What's your favorite modern prophecy or revelation

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Obrien
Up, up and away.

What's your favorite modern prophecy or revelation

Post by Obrien »

In honor of GC week, what's your favorite modern (let's say after 1978 to avoid getting derailed on the priesthood ban) prophecy or revelation?

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: What's your favorite modern prophecy or revelation

Post by ajax »

The earring one. I can't find my copy of the revelation. I may have lost it. But it felt sooo right.

It's a grand key for men to determine which women are of God, and which ones are not.

cyclOps
captain of 1,000

Post by cyclOps »

Oh, this is going to be another one of "those" threads. It seemed so promising.

bbsion
captain of 100

Post by bbsion »

Obrien wrote:In honor of GC week, what's your favorite modern (let's say after 1978 to avoid getting derailed on the priesthood ban) prophecy or revelation?
That eliminated a lot of what I was thinking... Now I'll have to think some more.

zionminded
captain of 1,000

Post by zionminded »

City creek shopping mall?

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

The hotbed of HGites.

Maybe you could start thread blasting like the preppers do. What have you predicted for Oct/Nov/Dec?

Here is one from April 2016 conference.
Well, brethren, in like manner, I fear that there are too many men who have been given the authority of the priesthood but who lack priesthood power because the flow of power has been blocked by sins such as laziness, dishonesty, pride, immorality, or preoccupation with things of the world.

I urgently plead with each one of us to live up to our privileges as bearers of the priesthood. In a coming day, only those men who have taken their priesthood seriously, by diligently seeking to be taught by the Lord Himself, will be able to bless, guide, protect, strengthen, and heal others. Only a man who has paid the price for priesthood power will be able to bring miracles to those he loves and keep his marriage and family safe, now and throughout eternity.
Not only for now, also for eternity.

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

LDScop wrote:Oh, this is going to be another one of "those" threads. It seemed so promising.
Not sure what the problem is.

Gordon B:
"The First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve have declared that we discourage tattoos and also “the piercing of the body for other than medical purposes.” We do not, however, take any position “on the minimal piercing of the ears by women for one pair of earrings”—one pair."

LatterDayLizard
captain of 100

Post by LatterDayLizard »

Easy: The Family, A Proclamation to the World.

It specifically outlines what God's definition of family is, what our roles are within the family, and that calamities will fall on us if we don't protect our families, both individually and as a society.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Wo, Wo unto Manchester United. The Premier League shall become desolate unto them. Yea, a devastating scourge shall befall them and they shall be thrust down to another league and be brought low, where there shall be much weeping and gnashing of teeth.
And the chosen people of the sceptered Isle shall be heard to shout for joy, yea they shall sing praises of thanksgiving unto the mighty and strong ones who hath delivered them from such abomination.

(NDE by Robin Hood, 29th September 2016. Book to be published shortly.)

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

LatterDayLizard wrote:Easy: The Family, A Proclamation to the World.

It specifically outlines what God's definition of family is, what our roles are within the family, and that calamities will fall on us if we don't protect our families, both individually and as a society.
When Packer described it as a revelation in a GC talk, the revised version of his talk, printed in the Ensign, claimed that it is a "guide." If it's truly a revelation, why was an Apostle's talk edited to downgrade it to a "guide?"

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

zionminded wrote:City creek shopping mall?
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=19428181" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Every time I come over here, I think about the vision President (Gordon B.) Hinckley had for this endeavor," [Bishop] Burton told KSL News in a recent interview. "We're well on our way to see a revitalization of the environs of the Salt Lake Temple and downtown Salt Lake."

"I could shed a tear very easily," he said. "This revitalization is a re-energizing of htat great pioneer spirit that permeates this community and permeates this valley."
I have yet to receive the copy of the vision to see if perhaps my tears will flow. Perhaps in a future updated D&C.

LatterDayLizard
captain of 100

Lizzy60 wrote:

When Packer described it as a revelation in a GC talk, the revised version of his talk, printed in the Ensign, claimed that it is a "guide." If it's truly a revelation, why was an Apostle's talk edited to downgrade it to a "guide?"
I don't know. Perhaps that was done so as to clarify that this doctrine is not and should not be new to members of the church, whose target audience the Ensign is, even if it IS a new revelation to the rest of the world.

But here's what I do know for certain:

"And whatsoever they shall speak when moved upon by the Holy Ghost shall be scripture, shall be the will of the Lord, shall be the mind of the Lord, shall be the word of the Lord, shall be the voice of the Lord, and the power of God unto salvation." (D&C 68:4)

In other words, it shall be revelation because it is REVEALED by God to man.

