Edward Snowden

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Edward Snowden

Post by Joel »

The ex-NSA contractor and whistleblower Edward Snowden will deliver a live stream Q&A on StartPage–a Dutch search engine today,November 10 (4:30pm Eastern Time). Snowden will talk about how the recent US elections will affect your privacy and about his pardon. https://www.startpage.com/snowden/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Past statement Trump has made about Snowden:
Last edited by Joel on December 8th, 2016, 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

markharr
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Edward Snowden’s Live Stream About “Donald Trump And Privacy”

Post by markharr »

Snowden is an interesting animal. He broke US law but his intentions were to expose government violation of the constitution.

Snowden has said that if he was certain he would get a fair trial he would return. The best thing to do is to show that he would get a fair trial and to create the conditions for him to return and stand trial. The best thing Trump could do is to appoint an impartial attorney general and provide assurances to Snowden that he will get a fair trial if he returns and ensure that he really will get a fair trial.

I don't think he would have received a fair trial under Obama and Lynch. Trump is an unknown. I hope that he would get a fair trial under Trump. In the case of this election, I chose the unknown over the known.

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

Trump even implied execution of Snowden speaking of spies of the old days

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

'State of Surveillance' with Edward Snowden and Shane Smith

Post by Joel »

I thought this was a good discussion from last summer:
When NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden leaked details of massive government surveillance programs in 2013, he ignited a raging debate over digital privacy and security. That debate came to a head this year, when Apple refused an FBI court order to access the iPhone of alleged San Bernardino Terrorist Syed Farook. Meanwhile, journalists and activists are under increasing attack from foreign agents. To find out the government's real capabilities, and whether any of us can truly protect our sensitive information, VICE founder Shane Smith heads to Moscow to meet the man who started the conversation, Edward Snowden.

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

Startpage wrote:The world’s most famous whistleblower is here to address questions about how the US Election results will affect your privacy and his pardon, as well as other questions submitted via social media.

This feed is broadcast from the Pathé Tuschinski in Amsterdam where Snowden is patched in to our live theater audience via satellite transmission from Moscow.

Edward Snowden became world famous after he handed journalists classified documents detailing the global espionage activities of the United States National Security Agency (NSA). Snowden’s exposure of covert government surveillance put privacy firmly on the map, but also put him at great risk. He was forced to flee the US in 2013 to avoid arrest and currently resides in Russia, where he has been given asylum.

“Edward Snowden’s revelations about government spying and mass data collection are of crucial importance to our society, but he had to sacrifice his free life for it,” said Robert Beens, CEO of StartPage.com. “We are proud to honor his service and help bring his privacy message to the world.”

Special thanks to the Freedom of the Press Foundation and Edward Snowden’s attorney Ben Wizner of the ACLU’s Speech, Privacy, and Technology Project for helping make this historic event possible. We are also grateful to Amnesty International and PardonSnowden.org for sponsoring a petition that asks US President Barack Obama to pardon Edward Snowden before leaving office in January 2017.

Livestream Q&A question suggestions have been submitted using the hashtag #StartPageSnowden. The live event starts at approximately 4:30 PM Eastern time.

Thank you for caring about privacy!

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

This is being a good program.

sushi_chef
captain of 1,000

Post by sushi_chef »

"44 Therefore, let every man stand or fall, by himself, and not for another; or not trusting another.

45 Seek unto my Father, and it shall be done in that very moment what ye shall ask, if ye ask in faith, believing that ye shall receive.

46 And if thine eye which seeth for thee, him that is appointed to watch over thee to show thee light, become a transgressor and offend thee, pluck him out.

47 It is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God, with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire.

48 For it is better that thyself should be saved, than to be cast into hell with thy brother, where their worm dieth not, and where the fire is not quenched.
"
inspired mark 9
:-B

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Edward Snowden LIVE: The Future of The Surveillance State

Post by Joel »

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Edward Snowden

Post by Joel »

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

The US House Intelligence Committee released a report analyzing Edward Snowden’s life and possible motives for revealing NSA surveillance. Former CIA analyst Ray McGovern joins RT America’s Ashlee Banks to discuss.

