Have you ever stopped to consider... (building others up instead of tearing them down)

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
creator
(of the Forum)

Have you ever stopped to consider... (building others up instead of tearing them down)

Post by creator »

Have you ever stopped to consider that what you write on this forum (and elsewhere) could potentially affect someone else for better or worse? What kind of influence do you want to be?

With that in mind, do you seek to tear others down or lift them up? If someone is lacking in their testimony (of Christ, the Church, the leaders, the Gospel, etc.) do you hope to say something that might inspire and help them or do you tend to criticize and tear them down for not believing the same as you do?

Is it not okay for others to have legitimate questions? Is it not okay for others to be part of the same religion as you yet believe differently? Is it not okay for someone to not have a testimony that Thomas S. Monson is a prophet? Is it not okay for someone to experience a crisis of faith? And so on..

Can't we step back from having to be "right" all the time and instead be a better example of Christ in our approach to discussing the Gospel - and be the disciple that He would want us to be.

It's sad and unfortunate to see so many people tearing others down when they should be doing all they can to testify of what they believe is true in a Christ-like, respectful manner that could serve to help them, teach them, edify them, and inspire them.

I'm not saying I'm the perfect example of these things (because I know I'm not), but I think we all need to be more aware of the power of words and how we might be affecting those around us with the things we write and say.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Have you ever stopped to consider... (building others up instead of tearing them down)

Post by Original_Intent »

Brian,

You have certainly tempered me somewhat and helped me to become more that way. I find myself becoming most frustrated with those who remind me too much of the old me. And the new me is nowhere near where I need to be.

Too many of us when we have graduated from primary feel that primary is now obsolete and needs to be disbanded, figuratively speaking.
Many of us fail to observe the debt of gratitude that we owe to our primary teachers - even though they may be honestly mistaken about some of the things they taught, they still gave us enough understanding to proceed.

Others of us feel that primary is all there is and all there ever should be. They label as apostate anyone who learns other things from other teachers that don't fit their current understanding.

Despite my metaphor, I don't feel that the church is something to be "graduated from" - at least not for me. I do feel that anyone who does not see themselves as Adam or Eve, or who seeks someone to preach to them or desires religion over true messengers is missing the point. Yes, a prophet may serve as a true messenger, however I don't believe God limits himself to only using the President of the Church as a true messenger. I also feel that all is not well in Zion, and to be blunt I think that includes not only the lay members but the leaders at all levels. But I support them, I love them, and I don't condemn them for their imperfections. The blanket of charity thing.

Kevin

Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Have you ever stopped to consider... (building others up instead of tearing them down)

Post by Robert Sinclair »

I hope all my posts, are done with others in mind who I seek to help and not harm, seeking to share with all of you, the things that I have seen written, after years and years, and years of listening and reading, all the scripture books I could find to see the light of Christ unto all peoples.

I did do a book report on all the words of Jesus Christ, many, many years ago, of all the things Jesus said to do, be and know, considering the Lord of the Old Testament was him as well, as his words to Enoch, and to the Angel Gabriel to give to Muhammad, so that my understanding might increase, and that I could see the wisdom imparted, where he has chosen to so impart.

Know that I do love every single one of you, to the best of my ability as a brother and a fellow servant, and can hardly wait, for Zion to be redeemed even now, as Jesus Christ has said it could be.

Then we can all gather together and rejoice and be glad, for the Lord has then promised great things for us all.

And thank you so much Brian for letting me onto your site, after so many years 20+ lost to ripvanwinkleizing because of feelings of despair, having committed to God to stay sober on the day of Atonement of 2012 and finding your site in 2014 to get much of these things that I had bottled up inside me out, without fear of physical harm to me, other than some rending, that I need to keep me ever aware, of what I may someday have to face, with a pure heart and forgiveness, and charity, of those who may wish to harm me or even kill me for the things I have to say. This site has helped me more than you know.♡

I do wish everyone goodwill and peace, to come soon. ♡

kgrigio
captain of 100

Post by kgrigio »

Brian, thanks for addressing this topic and reminding us all to watch what we say and how we say it. As one who doesn't post a lot because I don't want to come across as offensive and I really struggle to say what is in my heart and mind in a manner that won't be taken the wrong way, I have gotten more and more frustrated with how the TBM's are always deemed to be the only ones tearing down. At some point we must realize there are many whose only purpose in questioning is to stir the pot and not to truly find answers.