Elder W. Eugene Hansen:
"....I leave you my witness that the proclamation on the family, which I referred to earlier, is modern-day revelation provided to us by the Lord through His latter-day prophets." (Ensign 2008)

captainfearnot
captain of 1,000

Post by captainfearnot »

Lizzy60 wrote:

I'm guessing it has something to do with the fact that past official proclamations are no longer considered revelations or official doctrines.

Can anyone recall the official proclamations of 1841, 1845, 1865, and 1980? They have gone the way of the Journal of Discourses—still freely available to anyone interested, but not exactly emphasized as current doctrine.

Seems reasonable that the latest official proclamation will eventually join its brethren in obscurity. Maybe the Ensign editors, realizing this, aren't eager to publish too many conference talks equating it with scripture.

LatterDayLizard
captain of 100

captainfearnot wrote:
Lizzy60 wrote:

I'm guessing it has something to do with the fact that past official proclamations are no longer considered revelations or official doctrines.

Can anyone recall the official proclamations of 1841, 1845, 1865, and 1980? They have gone the way of the Journal of Discourses—still freely available to anyone interested, but not exactly emphasized as current doctrine.

Seems reasonable that the latest official proclamation will eventually join its brethren in obscurity. Maybe the Ensign editors, realizing this, aren't eager to publish too many conference talks equating it with scripture.
I went back and read three of those proclamations. Doctrinally they are still just as relevant today, although the first three specifically addressed issues for their time.

These proclamations were not casual statements made in haste or private letters to a friend. They were written by apostles and prophets of God, called and ordained by Christ to lead His church.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

LDScop wrote:Oh, this is going to be another one of "those" threads. It seemed so promising.
I suppose it is what you make of it. I was honestly listening to an old podcast this morning (instead of sleeping, if you'll note by the OP time) and this question came up in the discussion. It got me to thinking, so I thought I would ask the LDSFF family for their opinion.

I was a little surprised when I checked in around3 hours later, there were 22 views and zero responses...
Thank heaven for ajax.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

rewcox wrote:The hotbed of HGites.

Maybe you could start thread blasting like the preppers do. What have you predicted for Oct/Nov/Dec?

Well, brethren, in like manner, I fear that there are too many men who have been given the authority of the priesthood but who lack priesthood power because the flow of power has been blocked by sins such as laziness, dishonesty, pride, immorality, or preoccupation with things of the world.

I urgently plead with each one of us to live up to our privileges as bearers of the priesthood. In a coming day, only those men who have taken their priesthood seriously, by diligently seeking to be taught by the Lord Himself, will be able to bless, guide, protect, strengthen, and heal others. Only a man who has paid the price for priesthood power will be able to bring miracles to those he loves and keep his marriage and family safe, now and throughout eternity.
Rewcox - I don't know if this qualifies in my mind as a prophecy. It sounds like common sense - live a Godly life and enjoy the fruits of Godly blessings.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

Again, the Proclamation is a fairly clear articulation of the modern LDS perception of what a family should be, it mostly just plain common sense. It probably varies in several key points from what BY would have written as a Family Proclamation.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

LatterDayLizard wrote:
Lizzy60 wrote:

I don't know. Perhaps that was done so as to clarify that this doctrine is not and should not be new to members of the church, whose target audience the Ensign is, even if it IS a new revelation to the rest of the world.

But here's what I do know for certain:

"And whatsoever they shall speak when moved upon by the Holy Ghost shall be scripture, shall be the will of the Lord, shall be the mind of the Lord, shall be the word of the Lord, shall be the voice of the Lord, and the power of God unto salvation." (D&C 68:4)

In other words, it shall be revelation because it is REVEALED by God to man.

Elder W. Eugene Hansen:
"....I leave you my witness that the proclamation on the family, which I referred to earlier, is modern-day revelation provided to us by the Lord through His latter-day prophets." (Ensign 2008)
Technically, Bro Hansen is not a PSR (just a 70). Although the topic may be more serious, his testifying of the Proclamation is similar to the Toyota salesman telling me how great Toyota trucks are...
I would be interested in how he arrived at the witness he is bearing. That seems germane to his statement.

captainfearnot
captain of 1,000

Post by captainfearnot »

LatterDayLizard wrote: I went back and read three of those proclamations. Doctrinally they are still just as relevant today, although the first three specifically addressed issues for their time.

