Patriarchal blessing at Arby's (tm)

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Patriarchal blessing at Arby's (tm)

Post by Original_Intent »

I had lunch at Arby's today. As I was munching on my Beef n' Cheddar (tm) I overheard snippets of conversation from a nearby table. I wasn't paying overly much attention, but I heard things like "He'll be a returned missionary." "He'll be well educated." in an older, monotonous voice.

This continued throughout my meal. When I heard "He'll be handsome." in this older, male voice I thought "Hmm, odd." As I got up to leave I saw that the conversation was between an older gentleman and a 8 or 9 year old cute little red-headed girl. I'm guessing the older guy was grandpa, as there was also a guy who looked to be late 30's who was probably her dad.

As I walked by, I heard the grandpa continue to the little girl with all the earnest seriousness of a prophetic announcement," The man you married will be successful, possibly a doctor." to which the little girl smiled and replied "That'd be nice!" First thing I had heard her say in probably the 15 minutes since I first started hearing the conversation.

I left just SMDH. The poor girl was completely being programmed, and with the pictures grandad was filling her head with, no doubt she'll end up divorced and disillusioned when the fairy-tale picture he was painting in her mind doesn't become a reality.

The most comical par, though was how serious grandpa took himself. You could tell by his tone and his manner that he felt that he was prophesying and/or giving a blessing. And all I overheard was good looks, returned missionary, well-educated, and successful. (*)

cyclOps
captain of 1,000

Re: Patriarchal blessing at Arby's (tm)

Post by cyclOps »

I'll stick with grandpa's prophecy for her rather than yours.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

OI - glad to see I am not the only one that observes conditions at the various shops I frequent. :)

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

LDScop wrote:I'll stick with grandpa's prophecy for her rather than yours.
I hope she marries a godly sanitation engineer. That they have enough for their needs, but not so much that they love their riches.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Obrien wrote:OI - glad to see I am not the only one that observes conditions at the various shops I frequent. :)
Haha, yes it was totally with your previous posts in mind that I posted this. :D

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

Original_Intent wrote:I had lunch at Arby's today. As I was munching on my Beef n' Cheddar (tm) I overheard snippets of conversation from a nearby table. I wasn't paying overly much attention, but I heard things like "He'll be a returned missionary." "He'll be well educated." in an older, monotonous voice.

This continued throughout my meal. When I heard "He'll be handsome." in this older, male voice I thought "Hmm, odd." As I got up to leave I saw that the conversation was between an older gentleman and a 8 or 9 year old cute little red-headed girl. I'm guessing the older guy was grandpa, as there was also a guy who looked to be late 30's who was probably her dad.

As I walked by, I heard the grandpa continue to the little girl with all the earnest seriousness of a prophetic announcement," The man you married will be successful, possibly a doctor." to which the little girl smiled and replied "That'd be nice!" First thing I had heard her say in probably the 15 minutes since I first started hearing the conversation.

I left just SMDH. The poor girl was completely being programmed, and with the pictures grandad was filling her head with, no doubt she'll end up divorced and disillusioned when the fairy-tale picture he was painting in her mind doesn't become a reality.

The most comical par, though was how serious grandpa took himself. You could tell by his tone and his manner that he felt that he was prophesying and/or giving a blessing. And all I overheard was good looks, returned missionary, well-educated, and successful. (*)
It's kind of too bad he didn't throw in that he'll be a GA, too, preferably Q12 or higher. Might as well aim high. :)
I like your attention to detail with the (tm) notations. I'll have to step it up a notch.

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Post by Sirocco »

Only thing I usually do at Arby's is cry

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

Sirocco wrote:Only thing I usually do at Arby's is cry
If that's the case, why go? Find a more peaceable place to eat. Veggie delight at Subway is nice, if you prefer a lunch without a recognizable soul.

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Post by Sirocco »

Obrien wrote:
Sirocco wrote:Only thing I usually do at Arby's is cry
If that's the case, why go? Find a more peaceable place to eat. Veggie delight at Subway is nice, if you prefer a lunch without a recognizable soul.
It was a joke, Arby's isn't all that common in Canada. I don't eat any fast food to be honest.

