Thoughts After the Meet the Mormons Premiere

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
jbalm
The Third Comforter

Re: Thoughts After the Meet the Mormons Premiere

Post by jbalm »

Have a cow.

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

sen6b wrote:Nobody is having a cow dear.
Some cow sounds good right now. I think I'll make a stew.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

sen6b wrote:Clearly then Satan must be behind this movie. There is nothing positive at all that can been gleaned from this movie. Instead we should all go support the movie machete kills. Much more edifying and uplifting.
Wow, um.. yeah, wow. Cheer up. I'm not sure about your theory that Satan is behind this movie. /:)

jbalm
The Third Comforter

Post by jbalm »

I made no assumptions. I merely provided information.

You just got all weird about it.

Here you go:
Chill.jpg
Chill.jpg (4.81 KiB) Viewed 1236 times

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

And I only agree with jbalm when he's right. :-B

caddis
captain of 1,000

Post by caddis »

sen6b wrote:I'm only basing my opinion on jbalms assumptions.
I see you are still trusting in the arm of flesh. Some things never change. :D

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

Here's a thought (based on the OP): why in the blue hell should a church be in the major motion picture business FOR ANY REASON? Wouldn't it be easier and far more effective to lighten the world with our individual examples and faith in Christ? Boondoggle and corporate vanity are the best descriptors I can think of for the IDEA of this movie.

Better make more stew, Jason.

Seek the Truth
captain of 1,000

Post by Seek the Truth »

When in Rome.

kathyn
captain of 1,000

Post by kathyn »

Believe it or not, there are people out there searching for the gospel, yet know not where to find it. This movie is actually going to open doors, I truly believe that. I believe that the Brethren were inspired in the decision to make this movie and that it will prove to be of great worth, in the long run. If you don't, oh "ye of little faith".

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

Did Denver have anything to do with this movie?

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

kathyn wrote:Believe it or not, there are people out there searching for the gospel, yet know not where to find it. This movie is actually going to open doors, I truly believe that. I believe that the Brethren were inspired in the decision to make this movie and that it will prove to be of great worth, in the long run. If you don't, oh "ye of little faith".
Do you think the average movie goer is looking for the gospel? Based on my limited experience at the modern American movie house I say NO! People at movie theaters are looking for entertainment. If you've descended to the point you honestly believe the the Maker of Heaven and Earth and All Things that In Them Are needs a full length motion picture to spread the word, we really are at 1 second before midnight...

I think Denver WROTE it, Ruecox. You and your Denver fetish. It is funny how you bring him up to derail anything you dont agree with. Do you still believe there's a monster in your closet, too?

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

sen6b wrote:
Obrien wrote:Here's a thought (based on the OP): why in the blue hell should a church be in the major motion picture business FOR ANY REASON? Wouldn't it be easier and far more effective to lighten the world with our individual examples and faith in Christ? Boondoggle and corporate vanity are the best descriptors I can think of for the IDEA of this movie.

Better make more stew, Jason.
I'll have you know there is a LOT of money to be made in boondoggle!!! I should know!
I told you, once you have it, I've done my part. The sin is on you should you boondoggle it..;)

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

sen6b wrote:
64f9f8eb0090ca4a37ea031f7fcd06be.jpg
I almost commented earlier that you needed to write a disclaimer for that post for those who can't sense sarcasm in text :p

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

Obrien wrote:I think Denver WROTE it, Ruecox. You and your Denver fetish. It is funny how you bring him up to derail anything you dont agree with. Do you still believe there's a monster in your closet, too?
I haven't seen the movie yet, but someone said they noticed Denver in a crowd, kinda like 'Where's Waldo'.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

I have no idea. Don't know, don't care.

How much do you get paid, anyway? I'd like to know where my tithing is going...

Sigus
captain of 50

Post by Sigus »

I meet the Mormon's every day. I wake up, roll over and say good morning to the beautiful Mormon lying next to me and then go wake up the three Mormon's down the hall so they can get ready for school. Then before I jump in the shower I wink at the great looking Mormon looking back at me in the mirror. What a fine bunch of Mormon's we are.

