Mormon Tabernacle Choir to perform at Trump innaguration

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Mormon Tabernacle Choir to perform at Trump innaguration

Post by Elizabeth »

http://www.sltrib.com/lifestyle/faith/4 ... praises-of" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Sen. Harry Reid, the most powerful Latter-day Saint in the federal government, added his voice Friday to the chorus of those applauding — and defending — the singer who resigned from the Mormon Tabernacle Choir rather than perform at President-elect Donald Trump's inauguration.

Jan Chamberlin, a member of the famed group for five years, sent a resignation letter to the choir president and her fellow singers Thursday, saying she could not participate in any event that seemed to be an endorsement of a man she considers a bigot.

"I understand completely the difficult choice Jan had to make," Reid said in a statement to The Salt Lake Tribune. "She loves the choir, she loves to sing, she loves to promote the values she holds dear, and she loves her church — the same church that Trump's top adviser, Steve Bannon, mocked when he ridiculed Mitt Romney's sons."

Todd
captain of 100

Post by Todd »

If her personal political views were offended, why couldn't Jan just not go? Why make s fuss. And seriously... throwing roses to hiitler?

I thought the choir sang to honor our country and the office of the president.

Little confused why Jan fell on her sword over this.

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

If you are curious, look into values of authoritarianism and also read up on characteristics of authoritarian religions, and you might better understand why her dissent causes the confusion you are feeling.

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

Sunain wrote:If Hilter had invited the choir to perform for him, they should have.
Yes. What if Jesse Owens pouted and childishly proclaimed "Hitler's a fascist, so I refuse to participate in the Olympics since it's in Germany."

What a selfish, petulant thing to do. Jan Chamberlin should be ashamed of herself and her behavior.

Sunain
captain of 1,000

Post by Sunain »

skmo wrote:What a selfish, petulant thing to do. Jan Chamberlin should be ashamed of herself and her behavior.
Yes, definitely petulant! I was trying to think of a good word that describes this situation all day.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Harry Reid praises her? Well that certainly should cause her some soul searching.

Todd
captain of 100

Post by Todd »

Joel wrote:If you are curious, look into values of authoritarianism and also read up on characteristics of authoritarian religions, and you might better understand why her dissent causes the confusion you are feeling.
Why yes, Joel. Thank you so much for your help. I did indeed look into the values of authoritarianism and the characteristics of authoritarian religions and now I'm even more confused about what apocalyptic fantasies are swirling about in your mind.

As for me (and a lot of others) it's simple, Joel. This isn't the Anschluss. The brown-shirts are not forcing the Mormon Tabernacle Choir to sing Edelweiss at the Kaltzberg Festival... and the Choir is not forcing Jan to perform. In fact, only a portion of the choir can go.

She didn't need to resign. A classy move would have been to just say, "No thanks" and let someone else perform who understands the values of a Republic and the freedom of religion.

Sorry, Joel, Donald Trump is not going to be the Fuhrer of America. Not even in your wildest Julie Rowe fantasy is that going to happen.

The office of the President is bigger than Trump, even bigger than his hair in a stiff wind.

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

=)) perfect!

eddie
captain of 1,000

Post by eddie »

Todd wrote:
Joel wrote:If you are curious, look into values of authoritarianism and also read up on characteristics of authoritarian religions, and you might better understand why her dissent causes the confusion you are feeling.
Why yes, Joel. Thank you so much for your help. I did indeed look into the values of authoritarianism and the characteristics of authoritarian religions and now I'm even more confused about what apocalyptic fantasies are swirling about in your mind.

As for me (and a lot of others) it's simple, Joel. This isn't the Anschluss. The brown-shirts are not forcing the Mormon Tabernacle Choir to sing Edelweiss at the Kaltzberg Festival... and the Choir is not forcing Jan to perform. In fact, only a portion of the choir can go.

She didn't need to resign. A classy move would have been to just say, "No thanks" and let someone else perform who understands the values of a Republic and the freedom of religion.

Sorry, Joel, Donald Trump is not going to be the Fuhrer of America. Not even in your wildest Julie Rowe fantasy is that going to happen.

The office of the President is bigger than Trump, even bigger than his hair in a stiff wind.
:ymapplause: :ymapplause: Right on Todd!

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Is anyone forgetting the up side to this story? The woman who will replace her will be so grateful for the opportunity to join the choir. This lady who is basking in her teeny-tiny bit of fame is not indispensable, far from it.

