What's your favorite modern prophecy or revelation

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Re: What's your favorite modern prophecy or revelation

Post by Rose Garden »

Obrien wrote:
Meili wrote:My favorite prophesies and revelations are the ones I get myself. Nothing beats that.
Feel free to share, jezebel.
Hell no. I don't feel like getting skewered today. Go get your own revelation.

Mark
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Mark »

Obrien wrote:
freedomforall wrote:To all those who think there is no revelation.

Mormon 9:7
7 And again I speak unto you who deny the revelations of God, and say that they are done away, that there are no revelations, nor prophecies, nor gifts, nor healing, nor speaking with tongues, and the interpretation of tongues;

3 Nephi 29:6
6 Yea, wo unto him that shall deny the revelations of the Lord, and that shall say the Lord no longer worketh by revelation, or by prophecy, or by gifts, or by tongues, or by healings, or by the power of the Holy Ghost!

Morm. 9:7 (7–11, 15)
7 And again I speak unto you who deny the revelations of God, and say that they are done away, that there are no revelations, nor prophecies, nor gifts, nor healing, nor speaking with tongues, and the interpretation of tongues;
8 Behold I say unto you, he that denieth these things knoweth not the gospel of Christ; yea, he has not read the scriptures; if so, he does not understand them.
9 For do we not read that God is the same yesterday, today, and forever, and in him there is no variableness neither shadow of changing?
10 And now, if ye have imagined up unto yourselves a god who doth vary, and in whom there is shadow of changing, then have ye imagined up unto yourselves a god who is not a God of miracles.
11 But behold, I will show unto you a God of miracles, even the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob; and it is that same God who created the heavens and the earth, and all things that in them are.

15 And now, O all ye that have imagined up unto yourselves a god who can do no miracles, I would ask of you, have all these things passed, of which I have spoken? Has the end come yet? Behold I say unto you, Nay; and God has not ceased to be a God of miracles.
I believe in prophecy and revelation and miracles - I just don't see the those things happening in coJColds. :(

You don't? Where do you see it happening? Break off movements? Do you think Gods Prophets are liars and deceivers? They testified over and over again in this conference that Jesus Christ continues to lead and guide his church and will not forsake it. He is at its helm. Have you lost your faith in his word? He promised at the time of the restoration to continue directing the affairs of his kingdom in this final dispensational period. That promise stands to this day. Why are you letting doubts and faithlessness enter in and overcome you? Stand true and remember that his glorious promises will not be broken. His church will stand until his glorious second coming. His Prophets will not be overcome. They are His witnesses and hold His Priesthood. Be of good cheer and seek joy as Pres. Monson and Pres. Nelson requested.

sushi_chef
captain of 1,000

Post by sushi_chef »

ah hah, thats good one,

"My favorite prophesies and revelations are the ones I get myself. Nothing beats that."

:-B

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Mark wrote:
Obrien wrote:
freedomforall wrote:To all those who think there is no revelation.

Mormon 9:7

3 Nephi 29:6
6 Yea, wo unto him that shall deny the revelations of the Lord, and that shall say the Lord no longer worketh by revelation, or by prophecy, or by gifts, or by tongues, or by healings, or by the power of the Holy Ghost!

Morm. 9:7 (7–11, 15)
8 Behold I say unto you, he that denieth these things knoweth not the gospel of Christ; yea, he has not read the scriptures; if so, he does not understand them.
9 For do we not read that God is the same yesterday, today, and forever, and in him there is no variableness neither shadow of changing?
10 And now, if ye have imagined up unto yourselves a god who doth vary, and in whom there is shadow of changing, then have ye imagined up unto yourselves a god who is not a God of miracles.
11 But behold, I will show unto you a God of miracles, even the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob; and it is that same God who created the heavens and the earth, and all things that in them are.