I am fine with differing opinions and working through others points of view and saying, we agree to disagree, but at some point we must recognize, like Christ did for those that were trying to lay traps for Him, that there are those whose sole purpose is to sew seeds of discord. The basic, fundamental beliefs of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ, as laid out by the COJCOLDS, should provide a big enough foundation of common beliefs. We may disagree with practice, procedure, culture, and even some points of doctrine, but to question vehemently, over and over, and over the need for a church, the need for keys, the need for prophets with the proper authority, the need for keeping false doctrine from entering the church at large via correlation, etc... smakes not of sincer questions, but of deliberately trying to tear down people's testimonies in what we believe is Christ's organization here on the earth.

I hope this makes sense and I hope you understand some of the frustrations of those of us deemed TBMs. Could we be nicer? Yes, but at some point we also need to stand up and declare what we believe to be the truth, what we believe to be the knowledge we have received from the Holy Ghost and Christ himself.

Thanks for trying to corral all of us.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

Yes, some people do come in with an agenda.. and others are simply asking sincere questions - and we should not be quick to judge their intentions. The ones who are not sincere usually eventually make it obvious.

kgrigio
captain of 100

Post by kgrigio »

My observation, and I think most TBMs on this site will agree is that when it is obvious to us that someone isn't sincere and has an agenda, that these folks aren't being dealt with so it is up to us to declare what we believe is the truth, according to Christ's and the church's teaching. it seems we are then deemed to be the ones tearing down and those "asking the question" are sincere seekers of truth.

Brian, I know you are always in a tough spot and it doesn't seem like you can ever win, I just appreciate what the forum has done for me over the years. I haven't liked the direction over the last couple of years, but I do feel my testimony of Christ and his church are much stronger. I feel that the site has prepared me for discussing with people face to face their sincere doubts and concerns, but it has also made me better see the wolfs in sheets clothing as well. Unfortunately I don't engage a lot in the debates on the forum because I struggle to say what I really want to say in a non offensive manner, and it rarely works, or is taken the wrong way.

Keep up the good work.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Thanks for a needed reminder, Brian.
A guy had a spiritual experience where he became aware of how loving one another is so important and how the way we comunicate to one another is much more influential than superficially apparant - and is one of the most spiritually significant ripple effects.

I also can relate with Kevin in the need to be grateful and honor the need for earlier parts of a spiritual journey. I need to work on that and loving better through words. Honesty is important too, but I think it is best when harmonized with compassion.

KFarber
captain of 50

Post by KFarber »

We are responsible for not only what we say but also what we think. Thoughts are things and turn into actions, words....that build and can foster charity for others, putting other's first in as many ways as possible brings growth. In the end if we don't have charity (loving like Christ loves) it's all for not. It matters not how much we know, how much we study and spout our opinions. But the affect we have on people lasts. We can make this a better place or make it a darker place, accepting people where they are and loving and forgiving them in all their weakness brings the same charity to ourselves.

diligently seeking
captain of 1,000

Post by diligently seeking »

an unmatchable joyus gift is charity.

In President Ezra Taft Benson's thus saith the Lord talk on "beware of pride" he mentions multiple times that the great stumbling block to zion is pride. He states that the heart and core of pride is ENMITY = to have hatred, hostility, or to be in a state of opposition toward god and MAN". E.T.B. states that this is the POWER which Satan wishes to RULE over us"..... I endorse and desire on this forum and in all my walk and talk in life to live to eradicate the daming affects of ENMITY and to be filled with the pure love of Christ *CHARITY.

when the building of true charity in our lives becomes paramount like it was for Ammon and his brothers--we don't recoil and flee from our interactions with one another. To the contrary! we are in the mix desiring with a glorious feeling of love that transcends this fallen (pride/enmity filled) human experiance.. like Ammon and his brothers, we don't shun worth while endeavors/"the fight" Christ and his perfect love casts out our fear, and we go forward with faith affirming people in their divine strength and potential building on common ground resulting In inspiring others to higher ground!