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

LDScop wrote:I'll stick with grandpa's prophecy for her rather than yours.

I've seen it many times.

Little girls raised as a princess. Grow up to be drama queens.

Sounds like a good one in the making

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

Awesome thread, OI. Did your grandpa in law take your wife to arbys when she was a little girl? I wonder what type of husband he wished for her. My wife's grandpa is probably rolling in his grave. By the way, I like Arbys too.

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

Well indended idiots.

That is all the world seems to be turning out anymore. Babylon seems to have perfected it's teaching methods to produce a very high ratio of them.

I was surprised to find out reasontly that Brigham young had a vision on his way to Utah with the church. He saw what the people of Enoch did. The patterns they followed to become as righteous as they were. And was promised that if we would put those same patterns in our life's we too would be like the people of Enoch.

Pretty powerful statement and thought. If we as a people had done those things we would be on the verge of exaltation.

One pattern of the people of Enoch was that they educated their youth in church run schools focusing on the gospel first and foremost.
Brigham young created those schools for the members.

They rejected them for the education of the world. Which was free education like the rest of the states had.
Seminary is a last ditch effort to curb the precept of man edu that the majority of the lds kids now receive.
And is it any surprise that we are facing the problems we face? The very elect are being deceived. I wonder what part of the wrong type of education we now send all students to is doing that???

Magus
captain of 100

Post by Magus »

Ezra wrote:Well indended idiots.

That is all the world seems to be turning out anymore. Babylon seems to have perfected it's teaching methods to produce a very high ratio of them.

I was surprised to find out reasontly that Brigham young had a vision on his way to Utah with the church. He saw what the people of Enoch did. The patterns they followed to become as righteous as they were. And was promised that if we would put those same patterns in our life's we too would be like the people of Enoch.

Pretty powerful statement and thought. If we as a people had done those things we would be on the verge of exaltation.

One pattern of the people of Enoch was that they educated their youth in church run schools focusing on the gospel first and foremost.

They rejected them for the education of the world. Which was free education like the rest of the states had.
Seminary is a last ditch effort to curb the precept of man edu that the majority of the lds kids now receive.
And is it any surprise that we are facing the problems we face? The very elect are being deceived. I wonder what part of the wrong type of education we now send all students to is doing that???
That's an interesting story. Would you have a link to it or any other details about it? I'd like to know more about the pattern BY saw.

I, myself, would be totally in favor of Church run schools, much the same way the Catholic Church has their own schools. (Looks like they got something right). As it is, we're already considering sending our kid to a Catholic high school when he gets old enough. Just too much depravity and brainwashing in regular schools. He's only 3, but he already goes to a Protestant run pre-school where they pray and teach basic Bible stories, etc.

light-one
captain of 100

Post by light-one »

Ezra wrote:Well indended idiots.

I read a book titled "Revealed Educational Principles" by Jack Monnett which tells of the United States government literally spending millions of dollars to finance schools other than LDS and to make it illegal for LDS schools to hire LDS teachers. The government's purpose was to ensure that truth was not taught. Brigham Young wanted truth taught but the government was ruthless.

The things children learn in school now do not even resemble the truth.

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

Nailed it. That book has all the sources. And go into great details.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

shadow wrote:Awesome thread, OI. Did your grandpa in law take your wife to arbys when she was a little girl? I wonder what type of husband he wished for her. My wife's grandpa is probably rolling in his grave. By the way, I like Arbys too.
Your point is well taken, and I think it's great that he wishes her all the best.

What I was taken aback by were two items: It wasn't expressed as well wishes, it was expressed as "This Shall Be".

And secondly the list of things that he wished upon her - well intentioned, sure, but such a reflection of the "Babylonian ideal".

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

I'm sure my parents wished I was a doctor.

They instead got a GED graduate who is about to retire and payed off his property and was out of debt years befor they were.