The "One Mighty and Strong" D&C 85:7

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
dafty
captain of 100

Re: The "One Mighty and Strong" D&C 85:7

Post by dafty »

simpleton wrote:Opinion...... Robin Hood , read Avraham Gileadi , the book of Isaiah , I think he is on to something... I also think that the OM&S referred to in the 85 d&c is the same individual as the "Davidical King", "Arm of the Lord" "Branch" "Man like Moses" "Son of Man" (not the Son of God) and various other names and types and shadows used throughout the scriptures... but back to your original question , who He is I do not know, but as to if He has come yet and did His work, I absolutely do not think so ... I believe it is yet to transpire ... and the direct main meaning of "a marvelous work and a wonder" is what this Servant does in these last days...
I reckon robin's well aware of gileadi's work. u dont go posting on lds forum and remain oblivious to those teachings x ...speaking of Gileadi-listen again to his Isaiah 48 interpretation. How he makes conscious note of Jehovah telling the servant that he(the servant) has been around for a while(as per isaiah48:13-It was my hand that founded the earth,
my right hand that stretched out the heavens), having even taken part in the creation! so yeah, i still bet on Michael to be this particular servant(called Israel in ths chapter). i do however, believe that there are at least couple(7?) servants we are reading about in Isaiah, which theory, even Gileadi seems to be open to these days x

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

dafty wrote:there are at least couple(7?) servants we are reading about in Isaiah, which theory, even Gileadi seems to be open to these days
This is a sidetrack to this thread, but I'm just curios: can you give a refenrence to anything from Gileadi, where I could read more about this idea?

dafty
captain of 100

Post by dafty »

inho wrote:
dafty wrote:there are at least couple(7?) servants we are reading about in Isaiah, which theory, even Gileadi seems to be open to these days
This is a sidetrack to this thread, but I'm just curios: can you give a refenrence to anything from Gileadi, where I could read more about this idea?
sorry mate, i cant do it off the top of my head. I have listened to his Isaiah explained analytical commentaries and inone of the chapters he mentions the servant, or more servants . I go back to his commentary quiet often so when I listen to it again and come across it Ill let u know.sorry x All i can say now is, Gileadi works very closely with Brinkerhoff, who obviously, awaits at least 2 servants(John the beloved and Joseph as per Lehi's patriarchal blessing). Gileadi, In on of his firesides(Sunday Fireside - Avraham Gileadi Panel Discussion - May 17, 2015: @1h:08;55s roughly) names a male child born to woman revelation 12 a servant that prepares the way for second coming. Obviously, that servant-branch, springs out of the ROD of Jesse. According to Joseph Smith ROD is a servant as well, and so is the ROOT. So, there are at least 3 servants now...Idea of 7 servants comes from Book of Revelation 2&3, and Gileadi closely associates Book of Revelation with Ezekiel and Isaiah(I would myself add also Jeremiah 30) as in the aformentioned fireside interview. cheers x

dafty
captain of 100

Post by dafty »

inho wrote:
Although it is not the reference I have mentioned(the one where Gileadi says "servant or more servants"), I was studying a bit today, and ended up listening to gileadis Isaiah 11 commentary. At around 12:20 he says "they all are messianic personalities" speaking regarding shoot, stock and branch(or rod, stem, branch as per D&C 113).So here alone he acknowledges existence of at least 2 different servants(I say 2 because we know that STEM is our Saviour)...Just saying, its probably irrelevant to your studies, but thought I;ll mention it.x
ps. also his commentary to Isaiah 66:2- where he states that hand is the servant and by implication also servants
Last edited by dafty on December 17th, 2016, 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cayenne
captain of 100

Post by cayenne »

simpleton wrote:Opinion...... Robin Hood , read Avraham Gileadi , the book of Isaiah , I think he is on to something... I also think that the OM&S referred to in the 85 d&c is the same individual as the "Davidical King", "Arm of the Lord" "Branch" "Man like Moses" "Son of Man" (not the Son of God) and various other names and types and shadows used throughout the scriptures... but back to your original question , who He is I do not know, but as to if He has come yet and did His work, I absolutely do not think so ... I believe it is yet to transpire ... and the direct main meaning of "a marvelous work and a wonder" is what this Servant does in these last days...
I completely agree with your statement.