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

https://www.cnet.com/news/snowden-dispu ... CAD590a51e" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

davedan
captain of 1,000

Post by davedan »

Snowden didn't tell us anything we didn't already know. Especially those of us who listen to Alex Jones or Joel Skousen.

But the real problem I have with Snowden is that his revelations didn't implicate anyone. Furthermore, Snowden doesn't put the whole globalist picture together and tell the world that this is a massive globalist conspiracy like JFK tried to do. Snowden doesn't provide any names of high-level conspirators and evidence of their nefarious goals.

Snowden further doesn't explain the danger of the meta-data gathering. The NSA could create a database where the population is given a score for certain posts or searches or website visits. Visiting inforwars.com or making a post on globalist conspiracy could earn an individual a certain number of points. Then at some certain future date, a legion of automated drones could be released with an order 66 to target US citizens (smart phone SIM cards) with a score above a certain number.

NSA doesn't need to save all our online conversations and activity. All the surveillance needs to do is to tell if we are awake to, and oppose the globalist conspiracy and then keep score and make a list of potential malcontents.

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

After his revelatory disclosures four years ago, it was believed that former NSA contractor Edward Snowden went into hiding for 11 days in Hong Kong. Conspiracy theorists imagined 11 days of intrigue and mischief, but new evidence dispels these notions and gives an account of his whereabouts during that time.

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Edward Snowden On Trump, Privacy, And Threats To Democracy

Post by Joel »

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

The best thing to do is to show that he would get a fair trial and to create the conditions for him to return and stand trial.
How could that be done? We must remember that Edward Snowden, if he were to return the the USA, would become extremely suicidal. And no matter what precautions were set in place, there is no way to stop him from hanging himself in his jail cell.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

Y'all should read his book, Permanent Record. It's like holding up a mirror to America.

gigarath24
captain of 100

Post by gigarath24 »

iWriteStuff wrote: October 5th, 2019, 6:05 am Y'all should read his book, Permanent Record. It's like holding up a mirror to America.
I just got done reading it. It should be required reading in schools. It's much better than The Great Gatsby, The Scarlet Letter, and half of the other classics that in my opinion aren't even that good.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Edward Snowden On Trump, Privacy, And Threats To Democracy

Post by larsenb »

Joel wrote: October 5th, 2019, 1:58 am Snowden interview
Excellent interview; leaves me once again highly impressed with him. He understands the importance of jury nullification, for instance. He abhors the 'Chinese social credit' system, and the dangers of it being more widely implemented. He tagged an Israeli company selling high-level hacking tools to governments and companies. Very articulate, intelligent and aware individual, along w/being gutsy.

The only real misstep I detected was his brief misreading/mischaracterization of Trump. But w/Trump's attitude, tough to blame him.

I still may have to buy his book . . .

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

Craig Johnson
captain of 1,000

Post by Craig Johnson »

I wonder what would have happened if Snowden had anonymously delivered his purloined classified document copies to a legitimate newshub such as something online or an actual journalistic entity? Hard to say - not that it matters. One thing would not have happened, he would not have become famous. His only accomplishment, no matter how anybody plays it is that he is now famous, that is all. Oh, and he is also a traitor.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

Craig Johnson wrote: October 23rd, 2019, 8:24 pm , , , , , , His only accomplishment, no matter how anybody plays it is that he is now famous, that is all. Oh, and he is also a traitor.
Hardly. Thanks to Snowden, most people are now aware of the illegal/unConstitutional collection of personal data/meta data by government on almost everybody. Its a 4th amendment issue and a radical abuse of power that has the potential of being misused seven ways for Sunday, including the social credit score system the elites would be delighted to put in place.

nvr
captain of 1,000

Post by nvr »

I appreciate what he did, though I get worried when I hear him talking about liking Bernie and how he is concerned about climate change. He can't be an expert in all areas, I suppose.
I wonder if he is privy to 9/11 operation details? Hillary knew enough to keep her communications off of gov't computers. It would be hard to believe info on a program like that would be trusted on official (albeit secret) government servers.