Look who is knocking at Trump's door

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Look who is knocking at Trump's door

Post by Fiannan »

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/11/17/polit ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
President-elect Donald Trump will meet this weekend with one of his fiercest critics: 2012 Republican nominee Mitt Romney, a senior Republican source told CNN on Thursday.
The two men are set to meet this weekend to discuss "governing moving forward" and potentially a role for Romney in Trump's Cabinet, the source said.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Look who is knocking at Trump's door

Post by David13 »

The real question is 'who isn't knocking at Trump's door?'
dc

He dumped Christie, it looks like. My question would be what on earth was Christie doing in there in the first place?

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Post by Sirocco »

"Mitt, drop to your knees..."

Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Col. Flagg »

What a farce... Trump backs Mitt in 2012, Mitt trashes Trump for 2016, Trump is elected President and now Mitt wants an in with the guy to satisfy his thirst for political power? Nauseating.

nvr
captain of 1,000

Trump talking to Romney for Sec. of State Pos Re: Look who is knocking at Trump's door

Post by nvr »

Former Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney will meet with Donald Trump this weekend to discuss the secretary of state position, a source close to the president-elect with direct knowledge of his thinking told NBC News.
http://www.cnbc.com/2016/11/17/romney-a ... -says.html

2EstablishZion
captain of 100

Post by 2EstablishZion »

Secretary of State will be a neocon hawk. I'm going out on a limb, there, I know.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Thought about this song in relation to this news.

Mark
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Mark »

2EstablishZion wrote:Secretary of State will be a neocon hawk. I'm going out on a limb, there, I know.

Sounds like Romney would fit in perfectly.. ;)

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Col. Flagg wrote:What a farce... Trump backs Mitt in 2012, Mitt trashes Trump for 2016, Trump is elected President and now Mitt wants an in with the guy to satisfy his thirst for political power? Nauseating.
My wife noted that Trump, just meeting with Romney, proves he is a forgiving and bigger man than Romney.

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

This seriously just makes me want to :ymsick:

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

EmmaLee wrote:This seriously just makes me want to :ymsick:
I will not break my arm by patting myself on the back because in this case it is agonizing to be right.

markharr
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by markharr »

Fiannan wrote:
Thought about this song in relation to this news.
That song makes my skin crawl. Used to listen to NIN when I was young and probably noticed the lyrics I just didn't pay much attention to them. Then one day I started really listening to the lyrics.

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

That would be quite funny if Romney gets a position. How will ya'll deal with it. :)

eddie
captain of 1,000

Post by eddie »

Fiannan wrote:
Col. Flagg wrote:What a farce... Trump backs Mitt in 2012, Mitt trashes Trump for 2016, Trump is elected President and now Mitt wants an in with the guy to satisfy his thirst for political power? Nauseating.
My wife noted that Trump, just meeting with Romney, proves he is a forgiving and bigger man than Romney.
And if Mitt takes the position, he is the fake and phony!

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

eddie wrote:
Fiannan wrote:
And if Mitt takes the position, he is the fake and phony!
Yes, Trump is overweight.

Sunain
captain of 1,000

Post by Sunain »

I think Secretary of State would actually be a good position for Romney. Hillary was Obama's Secretary of State and in a way, the position does more than the Vice President. I watched the interview with Trump on 60 Minutes. He seems open to negotiation, is forgiving but wants to be a strong leader which means having strong supporting government. I think Trump knows that despite their differences during the campaign, having Romney on the team is a good thing.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

Sunain wrote:I think Secretary of State would actually be a good position for Romney. Hillary was Obama's Secretary of State and in a way, the position does more than the Vice President. I watched the interview with Trump on 60 Minutes. He seems open to negotiation, is forgiving but wants to be a strong leader which means having strong supporting government. I think Trump knows that despite their differences during the campaign, having Romney on the team is a good thing.
Only if Mitt can drop his war mongering stance.

Mark
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Mark »

larsenb wrote:
Sunain wrote:I think Secretary of State would actually be a good position for Romney. Hillary was Obama's Secretary of State and in a way, the position does more than the Vice President. I watched the interview with Trump on 60 Minutes. He seems open to negotiation, is forgiving but wants to be a strong leader which means having strong supporting government. I think Trump knows that despite their differences during the campaign, having Romney on the team is a good thing.
Only if Mitt can drop his war mongering stance.

I learned a long time ago that politicians cant be trusted to do what they say that they will do. It is in their DNA. The pressures and influences eventually overcome their altruistic ideals. It is just a sad fact of that arena. It brings out the unrighteous dominion temptations more than just about anything else. The need to maintain power and control just seems to win out everytime. The George Washington and John Adams types seem to be extinct in todays political cesspool.

paulrobots
captain of 100

Post by paulrobots »

Fiannan wrote:
Exactly what my wife said. I think he should make romney an ambassador to Tajikistan.

braingrunt
captain of 1,000

Post by braingrunt »

Unless, Trump accepted the meeting request just so he could rub it in. I'm not totally pessimistic about Trump. I never thought he'd shown himself to be an upstanding guy, and for that reason I was very torn about him getting the Republican nomination. But at some point this scripture kept coming into my head:
Ether 10 wrote:10 And after that he had established himself king he did ease the burden of the people, by which he did gain favor in the eyes of the people, and they did anoint him to be their king.

11 And he did do justice unto the people, but not unto himself because of his many whoredoms; wherefore he was cut off from the presence of the Lord.

12 And it came to pass that Morianton built up many cities, and the people became exceedingly rich under his reign, both in buildings, and in gold and silver, and in raising grain, and in flocks, and herds, and such things which had been restored unto them.
In other words, we have an example of someone, who had not been personally righteous, who had been a good leader. I began to hope that Trump might be that person too.

ebenezerarise
captain of 1,000

Post by ebenezerarise »

Who approached who here? Did Trump call Romney? Did Romney call Trump? Just wondering if that is really known. Everybody here has already decided, apparently. Curious...but not unexpected.

Any of you ever read Team of Rivals? Great read. Lincoln surrounded himself with former adversaries. Not a dumb strategy.

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

Matchmaker
captain of 1,000

Post by Matchmaker »

Fiannan wrote:
And Romney considering a job with Trump after publicly denouncing him shows that he is a humbled man. It looks like there has been positive growth all around. Let's pray Trump is the real deal.

samizdat
captain of 1,000

Post by samizdat »

ebenezerarise wrote:Who approached who here? Did Trump call Romney? Did Romney call Trump? Just wondering if that is really known. Everybody here has already decided, apparently. Curious...but not unexpected.

Any of you ever read Team of Rivals? Great read. Lincoln surrounded himself with former adversaries. Not a dumb strategy.

Any leader worth his salt is going to surround himself with diversity of thought and NOT hire pure yes men.

This is a good move by Trump.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

samizdat wrote:
ebenezerarise wrote:Who approached who here? Did Trump call Romney? Did Romney call Trump? Just wondering if that is really known. Everybody here has already decided, apparently. Curious...but not unexpected.

Any leader worth his salt is going to surround himself with diversity of thought and NOT hire pure yes men.

This is a good move by Trump.
I would not call the inclusion of a war-mongering, flip-flopping, Wall Steet darling in the Trump administration a good move for America.