dafty
captain of 100

Post by dafty »

inho wrote: December 16th, 2016, 3:59 am
Hi, its only been couple of months lol =))
If you are still interested one of the references can be found in his Apocaliptic Commentary for Isaiah11. I just found it again and posted it elswhere but thought you may wanna see it as well, so there it goes- In Gileadi's own words:"The identity of the shoot, stock, and branch appears from clues in Isaiah’s olive tree allegory. The words “of Jesse” (vv 1, 10) yield a Davidic and messianic identity for all three individuals. The sprig that is grafted into the shoot—which becomes the fruit-bearing branch—is Jehovah’s end-time servant who represents Israel’s ethnic lineages (vv 10-12; Isaiah 4:2). The shoot into which the sprig is grafted—that does not, in the end, bear fruit—is a servant of Jehovah who represents Israel’s assimilated lineages. The stock is Jehovah, who represents his people Israel as a whole (cf. Isaiah 53:2)."(IsaiahExplained, Apocalyptic Commentary)
thanx

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Doctrine and Covenants 85:7
7 And it shall come to pass that I, the Lord God, will send one mighty and strong, holding the scepter of power in his hand, clothed with light for a covering, whose mouth shall utter words, eternal words; while his bowels shall be a fountain of truth, to set in order the house of God, and to arrange by lot the inheritances of the saints whose names are found, and the names of their fathers, and of their children, enrolled in the book of the law of God;

I think there is a correlation between the above scripture and the following.

Doctrine and Covenants 133
45 For since the beginning of the world have not men heard nor perceived by the ear, neither hath any eye seen, O God, besides thee, how great things thou hast prepared for him that waiteth for thee.

46 And it shall be said: Who is this that cometh down from God in heaven with dyed garments; yea, from the regions which are not known, clothed in his glorious apparel, traveling in the greatness of his strength?

47 And he shall say: I am he who spake in righteousness, mighty to save.

48 And the Lord shall be red in his apparel, and his garments like him that treadeth in the wine-vat.

49 And so great shall be the glory of his presence that the sun shall hide his face in shame, and the moon shall withhold its light, and the stars shall be hurled from their places.

50 And his voice shall be heard: I have trodden the wine-press alone, and have brought judgment upon all people; and none were with me;

51 And I have trampled them in my fury, and I did tread upon them in mine anger, and their blood have I sprinkled upon my garments, and stained all my raiment; for this was the day of vengeance which was in my heart.

52 And now the year of my redeemed is come; and they shall mention the loving kindness of their Lord, and all that he has bestowed upon them according to his goodness, and according to his loving kindness, forever and ever.

53 In all their afflictions he was afflicted. And the angel of his presence saved them; and in his love, and in his pity, he redeemed them, and bore them, and carried them all the days of old;

54 Yea, and Enoch also, and they who were with him; the prophets who were before him; and Noah also, and they who were before him; and Moses also, and they who were before him;

55 And from Moses to Elijah, and from Elijah to John, who were with Christ in his resurrection, and the holy apostles, with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, shall be in the presence of the Lamb.

56 And the graves of the saints shall be opened; and they shall come forth and stand on the right hand of the Lamb, when he shall stand upon Mount Zion, and upon the holy city, the New Jerusalem; and they shall sing the song of the Lamb, day and night forever and ever.

57 And for this cause, that men might be made partakers of the glories which were to be revealed, the Lord sent forth the fulness of his gospel, his everlasting covenant, reasoning in plainness and simplicity— inheritances?

58 To prepare the weak for those things which are coming on the earth, and for the Lord’s errand in the day when the weak shall confound the wise, and the little one become a strong nation, and two shall put their tens of thousands to flight.

59 And by the weak things of the earth the Lord shall thresh the nations by the power of his Spirit. Strong?

60 And for this cause these commandments were given; they were commanded to be kept from the world in the day that they were given, but now are to go forth unto all flesh—

61 And this according to the mind and will of the Lord, who ruleth over all flesh.

62 And unto him that repenteth and sanctifieth himself before the Lord shall be given eternal life.

63 And upon them that hearken not to the voice of the Lord shall be fulfilled that which was written by the prophet Moses, that they should be cut off from among the people.

