The Earth is Not a Globe!?! Is God literal, water above and below the firmament?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.

What do the scriptures teach us about the earth?

The Earth is a globe.
67%
The Earth is Flat like a terrarium (a dome).
14%
The Earth is a globe and hollow.
15%
The Earth is Flat and hollow.
3%

Total votes: 98
braingrunt
captain of 1,000

Re: The Earth is Not a Globe!?! Is God literal, water above and below the firmament?

Post by braingrunt »

And that flat earth video where they put the image of earth in photoshop and brighten the colors, revealing some squaring: they don't know what they are talking about. Jpeg compression always creates those kinds of artifacts when targeting web-size/quality. It's how it compresses and they just erode their credibility again.

You can do this yourself. open a file in paint, fill the image with black, paint a small blue circle, and save at as jpg at about 70% quality. open it in more serious editor and up the lightness. You'll see similar squaring as in the flat earth video. I did this myself.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Re: The Earth is a Globe!! God is literal, heaven above and hell below! Crazy theories in between!

Post by iWriteStuff »

I voted "The Earth is Flat and hollow" because science is for losers. :-B

Seriously, why are there 18 pages of debate on this?
"The angels do not reside on a planet like this earth; But they reside in the presence of God, on a globe like a sea of glass and fire...."
- D&C 130:6-7
It takes a strong imagination not to understand that literally. Our planet is like God's - a globe. Other times referred to as a "sphere":
Sphere: a perfectly round geometrical object in three-dimensional space that is the surface of a completely round ball.
I look forward to seeing you guys back at the debate on Page 100. Carry on. :ymparty:

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: The Earth is Not a Globe!?! Is God literal, water above and below the firmament?

Post by shadow »

Robin Hood wrote: April 21st, 2017, 6:57 am
What I saw at 36,000 feet was a flat horizon which rose to my eye level; exactly what one would expect to see while flying over a flat plain. There was no evidence of curvature whatsoever.
There was evidence, you just didn't apply it. Next time you're up in the air grab some peanuts and some good binoculars and look towards Mt. Everest and tell me if you can see it. On clear days, you should be able to IF the earth is flat. You're only flying about 10K feet higher than it's elevation. Should be VERY easy to see. With good binoculars you can see a detailed moon. Mt. Everest should be a breeze to see.
With a good telescope you can see the rings of Saturn but you can't see Mt. Everest from your back yard? Even Mr. KitKat can't climb King's Peak (the highest point in Utah) with a good telescope and find Mt. Rainier (highest peak in Washington). He should almost have a straight line shot (Rainier is a bit higher) but because of the earths curvature he won't find it. All he can do is eat a Snickers and ponderize. Simple experiments. You can even go to the ocean and watch a big ship leave. Eventually you'll just see the top of it until it finally disappears. That reminds me, ever sat on the beach in So. Cali and looked through a telescope at Hawaii? Simple experiments.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

shadow wrote: April 21st, 2017, 2:46 pm
What I saw at 36,000 feet was a flat horizon which rose to my eye level; exactly what one would expect to see while flying over a flat plain. There was no evidence of curvature whatsoever.
There was evidence, you just didn't apply it. Next time you're up in the air grab some peanuts and some good binoculars and look towards Mt. Everest and tell me if you can see it. On clear days, you should be able to IF the earth is flat. You're only flying about 10K feet higher than it's elevation. Should be VERY easy to see. With good binoculars you can see a detailed moon. Mt. Everest should be a breeze to see.
With a good telescope you can see the rings of Saturn but you can't see Mt. Everest from your back yard? Even Mr. KitKat can't climb King's Peak (the highest point in Utah) with a good telescope and find Mt. Rainier (highest peak in Washington). He should almost have a straight line shot (Rainier is a bit higher) but because of the earths curvature he won't find it. All he can do is eat a Snickers and ponderize. Simple experiments. You can even go to the ocean and watch a big ship leave. Eventually you'll just see the top of it until it finally disappears. That reminds me, ever sat on the beach in So. Cali and looked through a telescope at Hawaii? Simple experiments.
It's reasoning like that that gives the "globe-earthers" such a bad reputation in flat earth circles. There is such a thing as perspective, which ensures that we can't see infinitely. When you see Saturn through your telescope you're actually seeing only a few centimeters, ie the distance from your eye to the lens of the telescope.
Excuse the pun, but this isn't rocket science.