What a grand gift is Charity--..... to think no evil to rejoice not in iniquity to believe all things to hope and affirm all things... that are praiseworthy lovely and of good report in others and in lifes circumstances.... I always want clear and true discernment that comes from the sweet grace of building/growing Charity in my life. (Such is a true realist!) We should want to be bold and successful like Ammon and his brothers who were always in the mix with family, friends and even hard hearted enimies.

Because they gave themselves to the Lord, they found themselves in the Lord! That we all might be found/saved in and through the Lord Jesus Christ--quickened and made alive in our Savior in this vale of sorrow because we eschewd the daming (zion stumbling block) affects of enmity and hold fast to that which is good above all through :) Charity :) is my hope and prayer. (whose power and influence will we let dictate in our life?) Love and hope for us all, JaredB
Last edited by diligently seeking on June 25th, 2015, 9:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mindfields
captain of 1,000

Post by Mindfields »

“Perhaps the greatest charity comes when we are kind to each other, when we don't judge or categorize someone else, when we simply give each other the benefit of the doubt or remain quiet. Charity is accepting someone's differences, weaknesses, and shortcomings; having patience with someone who has let us down; or resisting the impulse to become offended when someone doesn't handle something the way we might have hoped. Charity is refusing to take advantage of another's weakness and being willing to forgive someone who has hurt us. Charity is expecting the best of each other.

None of us need one more person bashing or pointing out where we have failed or fallen short. Most of us are already well aware of the areas in which we are weak. What each of us does need is family, friends, employers, and brothers and sisters who support us, who have the patience to teach us, who believe in us, and who believe we're trying to do the best we can, in spite of our weaknesses. What ever happened to giving each other the benefit of the doubt? What ever happened to hoping that another person would succeed or achieve? What ever happened to rooting for each other?”

― Marvin J. Ashton

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

Last evening Bill Norton gave a fine presentation that I think applies to this topic last evening at the Burke Basic School in Mesa, Arizona. I think the best I can do is this bit of plagiarism:

SPEAKING THE LANGUAGE OF LIBERTY: If you leave your audience (be it one person or thousands) with the following characteristics, you are speaking the Language of Liberty:

Selfless
Positive
Optimistic
Forward Thinking
Hopeful
Enlightening
Empowering
Enabling
Vision
Happiness
Motivating
Protecting
Maintaining
Perpetuating
Defending
Informing
Uniting
Inclusive
Above All, Love

SPEAKING THE LANGUAGE OF CAPTIVITY: If you leave your audience (be it one person or thousands) with the following characteristics, you are speaking the language of Captivity:

Contrarian
Contention
Destructive
Limiting
Oppressive
Fear
Dooms Day
Hopeless
Suppression
Selfish Attack
Manipulative
Divisive
War
Conflict
Confusion
Lonely
Contempt

This was not what I expected, even after talking with him last Sunday about this presentation. I guess I expected something of a reminder of our sacred duty to honour the US Constitution and to honour freedom in the "Language of Captivity", in other words a good chewing out for our having neglected that duty to the extent that we have. (and I think you'll agree I needed this message as much as anybody)

I first became acquainted with Bill Norton by attending one of his 8 hour seminars based on the book by Dr. W. Cleon Skousen, THE 5000 YEAR LEAP, later at a MAKING OF AMERICA seminar, which are still given 2X/year at the Heritage Academy in Mesa (and which he has given in 40 different states), and also at a couple of other presentations he has given in this area.

Cookies
captain of 100

Post by Cookies »

=)) That was beautiful!

KFarber
captain of 50

Post by KFarber »

Mindfields wrote:“Perhaps the greatest charity comes when we are kind to each other, when we don't judge or categorize someone else, when we simply give each other the benefit of the doubt or remain quiet. Charity is accepting someone's differences, weaknesses, and shortcomings; having patience with someone who has let us down; or resisting the impulse to become offended when someone doesn't handle something the way we might have hoped. Charity is refusing to take advantage of another's weakness and being willing to forgive someone who has hurt us. Charity is expecting the best of each other.

