My Ward is Weird, How About Yours?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Older/wiser?
captain of 100

Re: My Ward is Weird, How About Yours?

Post by Older/wiser? »

EmmaLee wrote: May 7th, 2017, 1:47 pm Weird ward? Our "testimony" meeting today was more like an ode to Valentine's Day or something. Almost every person who got up, went on and on about their spouses - especially the men about their wives. I mean, it's great that they love their wives and all, but that's ALL they talked about - not the gospel, not the Savior, not a spiritual experience, etc. - just how awesome their wives are. After the first guy got up and preached his wife (knowing she would then post glowing praises of HIM on FB as soon as church got out - which she did, lol :)) ), each subsequent "testimony" had to, of course, out-do the one before, so after the 5th or 6th guy did this, we were expecting their wives to just translate in front of our eyes right in the chapel or something. Because having just one 'worship women' Sunday isn't enough - now I guess it's on Mother's Day AND the Sunday before. =;
Unbelievable! Not to many things make me upset with people in the church, but to use that sacred time to toot your marital horn, I find that a grevious sin. I have looked out on the audience from the stand and seen women broken , with feelings of self worth shattered, wondering why they are not worthy of spousal adoration. So when I hear (very seldom) that type of testimony I bristle. That sacred time is to be used to edify one another on our Lord and Savior and his dealings with us ,to strengthen our faith and the surrounding flock in knowledge and love for Him. Sounds like they need some chastising , good thing not my job , not my stewardship.

samizdat
captain of 1,000

Post by samizdat »

My ward is kind of weird.

Even the Stake President and Bishop are referred to as their first name, ie Bishop Daniel instead of Bishop Soriano.

But it is a Latin thing I guess.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

Weird ward?
You guys don't know the half of it. Today we won weirdest of the year. The award hasn't been announced yet, but it will be ...

I notice that the Bishop and others, in their house, are called by first name. This is California and a lot of them use first names everywhere. Even in all business situations. But if we are in the Bishops house, then a lot of them use first name. Not all.
But in the house, these would be people who are familiar with the Bishop for many years, perhaps their whole life. Or are related.

It's not unusual in all of the US of A, and perhaps many other parts of the world, to be called by the highest rank or job they had.
It's not unusual for military vets who still know guys they served with, to still call someone, 30 years after being out of the service, Sarge, or Lt, or Captain.
Out fishing, "Captain, hand me that blue tackle box right there ..." Or in a restaurant, "There's the Captain right there ..."
dc