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

Robin Hood wrote: April 21st, 2017, 3:01 pm
It's reasoning like that that gives the "globe-earthers" such a bad reputation in flat earth circles. There is such a thing as perspective, which ensures that we can't see infinitely. When you see Saturn through your telescope you're actually seeing only a few centimeters, ie the distance from your eye to the lens of the telescope.
So why can't you see Mt. Everest? It's not rocket science to figure out how telescopes work regarding X power and zooming. A mountain a couple hundred miles away should be visible using simple math equations, and yet they remain hidden under the horizon. Correct, it's not rocket science. You validate the ignorance of "flat-earthers".

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

Robin Hood wrote: April 21st, 2017, 3:01 pm
Regardless of the fact that you are seeing only a few centimeters, if you have binoculars you should be able to see Mt. Everest when you are on an airplane if the Earth is flat and given no cloud cover. The same principles that apply to viewing Mt. Everest through binoculars are in play with viewing Saturn through a telescope. The point is that with some device that extends your ability to see far off like binoculars, you should be able to see Mt. Everest while flying in an airplane if the Earth were flat.

-Finrock

gclayjr
captain of 1,000

Post by gclayjr »

Robin Hood,
Actually it's reasoning like yours that gives you "flat earthers" such a bad reputation among people who actually believe in science, observation and rational thinking. Among the various crazy conspiracies out there this is actually the craziest. I did a little research on this. In order for your theory to "work? you have to make the following assumptions (Based upon statements by those who actually believe this hogwash)

1.) All of NASA is in on a conspiracy to deceive us about the Earth being the center of the Universe as built by God

2.) All of the people involved in space programs or for deploying satellites in all countries of the world are in on the conspiracy ( I guess that includes a number of my own close relatives who are in on this conspiracy)

3. Any pilot in history who claims to have circumnavigated the earth from pole to pole is in on the conspiracy which includes the military of most nations.

4) All pilots and Ships navigators make sure that they only go around the plate shaped surface and never go towards any edge in accordance with the conspiracy

5) All physicists who have done any experimentation with gravity is in on the conspiracy, because there no such thing as gravity (it is some electromagnetic force that holds us to the flat earth

6) All of the scientists who have experimented with light are in on the conspiracy (because in order to explain why you can't see Mt. Everest, flat earthers have come up with a theory that light only travels so far then it stops. It is also how they explain how it can be day time in Australia while night time in England also

7) of course everybody who has ever "photo-shopped or in other ways helped hide the evidence is in on the conspiracy

8) Heck even Galileo has to be in on this conspiracy.

.... and nobody ever over all of the history of the earth revealed this great secret !! No Wikileaks, no Edward Snowdens or nothing ever !!!!!

This requires so insane a level of people over history conspiring to hide the fact that we re really at the center of the universe that it boggles the mind and makes such fruitcake ideas such as that the airplane hitting the Pentagon on 9-11 2001 was an optical illusion seem rational.

And you wonder why nobody listens to the cry wolf wolf conspiracy folks' warnings!

Its a shame, because if you ever actually stumbled upon a REAL conspiracy, you couldn't warn anybody, because nobody could tell the difference between that and the rest of this BS.

Regards,

George Clay

Kitkat
captain of 100

Post by Kitkat »

With better technology, we can now go back to the original 16mm film reels from moon landings to be able to study color banding, audio, strange weather and shadow anomalies. Doesn't help to dispel the evidences mounting for flat earth and the dome God put over her.