These proclamations were not casual statements made in haste or private letters to a friend. They were written by apostles and prophets of God, called and ordained by Christ to lead His church.
All of which could also be said about the JOD. But if an apostle stood up in conference and proclaimed the JOD to be modern revelation, I wouldn't be surprised if the talk was later edited.

Here's another thought. Maybe they are thinking of a strict version of "revelation" under which official proclamations do not qualify.

In the 1903 Reed Smoot hearings, Joseph F. Smith testified before Congress that he had never received a revelation as prophet, and that the last revelation he was aware of was received by Wilford Woodruff some 21 years earlier. Further questioning revealed that by "revelation" he was referring to what most of us would equate with a new section in the D&C. Basically new canonized scripture, ratified in general conference by common consent.

By that standard the official proclamations do not count as "revelations." Maybe the editors at the Ensign just wanted to make it clear that the Family Proclamation wasn't on the same level as scripture. You know, kind of like the JOD. Or conference talks themselves.

LatterDayLizard
captain of 100

Obrien wrote:

Again, the Proclamation is a fairly clear articulation of the modern LDS perception of what a family should be, it mostly just plain common sense. It probably varies in several key points from what BY would have written as a Family Proclamation.
Brigham would probably learn something from today's Proclamation, I agree. As a people (including leaders) we learn as we go, line upon line, thanks to revelation.

The final warning stands out to me as being the most poignant part:

"We warn that individuals who violate covenants of chastity, who abuse spouse or offspring, or who fail to fulfill family responsibilities will one day stand accountable before God. Further, we warn that the disintegration of the family will bring upon individuals, communities, and nations the calamities foretold by ancient and modern prophets."

I guess you could argue that they aren't revealing anything new, just quoting revelation from former prophets here. But then, what prophet hasn't quoted Isaiah? It just emphasizes how important the revealed doctrine on the family really is.

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

Obrien wrote:
rewcox wrote:The hotbed of HGites.

Rewcox - I don't know if this qualifies in my mind as a prophecy. It sounds like common sense - live a Godly life and enjoy the fruits of Godly blessings.
This thread doesn't qualify either, just the standard annual "there is no prophecy" thread. Actually, there is a lot of revelation going on, but if ears don't hear and eyes don't see, it seems like a drought.

Far more important than a major prophet prophecy is individual prophecy and inspiration. That's what will take you to Christ.

If you like dramatic stuff, use Kirtland's the Market is Going to Crash in October.

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

I would have to say anything about the Cougars winning the National Championship and/or LaVell Edwards being made KBE Knight Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire, henceforth making him Sir LaVell.

That or Cosmo being given the American Medal of Freedom. I was thinking about a Nobel Peace Prize, but they're not really worth anything these days.

zionminded
captain of 1,000

Post by zionminded »

Obrien wrote:

I don't think the Proclamation is a revelation or prophecy. Rather it is a moral statement from a conservative church. Just my 2 cents.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

The more faithful members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints believe that the President of the Church, his counselors, and the Council of the Twelve Apostles have a right to the revelations of the Lord as to the conduct of the Church and the members thereof; that the Lord actually speaks through them as the result of the revelations which He gives them; and that therefore the members are under obligation, when the President of the Church speaks, to follow his advice and counsel. Consequently, when the President of the Church speaks, members of the Church should accept his words as divinely inspired and seek to guide their lives accordingly.

I wonder if many members believe there is a statute of limitations on advice and counsel that is neither repeated nor repealed after a certain number of years.

zionminded
captain of 1,000

Post by zionminded »

lundbaek wrote:The more faithful members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints believe that the President of the Church, his counselors, and the Council of the Twelve Apostles have a right to the revelations of the Lord as to the conduct of the Church and the members thereof; that the Lord actually speaks through them as the result of the revelations which He gives them; and that therefore the members are under obligation, when the President of the Church speaks, to follow his advice and counsel. Consequently, when the President of the Church speaks, members of the Church should accept his words as divinely inspired and seek to guide their lives accordingly.

I wonder if many members believe there is a statute of limitations on advice and counsel that is neither repeated nor repealed after a certain number of years.
When living prophets can toss older ones under the bus as having taught false theories or doctrines, yes there is a statute of limitations. Good thing we have Christ to rely on. I feel sorry for those who's lamps are empty and they don't know Him, and trust in the arm or flesh only.