15 And now, O all ye that have imagined up unto yourselves a god who can do no miracles, I would ask of you, have all these things passed, of which I have spoken? Has the end come yet? Behold I say unto you, Nay; and God has not ceased to be a God of miracles.
I believe in prophecy and revelation and miracles - I just don't see the those things happening in coJColds. :(

You don't? Where do you see it happening? Break off movements? Do you think Gods Prophets are liars and deceivers? They testified over and over again in this conference that Jesus Christ continues to lead and guide his church and will not forsake it. He is at its helm. Have you lost your faith in his word? He promised at the time of the restoration to continue directing the affairs of his kingdom in this final dispensational period. That promise stands to this day. Why are you letting doubts and faithlessness enter in and overcome you? Stand true and remember that his glorious promises will not be broken. His church will stand until his glorious second coming. His Prophets will not be overcome. They are His witnesses and hold His Priesthood. Be of good cheer and seek joy as Pres. Monson and Pres. Nelson requested.
Good point. If you don't see it happening, you should probably start looking until you find it rather than focusing on the places you don't see it happening.

sushi_chef
captain of 1,000

Post by sushi_chef »

"His church will stand until his glorious second coming. His Prophets will not be overcome. They are His witnesses...."

church == >> people, members, congregations

his prophets == >> at that time seems they are going to be joseph and hyrum, so, perhaps, no problem at that ime....

"When I could endure it no longer, I cried out aloud, saying: O Lord! in the name of Jesus Christ I pray Thee, show me what these things mean, and what I shall say to Thy people? On a sudden the Spirit of God came upon me, and filled my heart with joy and gladness indescribable; and while the spirit of revelation glowed in my bosom with as visible a warmth and gladness as if it were fire. The Spirit said unto me: "Lift up your head and rejoice; for behold! it is well with my servants Joseph and Hyrum. My servant Joseph still holds the keys of my kingdom in this dispensation, and he shall stand in due time on the earth, in the flesh, and fulfil that to which he is appointed. Go and say unto my people in Nauvoo, that they shall continue to pursue their....
"
http://www.boap.org/LDS/Early-Saints/PPPratt.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:-B

mhewett
captain of 100

Post by mhewett »

Obrien wrote:
mhewett wrote:Obrien I wonder if the problem is that some people are expecting too much. We read about all these revelations in the scriptures and all these prophecies in all the scriptures from the OT on but often I think we fail to understand the timing of when these actually occurred. We think that because a major revelation has not been announced in a few years that God must be quiet and this somehow means that there is a problem with the leadership as nothing has been announced in the last 5 seconds. I don't believe anyone could truthfully say no revelation has been received since because this church needs revelation to function properly. I believe that if you read the words of the prophets and apostles you will find evidence of revelation.

My question to you Obrien is what is your definition of revelation?
Check out the DC. There's a lot of revelations there, and a few prophecies.

Currently, I'm being told to serve. I already knew that, so did you.
Well I am aware of the 'DC' and what is in it but you didn't answer my question. I see people on this site saying where are the revelations? I can't see any!! Well I am just trying to understand what you believe revelation actually is. Rather than me guessing what you are thinking, I would like to hear it in your own words so I can answer your initial question better. You didn't accept my suggestion on modern revelation so you must think revelation is different to what I think it is. So please, what is your personal definition of revelation?

jbalm
The Third Comforter

Post by jbalm »

lundbaek wrote:I am aware of the original revelations Re. plural marriage and blacks and the priesthood having been repealed. But were there any other statements of advice, counsel, or direction that were repealed ?
There was that whole oral sex prohibition (for married couples, no less) in the 80s. It was sort of repealed.

plainness
captain of 100

Post by plainness »

Ditto on the earrings. I married a woman of the one-pair designation, thank you Elder Bednar. She's been meek and servile all the way. She hearkens to priesthood authority with aplomb. Hahaha.

