Go Sign Up (it doesn't hurt)

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Bee Prepared
captain of 1,000

Re: Go Sign Up (it doesn't hurt)

Post by Bee Prepared »

Obrien wrote:The majority are also sinners, does that justify your sin?
Majorities are a sucker's game...who cares what the herd is doing?
What sinners are you talking about, the ones who don't pay their tithing?

( Oh hell, sorry Obrien)

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

Bee Prepared wrote:
Obrien wrote:The majority are also sinners, does that justify your sin?
Majorities are a sucker's game...who cares what the herd is doing?
What sinners are you talking about, the ones who don't pay their tithing?

( Oh hell, sorry Obrien)
No, I wasn't thinking of "the ones who don't pay their tithing". I was thinking in general terms.

Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robert Sinclair »

If you give 10% of your increase, year after year, plus all of your surplus beyound that needed for the support of yourself and your family directly to the poor, during the period of your lifetime, when you get to the judgement bar of Christ, and knock, he will surely say, I knew you, for you gave to me when I was in need, and cared for me as I begged at the street corners, or was homeless and you housed me. For unto such it is written in The Gospel According To St. Matthew in what is known as chapter 25, starting with the words:

"When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angeles with him ................."

Read and see therein what is written to those to whom the Lord will say:

"Inasmuch as ye have done it unto the least of these my brethern, ye have done it unto me."

It would have been good had the old men and administers of the law of God, not robbed him, as is written in Micah chapter 3, the entire chapter, and also as is written in the Book of Malachi, chapter 3, again the entire chapter. And not divined for money and kept the storehouse treasury away from the poor of his people, for lands and houses, as well as just their sprinkling of food and raiment and rent, but been equal in their temporal things, and this not grudgingly, as commanded of the very eternal Father in Heaven. "Prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of Hosts"

Yes, even, "discern between the righteous and the wicked, between him that serveth God, and him that serveth him not."

It would be good for the leaders to give thought and understanding as to why did the Lord command the prophet Hosea, to marry a wife of whoredoms as a type and a shadow for Ephraim, and consider and do as as written in Hosea 14:8 and finally say,

"What have I go do anymore with idols?"

And to give ear as is written in the Book of Joel, even as it is written for them to do, even as Moroni testified to Joseph Smith while just a young lad 4 times repeating the same message over and over and over and over again that there could be no mistake, that the words of Joel, were not just yet, but would soon be. Watch the Super Harvest Blood Red Moon coming this harvest season of the Jews High Holy Days, to be seen by all of Israel, both in Israel and on the American continent, and know, the great and terrible day of the Lord draws nigh.

Good to hearken unto the one prophet testified also to the young lad Joseph Smith, 4 times also, that all must hearken unto or be destroyed, even the Savior, Jesus Christ. ♡ :)

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

Just a bump for my favorite post. I'm curious to see how it fares in the new, more judgmental Mainstream Mormon forum. Who knows, perhaps it will be locked and disappear into the memory hole... time will tell.

caddis
captain of 1,000

Post by caddis »

Obrien wrote:Just a bump for my favorite post. I'm curious to see how it fares in the new, more judgmental Mainstream Mormon forum. Who knows, perhaps it will be locked and disappear into the memory hole... time will tell.
I think you meant Poelman hole. :ymdevil:

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

caddis wrote:
Obrien wrote:Just a bump for my favorite post. I'm curious to see how it fares in the new, more judgmental Mainstream Mormon forum. Who knows, perhaps it will be locked and disappear into the memory hole... time will tell.
Clever clever... but I did not wear the clothes today as the day that I wrote this post, so technically speaking, it wouldn't be a Poelman hole. THAT requires everything but the words (and the presence of the choir) to be precisely the same the second time around!

caddis
captain of 1,000

Post by caddis »

Obrien wrote:
caddis wrote:
Clever clever... but I did not wear the clothes today as the day that I wrote this post, so technically speaking, it wouldn't be a Poelman hole. THAT requires everything but the words (and the presence of the choir) to be precisely the same the second time around!
Well then, clearly you don't have what it takes to work in the Church Office Building. No soup stipend for you!!!

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Post by Sirocco »

like me :))

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

I went and checked on my favorite thread today. The petition referenced in the OP has gained 500-ish signatures since I grew the spine to sign it. I noticed several FF-ers on the list. Good times...

Bump

Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robert Sinclair »

As soon as they return to keep the law of God, this will all go away and be forgotten.

