Exercise Music?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Exercise Music?

Post by Fiannan »

does it mean you're old if the names of songs and artists are completely unknown to you? I must be old.
No, most are European. Aside from groups like Evanescence I have become bored with US music. The internet opens up a lot of great options. :)

Besides, I have heard of 70+ year olds who are into heavy metal so age is a state of mind in many ways.

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

Fiannan wrote:
does it mean you're old if the names of songs and artists are completely unknown to you? I must be old.
No, most are European. Aside from groups like Evanescence I have become bored with US music. The internet opens up a lot of great options. :)

Besides, I have heard of 70+ year olds who are into heavy metal so age is a state of mind in many ways.
Age is a state of mind and the music follows

Infant = modern pop
Adolescent = country
Puberty= heavy metal/ screamo
Teenage=Rap crap
Adult=big hair band butt rock
Middle aged=soft rock
Old dude= classic oldies Beatles.
Celetial being= Indy rock stuff I now listen too.

Lol.

This was meant to get a laugh.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

SempiternalHarbinger,
Awesome clip - good music and informative.

CoachMarc,
It's cool to see and hear you... good voice - do you sing?
Burpees are a killer!
Now, (besides other classes/jog/walk) I generally do a short routine every morning (200 crunches, 100 of each of but & leg exercises, then I do small arm weights while balance/leg lifts.)
Maybe I'll start incorporating burpees - or do you have any other suggestions?

passionflower
captain of 1,000

Post by passionflower »

-delete-
Last edited by passionflower on February 17th, 2017, 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

PassionFlower,
I don't listen to heavy metal or hard rap or related music & agree that music has profound influence on us (I heard of that plant study too).

Still, I wouldn't condemn someone for listening to it.
There are times when I feel angry and the best way to calm down is to listen to music that empathizes with how I feel - (ie:The fray/over my head or Mumford & Sons/Little Lion man).

I never understood how anyone could listen to the exact same style of music all of the time. We don't feel just one emotion - but thousands!
Still, classical music does seem to generally have a higher energy. Some classical is good as backround music for studying and some is good just to focus on all of the sounds and emotions inspired.

chemish
captain of 100

Post by chemish »

INTERVALS // SIREN SOUND // OFFICIAL MUSIC VIDEO: http://youtu.be/UmZOwoBbxiw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think diet soda will kill you faster than heavy metal, geez people

passionflower
captain of 1,000

Post by passionflower »

Thinker wrote:PassionFlower,
I don't listen to heavy metal or hard rap or related music & agree that music has profound influence on us (I heard of that plant study too).

Still, I wouldn't condemn someone for listening to it.
There are times when I feel angry and the best way to calm down is to listen to music that empathizes with how I feel - (ie:The fray/over my head or Mumford & Sons/Little Lion man).

I never understood how anyone could listen to the exact same style of music all of the time. We don't feel just one emotion - but thousands!
Still, classical music does seem to generally have a higher energy. Some classical is good as backround music for studying and some is good just to focus on all of the sounds and emotions inspired.
-delete-
Last edited by passionflower on February 17th, 2017, 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Thinker wrote:CoachMarc,
It's cool to see and hear you... good voice - do you sing?
Burpees are a killer!
Now, (besides other classes/jog/walk) I generally do a short routine every morning (200 crunches, 100 of each of but & leg exercises, then I do small arm weights while balance/leg lifts.)
Maybe I'll start incorporating burpees - or do you have any other suggestions?
I've sung in choirs and I like to sing in church and when I'm alone in the car or sometimes in the shower. :D

Burpees are a killer. I've done thousands in my life. I went on a burpee spree years ago where I did 100 every day as a side thing (25x4) for a year or so. It's an excellent conditioner. I can't really make any suggestions for you without knowing your fitness goals.

notjamesbond003.5
captain of 1,000

Post by notjamesbond003.5 »

I favor spandeu ballet for more intense workouts.