Revelation, though. Hmmm. If we were un-churched, we'd have artless and simple definitions for revelation. Which, by the posts on this thread, we seem to have re-negotiated. Looks like we allow basic summaries of our beliefs drafted by Kirton and McKonkie to be revelation. Or standard admonitions to be more earnest disciples, these seem to qualify as well.

My favorite modern revelation is 3rd Nephi, and the Book of Ether.

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

In my son's mission, they were told the Lord wanted them not to take their shoes off they get home at night as a sign to Him that they are willing to work. And being homesick was a sin that required repentance. I suppose both of those qualify as revelation? It's certainly beyond the common sense threshold that Obrien was talking about.

Can't say they're my favorite revelations, though...

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

jbalm wrote:
lundbaek wrote:I am aware of the original revelations Re. plural marriage and blacks and the priesthood having been repealed. But were there any other statements of advice, counsel, or direction that were repealed ?
There was that whole oral sex prohibition (for married couples, no less) in the 80s. It was sort of repealed.
I've never seen God change his mind so quickly.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

jbalm wrote:
Repealed or totally ignored?

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

plainness wrote:Ditto on the earrings. I married a woman of the one-pair designation, thank you Elder Bednar. She's been meek and servile all the way. She hearkens to priesthood authority with aplomb. Hahaha.

Revelation, though. Hmmm. If we were un-churched, we'd have artless and simple definitions for revelation. Which, by the posts on this thread, we seem to have re-negotiated. Looks like we allow basic summaries of our beliefs drafted by Kirton and McKonkie to be revelation. Or standard admonitions to be more earnest disciples, these seem to qualify as well.

My favorite modern revelation is 3rd Nephi, and the Book of Ether.
Why stop there - the BoM was mostly translated by JS staring into a hat at his seer stone, and reading the words that appeared. The whole BoM (except for the quoted KJV Bible parts) is either revelation or fraud. I still choose to go with revelation.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

jbalm wrote:
What?!? That was REPEALED? [Insert Obrien's favorite curse word here]!

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

mhewett wrote:
Obrien wrote:
mhewett wrote:Obrien I wonder if the problem is that some people are expecting too much. We read about all these revelations in the scriptures and all these prophecies in all the scriptures from the OT on but often I think we fail to understand the timing of when these actually occurred. We think that because a major revelation has not been announced in a few years that God must be quiet and this somehow means that there is a problem with the leadership as nothing has been announced in the last 5 seconds. I don't believe anyone could truthfully say no revelation has been received since because this church needs revelation to function properly. I believe that if you read the words of the prophets and apostles you will find evidence of revelation.

My question to you Obrien is what is your definition of revelation?
Check out the DC. There's a lot of revelations there, and a few prophecies.

Currently, I'm being told to serve. I already knew that, so did you.
Well I am aware of the 'DC' and what is in it but you didn't answer my question. I see people on this site saying where are the revelations? I can't see any!! Well I am just trying to understand what you believe revelation actually is. Rather than me guessing what you are thinking, I would like to hear it in your own words so I can answer your initial question better. You didn't accept my suggestion on modern revelation so you must think revelation is different to what I think it is. So please, what is your personal definition of revelation?
Asked and answered on page 1 of this thread.

DC 1 verse 1
1 Hearken, O ye people of my church, saith the voice of him who dwells on high, and whose eyes are upon all men; yea, verily I say: Hearken ye people from afar; and ye that are upon the islands of the sea, listen together.

DC 10 last verse
70 And now, remember the words of him who is the life and light of the world, your Redeemer, your Lord and your God. Amen.

DC 20
16 For the Lord God has spoken it; and we, the elders of the church, have heard and bear witness to the words of the glorious Majesty on high, to whom be glory forever and ever. Amen.

