temple recommend question

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
barrattasu
Hi, I'm new.

temple recommend question

Post by barrattasu »

I have a temple recommend interview on Sunday and I am having a serious internal dilemma. I have asked several people who serve in a bishopric if I can have a temple recommend and believe that gay marriage should be legal. I even asked a counselor in my current bishopric. He said that the bishopric talked about this specific question and they would not give a recommend to anyone that admits to supporting gay marriage. I have a friend who is a counselor in another bishopric and he went to the Stake President with this question. HIs Stake President said that you absolutely could have a recommed and support gay marriage. I did clarify with those who said I couldn't have a recommend if I support gay marriage, that it was simply agreeing with gay marriage that makes me ineligble. They said to refer to the question that states do you sympothize or agree with any individual or group.... I told them that the question/answer form that was given along with the statement to be read said that a persons membership is not in question if they support gay marriage. They said this is true but you can't have a temple recommend. My feeling is that there will be enough confusion that the Church will further clarify this situation. Has anyone run into this before or heard anything in regards to this in there local ward/branch?

clairefromaus
captain of 10

Re: temple recommend question

Post by clairefromaus »

Read the family proclamation to the world that should clear things up for u

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Post by Sirocco »

barrattasu wrote:I have a temple recommend interview on Sunday and I am having a serious internal dilemma. I have asked several people who serve in a bishopric if I can have a temple recommend and believe that gay marriage should be legal. I even asked a counselor in my current bishopric. He said that the bishopric talked about this specific question and they would not give a recommend to anyone that admits to supporting gay marriage. I have a friend who is a counselor in another bishopric and he went to the Stake President with this question. HIs Stake President said that you absolutely could have a recommed and support gay marriage. I did clarify with those who said I couldn't have a recommend if I support gay marriage, that it was simply agreeing with gay marriage that makes me ineligble. They said to refer to the question that states do you sympothize or agree with any individual or group.... I told them that the question/answer form that was given along with the statement to be read said that a persons membership is not in question if they support gay marriage. They said this is true but you can't have a temple recommend. My feeling is that there will be enough confusion that the Church will further clarify this situation. Has anyone run into this before or heard anything in regards to this in there local ward/branch?
Isn't it like, if you preach things against the church or involve yourself with groups that do you can't? i have no idea.
That's what I heard round here and elsewhere, seems a bit of a grey area, curious what points of view people offer.

Rachael
Captain of whatever

Post by Rachael »

Just let your communication be yea,yea, nay, nay. Anymore than that cometh evil.

Dave62
destroyer of hopes & dreams

Post by Dave62 »

I think you have a degree of ambiguity here. Maybe you might agree that gay marriage should be legal on the grounds that you are a devout libertarian who believes that the government should have no control over marriage at all. That should not be a problem for an honest temple patron because that is a political issue. On the other hand, if you support gay marriage as a legitimate alternative to the revealed word of God as manifest in the Proclamation, then that might be a cause for issues.

The question asks "Do you support, affiliate with, or agree with any group or individual whose teachings or practices are contrary to or oppose those accepted by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?"

Once a month I give the main sermon at a small ecumenical community church. It is a little bit Pentecostal/Baptist/Charismatic. I preach from the Book of Mormon so as not to offend them with doctrine with which they are not familiar. Sometimes they preach things that are just a little bit contrary to the Gospel and the Spirit tells me such. But I love them. I have no problem answering the question above in the negative.

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

Someone holding the libertarian view on this can honestly answer "I do not believe in government sanctioned same sex marriage." And leave it at that and be completely honest in your answer.

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

Why go to the Temple to make covenants that are contrary to the laws you support? I've never understood this from gay marriage supporters. If the law of chastity is good enough to promise to obey it then why encourage others to live in opposition to it?

oneClimbs
captain of 1,000

Post by oneClimbs »

I think there is a distinction between the legal ramifications on one hand and the questions concerning same-sex attraction on the other.

Personally, I believe that anything outside of a man + woman in marriage falls outside of God's bounds. On the other hand, I believe that the government shouldn't be involved in marriage licensing at all. Politically, I am neither for or against homosexual marriage, personally, I would try to persuade people to pursue a male/female union.

I don't have an ounce of hatred or fear toward those who feel attracted to that lifestyle, but the lifestyle not something I support. I do not believe that the law should discriminate against them because of existing government involvement in marriage licensing, but I think the government's move here sets a dangerous precedent.

Remember hate crimes legislation to where the things you say could carry a penalty? Government redefining of marriage + hate crime legislation = the State telling the Churches what they can or cannot say or teach. Make no mistake, this whole thing isn't about gay marriage, it is about control.

Personally, I think this is about something much worse but I won't go into that here.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

The Plan of Salvation, The Family: A Proclamation to the World,
RESPONSE TO THE SUPREME COURT DECISION LEGALIZING SAME‐SEX MARRIAGE IN THE UNITED STATES
June 29, 2015
http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/t ... _xLIDyL2-1_" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Plus all Christian Doctrine from Jesus Christ is perfectly clear that sodomy, and all homosexual activity is an abomination to the Lord, is evil in practice and intent and is from Lucifer.

