong theory after all?

See this thread:
viewtopic.php?t=21475" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ungläubige
captain of 50

Post by Ungläubige »

Robin Hood wrote:
Spaced_Out wrote:
cayenne wrote: check out the raw high altitude balloon videos on youtube, and then some of NASA's manipulations with a fish eye lens
What is the big issue with NASA, Astronauts from 37 countries 545 people have gone into outer space. Again there are hundreds of scanning satellites that orbit the earth from a number of countries. Most of the data from a few years back is available online for free. There are also private satellites including some French ones where you can purchase the raw data. I have worked with some of the data. There are thousands of military personal that work with the data, not one for very obvious reason believe in a flat earth. A lot of the USA data is downloaded in Australia as depending on the position of the satellites or the manned moon expeditions they are not visible from the N.Hemisphere. NASA paid money to build the infrastructure in Australia if the earth was flat would not be necessary. It is beyond ridiculous to believe in a flat earth, go to any land surveyor anywhere in the world and ask them how the do corrections for big project distances. All these people are in on the conspiracy.

http://gisgeography.com/free-satellite- ... data-list/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_s ... ationality As of October 2016, people from 37 countries have traveled in space. 545 people have reached Earth orbit. 548 have reached the altitude of space according to the FAI definition of the boundary of space, and 554 people have reached the altitude of space according to the American definition. Only 24 people have traveled beyond low Earth orbit.
All their exploits have been recorded live. South Africa had a billionaire that paid the Russians for a visit to space he took many photos and sent them back, space travel is on the verge of private travel - realy NASA has this big dark secret and all their photos of the earth are fake if I did not know better I would say you guys are smoking to much happy stuff now that it is legal in many states in the US.

Climate change is still a theory the earth being round sphere and precisely measured is not a theory but reality.
There can, of course, be satellites circling (rather than orbiting) a flat earth.
This is what I mean about people speaking past each other.
Please elaborate on how you would make a satellite circle a flat earth. I.e. Could you explain the physics to accomplish that

P.s. You have commented a few times about binoculars and ships and curvature, etc. have you looked into the phenomenon of the sun "rising" or "setting" over the water? This pretty clearly suggests a rotating globe-like earth, yes?

Kitkat
captain of 100

Post by Kitkat »

jbalm wrote:The funniest thing about this thread is how the flat earthers manage to be condescending while simultaneously playing the persecuted victim.

It's fascinating. And wildly entertaining.
Glad you find it entertaining B-) But I'm not sure where you find those suggesting evidence for a flat earth, as condescending to who? Do you not see the deeper issue here? It is similar to discussing Jacob chapter 2, is it not? Anyone who sees the emperor's nakedness in that chapter, God condemning polygamy entirely, without exception, versus the accepted normal interpretation of God commanding polygamy when he sees the need are the crazy flat-earthers. It is a deeper issue that to us perfectly illustrates the Lord's parable of the wine bottles within human culture.

You have assumed or jumped to a conclusion, that those on this thread are flat-earthers rather than open minded to the evidences presented, here to discuss them. ;)

Ungläubige
captain of 50

Post by Ungläubige »

Kitkat wrote:
Spaced_Out wrote:

Yeah there are also millions of parents out there that have pretty much the majority of children thinking Santa is real. I don't do the Santa thing with my kids but I still perpetuate the lie to other people's kids out of respect for their choices... So until space travel is private travel - no first hand knowledge exists by us little guys.

It's all in the hands of the global parents. And guess who has a really hard believing anything the government tells me...yep...me

Just look at their track record and tell me why anyone should trust them.
You might want to trust the "global parents" somewhat since we all benefit from the technology they've developed and implemented. Gps navigational devices, global communications, satellite TV, weather tracking, etc

What have the flat earthers done for us so far?

Kitkat
captain of 100

Post by Kitkat »

Ungläubige wrote:
You might want to trust the "global parents" somewhat since we all benefit from the technology they've developed and implemented. Gps navigational devices, global communications, satellite TV, weather tracking, etc

Well, if you count Nikola Tesla, "flat earthers" or at least "non-globalists" :p have done more for society and science than any other I can think of, period. In fact, his contributions allowed all those things you mentioned.

