Who's my cousin?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Re: Who's my cousin?

Post by Silver Pie »

I can vouch that it's really fun, even though most of the people here use alternate names so I'm left curious about who they are, username-wise.

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

They've updated the page. You can now see all the ways you are related, not just your closest relation. This is good because most of you I'm related to through Leo Earl Hunsaker, but I'm not an actual blood descendant of him.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

That's cool to know, SmallFarm. But I'm sad that I'm not related to you by blood. You are my closest relation on there. (I was A Random Phrase when this thread was created.)

Matchmaker
captain of 1,000

Post by Matchmaker »

Thank you.

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

Silver Pie wrote: March 25th, 2017, 2:23 pm That's cool to know, SmallFarm. But I'm sad that I'm not related to you by blood. You are my closest relation on there. (I was A Random Phrase when this thread was created.)
We're still related through Joseph Lockwood ;)

WhereCanITurn4Peace
captain of 100

Post by WhereCanITurn4Peace »

Thanks for posting this, Meili (we are 12th cousins apparently, lol) ...the website is so much fun! Now my husband is excited to check his info :)

SmallFarm, you are my 10th cousin, 1 time removed. Brian (The Creator), you are also. Toni, you are my 9th cousin, 1 time removed. Looks like I'm related to 28 members here with the closest being a 3rd cousin, 2 times removed.

Jacob Hamblin is my 4th great grandfather (which I already knew), I descend from his 2nd wife. Joseph Smith is a 5th cousin, 7 times removed. Related to a bunch of prophets/wives/apostles. Gordon B Hinckley is the closest being a 3rd cousin, 4 times removed.

Queen Victoria is an 8th cousin, 7 times removed. Got a ton of movie stars/entertainers including Elvis, Janis Joplin, Patsy Cline, Jimmy Stewart, Lucille Ball, Marilyn Monroe, Walt Disney, Rita Hayworth, Robin Williams, Humphrey Bogart, John Wayne, Bing Crosby, Steve McQueen, Carrie Fisher, Errol Flynn, Elizabeth Taylor, Judy Garland, etc. I love that William Shakespeare is a 1st cousin, 13 times removed.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

WhereCanITurn4Peace wrote: March 25th, 2017, 4:35 pm Thanks for posting this, Meili (we are 12th cousins apparently, lol) ...the website is so much fun! Now my husband is excited to check his info :)

SmallFarm, you are my 10th cousin, 1 time removed. Brian (The Creator), you are also. Toni, you are my 9th cousin, 1 time removed. Looks like I'm related to 28 members here with the closest being a 3rd cousin, 2 times removed.

Jacob Hamblin is my 4th great grandfather (which I already knew), I descend from his 2nd wife. Joseph Smith is a 5th cousin, 7 times removed. Related to a bunch of prophets/wives/apostles. Gordon B Hinckley is the closest being a 3rd cousin, 4 times removed.

Queen Victoria is an 8th cousin, 7 times removed. Got a ton of movie stars/entertainers including Elvis, Janis Joplin, Patsy Cline, Jimmy Stewart, Lucille Ball, Marilyn Monroe, Walt Disney, Rita Hayworth, Robin Williams, Humphrey Bogart, John Wayne, Bing Crosby, Steve McQueen, Carrie Fisher, Errol Flynn, Elizabeth Taylor, Judy Garland, etc. I love that William Shakespeare is a 1st cousin, 13 times removed.
Sweet! Hi there, cousin!

We should all have a family reunion. :)

WhereCanITurn4Peace
captain of 100

Post by WhereCanITurn4Peace »

Did some digging on my father's side today since yesterday I was focused on my maternal line.

Found a bunch of French Kings (Louis VI would be 27th great grandfather) and Plantagenet ancestors (Henry II and Eleanor of Aquitaine). Pretty neat if true!

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

Genealogy is risky. Recent researches on my family lines reveal that I'm a 4th cousin, 3 times removed of Earl Russell Browder, the General Secretary of the Communist Party USA starting in 1930 and ending in 1945-46.

Another disturbing connection, I'm first cousins, about 3-4 times removed of a young woman who married a brother of Governor Lilburn Boggs of Missouri. That family connection lived in Howard County in central Missouri from about 1818 or so and on. They grew up in the same town that Kit Carson was from.

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

As an addicted genealogist and one who has been searching MANY YEARS, (I can say it's my one true talent in life) anything beyond 6-7 generations you need to be leery of. There is so much incorrect information on family search I just want to scream and throw my hands in the air. UNCLE! Family Finder is fun but again remember the "fun" part. The closest person related to me here on the forum is Bryan Lang, 6th cousins, once removed. (I don't know your screen name) I actually trust this link because I'm familiar with the line. All others are just "fun".

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

larsenb wrote: March 26th, 2017, 8:40 pm Genealogy is risky. Recent researches on my family lines reveal that I'm a 4th cousin, 3 times removed of Earl Russell Browder, the General Secretary of the Communist Party USA starting in 1930 and ending in 1945-46.

Another disturbing connection, I'm first cousins, about 3-4 times removed of a young woman who married a brother of Governor Lilburn Boggs of Missouri. That family connection lived in Howard County in central Missouri from about 1818 or so and on. They grew up in the same town that Kit Carson was from.
Don't feel too bad. After all, Lucifer is Jesus' brother . . .

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

SmallFarm wrote: March 25th, 2017, 4:11 pm
Silver Pie wrote: March 25th, 2017, 2:23 pm That's cool to know, SmallFarm. But I'm sad that I'm not related to you by blood. You are my closest relation on there. (I was A Random Phrase when this thread was created.)
We're still related through Joseph Lockwood ;)
Yeah!! :ymparty: :ymapplause:

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

WhereCanITurn4Peace, that's cool that we are related.