Good to return to keep the fullness of the gospel, this coming October General Conference, that this will all fade away. ♡

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

Just a bump for my pet thread. :)

butterfly
captain of 1,000

Post by butterfly »

Thanks, I just signed the petition. When will they ever submit it? After the stock market really crashes and money is worthless anyway?

Rachael
Captain of whatever

Post by Rachael »

wompus wrote:
I'll sign that petition as soon as everyone here who signed that petition posts all their financial info online... that means the last 7 years of your bank statements, credit card statements, balance sheets, income statements and tax returns... and then I get to judge whether or not you can have a temple recommend based on if you've paid a full tithe and see how much you actually are donating to charity other than the LDS church!
If you ever contributed to the them financially, then sure. If you didn't put nuthin' on their table, its none of your business

Rachael
Captain of whatever

Post by Rachael »

Oops...I responded three pages in. I should have waited til reading further

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

Here's an idea. If you don't trust the Church, get out
Yeah, I'll trust them with my eternal salvation, but the few dollars I give them..???

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

harakim wrote:Here's an idea. If you don't trust the Church, get out
Yeah, I'll trust them with my eternal salvation, but the few dollars I give them..???
Harakim - or, why not ask for a scripturally based change (common consent) to allow the people who provide the offering to know how the offering is used? There's no requirement that church finance be a secret from the church members. Peace to you, harakim.

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

Obrien wrote:
Harakim - or, why not ask for a scripturally based change (common consent) to allow the people who provide the offering to know how the offering is used? There's no requirement that church finance be a secret from the church members. Peace to you, harakim.
Has the church ever practiced financial disclosure? Like in Joseph Smith's time?

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

harakim wrote:
Obrien wrote:
Has the church ever practiced financial disclosure? Like in Joseph Smith's time?
In direct answer to your question above, I'd have to say the only time I am aware of was during Peter's time, when Ananias and his wife were not transparent with their offerings. In more modern times, see

https://ia600705.us.archive.org/34/item ... t1948a.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Follow the link above and it will take you to a safe website that is an archive of LDS Conference reports. The link is for the April 1948 conference (the 100 year anniversary of the arrival in SLC). Pages 55-65 +/- are the statistical and financial reporting for the previous year. It is not overly detailed, but it is far more information than we receive these days. Reporting like this was normal for several decades, and ended in 1960 +/- (I forget the exact year and frankly don't really care).
What do you think?

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

I was unable to find the financial information in that document. If you could look at it and tell me more specifically where it is, I would appreciate that. If they did report it until the 1960s, it is a little weird they stopped, but I personally am confident they have good reason to have done so.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

harakim wrote:I was unable to find the financial information in that document. If you could look at it and tell me more specifically where it is, I would appreciate that. If they did report it until the 1960s, it is a little weird they stopped, but I personally am confident they have good reason to have done so.
Sorry for the bad info. When I checked the pdf this morning I see it starts around page 120.

I'm sure there were several compelling reasons to stop reporting such info. I think some of those issues are addressed by boo earlier in this thread.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

Bump, for all the newbies

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

Obrien wrote:
harakim wrote:I was unable to find the financial information in that document. If you could look at it and tell me more specifically where it is, I would appreciate that. If they did report it until the 1960s, it is a little weird they stopped, but I personally am confident they have good reason to have done so.
Sorry for the bad info. When I checked the pdf this morning I see it starts around page 120.

I'm sure there were several compelling reasons to stop reporting such info. I think some of those issues are addressed by boo earlier in this thread.
Page 120 is where I looked

EDIT: I actually looked through the entire thing, but I specifically looked at page 120 in slow and agonizing detail.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

harakim wrote:
Obrien wrote:

Page 120 is where I looked

EDIT: I actually looked through the entire thing, but I specifically looked at page 120 in slow and agonizing detail.
I checked the link and printed out the sheets this morning. Page 120 is titled at the top "1947 Financial and Statistical Report" in large, bold letters. The following 6 pages show a fair amount of financial information. If you cannot find it, I don't know what to say...

This kind of overview is hardly a detailed audit of the LDS Corp of '47, but it is better than the "All is well in Zion" lip service we hear each April in General Conference.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

Another bump.
Transparency rules.

Durzan
The Lord's Trusty Maverick

Post by Durzan »

The fact that the church isn't revealing its financial information doesn't really bother me. I can think of several reasons why keeping it confidential might be a good idea, the first of which being that anti-mormons would have even more ammo to fire at us if it were public. However, I can also sympathize with the notion that we need to follow what the scriptures say, and the reasoning behind this petition. No matter what, we need to put careful thought and prayer into this to make sure that this petition really is in line with the Lords will.

Let me read it over, think it through, and pray about it before I make a decision.