Who's my cousin?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ
Location: Staring at my computer, not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Re: Who's my cousin?

Post by A Random Phrase »

h_p wrote:If you think about it, being 11th or 14th cousins (or x times removed) means you have a common ancestor about that many generations ago, which is actually quite a bit of time, like the 15 or 1600's.

I'm related to a lot of people in each of those groups on the site, with the exception of Mayflower people and Salem witch trials. I only found one person who I'm a direct descendant of. My family likes to claim fame in being related to Davy Crockett, but I'm only 5th cousins 6 times removed from him. I'm more closely related to Harry Truman, and almost as closely related to Barack Obama.
That is quite a long time ago. So, if we had ancestors from England, Ireland, Scotland, and Sweden, the odds of many of us being cousins (11th, 14th, x times removed) would be higher. What you say makes sense to me.

I'm related to the Mayflower/witch trial people (I knew that before looking at the website. One of our ancestors was killed for being a witch) - and the website says I'm related to Obama (they have his father as "unknown").

Also, it only takes one common ancestor and, like you said, quite a while ago. It doesn't mean we are so closely related that we would be attending family reunions together.

Edit. Had to take out that I'm not related to BY.
Last edited by A Random Phrase on June 9th, 2016, 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

KurtTheMormon
captain of 100

Post by KurtTheMormon »

A Random Phrase wrote:Well, then, Kurt, we must be related also, because we overlap a lot.
KurtTheMormon wrote:WOW. I just used "Relative Finder" to find who I'm related to that might be famous. I ended up with:

15 of the Declaration of Independence signers.
Multiple Constitution signers.
Multiple LDS Prophets (Joseph Smith, Hyrum Smith, Thomas S. Monson, and more)
11/12 of the current LDS Apostles and a list of past Apostles so long I can't even put it here.
6/12 Book of Mormon 12 Witnesses
4/8 Book of Mormon 8 witnesses
Edgar Allen Poe and a littany of other famous writers/poets.
Salem Witchcraft Trial people
Amelia Earheart
The list goes on and on....

And now I know why I'm an ultra-Patriotic Mormon and an excellent writer. It literally runs in my family. Hahaha.
Edited to add: When I went back on to see if I was related to SmallFarm, I only had 2 LDSFF relatives - Him and Meili. You should log in to the LDSFF group and see if you're related to any of us here (you and I have to be if that genealogy is accurate. We have too many people in common to not be related, even if it is 11th cousin 8x removed).

Edited again for spelling error. :ymblushing:
How do I do so?

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

KurtTheMormon wrote:
A Random Phrase wrote:Well, then, Kurt, we must be related also, because we overlap a lot.
KurtTheMormon wrote:WOW. I just used "Relative Finder" to find who I'm related to that might be famous. I ended up with:

15 of the Declaration of Independence signers.
Multiple Constitution signers.
Multiple LDS Prophets (Joseph Smith, Hyrum Smith, Thomas S. Monson, and more)
11/12 of the current LDS Apostles and a list of past Apostles so long I can't even put it here.
6/12 Book of Mormon 12 Witnesses
4/8 Book of Mormon 8 witnesses
Edgar Allen Poe and a littany of other famous writers/poets.
Salem Witchcraft Trial people
Amelia Earheart
The list goes on and on....

And now I know why I'm an ultra-Patriotic Mormon and an excellent writer. It literally runs in my family. Hahaha.
Edited to add: When I went back on to see if I was related to SmallFarm, I only had 2 LDSFF relatives - Him and Meili. You should log in to the LDSFF group and see if you're related to any of us here (you and I have to be if that genealogy is accurate. We have too many people in common to not be related, even if it is 11th cousin 8x removed).

Edited again for spelling error. :ymblushing:
How do I do so?
My instructions in the OP explain how. I created a group. Join the group and you'll see who else in the group you are related to. Just be warned that it will use your real name and people will know what your real name is.

ebenezerarise
captain of 1,000

Post by ebenezerarise »

A Random Phrase wrote: I discovered it when I was living in northern Az (so during the first 10 years of the 21st century), but the work was done way before then. If it was done in the Denver temple (it seems like it was), then it had to have been done after 1986, not in the 60s. I can't access the source now to see when the work was actually done. See, I'm not a lot of help when it comes to dates. Once I hit about 40, the years began to melt into one another. Something that happened in the 60s seems like a few years ago, but so does something that happened a couple of years ago.
Boy, do I hear you! When you click on the ordinances tab in Family Search you can see the date and the temple of when work was performed. This is the "official" info on church records, even if there was duplicate work done for that person. What I've learned is that the church uses the last ordinance that represents the most current and correct information.

You can still get rid of the extra sibling. I did that last night for a member in our ward I was helping. To complete the process we only had to explain why we felt it was a duplicate and to make sure the updated records proving the other sibling correct was in place. It was gone this morning, so it can be done.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

Sweet! I have 6 cousins on here. Three, I know who they are on this forum (Meili, SmallFarm, and Chad) and three, I don't know who they are on this forum.

notjamesbond003.5
captain of 1,000

Post by notjamesbond003.5 »

Everything was going good until I found THIS:

Barack Obama 12th Cousin 2 times removed ▼ U.S. Presidents

Oh
Hell
No.

njb

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

:))

notjamesbond003.5
captain of 1,000

Post by notjamesbond003.5 »

Like that eh ?

I didn't.
Riding on Njbs DNa shirt tails.
Humph

Njb

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

He's my relative too, njb. He's probably relatives with a lot of us.

Edited to add: 12th cousin 1x removed. I'm a step closer related than you are. B-( YMWHISTLE :(( :))
Last edited by A Random Phrase on June 3rd, 2016, 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

I'm related to Ed Goble (one of the few on here who posts under his real name). 7th cousin. The only one closer to me, thus far, is SmallFarm.

I wonder if I'm related to Shadow, Mark, AI, and others whose posts I read often. And of course, FFA - can't forget him. He's my sinkhole buddy - and my "play on words" buddy.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

By the way, anyone on here who has seen that they are my relative who does not use their real name on this forum, would you be willing to pm me that you're on the list? I will not post your name. I know that I would not like it if someone did that to me (and they have, before I put my name in my signature).

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

A Random Phrase wrote:By the way, anyone on here who has seen that they are my relative who does not use their real name on this forum, would you be willing to pm me that you're on the list? I will not post your name. I know that I would not like it if someone did that to me (and they have, before I put my name in my signature).
I still check every time before I use it, just to make sure you haven't gone incognito again. :)

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

A Random Phrase wrote:I'm related to Ed Goble (one of the few on here who posts under his real name). 7th cousin. The only one closer to me, thus far, is SmallFarm.

I wonder if I'm related to Shadow, Mark, AI, and others whose posts I read often. And of course, FFA - can't forget him. He's my sinkhole buddy - and my "play on words" buddy.
Ed is my closest relative, too. 9th cousin, straight up.

By the way, on my chart that traces my and Obama's ancestry, his father is listed as "none." :-o

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

Meili wrote:Ed is my closest relative, too. 9th cousin, straight up.
\:D/ :-BD
Meili wrote:By the way, on my chart that traces my and Obama's ancestry, his father is listed as "none." :-o
Mine says the same thing.

Njb, you ought to sign up on Meili's group. I would like to know where you and I connect (since we share at least one relative. :ymdevil: ).
Last edited by A Random Phrase on June 4th, 2016, 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Post by Sirocco »

I wonder if I am related to any of you people?

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

Famous people I'm related too.

Elvis Presley. Walt Disney,Amelia Earhart, Bing Crosby, davey Crockett,Jesse James,Emily Dickerson. Buster Keaton,humphery bogart , Thomas Edison,

And I not related to Obama like some of you suckers.

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

I'm 11th cousins with B. H. Obama closest here so far. :ymdevil:

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

Sara, on here, is also one of my relatives. 10th cousin.

Sirocco, you'd have to have an account at Family Search, plus have genealogy in its search engine so it could link you. It wouldn't hurt to try. The account is free. If you know your parents and grandparents' names (better yet, also your great-grandparents and great-great-grandparents), it is possible that some relative has joined the LDS Church and done some genealogy linking your family. https://familysearch.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

Anybody look up European royalty?

I knew I was related to some, but got this surprise: Elizabeth Tudor 1st Cousin 14 times removed
I didn't know a first cousin could be "removed" - especially 14x.

Tudors and Stuarts. Anyone else related to these families?

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

A Random Phrase wrote:Anybody look up European royalty?

I knew I was related to some, but got this surprise: Elizabeth Tudor 1st Cousin 14 times removed
I didn't know a first cousin could be "removed" - especially 14x.

Tudors and Stuarts. Anyone else related to these families?
I'm related to Anna Stuart.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

:-BD \:D/

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Ezra wrote:Famous people I'm related too.

Elvis Presley. Walt Disney,Amelia Earhart, Bing Crosby, davey Crockett,Jesse James,Emily Dickerson. Buster Keaton,humphery bogart , Thomas Edison,

Snob. :P

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

There's only one person I'm related to on this site whose name I don't recognize now. I won't mention the names of anyone who hasn't commented on this thread, though.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

I'm related to Humphrey Bogart, too.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

Meili wrote:

Snob. :P
:))