Some of the most revealing info that comes from analyzing these videos are the responses from the astronauts to an unknown voice.

Kitkat
captain of 100

Post by Kitkat »

Grab some buttered popcorn and about an hour of your time...

Why would NASA FAKE it? One theory.

Kitkat
captain of 100

Post by Kitkat »

A good read on the topic of a flat earth in the Bible...
https://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/febible.htm

gclayjr
captain of 1,000

Post by gclayjr »

Robin Hood, Kitkat,

Oh my gosh, I just figured out that I must also be part of the great conspiracy needed to hide the absolute scientific fact that the earth is a sphere that circles around a sun that is 93 million miles away!!

You see I am an amateur radio operator. I hold a general class license. My call sign is N3FWL. You can look it up. Both in order to pass exams and in order to operate a ham radio, you have to be able to calculate both the curvature of the earth and the time it takes for light to get to the earth from the sun!

You see there are different kinds of radio signals, HF(High Frequency), VHF (Very High Frequency), UHF(Ultra High Frequency) etc. In the case of HF frequencies you have to calculate skips and bends as the signal bends around the globe. This is effected by both the atmosphere and sun spot activity. Amateur radio operators carefully track this activity and time it as it comes from the sun, in order to make those DX (long distance communications around the earth). Also when you operate at VHF and particularly UHF frequencies, the signal is line of sight (very much like light) Radio waves and light are the same phenomenon only at different frequencies. You communicate at VHF and UHF frequencies via repeaters. These repeaters are radio stations with very high antennae scattered about the world. You can calculate how far you can transmit to a repeater based upon the height of your antennae, the repeater's antennae, the relative altitudes AND THE CURVATURE OF THE EARTH. Radio operators do this all the time and the math and physics works!

So either the earth IS a sphere which rotates around a sun 93 million miles away OR all radio operators, including amateur operators including me are to also be included in all of the people conspiring to hide the truth from you about the flat earth that God put at the center of a tiny universe! Sorry about not confessing my part of this cover up before!

Of course for many here, I guess it may even be easier to to include me as part of the conspiracy to hide the fact that the earth is actually flat as it is to believe that Jewish bankers are responsible for manipulating the world economy, or the CIA and military manipulating our minds by chem trails from jets.

Regards,

George Clay

braingrunt
captain of 1,000

Post by braingrunt »

A flat earther, or any other conspiracy theorist for that matter, has alternate explanations for some things which other people interpret differently (such as circumnavigation); they also find ways of limiting the number of people who have to "actually know". I do it with 9/11.

Sometimes we prove we haven't been listening to them and when we get all bothered we just increase their perception that we are just acting out some kind of social programming which doesn't like to be challenged. Indeed, as a person who has told others I have a new hobby of debating flat vs round earth, I'm a little shocked at their primal overreaction. But I've seen that happen on both sides.

But, I also get it. Some people feel, wow, what a colossal waste of time. And, they're right. The flat earth model is false. I know this for myself and except for the fun it provides me, I couldn't possibly recommend people spend time stewing over it.

gclayjr
captain of 1,000

Post by gclayjr »

braingrunt,

You are right! I guess I have been blind sided in finding out how many people believe this stuff. I find it hard to believe4 that anybody in 2017 could actually believe this when there is so overwhelming evidence of its falsity. I decided to take a small amount of time to perform some basic do diligence research into this, and discovered that the arguments for the flat earth model, against the overwhelming evidence to the contrary are founded upon a grand conspiracy that makes all other conspiracies seem tiny and insignificant.

I am often criticized by many for not believing in conspiracies, and not recognizing the "Gadiantons" among us. I actually do believe in in conspiracies. I also believe that a lemming like rush to every conspiracy recorded by very questionable "alternate" sources, actually blinds one to real conspiracies, and discredits a person from being able to actually warn about a "real" danger when it is discovered or encountered.

