Boy Scouts and LDS to split?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Boy Scouts and LDS to split?

Post by rewcox »

Boy Scouts and LDS to split? Looks like it to me. That will hit the Boy Scouts in the wallet. They should give Gates a big raise for that one.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7656 ... hange.html

Benjamin_LK
captain of 1,000

Re: Boy Scouts and LDS to split?

Post by Benjamin_LK »

Sounds likely to me as well. I appreciate that the church tried to stay involved, but I am guessing that eventually there are just too many liabilities with staying in the organization. If the split happens, my guess is that possibly Trail Life might be sought after.

ebenezerarise
captain of 1,000

Post by ebenezerarise »

It is about freakin' time. The Church needs to develop a spiritually based program that focuses on boys all over the world.

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

In spite of a request to delay the vote, it was scheduled at a time in July when members of the Church's governing councils are out of their offices and do not meet. When the leadership of the Church resumes its regular schedule of meetings in August, the century-long association with Scouting will need to be examined.
The world will have wait until their vacation is over to find out what their decision will be.

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

Benjamin_LK wrote:Sounds likely to me as well. I appreciate that the church tried to stay involved, but I am guessing that eventually there are just too many liabilities with staying in the organization. If the split happens, my guess is that possibly Trail Life might be sought after.
I don't believe Trail Life is currently an option. They have stated that Mormon boys may join organized groups, but Mormon men may not be leaders. A faith statement is required to be signed, and it states a belief in the Trinity.

http://www.rawstory.com/2014/04/anti-ga ... d-mormons/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

Lizzy60 wrote:
Benjamin_LK wrote:Sounds likely to me as well. I appreciate that the church tried to stay involved, but I am guessing that eventually there are just too many liabilities with staying in the organization. If the split happens, my guess is that possibly Trail Life might be sought after.
I don't believe Trail Life is currently an option. They have stated that Mormon boys may join organized groups, but Mormon men may not be leaders. A faith statement is required to be signed, and it states a belief in the Trinity.

http://www.rawstory.com/2014/04/anti-ga ... d-mormons/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Why those little excluders!!! They have 25,000 boys.

Well, the Young Men of Distinction will have over 400,000 boys, we'll show them!

davedan
captain of 1,000

Post by davedan »

BSA SCOUT OATH: "On my honor, I will do my best, to do my duty to God and my country, to obey the scout law, to help other people at all times, to keep myself physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight."

Will BSA have to change the scout oath? Can you be homosexual and be "morally straight"?

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

Maybe the church will buy some of those soon to be vacant scout camps throughout Utah and Idaho. In Utah, it's typically the LDS scouters who also staff them.

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

shadow wrote:Maybe the church will buy some of those soon to be vacant scout camps throughout Utah and Idaho. In Utah, it's typically the LDS scouters who also staff them.
I bet the LDS Scouters will be looking for work tomorrow. Will the church buy all the scout camps?

Just in time for the September Call-Out. And I heard Lizzy60 is in our group!

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Post by Sirocco »

davedan wrote:BSA SCOUT OATH: "On my honor, I will do my best, to do my duty to God and my country, to obey the scout law, to help other people at all times, to keep myself physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight."

Will BSA have to change the scout oath? Can you be homosexual and be "morally straight"?
Ours is
On my honour, I promise that I will do my best
To do my duty to God and the Queen
To help other people at all times, And to carry out the spirit of the Scout Law.

IMO flows better.

markharr
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by markharr »

Tolerance is a one way street. Evil always demands it but never returns it.

The days of being a fence sitter are over. Neither side is going to accept A member of the LDS church who doesn't see homosexuality as immorality. The world will soon cast the church in the same light as the KKK. They won't accept a mormon who claims to support homosexualtiy any more then they would accept a member of the KKK who claims that they aren't racist. Many members who are more concerned with being accepted by the world then being obedient to the father will fall once the persecution starts.

samizdat
captain of 1,000

Post by samizdat »

ebenezerarise wrote:It is about freakin' time. The Church needs to develop a spiritually based program that focuses on boys all over the world.
We have that already. It is called Duty to God (albeit, the program would need to be extended a bit more to cover for the Scouting deficiency).

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

samizdat wrote:
ebenezerarise wrote:It is about freakin' time. The Church needs to develop a spiritually based program that focuses on boys all over the world.
We have that already. It is called Duty to God (albeit, the program would need to be extended a bit more to cover for the Scouting deficiency).
Young Men of Deseret!
image.jpg
image.jpg (22.85 KiB) Viewed 3589 times

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

9Nov1977
Daily Universe, BYU

Elder Maxwell Gives Warning

Elder Maxwell cited a proclamation given April 6, 1945, by the Twelve apostles, which stated that as the work of the Lord progresses and becomes more and more an object of political and religious interest, no kingdom, ruler or subject, no community or individual will be able to remain undecided.