None of us need one more person bashing or pointing out where we have failed or fallen short. Most of us are already well aware of the areas in which we are weak. What each of us does need is family, friends, employers, and brothers and sisters who support us, who have the patience to teach us, who believe in us, and who believe we're trying to do the best we can, in spite of our weaknesses. What ever happened to giving each other the benefit of the doubt? What ever happened to hoping that another person would succeed or achieve? What ever happened to rooting for each other?”

― Marvin J. Ashton
Elder Ashton, I believe had soooo much figured out. Years ago my dad and I memorized a quote of his about unconditional love. I so appreciate what you shared. Thank you Mindfields

Simon
captain of 1,000

Post by Simon »

Brian, thanks so much for your words.

I feel the only thing that is always right is to truely respect our differences in beliefe, and still be one. Too often we just react upon things people said that we feel are false, why not just act upon the truth to live according to our consiounce instead, and let live according to other peoples consiounce. I love discussing differences in a spirit of respect, for I find we learn most out of it, and that without any need to hurt or offend. This, to me, is more proove of being one than merely to group with people that share the same interests and beliefes.

gnolaum
captain of 50

Post by gnolaum »

KFarber wrote:
Mindfields wrote:“Perhaps the greatest charity comes when we are kind to each other, when we don't judge or categorize someone else, when we simply give each other the benefit of the doubt or remain quiet. Charity is accepting someone's differences, weaknesses, and shortcomings; having patience with someone who has let us down; or resisting the impulse to become offended when someone doesn't handle something the way we might have hoped. Charity is refusing to take advantage of another's weakness and being willing to forgive someone who has hurt us. Charity is expecting the best of each other.

― Marvin J. Ashton
Elder Ashton, I believe had soooo much figured out. Years ago my dad and I memorized a quote of his about unconditional love. I so appreciate what you shared. Thank you Mindfields
I love that you quoted Elder Ashton here.

The fact is we are all severely broken regardless of how perfect we 'believe' we are. I know, even the prophet would tell you that he is broken. I know it can sound trite in light of WWJD, but I have lately tried to ask myself, what would my Master say to this or that person. The truth is He loves them and sees them in a better light than we are able. If we can ask ourselves that question and respond in kind, everyone will be better for it. I am certainly not perfect at this and have failed miserably in the past, but the Lord cares not about the past, but about what's in our heart right now. I endeavor to be kind like Him. Please help remind me of this if I post out of turn.

Simon
captain of 1,000

Post by Simon »

Lets challange ourselves to return every offense of the coming week with something good. I would love to hear the experiences we all will make with this.Mayby we can even continue to do so longer than a week.

It worked quite well once on my mission, where a men shouted at me, and I respondet quitely. A few minutes after the event, he retuned and apologized for his behaviour. This is just one of many examples where it truely worked. There is great power in being forgiving and kind (:

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ
Location: Staring at my computer, not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Post by A Random Phrase »

You (generally speaking) feel guiltier if they've responded kindly. If they shout right back, you feel justified.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

People have often justified their violation of forum rules (i.e. being unkind to others) because the person they were responding to was "wrong" about something.

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Post by Sirocco »

BrianM wrote:People have often justified their violation of forum rules (i.e. being unkind to others) because the person they were responding to was "wrong" about something.
It's amazing how people will hold up rules if someone is rude to them but will toss them out the window when rude towards someone else.

BurningSword
captain of 100

Post by BurningSword »

BrianM wrote:Have you ever stopped to consider that what you write on this forum (and elsewhere) could potentially affect someone else for better or worse? What kind of influence do you want to be?

With that in mind, do you seek to tear others down or lift them up? If someone is lacking in their testimony (of Christ, the Church, the leaders, the Gospel, etc.) do you hope to say something that might inspire and help them or do you tend to criticize and tear them down for not believing the same as you do?