Njb

Bee Prepared
captain of 1,000

Post by Bee Prepared »

( Sorry THINKER, I have the worst time being serious)

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

passionflower wrote:It is not that music can't be therapeutic (as you were saying). Hymn singing is known as an antidote to sinful thoughts, for instance.
You remind me of the first time I went skiing...
My friend forgot to tell me how to slow down or stop (plow) and as I stumbled down the mountain, to keep me from any more cussing, he helped me sing primary songs down the slope. :D
Classical music is a music of thousands of emotions. I can listen to the same composition over and over again and still get something new out of it each time. And each individual musician adds his own interpretation as well. This type of music is definately a full meal, not just potatoes and gravy or dessert. It transcends time, fashion, fads, and even politics. And it is great to walk or exercise to.
I agree! There's a reason why it's called classical!
I haven't tried exercising to it, what would you recommend? Beethoven?
You know, Thinker, now that I am in a conversation with you, I have always wanted to ask you about this subject about "cognizance" you often bring up. It is obviously something that is behind much of what you say on this forum. But I have never gotten the whole picture of what you mean by it. I am curious about this. Is this a philosophy or yours, a science, or both?
Several years ago, I briefly went to a therapist for depression.
I didn't see the therapy as very helpful and asked if there were some information she had how I could train myself to feel better. She handed me a list of cognitive distortions. Years went by with little attention, until I started wrestling with depression and anxiety and was much more interested in deep healing. I thought of the list and started learning them - I've got a list posted on our fridge to teach my kids. Many of them are not just psychological but also philosophical (logical fallacies learned for law/debate).
I started a thread a while back... viewtopic.php?t=29125" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

coachmarc wrote:I've sung in choirs and I like to sing in church and when I'm alone in the car or sometimes in the shower. :D
:) Somehow I think everyone sounds better in the shower. Do you ever get caught rocking out - when you drive up to a light? It's a good test in not worrying what others think about you. Better yet, next time you take a car load of people try it. lol
Burpees are a killer. I've done thousands in my life. I went on a burpee spree years ago where I did 100 every day as a side thing (25x4) for a year or so. It's an excellent conditioner. I can't really make any suggestions for you without knowing your fitness goals.
That's a lot of burpees - it would take me a while to work up to 100.
Though, I really like the idea of breaks in between - it's much more reasonable.
Goals - I want to have more energy and work on my core.
(And I've got to stop munching on Christmas chocolate.)

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Thinker wrote:
coachmarc wrote:I've sung in choirs and I like to sing in church and when I'm alone in the car or sometimes in the shower. :D
:) Somehow I think everyone sounds better in the shower. Do you ever get caught rocking out - when you drive up to a light? It's a good test in not worrying what others think about you. Better yet, next time you take a car load of people try it. lol
That's a lot of burpees - it would take me a while to work up to 100.
Though, I really like the idea of breaks in between - it's much more reasonable.
Goals - I want to have more energy and work on my core.
(And I've got to stop munching on Christmas chocolate.)
I sung in the mens choir at the priesthood session of general conference about ten years ago. Anyway, if you want to clean up your diet, stick to lean meats and veggies. 45 minutes of sweat inducing conditioning per day will be all you really need to keep your body in decent shape.

passionflower
captain of 1,000

Post by passionflower »

Muerte Rosa wrote:
passionflower wrote:Wow, if anything is going to give you "cognitive dissonance" as you say, Thinker, it is hard rock and heavy metal music, especially while you are exercising! I thought by now everyone knew that rock music of any kind, but especially hard rock, is very bad for your nervous system, and has been known to kill plants. Haven't you seen the photos of water molecules after they have been around rock music? Pretty abnormal, and our bodies are 75% or more water, aren't they?

I was an aspiring ballerina when young ( a VERY aerobic activity) and got used to exercising(dancing) for hours to classical music, and I still do it to this day. Unlike rock and roll, classical music (most) calms and orders the brain and makes your water molecules are happy, too. I have also heard it can raise your IQ(some people play it for babies and children all the time for this reason as well as others) Seems like if I want to exercise, I am trying to be healthy. Why screw up other parts of my body in an effort to stimulate me to " action". That seems very unnatural.

