My Ward is Weird, How About Yours?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

My Ward is Weird, How About Yours?

Post by JohnnyL »

Our youth call the youth leaders by their first name, not "Bro. X".

If you are the president of a quorum or auxiliary, you are called "President X." So, we have 7 people called "President" because of their current calling. This usually happens during PEC, WC, and other "official"-kind of meetings.

If you were the bishop or in the stake presidency, you are still called "Bishop X" or "President X". We have two former bishops that everyone still calls "Bishop X" and a former stake president that is still called "President X."

SS teachers strictly teach by the manual. They will even read, "Tell the class members that..." while teaching. If you give an answer that is not a Primary answer, they will reword it so that it becomes a Primary answer.

kennyhs
captain of 1,000

Re: My Ward is Weird, How About Yours?

Post by kennyhs »

That is weird, never heard of such a thing. My ward doesn't have a choir and doesn't want one, no organist either. Might not bE a bad thing. ;)

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

Mine is even weirder. It's all full of Mormons.

My buddy's Takes the cake though. They accually talk about service to the ward and community and then do it. Also talk a lot about the constitution.

markharr
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by markharr »

As a youth my parents divorced, I was left to live with a father who could care less whether I went to church or not. There were youth leaders in my ward who were very focused on protocol, and other things to the point that they drove me away. That was thirty years ago I have to imagine that with the breakdown of families it is even worse now.

As a former soldier I can tell you that in times of peace, protocol is given higher priority than at times of war when you are under siege

Maybe these leaders are more focused on helping this generation arm themselves against the relentless onslaughts from the adversary that this generation has to endure than protocol.

We need to find ways to be less critical of each other, and more supportive. These leaders are spending their Sundays, and evenings doing god's work. It would be easier them to spend their Sundays water skiing, and their evenings watching netflix.

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

IT is common place in my experience to refer to formor Bishops with the hororific term Bishop for the rest of their lives. Rather like how retired military offers retain the title of their rank even in retirement

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

We are a peculiar people. When people ask me what happens in a church service I usually say symbolic cannibalism.

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

Joel wrote:We are a peculiar people. When people ask me what happens in a church service I usually say symbolic cannibalism.

Well not really. We are supposed to be. But I would say we as a people are rather worldly. Very much like the rest of the world. From reading scriptures if we as a people were as we should be according to the scriptures then yes we would be peculiar.

kennyhs
captain of 1,000

Post by kennyhs »

kennyhs
captain of 1,000

Post by kennyhs »

Joel wrote:We are a peculiar people. When people ask me what happens in a church service I usually say symbolic cannibalism.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

JohnnyL wrote:Our youth call the youth leaders by their first name, not "Bro. X".

If you are the president of a quorum or auxiliary, you are called "President X." So, we have 7 people called "President" because of their current calling. This usually happens during PEC, WC, and other "official"-kind of meetings.

If you were the bishop or in the stake presidency, you are still called "Bishop X" or "President X". We have two former bishops that everyone still calls "Bishop X" and a former stake president that is still called "President X."

SS teachers strictly teach by the manual. They will even read, "Tell the class members that..." while teaching. If you give an answer that is not a Primary answer, they will reword it so that it becomes a Primary answer.
My condolences, on all fronts.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

Ezra wrote:Mine is even weirder. It's all full of Mormons.

My buddy's Takes the cake though. They accually talk about service to the ward and community and then do it. Also talk a lot about the constitution.
Crazy, dude... =))
Hows the farming going?

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

Obrien wrote:

Crazy, dude... =))
Hows the farming going?
It's going. Which is good. Scaled back to 5 acres to make it happen. Planted and growing

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

Ezra wrote:
Obrien wrote:

Crazy, dude... =))
Hows the farming going?
It's going. Which is good. Scaled back to 5 acres to make it happen. Planted and growing
Sweet.
Keep in touch.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

Farming. Farming is good. Farming sometimes produces food. And food is my favorite dish.
A tractor pulled a huge load of hay across the road in front of me today. I guess he was headed to the other side of the city.
Earlier, a deer ran by me, across the yard across the street at high speed. A dog was fast chasing him. Then 3 blocks down a deer crossed the street.
Of course, I'm in Manti this week, not Los Angeles.
Oh, my ward. It's fantastic, wonderful people living the gospel, friendly and kind, It's a total joy.
But I want to get into a new ward. It's even more wonderful. I went yesterday, even nicer people. And then a testimony meeting last night about Mormon Miracle Pageant at the Stake Center.
What wonderful testimony. Everyone was limited (with an egg timer) to 2 minutes. But it still took 2 hours.
And everybody loved serving in the pageant.
dc

sandman45
captain of 1,000

Post by sandman45 »

Yea weird that happened in my home ward.. not so much in mine now.. but the primary presidency sure likes to teach false doctrine to my son before his baptism where I have to then re teach him when they left my home...