Is it not okay for others to have legitimate questions? Is it not okay for others to be part of the same religion as you yet believe differently? Is it not okay for someone to not have a testimony that Thomas S. Monson is a prophet? Is it not okay for someone to experience a crisis of faith? And so on..

Can't we step back from having to be "right" all the time and instead be a better example of Christ in our approach to discussing the Gospel - and be the disciple that He would want us to be.

It's sad and unfortunate to see so many people tearing others down when they should be doing all they can to testify of what they believe is true in a Christ-like, respectful manner that could serve to help them, teach them, edify them, and inspire them.

I'm not saying I'm the perfect example of these things (because I know I'm not), but I think we all need to be more aware of the power of words and how we might be affecting those around us with the things we write and say.
You show wisdom, every word a person says, writes or acts upon is taken into account in the judgement and people are held account for effects those words have on others. Your statement about helping others by building them up is wise, for it is said speak always in kindness if seek to follow after Christ, for even in His words of chastisement was He kind and done in good intention. Look only to the Son of God whom is your Father to be, and give worship unto Him and see thine fellow brethren as brothers but worship nor idolise them not, for if they accept thine worship and idolising of them they are held accountable by God, for even Angels in all their might accept not worship from man. Know the leaders of the LDS church are inspired men given revelation at times but also men that can error so discern always through the spirit of truth what is spoken if it cometh from God or the man whom speaks it, Joseph smith said that if the words of a prophet do error then they come not true and this be how one discerns what is from God and is from the prophets own mind.

Blessed Thou BrianM for making a forum that be open to allow the thoughts of men and questions outside the doctrines of the church to be aloud to be explored, for it is unwise for one to follow without discernment for even so Joseph smith said the LDS church is the most correct church out of all the churches of the world, behold he did not say the LDS church is entirely correct but said the most correct for even he knew their would be errors along the way by men and even he knew he had error also remember much of the gospel was not permitted to be revealed due to the lost manuscripts.

ChowMein
captain of 10

Post by ChowMein »

As a person that is looking into the LDS faith and probably will join, I see a lot of arant people that have no problem in putting others down in any respect. It is a bad social trait that I sadly see often. A friend of mine lives in Centerville, UT. It was not really worth it for him to be polite to some of his LDS neighbors because they were the type that did instruct their kids to play with the non-member kids!!! How freakin rude and beyond unchristlike.

I realize that is the act of an ignorant person and not taught by the LDS faith. However, my friend hates (yup) you guys for making his kids have a less than fun experience. They hassel them in school, they are treated an sub-units in their own society and given dirty looks. (picture Segregation) . Lift yourselves and stop with some of the self serving junk that you do to impress yourself, with yourself. Now, I say again, these social acts are not the acts that is sanctioned by the LDS faith, however, it exists in a dominant position within your LDS social structure and is done openly. @-) 8-| oh brother...

As the original post brings out, reach out to others in kindness. You will grow more than you think. If your motivation is to convert them, stop, go home and do not proceed. They will know it and you are not being a sincere person. Reach out to others because you care. Not the fake "loaf of bread on a BOM plate to your neighbors", kindness, but help a guy work on his car, and leave religion out of it. They know you are LDS. After you guys feel comfortable with each other, ask them out to a bowling game and split the tab...(let them know of splitting before you leave). Say "Hey, ya wanna go out to a self treat bowling game, we will split the tab"? The fakery that you guys have done (good hearted but fake) is what you are known and disliked for world wide. No rudeness intended, just a personal observation of mine and my friends as well.

Your social structure, your family units, your going to Church and standing strong on what you feel speaks better and louder than the previously mentioned bread on a book. What impresses me with your Church is that while most young men and ladies are out doing drugs, each other and not working your youth is serving missions by in large. Even if they do not go on a Mission I have more respect for them than someone that is hanging on the corner not leading a proficient, efficient and productive life. Wanna lift your life? .... Tell someone goodmorning. Tell a neighbor that you are going to the store at 11:00am and would they like to accompany you. Get to know your neighbor by being genuinely nice... and non judgemental. They do not want to hear it. If they are interested they will come to you, but you cannot gush and rush to cry and...bear your testimony.