Actually when I'm really mad..i listen to metal. The harder and faster the better. Makes me feel better. Calms me down. Listening to elevator music or Taylor swift gives me anxiety.
My point is music effects everyone differently.
-delete-
Last edited by passionflower on February 17th, 2017, 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

PassionFlower,
Although ideally, we are all equipped with healthy thoughts and can easily correct our thinking to feel better... the reality is that we aren't perfect and need coping methods, like exercise, music, friends etc... to help us get back on track.

BTW - Regarding OP:
Thinker wrote:As my kids quote when they're being silly, "We're here to pump you up!" :D
Please forgive me for not previously putting the credible reference for this amazing quote. :D
SNL (when it had more class and humor)...
https://screen.yahoo.com/pumping-hans-f ... 00067.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

passionflower
captain of 1,000

Post by passionflower »

-delete-
Last edited by passionflower on February 17th, 2017, 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

PassionFlower, :ymhug:
I can relate with being hard on yourself.
Another thing to look into are "life traps/schemas."
They are basically coping methods we learned as children but as adults they can often be counterproductive.
I've got several and realized how each was supported by cognitive distortions and can build on each other.

Ie: The most obvious or superficially expressed life trap I've had since childhood is "self-sacrifice." Of course it's good (and even necessary as a parent) to sacrifice one's desires for others, but I took it way past healthy, where it was hurting me physically, emotionally & spiritually. Behind that lifetrap (for me) is "punitiveness" a then behind that is a sense of "defectiveness" and then behind that (for me) is "emotional deprivation." As a child I used to rock and even hit myself when I did (among other signs of neglect). No parents are perfect & I realize compared to my parents' upbringing, they did what they knew. I don't want to get stuck in blame, but it's also good to realize my sense of defectiveness was not inherent in me - no parents are perfect.

Coping methods are what we do every day. Breathing, especially deep breathing is not only healthy but absoltuely necessary for life. Why do you post on this forum? I imagine it is a type of coping method. Why pray or read uplifting words or watch uplifting movies? Ways of coping. Anything good in moderation. One of my best friends in college was addicted to exercise & Lol I'd go exercise with her outside in the rain in the middle of the night... She realized it was too much (along with food/body image issue she had).

It does seem that life is like riding a bicycle - to regularly check balance you gotta keep moving and not fixate too much on anything - not even healthy coping methods.

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

ive spent the last 12 years working wilderness youth programs. The main focus is to help the teens get better. In what ever is going on with them.

1 program I worked at focused on teaching coping skills To the kids

1 program I worked at focused on being positive with the kids looking for and pointing out their positives.

Which one do you think would worked better?

The positives.

Coping skills are a joke. there are certain sets of copying skills that each person has. And with those skills there are negatives. When one set dosent work people drop one set and take up another. This might work better but still has negatives.
They are like moden drugs you hear on the tv commercials. With a long list of side effects after.
Blows me away that anyone would take them with all the possible side effects but to have that chance of being better some do.

It's the same with coping skills. To me it's a joke. You don't need to "deal" with it. It's not the leaves of the tree that are the problem. It's the root. Coping skills try to fix the branch or the leaves. Correct thinking fixes the root.
As long as you think you have to "deal" with life. Your stuck. You have to think a diffent way. In other words. if your way of thinking created the problem continuing to think isant going to solve it. You have to fix the thinking.
This happens by as having "no mind" meditation to quieting the mind. Be in the moment. Only with a quiet mind can the spirit councel you. And that is true knowledge. There is no copying skills involed just knowledge in that process.
Teaching yourself to always be in that state takes practice. The more and more you can get into it the closer you are to where you are "praying always." As your mind is always open to the spirit because it's not full of it's own insane and repetitive thinking.