All those "global parents" you pointed to have Nikola Tesla to thank for at least the pathway to their "inventions".
"Earth is a realm, it is not a planet. It is not an object, therefore, it has no edge. Earth would be more easily defined as a system environment. Earth is also a machine, it is a Tesla coil. The sun and moon are powered wirelessly with the electromagnetic field (the Aether). This field also suspends the celestial spheres with electo-magnetic levitation. Electromag levitation disproves gravity because the only force you need to counter is the electromagnetic force, not gravity. The stars are attached to the FIRMAMENT."

~ Nikola Tesla.
Here, knock one's self out with these as a start:
alternating current
harnessing light and distributing it (fluorescent bulbs 40 yrs before industry "invented" them)
x-rays
radio (supreme court backs up Tesla on this one)
remote control
electric motor
robotics
laser
wireless communication
possibly free energy

Speaking of the emperor's new clothes...
“[Einstein’s theory of relativity is] a magnificent mathematical garb which fascinates, dazzles and makes people blind to the underlying errors. The theory is like a beggar clothed in purple whom ignorant people take for a king… its exponents are brilliant men, but they are meta-physicists rather than scientists.”

~ Nikola Tesla,
Last edited by Kitkat on January 8th, 2017, 9:27 am, edited 5 times in total.

markharr
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by markharr »

For an observer on the ground with eye level at h = 5 ft 7 in (1.70 m), the horizon is at a distance of 2.9 miles (4.7 km). For an observer standing on a hill or tower 100 feet (30 m) in height, the horizon is at a distance of 12.2 miles (19.6 km).

You could be on a ship in the middle of the ocean with no land in sight and calm seas and the furthest you would ever be able to see is about 3 miles. The taller the ship, the further you would be able to see. I can see mountains 60 miles away from my house so that sight limitation distance on the ocean isn't due to how far the human eye can see, It is due to the curvature of the earth.

I worked for Cisco systems on the wireless presales team for a while. When customers would call in asking if a point to point wireless design was feasible, one of the things we would have to account for was the curvature of the earth. point to point wireless has to be line of sight. There can't be anything in between the two endpoints but with microwaves there is also a fresnal zone. A football shaped zone between the endpoints where if anything including the curvature of the earth gets into it, it degrades the signal quality. We actually accounted for the curvature of the earth in our calculations. Believe me, It would have been much easier if the earth was flat.

Ungläubige
captain of 50

Post by Ungläubige »

Kitkat wrote:
Ungläubige wrote:

Well, if you count Nikola Tesla, "flat earthers" or at least "non-globalists" :p have done more for society and science than any other I can think of, period. In fact, his contributions allowed all those things you mentioned.

All those "global parents" you pointed to have Nikola Tesla to thank for at least the pathway to their "inventions".
"Earth is a realm, it is not a planet. It is not an object, therefore, it has no edge. Earth would be more easily defined as a system environment. Earth is also a machine, it is a Tesla coil. The sun and moon are powered wirelessly with the electromagnetic field (the Aether). This field also suspends the celestial spheres with electo-magnetic levitation. Electromag levitation disproves gravity because the only force you need to counter is the electromagnetic force, not gravity. The stars are attached to the FIRMAMENT."

~ Nikola Tesla.
Here, knock one's self out with these as a start:
alternating current
harnessing light and distributing it (fluorescent bulbs 40 yrs before industry "invented" them)
x-rays
radio (supreme court backs up Tesla on this one)
remote control
electric motor
robotics
laser
wireless communication
possibly free energy

Speaking of the emperor's new clothes...
“[Einstein’s theory of relativity is] a magnificent mathematical garb which fascinates, dazzles and makes people blind to the underlying errors. The theory is like a beggar clothed in purple whom ignorant people take for a king… its exponents are brilliant men, but they are meta-physicists rather than scientists.”