In summary, I think Jesus Christ is the mighty and strong one.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Purebred British Cat

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

D&C 85:6 Yea, thus saith the still small voice, which whispereth through and pierceth all things, and often times it maketh my bones to quake while it maketh manifest, saying:
7 And it shall come to pass that I, the Lord God, will send one mighty and strong, holding the scepter of power in his hand, clothed with light for a covering, whose mouth shall utter words, eternal words; while his bowels shall be a fountain of truth, to set in order the house of God, and to arrange by lot the inheritances of the saints whose names are found, and the names of their fathers, and of their children, enrolled in the book of the law of God;
8 While that man, who was called of God and appointed, that putteth forth his hand to steady the ark of God, shall fall by the shaft of death, like as a tree that is smitten by the vivid shaft of lightning.
I have been studying this piece of this prophecy - does anyone have any thoughts or feelings on what "clothed with light for a covering" means?

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

alaris wrote: June 16th, 2017, 5:24 pm
D&C 85:6 Yea, thus saith the still small voice, which whispereth through and pierceth all things, and often times it maketh my bones to quake while it maketh manifest, saying:
8 While that man, who was called of God and appointed, that putteth forth his hand to steady the ark of God, shall fall by the shaft of death, like as a tree that is smitten by the vivid shaft of lightning.
I have been studying this piece of this prophecy - does anyone have any thoughts or feelings on what "clothed with light for a covering" means?
Mosiah chapter 13 may provide a clue (type and shadow).

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

marc wrote: June 16th, 2017, 5:52 pm
alaris wrote: June 16th, 2017, 5:24 pm
Mosiah chapter 13 may provide a clue (type and shadow).
Very interesting, thank you! That certainly fits with what I believe about the One Mighty and Strong being one of the two witnesses.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Also consider in that same passage:
...while his bowels shall be a fountain of truth, to set in order the house of God, and to arrange by lot the inheritances of the saints whose names are found...
Questions to consider:

1. Who is being referenced as the "house of God?"
2. Why must it need to be set in order?

Drawing from Mosiah chapter 13, types and shadows may infer:

1. Moses/Pharoah
2. Abinadi/King Noah

If God's "house" must be set in order, what happened? In the past, what (who) served as a type and shadow for what is future (Big clues in the book of Isaiah and the Book of Mormon).

D&C 112:24 Behold, vengeance cometh speedily upon the inhabitants of the earth, a day of wrath, a day of burning, a day of desolation, of weeping, of mourning, and of lamentation; and as a whirlwind it shall come upon all the face of the earth, saith the Lord.

25 And upon my house shall it begin, and from my house shall it go forth, saith the Lord;

26 First among those among you, saith the Lord, who have professed to know my name and have not known me, and have blasphemed against me in the midst of my house, saith the Lord.
Who professes to know the Lord's name but have not "known" Him? How are they blaspheming? Therefore, once vengeance has swept through, leaving the Lord's "house" in desolation along with the rest of the earth, will this be what is meant by the one mighty and strong needing to set in order God's house? Will there be those who oppose him as Pharoah and his magicians opposed Moses or King Noah and his priests opposed Abinadi? Why must he be clothed in light, be filled with truth, and carry a "scepter of power?" The more we understand the histories of the Lord's covenant peoples, the better we might understand the future of the Lord's covenant people. Ancient prophets have given us plenty of clues.

sushi_chef
captain of 1,000

Post by sushi_chef »

"As I walked along over the plains of Illinois, lonely and solitary, I reflected as follows: I am now drawing near to the beloved city; in a day or two I shall be there. How shall I meet the sorrowing widows and orphans? How shall I meet the aged and widowed mother of these two martyrs? How shall I meet an entire community bowed down with grief and sorrow unutterable? What shall I say? or how console and advise twenty-five thousand people who will throng about me in tears, and in the absence of my President and the older members of the now presiding council, will ask counsel at my hands? Shall I tell them to fly to the wilderness and deserts? Or, shall I tell them to stay at home and take care of themselves, and continue to build the Temple? With these reflections and inquiries, I walked onward, weighed down as it were unto death. When I could endure it no longer, I cried out aloud, saying: O Lord! in the name of Jesus Christ I pray Thee, show me what these things mean, and what I shall say to Thy people? On a sudden the Spirit of God came upon me, and filled my heart with joy and gladness indescribable; and while the spirit of revelation glowed in my bosom with as visible a warmth and gladness as if it were fire. The Spirit said unto me: “Lift up your head and rejoice; for behold! it is well with my servants Joseph and Hyrum. My servant Joseph still holds the keys of my kingdom in this dispensation, and he shall stand in due time on the earth, in the flesh, and fulfil that to which he is appointed. Go and say unto my people in Nauvoo, ....