Why would anyone question that supporting such a lifestyle is evil.

Sunain
captain of 1,000

Post by Sunain »

10 years ago when this same issue occurred in Canada, it was made quite clear by my Stake Presidency that if a member supported or even just agreed with gay marriage, they were ineligible for a temple recommend. That hasn't changed since. I don't recall anyone complaining about that stance either.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Harry Reid has a temple recommend.

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

barrattasu wrote:I have a temple recommend interview on Sunday and I am having a serious internal dilemma.
You only have a dilemma if you choose to, or if there is more behind your question.

SSM is now the law of the land, so it doesn't matter if you agree or not.

The temple questions are yes/no, so you don't have to explain. You are being wise to consider the questions before your interview. Elizabeth posted the link to the church's response to the SCOTUS decision, you should read it.

If you disagree with the position of the church, and you want to be publicly vocal about it, then you have a dilemma.

Bishops or SP will not perform SSM. Church facilities will not be used for SSM. If a gay person is having sexual relations with the same sex, it is breaking the law of chastity.

sandman45
captain of 1,000

Post by sandman45 »

Fiannan wrote:Harry Reid has a temple recommend.
and he also did his home teaching.. or at least attempted to home teach my Grandparents. My grandmother would not let him in their condo and when my grandfather was alive he would let him in and they would get into some great discussions or should i say debates? lol

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

barrattasu wrote:I have a temple recommend interview on Sunday and I am having a serious internal dilemma.
There seems to be zero consistency with the Church on this topic - you'll get a different answer from everyone you talk to (including Bishops/stake presidents). Here are two more threads discussing this very thing - you may want to read through them. Good luck!

viewtopic.php?f=14&p=623342#p623342" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=39217&p=622071#p622071" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

I wouldn't issue you with a temple recommend in the circumstances.

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

Apostle D. Todd Christofferson would issue you a temple recommend, although he may disagree with you. At least, the Apostles as a group disagree with you.

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

Not that anyone has asked, but here is my humble opinion on the temple recommend interview. Pray about it, and ask God if He believes you are worthy of attending the temple. If you get a positive answer, if you feel that He wants you holding a temple recommend, and attending the temple, then remember that the interview is really between you and the Lord, and the PH holder conducting the interview is standing in for Him. Answer the questions with yes and no answers, the way the Bishop/SP expect you to answer, with no explanations, get the recommend and go on your merry way to the temple, with God's approbation.

If they later question your support of gay marriage, and threaten you with taking away your recommend, that's the time to pull out the Elder Christofferson interview.

light-one
captain of 100

Post by light-one »

I asked about this because a friend of mine actually saw Harry in the Temple. Personally, I do not think any democrat should be eligible. However, it is not my stewardship, so if they give out Recommends like candy, so be it. It is my understanding that Harry no longer has a Recommend. I do not know for sure because my source was not his Bishop or Stake President. However, my source was credible.

Zowieink
captain of 100

Post by Zowieink »

In my opinion, for what its worth, the supporting of gay marriage is irrelevant to the temple recommend. Look at Harry Reid. I would put many, many of his beliefs and actions as contrary to the questions for a temple recommend. If a person agrees and sympathizes with gay marriage and is heterosexual its just a political belief and should not be brought up in the interview. "Do you believe in gay marriage" is not on the list of approved questions. Its like asking, how many times do you and your wife have sex and do you perform any sex acts that you consider "impure" (read oral sex or whatever). Several decades ago, this was an actual topic in the temple recommend questions. The First Presidency eliminated that because it was to offensive to those being asked, so whatever happens in the bedroom between a husband and wife is their business. Same is true with this. The Bishop has NO right to withhold your temple recommend based on political philosophy. If you are gay and want to get married to another gay, that is problematic and is against the Law of Chastity, period. No discussion. In short, the handbook says to not ask any questions concerning political orientation, etc. and to stick to only those questions written in the handbook. The letter from the First Presidency also says its not an issue. So just answer the questions and when you get to the one about apostate groups, etc., political philosophy is not included in that question only polygamy, apostate groups (read Snuffer, etc.), etc. etc. etc. Should I have my recommend withheld because I believe in evolution? No, of course not.

deep water
captain of 1,000

Post by deep water »

Just say I do not support them in any unrighteouness. Then it is up to you to decide what is unrighteousness.

sandman45
captain of 1,000

Post by sandman45 »

light-one wrote:
Personally, I do not think any democrat should be eligible.
I also think that full fledged republican warmongers shouldn't be eligible ;)

sandman45
captain of 1,000

Post by sandman45 »

@ Zowieink

I dig your profile pic... is that from Baldurs Gate? :D

Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Col. Flagg »

My next door neighbor supports gay marriage and was given a recommend by our Bishop and SP.

Jeremy
captain of 1,000

Post by Jeremy »

Do you support, affiliate with, or agree with any group or individual whose teachings or practices are contrary to or oppose those accepted by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?
The question is something like that - correct?

Do you support, affiliate with or agree with the United States government?

Jeremy
captain of 1,000

Post by Jeremy »

gay marriage.jpg
gay marriage.jpg (47.28 KiB) Viewed 2380 times