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

Fiannan wrote:Harry Reid praises her? Well that certainly should cause her some soul searching.
Can I get an Amen?

Oh - Wait - I'm giving one myself.

A-FRIGGEN'-MEN!!!

If Reid even claimed to be the same species as me, I'd want DNA proof.

Benjamin_LK
captain of 1,000

Post by Benjamin_LK »

Good. Better them than a lot of others I can think of.

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

Joel wrote:
. . . .
Always surprising the niches delusion can be found in, even in the MTC. My, my 8-|

makkie
captain of 10

Post by makkie »

"Sen. Harry Reid, the most powerful Latter-day Saint in the federal government, added his voice Friday to the chorus of those applauding — and defending — the singer who resigned from the Mormon Tabernacle Choir rather than perform at President-elect Donald Trump's inauguration.

Jan Chamberlin, a member of the famed group for five years, sent a resignation letter to the choir president and her fellow singers Thursday, saying she could not participate in any event that seemed to be an endorsement of a man she considers a bigot.

"I understand completely the difficult choice Jan had to make," Reid said in a statement to The Salt Lake Tribune. "She loves the choir, she loves to sing, she loves to promote the values she holds dear, and she loves her church — the same church that Trump's top adviser, Steve Bannon, mocked when he ridiculed Mitt Romney's sons."

And how many of these values does Harry Reid espouse-NONE........

oneClimbs
captain of 1,000

Post by oneClimbs »

Well, I think this is a hard choice. You don't want to support tyranny, but the only option is no to simply flee from it. Think of Daniel and Joseph acting as servants to a king and pharaoh. Think of Ammon going to be the servant for king Lamoni who regularly had his servants murdered. The served so that the spirit might touch the heart of the leader, not to endorse their ideals. On the other hand, Ammon's strategy probably wouldn't have worked for king Noah, so it's tough to know when a particular strategy is appropriate.

Even king Mosiah thought his sons were insane for wanting to go preach to the Lamanites. He had to ask the Lord and the Lord said it was ok. Never underestimate the potential for the darkest of hearts to change. Obama, Trump, Hillary, they are children of God and all have the potential to change and do great things. As long as a person has breath in them, we should never write them off.

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

makkie wrote:"Sen. Harry Reid, the most powerfully and horribly odoriferous Latter-day Saint in the federal government.....
Fixed it for the Trib.

markharr
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by markharr »

At Reid house, treadmill runs over you.

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

Hey many of you like spurious prophecy,so here is one from me: This lady will take herself out of the church within 18 months.

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

markharr wrote:At Reid house, treadmill runs over you.
I'm surprised so few see that truth you've hinted at here. Reid deserves our compassion.

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

e-eye wrote:The mo-tab doesn't turn down opportunities to share the gospel like this.

The sad part for this lady is that she never had to resign to avoid signing. There were so many who wanted to go that they put their names in a hat to be drawn so she was never asked to go and never invited unless she would have put her name in the first place. The members of the choir were asked that if they didn't want to sign that was okay but to please not make a big deal of it to the media.

There is a sifting that is going on and Satan rejoices when he can get even 1 person to cause division in the church. I feel sorry for this lady and her understanding of the gospel I hope she can take a pause and understand what she is doing to herself. As for what she is doing to the church - it's probably just bringing more attention to the church for the better as those who are true seekers of the truth will look at this as a positive thing and lets face it, there are more conservatives than liberals in the church. Unfortunately it's just more persecution by the media but we have been warned that it is coming. It's going to be far worse than this.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

Elizabeth wrote:http://www.sltrib.com/lifestyle/faith/4 ... praises-of

Reid is a disgrace to the Church, to the country and to himself, above and beyond the singer who resigned in such a disgraceful manner.
She will be forgotten after her 15 minutes of odious notoriety. Reid, it seems will continue on in his.
dc

eddie
captain of 1,000

Post by eddie »

David13 wrote:
Elizabeth wrote:http://www.sltrib.com/lifestyle/faith/4 ... praises-of

Reid is a disgrace to the Church, to the country and to himself, above and beyond the singer who resigned in such a disgraceful manner.
She will be forgotten after her 15 minutes of odious notoriety. Reid, it seems will continue on in his.
dc
Reid is creepy, thats my definition.

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »