Who's my cousin?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ
Location: Staring at my computer, not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Re: Who's my cousin?

Post by A Random Phrase »

passionflower wrote:Is anybody getting anything besides american-english genealogy here?
No matter what I did, I got nothing on myself or any of my own family lines(which are continental european). All I got was what was linked to me through my all-american husband.
My Swedish ancestors don't seem to be on there. Plus, the kings are "European" which I suspect excludes Ireland, Scotland, and maybe others. For example, these ancestors are not on there:
King of Italy, Pepin (Carloman) born 777
King of the Scots, Donald II died 900
Alexander, I (King of Scotland) born 1077
Alexander, II (King of Scotland) born 1198
Alfred, ("The Great," King of Wessex) born 849

So, yes, it seems geared toward English/American.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

BrianM wrote:Just joined the group, so far 13 of your are distantly related.
Hi cousin! Image

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

Meili wrote:
passionflower wrote:Is anybody getting anything besides american-english genealogy here?
No matter what I did, I got nothing on myself or any of my own family lines(which are continental european). All I got was what was linked to me through my all-american husband.
Are you sure your family line is listed in family search? And that you are linked into it? Some people have gotten British royalty from what I understand.
It won't list people who have not been inputted into family search, that's for sure. As to the people I listed above, of my relatives who are not there, it is possible that they haven't been inputted, since my brother who did a lot of research doesn't believe in the LDS faith - but I thought he freely shared with anyone who asked, and that some aunt, somewhere, would have inputted it.

It still seems like it is geared toward the U.S. and England, and doesn't seem to go back earlier than the early 1000 A.D.s (if that far).

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

A Random Phrase wrote:
My Swedish ancestors don't seem to be on there. Plus, the kings are "European" which I suspect excludes Ireland, Scotland, and maybe others. For example, these ancestors are not on there:
King of Italy, Pepin (Carloman) born 777
King of the Scots, Donald II died 900
Alexander, I (King of Scotland) born 1077
Alexander, II (King of Scotland) born 1198
Alfred, ("The Great," King of Wessex) born 849

So, yes, it seems geared toward English/American.
It also limits the number of generations back that are searched

clarkkent14
LBFOJ

Post by clarkkent14 »

Taylor is my second cousin! "2nd Cousin 1 times removed" pretty cool :)

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Wow! That's the closest I've heard so far.

BringerOfJoy
captain of 100

Post by BringerOfJoy »

Chad, did you already know that you were related? That's pretty close to not know each othere.

clarkkent14
LBFOJ

Post by clarkkent14 »

BringerOfJoy wrote:Chad, did you already know that you were related? That's pretty close to not know each othere.
I actually think we talked about the potential connection a while ago on Facebook. However, as closely related as it may sound, the connection starts with my Great Great Grandfather who died in 1931. This common ancestor would be Taylor's Great Grandfather (hence the "1 time removed"). His son, my Great Grandfather died in 1973, before I was born.

I don't know a lot about my 2nd or 3rd cousins. I wish I knew more, but my family left southern Utah before I was born. Most of my relatives we're in So. Utah while I grew up in the SLC area. I'm trying to build better relationships with my 1st cousins since I've moved back down.

jockeybox
captain of 100

Post by jockeybox »

Lyman White is my 6th great uncle. Direct line. I forgot my grandmas maiden name was white.

He ordained Joseph Smith and Sidney Rigdon as high priests, among a few other things.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

SmallFarm wrote:It also limits the number of generations back that are searched
Yes. I found out that it only goes back 16 generations. I am supposing their database couldn't handle more than that.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

ebenezerarise wrote:You can still get rid of the extra sibling. I did that last night for a member in our ward I was helping. To complete the process we only had to explain why we felt it was a duplicate and to make sure the updated records proving the other sibling correct was in place. It was gone this morning, so it can be done.
I went into Family Search a day or two ago, and it looks like the extra sibling is gone now.

Cookies
captain of 100

Post by Cookies »

I'm related to 24 of you guys. Do I win a prize?

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

I'm related to 26. To tell you the truth, I would have never guessed being related to more than a handful of people here.

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

A Random Phrase wrote:I'm related to 26. To tell you the truth, I would have never guessed being related to more than a handful of people here.
26 here as well. I figured I'd be related to everyone since I have a handful of direct ancestors who were early LDS members.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Bump. Toni reminded me of this thread. Anyone else want to sign on? It's fun!

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

I can vouch that it's really fun, even though most of the people here use alternate names so I'm left curious about who they are, username-wise.

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

They've updated the page. You can now see all the ways you are related, not just your closest relation. This is good because most of you I'm related to through Leo Earl Hunsaker, but I'm not an actual blood descendant of him.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

That's cool to know, SmallFarm. But I'm sad that I'm not related to you by blood. You are my closest relation on there. (I was A Random Phrase when this thread was created.)

Matchmaker
captain of 1,000

Post by Matchmaker »

Thank you.

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

Silver Pie wrote: March 25th, 2017, 2:23 pm That's cool to know, SmallFarm. But I'm sad that I'm not related to you by blood. You are my closest relation on there. (I was A Random Phrase when this thread was created.)
We're still related through Joseph Lockwood ;)

WhereCanITurn4Peace
captain of 100

Post by WhereCanITurn4Peace »

Thanks for posting this, Meili (we are 12th cousins apparently, lol) ...the website is so much fun! Now my husband is excited to check his info :)

SmallFarm, you are my 10th cousin, 1 time removed. Brian (The Creator), you are also. Toni, you are my 9th cousin, 1 time removed. Looks like I'm related to 28 members here with the closest being a 3rd cousin, 2 times removed.

Jacob Hamblin is my 4th great grandfather (which I already knew), I descend from his 2nd wife. Joseph Smith is a 5th cousin, 7 times removed. Related to a bunch of prophets/wives/apostles. Gordon B Hinckley is the closest being a 3rd cousin, 4 times removed.

Queen Victoria is an 8th cousin, 7 times removed. Got a ton of movie stars/entertainers including Elvis, Janis Joplin, Patsy Cline, Jimmy Stewart, Lucille Ball, Marilyn Monroe, Walt Disney, Rita Hayworth, Robin Williams, Humphrey Bogart, John Wayne, Bing Crosby, Steve McQueen, Carrie Fisher, Errol Flynn, Elizabeth Taylor, Judy Garland, etc. I love that William Shakespeare is a 1st cousin, 13 times removed.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

WhereCanITurn4Peace wrote: March 25th, 2017, 4:35 pm Thanks for posting this, Meili (we are 12th cousins apparently, lol) ...the website is so much fun! Now my husband is excited to check his info :)

SmallFarm, you are my 10th cousin, 1 time removed. Brian (The Creator), you are also. Toni, you are my 9th cousin, 1 time removed. Looks like I'm related to 28 members here with the closest being a 3rd cousin, 2 times removed.

Jacob Hamblin is my 4th great grandfather (which I already knew), I descend from his 2nd wife. Joseph Smith is a 5th cousin, 7 times removed. Related to a bunch of prophets/wives/apostles. Gordon B Hinckley is the closest being a 3rd cousin, 4 times removed.

Queen Victoria is an 8th cousin, 7 times removed. Got a ton of movie stars/entertainers including Elvis, Janis Joplin, Patsy Cline, Jimmy Stewart, Lucille Ball, Marilyn Monroe, Walt Disney, Rita Hayworth, Robin Williams, Humphrey Bogart, John Wayne, Bing Crosby, Steve McQueen, Carrie Fisher, Errol Flynn, Elizabeth Taylor, Judy Garland, etc. I love that William Shakespeare is a 1st cousin, 13 times removed.
Sweet! Hi there, cousin!

We should all have a family reunion. :)

WhereCanITurn4Peace
captain of 100

Post by WhereCanITurn4Peace »

Did some digging on my father's side today since yesterday I was focused on my maternal line.

Found a bunch of French Kings (Louis VI would be 27th great grandfather) and Plantagenet ancestors (Henry II and Eleanor of Aquitaine). Pretty neat if true!

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

Genealogy is risky. Recent researches on my family lines reveal that I'm a 4th cousin, 3 times removed of Earl Russell Browder, the General Secretary of the Communist Party USA starting in 1930 and ending in 1945-46.

Another disturbing connection, I'm first cousins, about 3-4 times removed of a young woman who married a brother of Governor Lilburn Boggs of Missouri. That family connection lived in Howard County in central Missouri from about 1818 or so and on. They grew up in the same town that Kit Carson was from.

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

As an addicted genealogist and one who has been searching MANY YEARS, (I can say it's my one true talent in life) anything beyond 6-7 generations you need to be leery of. There is so much incorrect information on family search I just want to scream and throw my hands in the air. UNCLE! Family Finder is fun but again remember the "fun" part. The closest person related to me here on the forum is Bryan Lang, 6th cousins, once removed. (I don't know your screen name) I actually trust this link because I'm familiar with the line. All others are just "fun".