Autobiography of Parley P. Pratt, p. 333
"
:-B

sushi_chef
captain of 1,000

Post by sushi_chef »

"The First Presidency of the Church recognized in 1905 that some believed Joseph Smith was the One Mighty and Strong:

As to the “One Mighty and Strong,” some hold that he has come, others that he is yet to come. Some have held that the Prophet Joseph Smith was the man, and that he would be raised from the dead and appear among the Saints to fulfill the terms of this prophecy. (Mess. of the F.P. 4:110)

Bishop John H. Koyle, of Dream Mine fame, told me that it was revealed to him that the Prophet Joseph was the One Mighty and Strong who would come to set the house of God in order.
"
http://ogdenkraut.com/?page_id=161

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

It may also help to see where we saints have failed in our duties by reading the preceding verses:
1 It is the duty of the Lord’s clerk, whom he has appointed, to keep a history, and a general church record of all things that transpire in Zion, and of all those who consecrate properties, and receive inheritances legally from the bishop;

2 And also their manner of life, their faith, and works; and also of the apostates who apostatize after receiving their inheritances.

3 It is contrary to the will and commandment of God that those who receive not their inheritance by consecration, agreeable to his law, which he has given, that he may tithe his people, to prepare them against the day of vengeance and burning, should have their names enrolled with the people of God.
The early saints failed to live the law of consecration and needed to be taught the beginning of tithing:
D&C 119:1 Verily, thus saith the Lord, I require all their surplus property to be put into the hands of the bishop of my church in Zion,

2 For the building of mine house, and for the laying of the foundation of Zion and for the priesthood, and for the debts of the Presidency of my Church.

3 And this shall be the beginning of the tithing of my people.

4 And after that, those who have thus been tithed shall pay one-tenth of all their interest annually; and this shall be a standing law unto them forever, for my holy priesthood, saith the Lord.

5 Verily I say unto you, it shall come to pass that all those who gather unto the land of Zion shall be tithed of their surplus properties, and shall observe this law, or they shall not be found worthy to abide among you.

6 And I say unto you, if my people observe not this law, to keep it holy, and by this law sanctify the land of Zion unto me, that my statutes and my judgments may be kept thereon, that it may be most holy, behold, verily I say unto you, it shall not be a land of Zion unto you.
We covenant to obey the law of consecration when we are endowed in the temple, but how many in God's "house" consecrate according to the law God set forth? Is this reason enough for the Lord's vengeance to visit the earth beginning with the His own "house?"

When the apostle Peter began in this endeavor as we read about in Acts 1, what happened to Ananias and Sapphira who gathered and agreed to "have all things common" but held back what they should have consecrated? And if we covenant to do so in the temple, yet nobody is "giving up the ghost" for doing what they did, how efficacious are our covenants? And how efficacious will they be should any of us survive long enough to be gathered when the "one mighty and strong" enters the scene to set God's house in order and "to arrange by lot the inheritances of the saints?"

The Lord told the early saints why He allowed them to be scattered rather than preserve them to continue laying the foundation of Zion:
D&C 101:1 Verily I say unto you, concerning your brethren who have been afflicted, and persecuted, and cast out from the land of their inheritance—

2 I, the Lord, have suffered the affliction to come upon them, wherewith they have been afflicted, in consequence of their transgressions;

3 Yet I will own them, and they shall be mine in that day when I shall come to make up my jewels.

4 Therefore, they must needs be chastened and tried, even as Abraham, who was commanded to offer up his only son.

5 For all those who will not endure chastening, but deny me, cannot be sanctified.

6 Behold, I say unto you, there were jarrings, and contentions, and envyings, and strifes, and lustful and covetous desires among them; therefore by these things they polluted their inheritances.

7 They were slow to hearken unto the voice of the Lord their God; therefore, the Lord their God is slow to hearken unto their prayers, to answer them in the day of their trouble.