Super deep topic. I barley scratched the surface. But if you find a desire to want this in your life and want more info pm me as it would take a lot of thumb time to explain it in the detail I would need on here.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Ezra,
I've also worked in residential youth programs.
I learned that they need a good balance of structure/discipline and to know you care. The first time I started out with a big group and was very strict. I even disciplined farting lol because we were often in close quarters. But I was too strict- and I realized when I went to a church activity and felt like telling everyone to be quiet. Some of the kids confronted me with my strictness and I actually broke down and cried and explained to them that I really cared about them and I explained how I believed in them, even the one who spit in my face. Before I left/moved, they threw a little surprise party for me and signed this song I taught them (True Colors). It was a difficult job - but that helped make it worth it.

As far as coping methods, I think you & I are defining them differently. I consider coping as living! What is the alternative? :D Seriously, you either cope with living in healthy ways or unhealthy ways. If you refuse to cope (don't eat or take care of yourself), you die. We have a variety of emotions and stresses - (opposition in all things) - so you either cope/manage it, or it beats you.

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

Living is living. Coping would be dealing with junk in the way. That junk in the way is only junk because we choose to judge and define, lable it as junk. There are many diffrent degrees of living. From a low level to living like the savior. Those who live the lower level of existence or living have much more junk that they have to cope with. (By choice but they don't even know they do this.)Those who live a higher existence of living have little to no junk that they deal with. This is by choise. By thinking correctly.
With out a lot of background and info which takes time and sore thumbs. It's like trying to describe what something tastes like to someone who has never tasted anything like it.
It's why the savior used parables.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Ezra,
If you believe that coping is bad or unnecessary, why do you listen to music, exercise or post on this forum full of strangers?
If you believe that you are imperfect, why would you think you have no opposition to manage?

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

Thinker wrote:Ezra,
If you believe that coping is bad or unnecessary, why do you listen to music, exercise or post on this forum full of strangers?
If you believe that you are imperfect, why would you think you have no opposition to manage?
Not realy following what your asking.

Coping is necessary untell you learn a better way. God dose not cope with things. He rules them or is not at odds to them ,all things in and of this world are his and there is no fight involved. They flow.they are congruent. They all fit and function to his will.
Mat. 6 : 28 28 And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin:

They function as they are.

Coping is something we have made up to "deal" with life. We view life as a struggle. We view things in life as struggles that we have to cope with.
That way of thinking is wrong it's not correct. Because of the power of God that's within us is the reason it's real to us. We in essence created our own struggle which we now live because we created it. So to those who think that way it's very real.

Putting your thinking more and more inline with gods thinking and you exit more and more of those struggles to were you have none like God.

This kind of thinking is learned line apon line. the natural man fights aginst this way of thinking natrual mans thinking is generationally learned ignorance. If you haven't tasted an orange describing an what it tastes like using other things you have tasted is really hard. It's something you have to try to know.

If you want to know you have to stop fighting aginst life. Look into zen teachings. Look into eastern "no mind" theology. Read as a man thinkith James Allen. Echeart tolle power of now and a new earth. this is a very very awsome persuit of knowledge. Very worth it.

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

You ask why come here why lisen to music. I come here to teach and learn. Music is creation it's Beauty harmony.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Ezra,
We are not perfected gods.
We have opposition to cope with - or it will deal with us.
Denial only makes it worse.
When I refer to the term, "cope" maybe you're thinking I mean "apathetically submit to" - but that's not what I mean. I mean that we will always have opposition - stress - it's part of the human condition. So although I do suggest an acceptance of lifetime imperfection/opposition, I see coping is handling it in a way that inspires progress and overcoming past opposition - but that doesn't mean we'll then be perfect or without opposition.

I've looked into Zen and besides a few helpful concepts, IMO, it's mostly about denial and a weak sense of integrity ("anything goes").
But to each their own.
Last edited by Thinker on January 14th, 2015, 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

Thinker wrote:Ezra,
We are not perfected gods.

I've looked into Zen and besides a few helpful concepts, IMO, it's mostly about denial.
But to each their own.
No we are not. But we are supposed to be working towards that. Are we not?
Jesus himself said be thou perfect. He wouldn't have asked it if it wasn't possible. Yes we have sinned. But we can stop sinning.

Our thinking is what causes action and creation. If that thinking causes struggles why continue it? Most will continue it cuz it's all they know. They don't know anything eles.