~ Nikola Tesla,

"Nature may reach the same result in many ways. Like a wave in the physical world, in the infinite ocean of the medium which pervades all, so in the world of organisms, in life, an impulse started proceeds onward, at times, may be, with the speed of light, at times, again, so slowly that for ages and ages it seems to stay, passing through processes of a complexity inconceivable to men, but in all its forms, in all its stages, its energy ever and ever integrally present. A single ray of light from a distant star falling upon the eye of a tyrant in bygone times may have altered the course of his life, may have changed the destiny of nations, may have transformed the surface of the globe, so intricate, so inconceivably complex are the processes in Nature. In no way can we get such an overwhelming idea of the grandeur of Nature than when we consider, that in accordance with the law of the conservation of energy, throughout the Infinite, the forces are in a perfect balance, and hence the energy of a single thought may determine the motion of a universe."

Nikola Tesla

Ungläubige
captain of 50

Post by Ungläubige »

...the idea gradually took hold of me that the earth might be used in place of the wire, thus dispensing with artificial conductors altogether. The immensity of the globe seemed an unsurmountable obstacle but after a prolonged study of the subject I became satisfied that the undertaking was rational...
— Nikola Tesla
“Famous Scientific Illusions” (Electrical Experimenter, February, 1919)

Ungläubige
captain of 50

Post by Ungläubige »

If there are intelligent inhabitants of Mars or any other planet, it seems to me that we can do something to attract their attention... I have had this scheme under consideration for five or six years.
— Nikola Tesla

Most certainly, some planets are not inhabited, but others are, and among these there must exist life under all conditions and phases of development.
— Nikola Tesla

We are whirling through endless space, with and inconceivable speed, all around everything is spinning, everything is moving, everywhere there is energy. There must be some way of availing ourselves of this energy more directly. Then, with the light obtained from the medium, with the power derived from it, with every form of energy obtained without effort, from the store forever inexhaustible, humanity will advance with giant strides. The mere contemplation of these magnificent possibilities expand our minds, strengthens our hopes and and fills our hearts with supreme delight.
— Nikola Tesla

braingrunt
captain of 1,000

Post by braingrunt »

You know, I have the stirrings of suspicion about these flat earth videos. Is someone paying for a disinformation campaign? These videos and arguments have a weird mixture of sophistication and semi-high production values, while mixing with errors that I can spot in real-time (meaning for the most part I don't have to stop the video and think in order to spot the error).
Perhaps they are hiding something interesting behind all these REALLY bad arguments. Because when I hear hours of bad arguments it makes me want to stop taking the question seriously. But then again, I think, "Nah".

I will do a sunset experiment when I'm able, and if I don't see any problem with it, that will probably be the end of my thinking on the subject.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

larsenb wrote:
Robin Hood wrote:I conducted my own experiment a few months ago.
I live on the coast and was on the beach looking at some ships in the distance. As I stood and focused on a particular craft that was moving away from the shore and out to the open sea, I noticed it disappear below the horizon. This, we are told, is the result of the earth's curvature. However, I had my binoculars with me so I zoomed in on the horizon and the ship was once again in full view. Therefore the disappearance of the ship was not due to the curvature of the earth, but to perspective.

This does not prove that the earth is flat, but it does demonstrate, to me at least, that one of the most commonly cited evidences that it is spherical turns out to prove no such thing.

And it doesn't help that all the NASA images of the earth are, by their own admission, CGI composites. There may well be good reasons for this, but to those who suspect they are up to no good, it is further evidence of a conspiracy.
Here would be the next step of your experiment:

Next time you're on the beach with your binocs, wait until the ship disappears when viewed w/naked eye. Then focus on the ship w/your binocs . . . . while either keeping your binocs focused on the ship, or check it from time to time. I predict, even w/the binocs, the ship will once more appear to recede below the horizon.

I strongly suspect, you've encountered the interplay between the optical magnification effect, and perhaps refraction. Limits of the effect will be governed by the limits of magnification in relation to the size of the ship and the limit of the effects due to refraction.
Yes, it will recede. Then you pull out a telescope, and voila! it's back.

It really would be helpful to read up on it, as many experiments have been done already, and many theories of flat earth exist, too.