DC 30 - could have been written by anyone

DC 39 / 40
1 Hearken and listen to the voice of him who is from all eternity to all eternity, the Great I Am, even Jesus Christ—

2 The light and the life of the world; a light which shineth in darkness and the darkness comprehendeth it not;

3 The same which came in the meridian of time unto mine own, and mine own received me not;

DC 50
1 Hearken, O ye elders of my church, and give ear to the voice of the living God; and attend to the words of wisdom which shall be given unto you

MH - I randomly selected 6 sections of the DC and looked for a definitive statement that the section was a revelation. The only one that did not claim Jesus as the source was section 30. The others I take to be actual revelations. They have the right feel and spirit to be classed as revelations (or the most ballsy kind of hoax - you decide. I choose to believe revelation.) They are far different from the "revelations" we get today (lower the missionary age, the Proclamation,changing DC 20 to not allow baptism of children at the age of accountability etc.)

plainness
captain of 100

Post by plainness »

Revelation, by the current standard of the Brethren, if we boil down the sentiment and piety:

Its whenever someone with a leadership position makes a decision. That's revelation. Because a key holder had to make a decision. And once they've decided, that's revelation. Because they hold keys. Such is the fungible power of God. It is systemic, consistent, self-replicating, and it will never be taken from the Earth!

jbalm
The Third Comforter

Post by jbalm »

ajax wrote:
jbalm wrote:
I've never seen God change his mind so quickly.
Yep. Even faster than he changed his mind about 18 month missions for young men.

The 80s were rough.

mhewett
captain of 100

Post by mhewett »

Obrien wrote: DC 1 verse 1
1 Hearken, O ye people of my church, saith the voice of him who dwells on high, and whose eyes are upon all men; yea, verily I say: Hearken ye people from afar; and ye that are upon the islands of the sea, listen together.

DC 10 last verse
70 And now, remember the words of him who is the life and light of the world, your Redeemer, your Lord and your God. Amen.

DC 20
16 For the Lord God has spoken it; and we, the elders of the church, have heard and bear witness to the words of the glorious Majesty on high, to whom be glory forever and ever. Amen.

DC 30 - could have been written by anyone

DC 39 / 40
1 Hearken and listen to the voice of him who is from all eternity to all eternity, the Great I Am, even Jesus Christ—

2 The light and the life of the world; a light which shineth in darkness and the darkness comprehendeth it not;

3 The same which came in the meridian of time unto mine own, and mine own received me not;

DC 50
1 Hearken, O ye elders of my church, and give ear to the voice of the living God; and attend to the words of wisdom which shall be given unto you

MH - I randomly selected 6 sections of the DC and looked for a definitive statement that the section was a revelation. The only one that did not claim Jesus as the source was section 30. The others I take to be actual revelations. They have the right feel and spirit to be classed as revelations (or the most ballsy kind of hoax - you decide. I choose to believe revelation.) They are far different from the "revelations" we get today (lower the missionary age, the Proclamation,changing DC 20 to not allow baptism of children at the age of accountability etc.)
I agree that section 30 may come across that way, it almost seems like it is continuing from another revelation except in verse 2 which says who is talking,

2 But your mind has been on the things of the earth more than on the things of me, your Maker, and the ministry whereunto you have been called; and you have not given heed unto my Spirit, and to those who were set over you, but have been persuaded by those whom I have not commanded.

Does that say it is a revelation from the Lord?

Are you saying that it comes down to the language used to determine if it is a revelation or not? Are you of the 'thus saith the lord' type of belief that it has to be that way, otherwise it is not a revelation.

Not trying to split hairs but I am just trying to come to a correct definition so I am sure what you are really saying.

mhewett
captain of 100

Post by mhewett »

plainness wrote:Revelation, by the current standard of the Brethren, if we boil down the sentiment and piety:

Its whenever someone with a leadership position makes a decision. That's revelation. Because a key holder had to make a decision. And once they've decided, that's revelation. Because they hold keys. Such is the fungible power of God. It is systemic, consistent, self-replicating, and it will never be taken from the Earth!
And that is the crux of it, when a leader makes a decision, is it revelation or not revelation? leaders are human and do make mistakes, even prophets and I have never heard it preached that we should not ask God for confirmation of decisions such as a calling we receive or even if the prophet is a true prophet. Some leaders we come to know through their example that they are led by the spirit, others we may question, I know I have disagreed with a bishop or 2.