I can think of no other conspiracy that can be based upon such shaky ridiculous assumptions and reasoning than a conspiracy to create a massive scientific, visual, and historical false evidence of a spherical world, that cannot be refuted by actual scientific measurement, or a visual record, that holds up to all scrutiny just to persuade us that we are an insignificant planet in a great universe, rather than being the center of God's creation.

Not only did so many people throughout history create such a scientific and mathematically provable definition of the spherical earth, but they also prevented anybody from actually being able to observe any serious evidence of the truth of the flat earth theory , such as observing the edge of the earth, or the low hanging tiny sun, stars and moon. Also, they have no explanation for things that I take for granted such as how radio waves are propagated, which can only occur as I personally have measured and observed (and used for communication) without following behavior which can be predicted by a spherical earth that rotates around a sun 93 million miles away.

So all of the obvious failures in the flat earth model, cannot be observed because the conspirators block any effort to actually make basic measurements and observations, and all of the observations, and measurements that prove a spherical earth are manufactured by the conspiracy,and they are such a grand and perfect conspiracy that nobody has ever been able to escape or penetrate it and observe any of the "proofs" out there.

I thought that I had seen just how for out into La-La land many conspiracy theorist have gone, until, I checked into this one, and found out that no matter how ridiculous some of these theories are, I guess there is always one even more ridiculous. As I have repeated over and over, one loses credibility in warning against Real conspiracies if one promotes such obvious fallacies!

Regards,

George Clay

Older/wiser?
captain of 100

Post by Older/wiser? »

gclayjr wrote: April 21st, 2017, 9:44 pm Robin Hood, Kitkat,

Oh my gosh, I just figured out that I must also be part of the great conspiracy needed to hide the absolute scientific fact that the earth is a sphere that circles around a sun that is 93 million miles away!!

You see I am an amateur radio operator. I hold a general class license. My call sign is N3FWL. You can look it up. Both in order to pass exams and in order to operate a ham radio, you have to be able to calculate both the curvature of the earth and the time it takes for light to get to the earth from the sun!

You see there are different kinds of radio signals, HF(High Frequency), VHF (Very High Frequency), UHF(Ultra High Frequency) etc. In the case of HF frequencies you have to calculate skips and bends as the signal bends around the globe. This is effected by both the atmosphere and sun spot activity. Amateur radio operators carefully track this activity and time it as it comes from the sun, in order to make those DX (long distance communications around the earth). Also when you operate at VHF and particularly UHF frequencies, the signal is line of sight (very much like light) Radio waves and light are the same phenomenon only at different frequencies. You communicate at VHF and UHF frequencies via repeaters. These repeaters are radio stations with very high antennae scattered about the world. You can calculate how far you can transmit to a repeater based upon the height of your antennae, the repeater's antennae, the relative altitudes AND THE CURVATURE OF THE EARTH. Radio operators do this all the time and the math and physics works!

So either the earth IS a sphere which rotates around a sun 93 million miles away OR all radio operators, including amateur operators including me are to also be included in all of the people conspiring to hide the truth from you about the flat earth that God put at the center of a tiny universe! Sorry about not confessing my part of this cover up before!

Of course for many here, I guess it may even be easier to to include me as part of the conspiracy to hide the fact that the earth is actually flat as it is to believe that Jewish bankers are responsible for manipulating the world economy, or the CIA and military manipulating our minds by chem trails from jets.

Regards,

George Clay
What !! you mean the CIA and Military aren't manipulating our minds by Chem trails from Jets ? Darn now what is the excuse for all the crazy things on the net !

Kitkat
captain of 100

Post by Kitkat »

gclayjr wrote: April 21st, 2017, 9:44 pm Robin Hood, Kitkat,

Regards,

George Clay
As a child... That is how the Lord says we will enter the Kingdom of God. Please start this thread over, and do it as a child and the Father of Lights, who made the firmament and the dome he sits at the top of, can teach you what no man considers or knows.