So "proving" how what your idea of a flat earth is wrong, might not do so for other flat earth theories.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

larsenb wrote:
JohnnyL wrote:
larsenb wrote:
JohnnyL wrote:
I get it--whatever YOU have been brainwashed into believing, it's true. Confirmation bias will make sure you don't look too deep or lose your moorings, make sure you overlook or quickly scoff away whatever doesn't fit.

Everything else that contradicts or questions what you have been brainwashed into believing=moronic/ idiotic, etc., and everyone who contradicts or questions, morons/ idiots/ etc. :ymsigh:

Please, give an answer to the laser question. If you can't, I guess that means you have something that contradicts your belief about spherical earth, right? No, because someone smart guy will come up with an answer. Whoops, except it's been a long time, and no one has.

It reminds me of how anit-M's work. Take the weakest argument, show it's weak, then dismiss everything else along with it--voila! Dumb Mormons!! It's what happens with most every conspiracy there is. If I be blunt about it, it's based on emotions and bias, not on science.

For every GR verse or quote or whatever you come up with, I could probably come up with hundreds of "official" contradictions from the MSM and MSS--but we both know the truth.

No one (I think) is trying to force, make, or persuade you or others to accept and believe in a flat earth. Ignore the laser problem. Ignore other problems. Or believe in what you want if you must-- but be open to truth, wherever it leads, whatever beliefs we must change. And maybe if we're open to that, we can actually truly believe the truths we believe.

PS Sometimes, the ancients had it closer to the truth than we did. ;)
Good grief. Obviously you have strong feelings about this issue. It's simply one I've never had an inkling anyone took serious.

What is the laser problem or question, by the way? Can you phrase and explain it in your own words?? That is always a biggie for me in determining if someone understands what they are trying to push or convince other people of.
And... that's what I figured. :ymapplause: i-)
What is it you figured?? You lost me.

You mentioned something about the importance of the "laser test". I'm just asking what that is and if you can explain what it is in your own words and why it is so important. Can you??
Some articles and the majority of the videos talk about it--if you didn't know, it was because you hadn't read or watched.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

5tev3 wrote:
JohnnyL wrote:
5tev3 wrote:
JohnnyL wrote:Once more, who is DEMANDING a flat earth, lol?
Haha, flat earth people who seem hellbent to prove it's flat!
Steve, show me a post where that's it, can you? No, but I can show you quite a few who are hellbent not just on proving that it's a sphere, but that anyone believing otherwise is ludicrous. Seriously?

Check your Shadow...
Check the poll this thread is based on, they may not be posting in this thread but search the forum, they are amomg us. I've been here since '08. Overall, I'm mostly just wondering out loud at how a person could believe such a thing. Not calling out anyone in particular.
In other words, you don't know/ can't point out where someone has seemed hellbent to prove it's flat?
Show evidence, and we'll see.
Don't show it, and I'll understand that's your FEELING about it, not what's really happened.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

larsenb wrote:
Patriot16 wrote:Interesting. Certainly not any more outrageous and improbable than much of the other delusionary things I've read in this forum.

Patriot16
Far more outrageous and improbable than anything I've read on this forum. Why? Because the curvature or the earth and its globe-like nature can be proved, yes, proved, any number of ways.
Then, here's an idea.
Take those numerous ideas, go to one of the flat earth forums, and prove that you are correct, and they are not, based on those numerous proofs. If you succeed, I would very much like to read the thread.

Actually, just one proof would suffice.

Thanks!

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

SmallFarm wrote:If you believe in Flat Earth then you cannot believe in conventional science on gravity:
Some flat earthers indeed may not believe conventional science in regards to gravity and so those arguments may be useless.
This is part of the structure of modern mainstream science: to prove show one thing, you have to use other supports that are also in question (even in the scientific community, though often on the fringes), which are often based on other questioned things, etc. Yes, it's a problem. A huge problem. Because showing that one part of one theory doesn't work, endangers everything else built on and around it. So even greater and more extreme scaffolding is built around it, and so on.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

AI2.0 wrote:
Kitkat wrote: Yes, I totally agree. Remember it was the masses that laughed Columbus off the map when he suggested the world was round. Have you ever been in space? I think not :) YOU DON'T KNOW... I came across the theory and I am extremely intrigued. Why not be open minded enough to have a civil discussion about it. No need to call names or make someone feel dumb. Badly done friends :ymhug:
It's a myth that people thought the earth was flat during Columbus' time. People knew it was round for centuries. I believe it was an Ancient Greek scientist who proved it was round.