I corrected them on 1 aspect and they just brushed my comment aside like I didnt know what I was talking about... anyone else see this happening in their wards?

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

I heard a lot of false doctrine being taught in Primary during the two years I was pianist (recently). The one concept taught ALL THE TIME is that if they keep the commandments they will always be happy. I understand this is true on a macro-level, but it's not true as seen through the eyes and mind of a child. This mortal existence is replete with suffering and tribulations, especially for those who are the Lord's sheep. As Gileadi says, in his interpretation of Isaiah, the is no salvation without suffering. But, we seem to be afraid to teach our Primary kids that life can be tough, even when we are doing our best. So we set them up for failure -- when they are doing their best, and then tragedy and cruelty hit them hard -- they sometimes decide that either they were told lies, or that there is no God, or that God doesn't love them because they are not good enough.

kennyhs
captain of 1,000

Post by kennyhs »

Lizzy60 wrote:I heard a lot of false doctrine being taught in Primary during the two years I was pianist (recently). The one concept taught ALL THE TIME is that if they keep the commandments they will always be happy. I understand this is true on a macro-level, but it's not true as seen through the eyes and mind of a child. This mortal existence is replete with suffering and tribulations, especially for those who are the Lord's sheep. As Gileadi says, in his interpretation of Isaiah, the is no salvation without suffering. But, we seem to be afraid to teach our Primary kids that life can be tough, even when we are doing our best. So we set them up for failure -- when they are doing their best, and then tragedy and cruelty hit them hard -- they sometimes decide that either they were told lies, or that there is no God, or that God doesn't love them because they are not good enough.
" In the world today we are victims of many who use their tongues as sharp swords. The misuse of our tongues seems to add intrigue and destruction as the media and private persons indulge in this pastime. In the vernacular of the day, this destructive activity is called bashing. The dictionary reports that to bash is to strike with a heavy, crushing blow." Marvin J. Ashton

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Girls camp!! They came back with NOTHING written in the manual. What??

They didn't use it. In fact, they did almost nothing that had to do with camping, first aid, etc.

They did service, memorized a song, acted in a skit, and five other similar things. It was like a mini-youth conference, but just for girls.

Oh, they spent most of their free time playing cards!!

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Let's face it, the church is weird.

Older/wiser?
captain of 100

Post by Older/wiser? »

The church is fine, it's the people who decide how to implement the programs and don't seek after the spirit trying to keep one foot in Babylon.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Older/wiser? wrote:The church is fine, it's the people who decide how to implement the programs and don't seek after the spirit trying to keep one foot in Babylon.
I know what you mean, but the church is the people.
Church (Greek: ecclesia) = "congregation of believers".

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

Robin Hood wrote:
Older/wiser? wrote:The church is fine, it's the people who decide how to implement the programs and don't seek after the spirit trying to keep one foot in Babylon.
I know what you mean, but the church is the people.
Church (Greek: ecclesia) = "congregation of believers".
DC 10:67

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

gkearney wrote:IT is common place in my experience to refer to formor Bishops with the hororific term Bishop for the rest of their lives. Rather like how retired military offers retain the title of their rank even in retirement
"Hororific?" What kinds of horror were your former bishops? ;-)

Presuming you mean "honorific" I've never seen a ward where at least some of the people still use titles long after the leader is out. A Relief Society President is always "President" at ward functions. Bishops are always "Bishop" unless they become "President." It seems normal to me.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

More and more weird things, but I'll skip them, due to this...

Something very weird happened today, the week before Mothers Day.

In RS the lesson was about marriage:
1. Don't assume you know what your husband is thinking, feeling, or why he did said or did something.
2. Let him do things in his way.
3. Don't judge.
4. Go home and repent (not your husband).

Finally, for once, weird in a GREAT way. :ymparty: :ymparty:

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

Weird ward? Our "testimony" meeting today was more like an ode to Valentine's Day or something. Almost every person who got up, went on and on about their spouses - especially the men about their wives. I mean, it's great that they love their wives and all, but that's ALL they talked about - not the gospel, not the Savior, not a spiritual experience, etc. - just how awesome their wives are. After the first guy got up and preached his wife (knowing she would then post glowing praises of HIM on FB as soon as church got out - which she did, lol :)) ), each subsequent "testimony" had to, of course, out-do the one before, so after the 5th or 6th guy did this, we were expecting their wives to just translate in front of our eyes right in the chapel or something. Because having just one 'worship women' Sunday isn't enough - now I guess it's on Mother's Day AND the Sunday before. =;