Kitkat
captain of 100

Post by Kitkat »

^^^ from videos posted above this post...
The seed war is an interesting perspective which can help one be open to the possibility of the flat earth.
BEGUILED ME...
Operation Dominic (of the Lord) to test nuclear hits on operation Fish Bowl. Wow.

"The Fish Bowl of the Lord" is the meaning of Operation Dominic and Fish Bowl...

NASA in Hebrew means... "To Deceive"? To Greatly Deceived, or Beguile greatly. hmmm.

Kitkat
captain of 100

Post by Kitkat »

Some PHDs showing NASA is a fraud:
http://aulis.com/

Kitkat
captain of 100

Post by Kitkat »

First time I've heard of "Auguste Piccard". Friend of Albert Einstein. PHD in physics. Engineer. Built craft to be first man in stratosphere. Jean Luke Piccard (star trek) named after him?

He said of his experience upon reaching the stratosphere, after complaining that his ship he took up there kept leaking water... water... he said upon seeing the earth below, "it seems a disk with upturned edges."

George Clay,
Am I understanding this is the "la-la land conspiracy ridiculousness" you speak of? Were his eyes just not seeing the curve? What of the water leaks he had as he got up that high?

Popular Science 1931:
https://imgur.com/gallery/miXLb

FYI. This was before NASA (aka. to beguile or deceive). There are many more of these men who were seeing flat earth before and now after NASA.

It is up to each of us to trust the voice of God, not the voice of science and philosophies of men.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: The Earth is a Globe!! God is literal, heaven above and hell below! Crazy theories in between!

Post by JohnnyL »

iWriteStuff wrote: April 21st, 2017, 2:34 pm I voted "The Earth is Flat and hollow" because science is for losers. :-B

"The angels do not reside on a planet like this earth; But they reside in the presence of God, on a globe like a sea of glass and fire...."
It takes a strong imagination not to understand that literally. Our planet is like God's - a globe. Other times referred to as a "sphere":
Sphere: a perfectly round geometrical object in three-dimensional space that is the surface of a completely round ball.
I look forward to seeing you guys back at the debate on Page 100. Carry on. :ymparty:
So you are assuming that since that is what it will be like, that is what it is, now, correct?

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

Kitkat wrote: April 23rd, 2017, 1:36 pm

It is up to each of us to trust the voice of God, not the voice of science and philosophies of men.
Amen.
Is the voice of God still telling you Jonathan Cahn is correct or are you over that now since he was wrong? Just curious.

It wasn't NASA that claimed the earth is a globe, it's been known factually for centuries. It's the philosophies of men that claim the earth is flat.

gclayjr
captain of 1,000

Post by gclayjr »

KitKat,
George Clay,
Am I understanding this is the "la-la land conspiracy ridiculousness" you speak of? Were his eyes just not seeing the curve? What of the water leaks he had as he got up that high?

Popular Science 1931:
https://imgur.com/gallery/miXLb

FYI. This was before NASA (aka. to beguile or deceive). There are many more of these men who were seeing flat earth before and now after NASA.

"condemnation before investigation is the height of ignorance"

What an amazingly small world!

I was very good friends with Auguste Piccard's Nephew. Jean Piccard. (Not the captain of the Starship Enterprise but as silly as some of the logic here, I guess I could sell such an idea... although the character Jean Luc Piccard was apparently named after his father). I used to go to his house regularly and we discussed many things including the gospel. We met while both of us were shopping for machine tool parts. He was a scientist at DuPont. I spend many an evening at his house with him and his charming wife. He came to my 50th Birthday celebration. He is dead now.

He often talked about his father and his father's twin brother, his uncle Auguste and their pioneering exploits ballooning. He also talked about his father's friend Henry Ford (Yes, that Henry Ford). I guarantee, that no matter what you infer from that PS Article Neither He, his Uncle nor his father believed that the world was Flat. They were both intelligent men with a great respect for exploring and science. And he certainly did not think the earth was flat either!!