Since I work on the internet I just might write an ebook on this... from the outsiders view. No harm intended as I am getting close to "hitchin' up with you guys". :) However, these observations are from what I have experienced.;) Now, this and a quarter'll getcha five nickels. :) hahaha

Asta la pasta, adios
Chow Mein

Bee Prepared
captain of 1,000

Post by Bee Prepared »

ChowMein wrote:As a person that is looking into the LDS faith and probably will join, I see a lot of arant people that have no problem in putting others down in any respect. It is a bad social trait that I sadly see often. A friend of mine lives in Centerville, UT. It was not really worth it for him to be polite to some of his LDS neighbors because they were the type that did instruct their kids to play with the non-member kids!!! How freakin rude and beyond unchristlike.

I realize that is the act of an ignorant person and not taught by the LDS faith. However, my friend hates (yup) you guys for making his kids have a less than fun experience. They hassel them in school, they are treated an sub-units in their own society and given dirty looks. (picture Segregation) . Lift yourselves and stop with some of the self serving junk that you do to impress yourself, with yourself. Now, I say again, these social acts are not the acts that is sanctioned by the LDS faith, however, it exists in a dominant position within your LDS social structure and is done openly. @-) 8-| oh brother...

As the original post brings out, reach out to others in kindness. You will grow more than you think. If your motivation is to convert them, stop, go home and do not proceed. They will know it and you are not being a sincere person. Reach out to others because you care. Not the fake "loaf of bread on a BOM plate to your neighbors", kindness, but help a guy work on his car, and leave religion out of it. They know you are LDS. After you guys feel comfortable with each other, ask them out to a bowling game and split the tab...(let them know of splitting before you leave). Say "Hey, ya wanna go out to a self treat bowling game, we will split the tab"? The fakery that you guys have done (good hearted but fake) is what you are known and disliked for world wide. No rudeness intended, just a personal observation of mine and my friends as well.

Your social structure, your family units, your going to Church and standing strong on what you feel speaks better and louder than the previously mentioned bread on a book. What impresses me with your Church is that while most young men and ladies are out doing drugs, each other and not working your youth is serving missions by in large. Even if they do not go on a Mission I have more respect for them than someone that is hanging on the corner not leading a proficient, efficient and productive life. Wanna lift your life? .... Tell someone goodmorning. Tell a neighbor that you are going to the store at 11:00am and would they like to accompany you. Get to know your neighbor by being genuinely nice... and non judgemental. They do not want to hear it. If they are interested they will come to you, but you cannot gush and rush to cry and...bear your testimony.

Since I work on the internet I just might write an ebook on this... from the outsiders view. No harm intended as I am getting close to "hitchin' up with you guys". :) However, these observations are from what I have experienced.;) Now, this and a quarter'll getcha five nickels. :) hahaha

Asta la pasta, adios
Chow Mein
Chow Mein,

I like the " Asta La pasta," haha.

You are doing the right thing in joining the Church Of Jesus Christ. I apologize for we Mormon's who get haughty. The Church has refined itself quite a bit in the last few years. I have two grandson's on missions, yes, I speak of that often and I am very pleased with their choice. Isn't it amazing how the Lord gets ahold of these 18 year old young men, and they serve missions because of love for the Lord and His gospel? I was sitting at a restaurant recently and a big group of missionaries came in, all I could think about was " They are the Lord's army, seeking to bring the world his truth."

People are so different in so many ways. I have found in every aspect of life you will find people who just plain rub you the wrong way. I am an ordinance worker in the Temple, and if you think they check their personalities at the door, you are wrong. Its just people being people. Some are in-secure, some are prideful, all things the natural man fights with, there's no getting away from it in an imperfect world. I pray you will not let these people deter you, sometimes when you need the armor of God the most is when you enter the church. We try to build up the kingdom of God in spite of our flaws. Please forgive us. Please forgive me.

Fullofaloha
Hi, I'm new.

Post by Fullofaloha »

I have a tendency to be cheeky. :)