All will be influenced by one spirit of the other and will then choose sides, Elder Maxwell said.

Elder Maxwell said the threatenings of the adversary should not surprise members of the church. (END QUOTE)

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

rewcox wrote:Boy Scouts and LDS to split?
I really hope the LDS Church will split from their association with the BSA. The Church can do their own scouting program just fine without the luciferian BSA.

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Post by Sirocco »

markharr wrote:Tolerance is a one way street. Evil always demands it but never returns it.

The days of being a fence sitter are over. Neither side is going to accept A member of the LDS church who doesn't see homosexuality as immorality. The world will soon cast the church in the same light as the KKK. They won't accept a mormon who claims to support homosexualtiy any more then they would accept a member of the KKK who claims that they aren't racist. Many members who are more concerned with being accepted by the world then being obedient to the father will fall once the persecution starts.
And it's sad, you can't have peace by exuding oppression and such to people.
I mean people I assume see it as revenge, which is a terrible way to go about things.

The ideal solution would be both co-existing in peace.
But the more both fight the more neither wants to co-exist.

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

Some ideas; Preparedness Scouts. Liberty Rangers. Army of Helaman.

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Post by Sirocco »

SmallFarm wrote:Some ideas; Preparedness Scouts. Liberty Rangers. Army of Helaman.
If I was a kid I'd consider joining something called "Army of Helaman"

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

This statement by the Church is insightful;
[/Statement from the LDS Church

"The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is deeply troubled by today's vote by the Boy Scouts of America National Executive Board. In spite of a request to delay the vote, it was scheduled at a time in July when members of the Church's governing councils are out of their offices and do not meet. When the leadership of the Church resumes its regular schedule of meetings in August, the century-long association with Scouting will need to be examined. The Church has always welcomed all boys to its Scouting units regardless of sexual orientation. However, the admission of openly gay leaders is inconsistent with the doctrines of the Church and what have traditionally been the values of the Boy Scouts of America.

As a global organization with members in 170 countries, the Church has long been evaluating the limitations that fully one-half of its youth face where Scouting is not available. Those worldwide needs combined with this vote by the BSA National Executive Board will be carefully reviewed by the leaders of the Church in the weeks ahead."
Yep, I anticipate a split based on this -- we should know in the next month or so.

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

BrianM wrote:
rewcox wrote:Boy Scouts and LDS to split?
I really hope the LDS Church will split from their association with the BSA. The Church can do their own scouting program just fine without the luciferian BSA.
Except for the fact that the church has never seen fit to create such a program anyplace where they have stopped using scouts.

Sunain
captain of 1,000

Post by Sunain »

Its unfortunate that a vote took place under those circumstances but it now seems inevitable that the church will split from the Boy Scouts. This will be particularly a hard decision for President Monson considering his past with the program. The church here in Canada and other places in the world have already run a youth Young Mens program from 14+ years of age that has nothing to do with Scouting so its possible that will finally be adapted in the USA.
Sirocco wrote:
davedan wrote:BSA SCOUT OATH: "On my honor, I will do my best, to do my duty to God and my country, to obey the scout law, to help other people at all times, to keep myself physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight."

Ours is
To help other people at all times, And to carry out the spirit of the Scout Law.

IMO flows better.
I still have the Canadian motto memorized:

On my Honour,
I promise that I will do my best,
To love and serve God,
My Queen, My country,
and my fellowmen,
and to live by the scout law.
Last edited by Sunain on July 27th, 2015, 10:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.

BTH&T
captain of 100

Post by BTH&T »

I feel the Young Men Program is all that's needed. Maybe a tweak or two. The separation of the good and evil is ongoing. Many choices are before us all.

"Now therefore fear the Lord, and serve him in sincerity and in truth: and put away the gods which your fathers served on the other side of the flood, and in Egypt; and serve ye the Lord. And if it seem evil unto you to serve the Lord, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:14-15

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Post by Sirocco »

I should use Army of Helaman in a book to describe a not scout, scout group...
thank you SmallFarm for that wonderful idea!

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Post by Sirocco »

Sunain wrote:Its unfortunate that a vote took place under those circumstances but it now seems inevitable that the church will split from the Boy Scouts. This will be particularly a hard decision for President Monson considering his past with the program. They church here in Canada and other places in the world have already run a youth Young Mens program from 14+ years of age that has nothing to do with Scouting so its possible that will finally be adapted in the USA.
Sirocco wrote:

Ours is

IMO flows better.
I still have the Canadian motto memorized:

On my Honour,
I promise that I will do my best,
To love and serve God,
My Queen, My country,
and my fellowmen,
and to live by the scout law.
Hmm, guess they changed it when I was a scout, when were you a scout?

idahommie
captain of 100

Post by idahommie »

I stopped donating to "Friends of Scouting" in 2013, and refused to re-enroll my Son in Scouts from that point on. I took a lot of heat over my belief, and I'm an Eagle Scout.