Trump Channels His Inner Dictator...

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Trump Channels His Inner Dictator...

Post by ajax »

... tweets flag burning should be outlawed, punishable by a forfeiture of U.S. citizenship or a year in jail.

"Nobody should be allowed to burn the American flag - if they do there must be consequences - perhaps loss of citizenship or year in jail!"

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/t ... ing-231920" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The State is a religion that must be bowed down to.

Question, what if I bought the flag and it is my private property?

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Trump Channels His Inner Dictator...

Post by Silver »

Hi Ajax,
I found an article on zerohedge about it. http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-11-2 ... ip-or-jail" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Big Brother doesn't care if it wears an R pin on its lapel or a D pin. I wish the State would just leave me alone.

Lexew1899
captain of 1,000

Post by Lexew1899 »

Twitter is super serious brah, when you Bing Bing Bong Bong it there is no going back.

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

Silver wrote:Hi Ajax,
I found an article on zerohedge about it. http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-11-2 ... ip-or-jail" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Big Brother doesn't care if it wears an R pin on its lapel or a D pin. I wish the State would just leave me alone.
On my way into work, a caller to a local AM station floated the idea of execution.

The host did not agree, but conceded that people who do this are "horrible people".

We live amongst psychopaths. There is nothing worse than sins against the State.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

ajax wrote:

On my way into work, a caller to a local AM station floated the idea of execution.

The host did not agree, but conceded that people who do this are "horrible people".

We live amongst psychopaths. There is nothing worse than sins against the State.
Yeah, nothing says healthy government like $20 trillion in debt, and our president-elect, elitist that he is, is talking about burning Made in China pieces of cloth.

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

Rothbard in 1995:
https://mises.org/library/flag-flap" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keeping our eye on property rights, the entire flag question is resolved easily and instantly. Everyone has the right to buy (or weave) and therefore own a piece of cloth in the shape and design of an American flag (or in any other design) and to do with it what he will: fly it, burn it, defile it, bury it, put it in the closet, wear it, etc. Flag laws are unjustifiable violations of the rights of private property. (Constitutionally, there are many clauses from which private property rights can be derived.)

On the other hand, no one has the right to come up and burn your flag, or someone else's. That should be illegal, not because a flag is being burned, but because the arsonist is burning your property without your permission. He is violating your property rights.

Note the way in which the focus on property rights solves all recondite issues. Perhaps conservatives, who proclaim themselves defenders of property rights, will be moved to reconsider their support of its invasion. On the other hand, perhaps liberals, scorners of property rights, might be moved to consider that cleaving to them may be the only way, in the long run, to insure freedom of speech and press.

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

Perhaps Trump, in considering a replacement for Scalia, ought to consider Scalia's thoughts on the issue:
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_ ... court.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In 1984, Texas imprisoned Gregory Lee Johnson for burning an American flag in protest of the Reagan administration. Johnson appealed his case to the Supreme Court in 1989, challenging Texas’ statute outlawing flag-burning. (A ruling for Johnson would, by extension, strike down flag-protection laws in 47 other states.) According to Johnson, burning an American flag qualified as “expressive conduct” protected by the First Amendment. At oral argument, Dallas County Assistant District Attorney Kathi Alyce Drew defended Texas’ law by insisting that the American flag is “this nation’s cherished property,” and must be protected from individual desecrators. Scalia seemed baffled; “I never thought that the flag I owned is your flag,” he told Drew.

To illustrate the arbitrary nature of Texas’ flag-protection law, Scalia then attempted to divine what other “cherished” symbols the state might protect from desecration. “I was going to ask about the state flower,” Scalia scoffs—and the courtroom erupts into laugher.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

ajax wrote:Perhaps Trump, in considering a replacement for Scalia, ought to consider Scalia's thoughts on the issue:
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_ ... court.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In 1984, Texas imprisoned Gregory Lee Johnson for burning an American flag in protest of the Reagan administration. Johnson appealed his case to the Supreme Court in 1989, challenging Texas’ statute outlawing flag-burning. (A ruling for Johnson would, by extension, strike down flag-protection laws in 47 other states.) According to Johnson, burning an American flag qualified as “expressive conduct” protected by the First Amendment. At oral argument, Dallas County Assistant District Attorney Kathi Alyce Drew defended Texas’ law by insisting that the American flag is “this nation’s cherished property,” and must be protected from individual desecrators. Scalia seemed baffled; “I never thought that the flag I owned is your flag,” he told Drew.

To illustrate the arbitrary nature of Texas’ flag-protection law, Scalia then attempted to divine what other “cherished” symbols the state might protect from desecration. “I was going to ask about the state flower,” Scalia scoffs—and the courtroom erupts into laugher.
Now I understand why Scalia died while he was in Texas. He insulted the bluebonnet, dang his hide.

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

Yeah, this person of President elect-status knows as much about liberty as I know about the Heisenberg uncertainty principle's effects on Quantum Tunneling or if the experiments at the SuperKamiokande researchers have actually proved that neutrinos are indeed have non-zero mass thereby rendering a composite photon impossible.

:eta:

Apologies, I called Trump a name, and while I believe it to be applicable, it's not appropriate for board standards. Besides, I offended an animal when I compared Trump to it.
Last edited by skmo on November 29th, 2016, 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

skmo wrote:Yeah, this horse-faced buffoon knows as much about liberty as I know about the Heisenberg uncertainty principle's effects on Quantum Tunneling or if the experiments at the SuperKamiokande researchers have actually proved that neutrinos are indeed have non-zero mass thereby rendering a composite photon impossible.
Sadly, most people fall under the shadow of not knowing much about liberty. Even back in the day, Patrick Henry lamented the push for consolidated power (in the Consitution):

"If we admit this consolidated government, it will be because we like a great and mighty empire; we must have an army, and a navy, and a number of things. When the American spirit was in it's youth, the language of America was different: liberty, sir, was then the primary object."