Regards,

George Clay

PS: Again the PS article is making no implication that the world is flat. They are simply reporting a description of what was seen. If you believe that at 50,000 feet, they could see the whole flat earth, Why can't I see the Rocky Mountains from 30,000 feet? In fact why can't I see Philadelphia from the top of the Poconos mts less than 100 miles away? In fact why can't I see Philadelphia,. from an airplane 100 miles from Philadelphia?

michaelhord
captain of 10

Post by michaelhord »

Mormonism may be hanging in the balance on the subject of whether or not the earth is a globe or flat.

Genesis 1:16-17 Tells us that the sun, moon and stars were put in the firmament.
Genesis 1:6 tells us that the firmament devides the waters above from the waters below. It cannot mean the sky leading to space and the solar system. Our earth, sun , moon and stars are enclosed.
Revelation 6:13 tells us that the stars will fall to earth like figs from a tree.
Joshua an eyewitness reports in chapter 10:12-14 that the sun and moon stop and do not move for a day.
Isaiah also an eyewitness reports in 38:8 that the sun moved backwards 10 degrees.
In direct contradiction , Helaman 12:14 tells us that it is the earth that moves and not the sun.
On April 8, 1843 Joseph Smith replied to Deacon Homespun's Statement that "the earth is flat as a pancake" by saying that "science has proven to the contrary". ( easily found on google)
Joseph Smith did not refer to Helaman but instead referred to science for the answer.

President Uchtdorf addressed flat earth briefly in 2013 when flat earth was barely a topic of discussion. The church is aware of the subject.

If the earth is flat then Joseph Smith and the book of Mormon are wrong. Currently the belief in a spherical earth is safe but flat earth is trending upwards at a fast pace and evidence for it is piling up while evidence for a spherical earth is being discredited .

Had Joseph Smith referred to Helaman instead of science the church could have just said there was a mistake made by men and made a simple change but Joseph Smith has locked the church in to a heliocentric position and because President Uchtdorf has addressed the subject he has added another lock. He cannot come back and say that the church hasnt decided yet. The comment by Joseph Smith will be used against us.

I have noticed the comments about flat earth being a wacka doo conspiracy. Anyone who has seen Nasa's fakery has much reason to doubt and there is a lot of fakery to be found and easily. I have no doubt that it is only a matter of time before detractors of the church run with flat earth and they are going to use it against us.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

JohnnyL wrote: April 23rd, 2017, 1:42 pm
iWriteStuff wrote: April 21st, 2017, 2:34 pm I voted "The Earth is Flat and hollow" because science is for losers. :-B

So you are assuming that since that is what it will be like, that is what it is, now, correct?
And you're assuming this world isn't patterned after the others?

michaelhord
captain of 10

Post by michaelhord »

It takes more imagination to assume an expanding universe than an infinite plane.
Both can have as many worlds as they want but it is much easier to do on a plane.

braingrunt
captain of 1,000

Post by braingrunt »

Kitkat wrote: April 23rd, 2017, 11:03 am
As a child... That is how the Lord says we will enter the Kingdom of God. Please start this thread over, and do it as a child and the Father of Lights, who made the firmament and the dome he sits at the top of, can teach you what no man considers or knows.
I've sought answers from God on this subject,
I think he told me the earth is globe shape. I also think that if anything, God has helped form my objections to flat earth theory, and find problems with the few counter-explanations offered by flat earth adherents.

Flat earth theory is only simple on the surface. It gets complicated in a very non-childlike way, very quickly. Here are some concepts which get really hairy:
Celestial Perspective, Vanishing Point, Magnetic sun and moon, Moonphase theory, Eclipse theory, Magnetic Coriolis, Atmospheric lensing, Sunset timing and location theory, Tidal theory, Air Pressure theory, Star Parallax, Conspiracy theory, Flat Analemma.
The complicated explanations are endless because that's the only way to behave when a pet theory shows problems. Childlike eyes looks at all that and says, uh, the ball is easier to understand.