I hear ya, kittycat51. My older brother has been doing genealogy since he was ten and he warned me that it wasn't always accurate - plus, when I tried to do it on my own, the inconsistencies and errors drove me mad! I finally gave up, and just asked my brother for his stuff.

Bryan LJ
captain of 100

Post by Bryan LJ »

kittycat51 wrote: March 27th, 2017, 10:02 am As an addicted genealogist and one who has been searching MANY YEARS, (I can say it's my one true talent in life) anything beyond 6-7 generations you need to be leery of. There is so much incorrect information on family search I just want to scream and throw my hands in the air. UNCLE! Family Finder is fun but again remember the "fun" part. The closest person related to me here on the forum is Bryan Lang, 6th cousins, once removed. (I don't know your screen name) I actually trust this link because I'm familiar with the line. All others are just "fun".
That's me. I nearly have the same username a real name.

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

Bryan LJ wrote: March 27th, 2017, 4:06 pm
kittycat51 wrote: March 27th, 2017, 10:02 am As an addicted genealogist and one who has been searching MANY YEARS, (I can say it's my one true talent in life) anything beyond 6-7 generations you need to be leery of. There is so much incorrect information on family search I just want to scream and throw my hands in the air. UNCLE! Family Finder is fun but again remember the "fun" part. The closest person related to me here on the forum is Bryan Lang, 6th cousins, once removed. (I don't know your screen name) I actually trust this link because I'm familiar with the line. All others are just "fun".
That's me. I nearly have the same username a real name.
Hey cuz! This is my one and only Danish line! (Which I am glad because Danish genealogy gives me a headache). Svane was changed to Swaner just before my ancestors came to Utah as Pioneers in 1854. The story is that Jorgen Svane joined the military and because there were so many other Jorgen Svane's the commander in chief said, your last name will now be Swaner. :)

Bryan LJ
captain of 100

Post by Bryan LJ »

Cool!! Sounds like you know your history better than I know my own. :-)

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

Seconded.
kittycat51 wrote: March 27th, 2017, 10:02 am As an addicted genealogist and one who has been searching MANY YEARS, anything beyond 6-7 generations you need to be leery of. There is so much incorrect information on family search

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Bump.

Anyone new willing to take the plunge?

Jonesy
captain of 1,000

Post by Jonesy »

If this is right, as far as direct ancestors, William Bradford is my 12th great grandfather. I always knew I was a rebel at heart.YMWHISTLE Also, John Lathrop is my 10th great grandfather.

I also have a 4th cousin on here. You know who you are! :)

Yahtzee
captain of 100

Post by Yahtzee »

All right, I joined. I missed this thread before. The closest on here is an 8th cousin. Darn!
Of historical note, I am second cousins with President Kimball (already knew that one), and 7th-12th cousins with every other latter day prophet. Kinda cool.
Also 35 presidents, but the closest is a 5th cousin to Harding. There's a bunch of actors and historic people too, like Davey Crockett and Susan B Anthony, Stuarts and Tudors, John Wayne and Lucille Ball. Too many to name!
I love relative finder!

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Jonesy1982 wrote: July 4th, 2017, 8:51 pm If this is right, as far as direct ancestors, William Bradford is my 12th great grandfather. I always knew I was a rebel at heart.YMWHISTLE Also, John Lathrop is my 10th great grandfather.

I also have a 4th cousin on here. You know who you are! :)
It very well might be wrong. But it's fun anyway!

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

Meili wrote: May 30th, 2016, 11:19 am If you want to know if you are related to any famous people, you can sign up for Relative Finder and it will tell you. If you are like me and don't care, you might try signing into the LDS Freedom Forum group instead so you can find out who is related to who on this site.

Go to: https://www.relativefinder.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sign in.
Go to "Groups" at the top right.
Click on "Join" in the drop down list.
Type in "LDS Freedom Forum" in the search box.
Password: Freedom

It will show you all the famous people you are related to as well, so to refine the results, go to the left hand side of the screen and tick the box for LDS Freedom Forum. (On a phone you click on Groups at the top of the screen. It has a little arrow next to it.)
I am. 8th cousin to be specific.

The forum has been so quiet, I thought I would revive the thread.

Also, I see that BrianM is my 10th cousin.

There are only a couple of other names on list close enough to their forum names for me to recognize.

39 relatives total on the forum.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Michelle wrote: May 1st, 2018, 5:13 pm
Meili wrote: May 30th, 2016, 11:19 am If you want to know if you are related to any famous people, you can sign up for Relative Finder and it will tell you. If you are like me and don't care, you might try signing into the LDS Freedom Forum group instead so you can find out who is related to who on this site.

Go to: https://www.relativefinder.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sign in.
Go to "Groups" at the top right.
Click on "Join" in the drop down list.
Type in "LDS Freedom Forum" in the search box.
Password: Freedom

It will show you all the famous people you are related to as well, so to refine the results, go to the left hand side of the screen and tick the box for LDS Freedom Forum. (On a phone you click on Groups at the top of the screen. It has a little arrow next to it.)
I am. 8th cousin to be specific.

The forum has been so quiet, I thought I would revive the thread.

Also, I see that BrianM is my 10th cousin.

There are only a couple of other names on list close enough to their forum names for me to recognize.

39 relatives total on the forum.
This has been one of my favorite threads. Last I checked, I think my relatives list was over 60.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

CelestialAngel wrote: May 1st, 2018, 5:30 pm It says I'm 2nd cousins with Poseidon, God of the sea!
I'm so jealous.

True
captain of 100

Post by True »

Wyatt Earp, Jesse James, 38 US presidents, 20 constitution signers, 17 prophets, and pretty much a gazillion other famous people. Who knew? Looks like I’m 10th cousins with a lot of forum people. Same as I am with Barak Obama.