Theories are interesting, but when they go into the ridiculous, and anyone gives them any credence....it's sad.

I really think the forum has 'jumped the shark' with this thread. That anyone (other than someone from an Amazonian or New Guinea tribe) would even think the earth might be flat is startling.
I've seen more startling things, like people thinking Clinton was the best choice in the election, etc. ;)

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

cayenne wrote:
larsenb wrote:I feel bad for Brian when people start pushing and arguing for something like this. His forum serves a good purpose. Where else can you let it all hang out regarding political, etc., discussions?

I don't like to see the forum labeled as a hangout for nut jobs and cranks. This kind of thread adds to that reputation.
If you do not like this thread, than kindly leave. There are some of us who rather like discussing these things. It is low and predictable in patterns when people really hate a subject, they will turn around and mock others for discussing it…..I discussed this in my previous post.

I do not feel bad for Bryan, I am glad he allows us to discuss a wide variety of subjects on here. You think they are crazy, that is your opinion and your free to have it. I think they are not crazy and I am free to have it. So let it go, and go to another thread then and discuss whatever you think is worthy of the forums time.

I will not be responding to you again in this thread if you proceed the way you are. Calling this thread a nut job and bringing Brian into it as if he would support your view is wrong. That is called manipulation 101, and it is not being nice.
Before you sign me off, could you give me your strongest reason why you think the earth is not like a globe, or is not an oblate spheroid? And see if you can explain it in your own words, not relying on something you've read, to speak for you. You could certainly reference sources, but I'm curious if you can explain it yourself in a way that would convince an impartial listener. This would benefit anyone you may be trying to persuade.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

AI2.0 wrote:You are right, I should be more tolerant. And I was, at first. But then people started buying into the delusion and it was hard to simply 'go along' for the sake of respecting differing beliefs.
I have to ask, do we have to accept all theories shared here or we aren't being supportive? If we point out that they are incorrect or point out evidence which disproves them, are we being intolerant?
"...buying into the delusion..." Which one is that? Ahh, the one you are not deluded about, right?
No, you don't have to accept all theories (except for the DS ones, and a few others, but if you don't comment, you're ok). I can't think of anything that comes even CLOSE to that on this thread, or any of the other flat earth threads. Have you? If you have, could you point them out to us?

Or is it that certain people who believe themselves non-deluded feel emotionally involved in having to be right on what they were taught as "the truth"?

I'm unaware of "...incorrect or evidence that disproves", can you point it out? ACTUAL evidence? I hear: vague scriptures quoted, "my job...", "if you did this, then probably... (even though I haven't done this experiment)", etc. Do YOU have any evidence? Please share.

If you can't do either of those things (1st, 3rd paragraph), please ask yourself about what's really going on here. :-?

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

cayenne wrote:People will mock. Just go to any "off the mainstream view" topic on forums, youtube comments,etc and people will mock. I have found that usually those that mock, or "roll their eyes" type stuff at these supposedly "stupid" waste of time "conspiracies" are actually very uncomfortable. They feel like there are certain truths that they know, and now others are believing in the possibility of opposites that would shake their very cores if true. People get set in their ways, and they don't like it when their foundations are messed with (we are all like that from time to time)

Think about your whole life supposedly knowing the earth is round, and then some people come out and say its flat…. "are you kidding me" …."who would believe such non sense!"….."you are an idiot to believe something so stupid!"……"wow, I hope you don't teach your kids that garbage!"….."wow, it takes all kinds!".."what an uneducated fool!"……"Why are you wasting your time!"……etc etc

and yet, I have found over and over, that there are many subjects called "conspiracies" that have at least some truth to them. It is sad that most people do not actually take the time to research. How many naysayers out there about the flat earth have actually researched NASA, and all the round earth proofs? Seriously, are those that mock the flat earth on these forums astronomers? Or science teachers? Or something with additional knowledge then what you grew up learning in school? Then, how many people have researched the other side of the equation. How many "educated" in astronomy will actually research the other side and not mock. In other words unless God gives it to you direct, he expects us to research all sides, and prove all things.

Flat earth and questioning the official holocaust story are the 2 top most angering, mocking "conspiracies" I have encountered. Not even 911 being an inside job and evolution are as bad as I have seen with those other 2 subjects. (evolution is pretty vicious sometimes in peoples comments, but flat earth is worse because it encompasses evolutions foundations as being false, and more)

check out the raw high altitude balloon videos on youtube, and then some of NASA's manipulations with a fish eye lens

check out rockets in a vacuum

check out the first radio transmissions from Arlington VA that reached overseas without repeating towers.

actually, if you really want to research, youtube has many videos.

Who knows, maybe the earth is a plane, with a sphere dome over and under, and the sun, moon, and stars move, maybe the plane moves too? Maybe there is a firmament of low earth orbit, and then an outer firmament leaving us free to move in the sphere in which we have been placed. I think we can take versus in Alma and helaman and the Bible, comments from NASA and obama and others, gravity, satellites, mix it all together and come up with a proving of the contraries like Joseph Smith loved to do. Even if we mix them and they both have truth and error, NASA and the government would still need to cover up much of it for there anti-God, evolution, humanism goals.
:ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:

See it all the time, and especially in those two topics.

THERE ARE PROBLEMS WITH THESE THEORIES. BIG ONES. That is an undeniable fact.

Actually, there are problems with MOST other theories, too. That is an undeniable fact.

The fact that these problems exist, shows we SHOULD be searching for more truth, not happy to be spouting off what we've been taught.
Actually, I don't think most people are happy doing that, but there does seem to be lots of pleasure in bashing others who don't believe those theories are true.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

SmallFarm wrote:It seems evident with my own eyes that every heavenly sphere is round, why would Earth be any different? SO it would take a considerable amount of evidence to make me question that belief.
Seems that way.

But... black swans.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

JohnnyL wrote:
larsenb wrote:
Robin Hood wrote:I conducted my own experiment a few months ago.
I live on the coast and was on the beach looking at some ships in the distance. As I stood and focused on a particular craft that was moving away from the shore and out to the open sea, I noticed it disappear below the horizon. This, we are told, is the result of the earth's curvature. However, I had my binoculars with me so I zoomed in on the horizon and the ship was once again in full view. Therefore the disappearance of the ship was not due to the curvature of the earth, but to perspective.

This does not prove that the earth is flat, but it does demonstrate, to me at least, that one of the most commonly cited evidences that it is spherical turns out to prove no such thing.

And it doesn't help that all the NASA images of the earth are, by their own admission, CGI composites. There may well be good reasons for this, but to those who suspect they are up to no good, it is further evidence of a conspiracy.
Here would be the next step of your experiment:

Next time you're on the beach with your binocs, wait until the ship disappears when viewed w/naked eye. Then focus on the ship w/your binocs . . . . while either keeping your binocs focused on the ship, or check it from time to time. I predict, even w/the binocs, the ship will once more appear to recede below the horizon.

I strongly suspect, you've encountered the interplay between the optical magnification effect, and perhaps refraction. Limits of the effect will be governed by the limits of magnification in relation to the size of the ship and the limit of the effects due to refraction.
Yes, it will recede. Then you pull out a telescope, and voila! it's back.

It really would be helpful to read up on it, as many experiments have been done already, and many theories of flat earth exist, too.

So "proving" how what your idea of a flat earth is wrong, might not do so for other flat earth theories.
The question remains, what is the limit to being able to see the ship as it recedes below the horizon as you keep increasing magnification.

Flip the process: explain why an observer would see the ship disappear 'below the horizon' if the sea were actually flat. Give me some physical/optical explanation for that, if you can.

I predict that I'll wait .. . . and wait . . . . and keep on waiting . . . for the logical explanation as to how and why that could happen.