8 In the day of their peace they esteemed lightly my counsel; but, in the day of their trouble, of necessity they feel after me...
The Lord then gave a parable to them in the same section as a type and shadow of their failure to establish Zion:
43 And now, I will show unto you a parable, that you may know my will concerning the redemption of Zion.

44 A certain nobleman had a spot of land, very choice; and he said unto his servants: Go ye unto my vineyard, even upon this very choice piece of land, and plant twelve olive trees;

45 And set watchmen round about them, and build a tower, that one may overlook the land round about, to be a watchman upon the tower, that mine olive trees may not be broken down when the enemy shall come to spoil and take upon themselves the fruit of my vineyard.

46 Now, the servants of the nobleman went and did as their lord commanded them, and planted the olive trees, and built a hedge round about, and set watchmen, and began to build a tower.

47 And while they were yet laying the foundation thereof, they began to say among themselves: And what need hath my lord of this tower?

48 And consulted for a long time, saying among themselves: What need hath my lord of this tower, seeing this is a time of peace?

49 Might not this money be given to the exchangers? For there is no need of these things.

50 And while they were at variance one with another they became very slothful, and they hearkened not unto the commandments of their lord.

51 And the enemy came by night, and broke down the hedge; and the servants of the nobleman arose and were affrighted, and fled; and the enemy destroyed their works, and broke down the olive trees.

52 Now, behold, the nobleman, the lord of the vineyard, called upon his servants, and said unto them, Why! what is the cause of this great evil?

53 Ought ye not to have done even as I commanded you, and—after ye had planted the vineyard, and built the hedge round about, and set watchmen upon the walls thereof—built the tower also, and set a watchman upon the tower, and watched for my vineyard, and not have fallen asleep, lest the enemy should come upon you?

54 And behold, the watchman upon the tower would have seen the enemy while he was yet afar off; and then ye could have made ready and kept the enemy from breaking down the hedge thereof, and saved my vineyard from the hands of the destroyer.

55 And the lord of the vineyard said unto one of his servants: Go and gather together the residue of my servants, and take all the strength of mine house, which are my warriors, my young men, and they that are of middle age also among all my servants, who are the strength of mine house, save those only whom I have appointed to tarry;

56 And go ye straightway unto the land of my vineyard, and redeem my vineyard; for it is mine; I have bought it with money.

57 Therefore, get ye straightway unto my land; break down the walls of mine enemies; throw down their tower, and scatter their watchmen.

58 And inasmuch as they gather together against you, avenge me of mine enemies, that by and by I may come with the residue of mine house and possess the land.

59 And the servant said unto his lord: When shall these things be?

60 And he said unto his servant: When I will; go ye straightway, and do all things whatsoever I have commanded you;

61 And this shall be my seal and blessing upon you—a faithful and wise steward in the midst of mine house, a ruler in my kingdom.

62 And his servant went straightway, and did all things whatsoever his lord commanded him; and after many days all things were fulfilled.
Much is yet future.

sushi_chef
captain of 1,000

Post by sushi_chef »

sushi_ guesstimates that day, "a day of wrath, a day of burning, a day of desolation, of weeping, of mourning, and of lamentation" would be after the lost north 10 tribes heavenly body comes to contact the earth and becomes one.

sushi_chef
captain of 1,000

Post by sushi_chef »

"The offering of a covenant is a misunderstood topic. It is the key to understanding why the God of the Old Testament seems so fierce compared to the Jesus of the New Testament. The penalties for breaking the covenant given through Moses were severe and immediate. Modern Christians think this was a relic of the past. They don't read their Bible. In Acts, we see the resumption of stiff penalties for breaking the covenant when a couple is put to death because they hold back their goods when taught that they should have all things in common. The four gospels do not occur during the offering of a covenant. Acts does. The Old Testament does. When the covenant is resumed in our day, penalties will also resume. This is yet another reason why we should take caution in our tendency to wish God would build Zion. The main concern is not actually that you would be denied entrance. The main concern is that you would be given entrance, only to fail to keep God's commandments perfectly, at which time you may likely be killed.

But who is this fellow, and why such stiff penalties for not hearkening to his words (Deut 18:19)? ....
"
http://upwardthought.blogspot.jp/2016/04/

mighty and strong all things in common
https://search.yahoo.co.jp/search?ei=UT ... 0common%22