If you have questions about whether or not the leaders of this church receive revelation, why not ask God? Get your own revelation, oh hang on, doesn't revelation to us have to come in the form of 'thus saith the Lord' or does that only apply to the brethren?

plainness
captain of 100

Post by plainness »

mhewett wrote:
plainness wrote:Revelation, by the current standard of the Brethren, if we boil down the sentiment and piety:

And that is the crux of it, when a leader makes a decision, is it revelation or not revelation? leaders are human and do make mistakes, even prophets and I have never heard it preached that we should not ask God for confirmation of decisions such as a calling we receive or even if the prophet is a true prophet. Some leaders we come to know through their example that they are led by the spirit, others we may question, I know I have disagreed with a bishop or 2.

If you have questions about whether or not the leaders of this church receive revelation, why not ask God? Get your own revelation, oh hang on, doesn't revelation to us have to come in the form of 'thus saith the Lord' or does that only apply to the brethren?
Can you elaborate a little? I wonder if I'm
Missing your point. Or I'm just up too late.

mhewett
captain of 100

Post by mhewett »

plainness wrote:
mhewett wrote:

Can you elaborate a little? I wonder if I'm
Missing your point. Or I'm just up too late.

Well your point seems to be that whatever a leader decides, it is revelation, because of their position, it must be revelation, we must take it for granted that it is.

My point is, if a leader makes a decision, was a decision revelation or not and how can we know? I am not saying absolutely every decision ever made is by revelation because a leader would be on his knees most of the day and some decisions are clear cut and don't need revelation. If we have reservations about if a decision is by revelation or if it is condoned by God, do what the Book of Mormon says and get on your knees and ask God if it is true. Generally speaking, revelation does not have to come to us in the form of 'thus saith the lord' but obviously it can but it seems that some people think that if a revelation does come from God and the brethren share it with the members of the church, it has to have specific phrasing such as, 'thus saith the Lord'. I find that thinking limiting.

plainness
captain of 100

Post by plainness »

Ok we're on the same track. But I was being a bit sarcastic. Still, that's the substance of LDS rhetoric for revelation. Whatever a key-holder decides. Because they hold keys. It's a circular thing.

Or whatever the presiding committees agree upon. That's revelation.

Another example: If the church's law firm directs a strategic move to declare beliefs so that the church has a legal ability to influence traditional marriage legislation in Hawaii, that document (The Proclamation on The Family), is a revelation.

Among ethical, political tactics for basic family values, it's a good move. But I think revelation is born of different stuff.

Here's a question: what reason do we have NOT to expect abundant conversational candor from Jesus, regular and often. In clear voice, and plain language. That's the weight of how it's explained in the BOM and the NT. That's what Joseph Smith meant.

But by sentimentality, institutional piety, we have a new definition for revelation.

For the leaders, its decision making influenced by group introspection in the form of dialogue and prayer. Officially stamped.

For the common members, it's feelings that strengthen commitments and motivations to serve.

Here's an analogy. Same form innovation, different subject:

When Joseph Smith, or Nephi, or Peter mention angels, they mean a messenger sent directly from the presence of God on a holy errand. A glorified being with a specific herald.

But in LDS context, conference talks, Ensign articles, an angel is someone who feels impressed to help you, say, they buy you groceries when you are having financial problems. They may be prompted or led by the spirit. Or not. Or even a memory of your kind and faithful mother, reminding you to prayer. This is the new definition of an angel. (Elder Bednar)

Can you see the pattern? Pragmatic choices based on introspective feelings related to prayer are good. Nothing wrong with that.

But I have to ask again: What reason to we have NOT to expect revelation in the scriptural description? In my opinion, we don't have any good ones.