If you'd like to save on the price of admission and meet a fine Mormon family like mine PM me and we can schedule a time, I work on a donation basis so you can decide how much the experience is worth. Since there is no overhead I'll donate all of the proceeds to the Arizona Humane Society.
Last edited by Sigus on October 9th, 2014, 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

caddis
captain of 1,000

Post by caddis »

rewcox wrote:
Obrien wrote:I think Denver WROTE it, Ruecox. You and your Denver fetish. It is funny how you bring him up to derail anything you dont agree with. Do you still believe there's a monster in your closet, too?
I haven't seen the movie yet, but someone said they noticed Denver in a crowd, kinda like 'Where's Waldo'.
Interesting. I heard through the grapevine that you and a few of your SCMC were seen at Brewvies watching Meet The Mormons. I didn't know you lived the WOW rewcox. :ymapplause:

TannerG
captain of 100

Post by TannerG »

ajax wrote:I have no interest. I've met a lot of Mormons. I don't want to pay to meet four more. Should be interesting as non-LDS reviews come in.

http://www.nearingkolob.com/meet-mormon ... qus_thread" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.azcentral.com/story/entertai ... /16946453/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not sure if I'd ever be interested in a movie called Meet the Muslims or Meet the Catholics, unless it's a spin off irreverent comedy with Ben Stiller, maybe.

Observation: They even go to movies in suits?
1421408-500x299.jpg
I am sitting directly behind elder holland in this photo. No suit for me though.

Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Col. Flagg »

shadow wrote:
ajax wrote: Observation: They even go to movies in suits?
1421408-500x299.jpg
Obviously you have no idea just how many burritos and bottles of pop one can sneak into a movie theater wearing a suit.
This is probably the only time where I'll condone dishonesty... concession/snack bar prices are outrageous and akin to highway robbery! When a popcorn and drink can cost more than the movie ticket itself, we've got a big problem. It's obscene what movie theaters get away with at their snack bars, but they know any young man on a date is going to have no problem dropping $15 for a large popcorn and 2 sodas. :ymsick:

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

I went to see 'Meet the Mormons' last night. Excellent, I really enjoyed it.

And, since I have seen the movie, I will tell you my opinion of why the church spent the money and took the time to make this movie.

It is to open the doors for the missionaries. It is to dispel the many rumors that the media(through entertainment) continue to push that we are an odd ball cult that doesn't drink and has multiple wives and oppresses women and is racist or we're just the 7th day adventists. :-s

I would say that the movie does a great job of highlighting a handful of unique LDS members and it will go a long way in softening the hearts of any who see it. I don't expect the movie will garner large audiences in the theatre, but that doesn't matter--it only has to touch some hearts and influence some people to be effective.
And, when the theatre run is over, they'll put it on Netflix, Hulu, etc. and more people will watch it--some simply out of curiosity, or because the spirit urges them to watch it--and it will soften more hearts and make people curious or long to have the kind of love and happiness these people have in their lives and they will be more open to listening to the missionaries or seeking out the church to learn more about it.

When the missionaries approach a person who has seen the movie, they will be more likely to allow them to talk to them and it will give them more information and reason to ask questions.

I could see that this movie was inspired and will go a long way to soften hearts.

For those who criticize the church for making this movie: One part of the four fold mission is proclaiming the gospel--this movie facilitates that. No question at all.

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

I also heard a little more background on the movie. My understanding is that the movie was initially made to be shown in visitors centers and the Legacy theatre (JosSmithmemorialbuilding) but when they did the audience testing, it tested extremely positively, more so than any of the other movies they had made. So, they decided they ought to give it a wider audience.

I've seen that some here on the site and anonymous Bishop, to name a few, have criticized the church for spending the money- but the fact is, it is a documentary--they don't cost a lot. Also, the church has their film dept. one would expect their staff made the film and were paid their regular salaries, just like all their projects. I don't think this movie project cost much at all--and it has actually done quite well in it's first weekend, so there may actually be some profits they can donate to the red cross.

I heard that in it's first weekend running the movie was 10th in theatres and that in 100 markets, it was 1st and there were many showings that were sold out.

TannerG
captain of 100

Post by TannerG »

I'd be interested to know how many non members are seeing it.

Benjamin_LK
captain of 1,000

Post by Benjamin_LK »

SmallFarm wrote:
sen6b wrote:Nobody is having a cow dear.
Some cow sounds good right now. I think I'll make a stew.
Amen to that. Haven't had stew in a long time. Time to get the crocker cookin'.