And he said this in 1788!

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

Remember when the lefties were losing their collective crap over the Koran-burning Florida pastor? Even Obama and the SecDef got involved in that one. They were blaming him for deaths in Afghanistan, and the local po-po even arrested him before he could carry it out. Now the shoe is back on the other foot. Our political system is really nothing but a big fight over the controls of the all-powerful State now.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/ ... an-burning" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

https://www.libertarianinstitute.org/bl ... g-burning/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“It is the right of everyone to express their opinion, choose a profession and practice it, to dispose of property, and even to abuse it; to come and go without permission, and without having to account for their motives or undertakings. [Emphasis added.]”

—Benjamin Constant

So shouldn’t the first question be: whose flag is it?

Tetraman
captain of 100

Post by Tetraman »

Is Trump serious or is he trolling?
A Google search on "flag burning" reveals that criminalizing the act is not a new idea and even Hillary Clinton has even pushed for it in the past.

You have to watch what Trump DOES not what he SAYS to find out where he really stands. Trump loves to say things just to get a rise out of people, or maybe it's his way to get people to look at what's really going on. This is one of his weapons to make the media cross themselves and look stupid. For good or evil, he does it well.

eddie
captain of 1,000

Post by eddie »

The flag represents we the people, freedom and sacrifice. I bet none of you posting here has ever served this country in anyway. So many people have died for our freedoms. This is the best country in the world to live in, if your leaders and your country enough to burn the flag, why live here? It takes brave men to stand up for what's right, instead of griping about everything.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

Tetraman wrote:Is Trump serious or is he trolling?
A Google search on "flag burning" reveals that criminalizing the act is not a new idea and even Hillary Clinton has even pushed for it in the past.

You have to watch what Trump DOES not what he SAYS to find out where he really stands. Trump loves to say things just to get a rise out of people, or maybe it's his way to get people to look at what's really going on. This is one of his weapons to make the media cross themselves and look stupid. For good or evil, he does it well.
I've heard others say Trump was making a jab at Hillary when he said those things. Very possibly so. Either way, it's given us a good opportunity to speak of property rights and liberty.

GradyKeyser
captain of 100

Post by GradyKeyser »

Flag burning may be disrespectful or even wrong and unpatriotic but for Trump to suggest that it should be punishable by prison only shows his absolute tyrannical and totalitarian command to be a tyrant for the state. By their fruits ye shall know them.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

GradyKeyser wrote:Flag burning may be disrespectful or even wrong and unpatriotic but for Trump to suggest that it should be punishable by prison only shows his absolute tyrannical and totalitarian command to be a tyrant for the state. By their fruits ye shall know them.
So... do you feel the same way about Hillary Clinton? After all, she cosponsored the Flag Protection Act of 2005 with Bob Bennett (R-UT). That bill would have provided for up to two years in prison and a $250,000 fine for burning, destroying, or damaging a US flag.
Did you feel Clinton was showing her absolute tyrannical and totalitarian command by helping Bennett introduce that bill?

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

brianj wrote:
GradyKeyser wrote:Flag burning may be disrespectful or even wrong and unpatriotic but for Trump to suggest that it should be punishable by prison only shows his absolute tyrannical and totalitarian command to be a tyrant for the state. By their fruits ye shall know them.
So... do you feel the same way about Hillary Clinton? After all, she cosponsored the Flag Protection Act of 2005 with Bob Bennett (R-UT). That bill would have provided for up to two years in prison and a $250,000 fine for burning, destroying, or damaging a US flag.
Did you feel Clinton was showing her absolute tyrannical and totalitarian command by helping Bennett introduce that bill?
I certainly do. Of course, she had already done much worse than sponsoring a bill like that prior to being in the Senate for the sad State of NY.

eddie
captain of 1,000

Post by eddie »

Silver wrote:
brianj wrote:
I certainly do. Of course, she had already done much worse than sponsoring a bill like that prior to being in the Senate for the sad State of NY.
Who would you like to have seen elected Silver?

eddie
captain of 1,000

Post by eddie »

ajax wrote:

If you kill someone in Texas, Texas will kill you right back.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

eddie wrote:
Silver wrote:
brianj wrote:
I voted for Darrell Castle.

eddie
captain of 1,000

Post by eddie »

Silver wrote:
eddie wrote:
Silver wrote:
brianj wrote:
Did you watch President Trumps speech tonight? He has given this country hope, even if for awhile. He said Gen. Mattis as sec of defense, on national tv he told everyone not to say anything because it's not to be announced till Monday. Hahaha. President Trumps cabinet is very conservative.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

eddie wrote:
Silver wrote:
eddie wrote:
Silver wrote:
Did you watch President Trumps speech tonight? He has given this country hope, even if for awhile. He said Gen. Mattis as sec of defense, on national tv he told everyone not to say anything because it's not to be announced till Monday. Hahaha. President Trumps cabinet is very conservative.
Then the definition of the word conservative has changed. The CFR is not conservative. Warmongering is not conservative. $20 trillion in national debt is not conservative, but that is what the people in Trump's cabinet, and others like them, have given us. These are not new people just entering the world of politics or just launching their careers. They've done stuff. They've said stuff. They are known for what they've done and that's why they were selected. Please, please, open your eyes.