Because God is a revealer. And His passion is to be candid and plain and conversationally available. Heaven went bankrupt so the Holy Ghost would thrive in us. This is not so we can privilege feelings and pious pragmatism as revelation.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

plainness wrote:
Here's a question: what reason do we have NOT to expect abundant conversational candor from Jesus, regular and often. In clear voice, and plain language.

I believe the answer to this can be found in D&C 136:41-42.
Bear in mind this is the very last recorded and canonised "thus saith the Lord" revelation in this dispensation.

41. Now, therefore, hearken, O ye people of my church; and ye elders listen together; you have received my kingdom.
42. Be diligent in keeping all my commandments, lest judgments come upon you, and your faith fail you, and your enemies triumph over you. So no more at present. Amen and Amen.

I believe what the Lord is saying here is "OK, I've given you all the tools you need, now get on with it"; and finishes by telling us there won't be any more (as we've got enough to be getting on with) and concludes with an emphatic double amen.

Since this revelation the Brethren have been busy encouraging us to observe the first part of verse 42, to "be diligent in keeping all (of the) commandments".

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

Robin Hood wrote:
plainness wrote:
Here's a question: what reason do we have NOT to expect abundant conversational candor from Jesus, regular and often. In clear voice, and plain language.

Bear in mind this is the very last recorded and canonised "thus saith the Lord" revelation in this dispensation.

41. Now, therefore, hearken, O ye people of my church; and ye elders listen together; you have received my kingdom.
42. Be diligent in keeping all my commandments, lest judgments come upon you, and your faith fail you, and your enemies triumph over you. So no more at present. Amen and Amen.

I believe what the Lord is saying here is "OK, I've given you all the tools you need, now get on with it"; and finishes by telling us there won't be any more (as we've got enough to be getting on with) and concludes with an emphatic double amen.

Since this revelation the Brethren have been busy encouraging us to observe the first part of verse 42, to "be diligent in keeping all (of the) commandments".
What you say sounds so much like saying we have all the revelation we need and we need no more revelation. Or, said another way, but essentially the same meaning and the same result, a Bible, a Bible, we have got a Bible and we need no more Bible.

You are saying that the Heavens are closed, just like our Protestant brothers have claimed and God does not speak to us any more as He used to.

Where am I wrong? And isn't this ironic coming from a restoration Church?

-Finrock

Sarah
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Sarah »

Finrock wrote:
Robin Hood wrote:
plainness wrote:

What you say sounds so much like saying we have all the revelation we need and we need no more revelation. Or, said another way, but essentially the same meaning and the same result, a Bible, a Bible, we have got a Bible and we need no more Bible.

You are saying that the Heavens are closed, just like our Protestant brothers have claimed and God does not speak to us any more as He used to.

Where am I wrong? And isn't this ironic coming from a restoration Church?

-Finrock
Something I've considered is that when we look at all the revelations Joseph Smith received in regards to setting up the Church and establishing doctrine, compared to every other prophet, Joseph Smith received pretty much all of it. You might even say that everything after J.S. was more policy and practice changes, and not doctrinal changes. I think J.S. had to receive it all. That was his mission, and everything needed to be established up front from the beginning. It doesn't mean that prophets and apostles don't receive continuing revelation to direct the Church, reveal new polices or practices, or clarify doctrine, but we aren't receiving the laws and doctrine in the same way that was revealed to Joseph Smith. If you could add to the D&C, what do you think the Lord would add? I think we need to have a cleansing of the Church before Church members as a whole are ready and worthy enough to receive more doctrine.

bbsion
captain of 100

Post by bbsion »

Sarah wrote: I think we need to have a cleansing of the Church before Church members as a whole are ready and worthy enough to receive more doctrine.

Just curious. What do you suppose would happen to an individual in the church today that is already worthy enough to receive more doctrine? Or do you believe that more doctrine is halted for everyone until every single person in the church is ready for more meat?