Why all the new endowment movies?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
LucianAMD
ex-Puppet Master

Why all the new endowment movies?

Post by LucianAMD »

I went to the temple last night and saw they had another new movie. This makes 3 in the last year from what I've seen. This third one was painful to watch because of the horrible acting. But it did have cool visual effects... Anyway why do they keep making new ones? Seems like a waste of money to me.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Re: Why all the new endowment movies?

Post by marc »

Isaiah has something to say about this.

LucianAMD
ex-Puppet Master

Post by LucianAMD »

coachmarc wrote:Isaiah has something to say about this.
Please, do share. I am not yet as learned in the words of Isaiah as I should be.

boo
captain of 1,000

Post by boo »

Temple attendance spikes temporarily when a new movie comes out. Itching ears. 1 Timothy 4;3

Cookies
captain of 100

Post by Cookies »

boo wrote:Temple attendance spikes temporarily when a new movie comes out. Itching ears. 1 Timothy 4;3
Is this the scripture reference you meant to post? :-\

1Timothy 4:3
3 Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

Cookies wrote:
boo wrote:Temple attendance spikes temporarily when a new movie comes out. Itching ears. 1 Timothy 4;3

3 Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.
He meant 2 Timothy 4:3.

The time is sure to come when people will not accept sound teaching, but their ears will be itching for anything new....
Last edited by Lizzy60 on July 17th, 2014, 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

boo
captain of 1,000

Post by boo »

Cookies wrote:

Thanks for the catch. I am a very poor typist. It should be Second Timothy 4:3. Hit the wrong key

pjbrownie
captain of 1,000

Post by pjbrownie »

Ugh, I wish I could bypass the movie and just do the action items

e-eye
captain of 100

Post by e-eye »

The first one they made was to allow more time for translation into other languages and it is something like 12 min. longer. I think they made the 2nd new one knowing this as the 12 min. longer throws a wrench into the sessions as you really can't have them all 12 min longer so they added the 2nd. I have heard some people say they really learned a lot more by having the actors more emotional in the original new one but for me it was a little over the top however on the 2nd new one I felt like it opened my eyes more and the spirit was able to teach me better in some areas and I attribute it to me being able to relate to the actors better. We obviously don't go there for the acting but if you had robots doing the acting with robot voices it would make it hard to relate.

shestalou
captain of 100

Post by shestalou »

e-eye wrote:The first one they made was to allow more time for translation into other languages and it is something like 12 min. longer. I think they made the 2nd new one knowing this as the 12 min. longer throws a wrench into the sessions as you really can't have them all 12 min longer so they added the 2nd. I have heard some people say they really learned a lot more by having the actors more emotional in the original new one but for me it was a little over the top however on the 2nd new one I felt like it opened my eyes more and the spirit was able to teach me better in some areas and I attribute it to me being able to relate to the actors better. We obviously don't go there for the acting but if you had robots doing the acting with robot voices it would make it hard to relate.
I totally agree with this but the third is a bit robotic. /:)

karend77
captain of 1,000

Post by karend77 »

LucianAMD wrote:I went to the temple last night and saw they had another new movie. This makes 3 in the last year from what I've seen. This third one was painful to watch because of the horrible acting. But it did have cool visual effects... Anyway why do they keep making new ones? Seems like a waste of money to me.
Ditto reaction from hubby who went yesterday

e-eye
captain of 100

Post by e-eye »

shestalou wrote:
e-eye wrote:The first one they made was to allow more time for translation into other languages and it is something like 12 min. longer. I think they made the 2nd new one knowing this as the 12 min. longer throws a wrench into the sessions as you really can't have them all 12 min longer so they added the 2nd. I have heard some people say they really learned a lot more by having the actors more emotional in the original new one but for me it was a little over the top however on the 2nd new one I felt like it opened my eyes more and the spirit was able to teach me better in some areas and I attribute it to me being able to relate to the actors better. We obviously don't go there for the acting but if you had robots doing the acting with robot voices it would make it hard to relate.
I totally agree with this but the third is a bit robotic. /:)
:)) I have yet to see the 3rd but now I am going to be singing in my mindd the whole time... arigatō, Mr. Roboto

Zowieink
captain of 100

Post by Zowieink »

e-eye: you are sooooooooooo irreverent! :))

We have been told that they are trying to address Adam and Eve to the various cultures: possibly yet to come (Asian, Black, etc.) with more localized scenery.

If the new movie is more "wooden" in characters, it can't be as bad as the first movie presentation the Church had with plastic fruit with the mould lines showing and plastic, very plastic plants! Guess I'm getting old....I even remember sessions as live, acted presentations and a whole lot longer... :) and if you want to talk about wooden, incredible bad acting!

boo
captain of 1,000

Post by boo »

Ah there are a few of us left who remember those days. The acting was wooden but the endowment itself was, in my mind ,much more interesting and enlightening before the wholesale dumbing down or PCing that has taken place in the last 40 or so years.

e-eye
captain of 100

Post by e-eye »

Zowieink wrote:e-eye: you are sooooooooooo irreverent! :))

We have been told that they are trying to address Adam and Eve to the various cultures: possibly yet to come (Asian, Black, etc.) with more localized scenery.

If the new movie is more "wooden" in characters, it can't be as bad as the first movie presentation the Church had with plastic fruit with the mould lines showing and plastic, very plastic plants! Guess I'm getting old....I even remember sessions as live, acted presentations and a whole lot longer... :) and if you want to talk about wooden, incredible bad acting!
Zowieink - when do we get the new movie in Mesa, is it after it opens again?

Ferg
captain of 100

Post by Ferg »

I miss the live sessions. Seems people payed more attention, and didn't dose off as much. (-|

Zowieink
captain of 100

Post by Zowieink »

Aug 4. Plus a bigger sealing room to seat 75 or more, marble/stone in foyers main hallways, a/c upgrades and some new ductwork, an entrance vestibule andno revolving door, new phone system.

e-eye
captain of 100

Post by e-eye »

Zowieink wrote:Aug 4. Plus a bigger sealing room to seat 75 or more, marble/stone in foyers main hallways, a/c upgrades and some new ductwork, an entrance vestibule andno revolving door, new phone system.
No revolving door?!

The marble will be nice and easier to keep clean.

pollibird
captain of 100

Post by pollibird »

sen6b wrote:I don't know if it's true but I read somewhere something pertaining to the one that came out last August, something to do with one of the actors who played one of the 3 apostles. I can't remember which, that the actor had some issues arise pertaining to gay rights and such. That's all I heard. I only got to see that one twice before they came out with another one.
I heard that too.
I had hoped to see it a time or two more, because I think the actor who played Peter was an actor on Bonanza who played a lawyer on that tv show.
I'll miss that revolving door. My wife and I had to do a quick step when we went through together.

sarahmj
captain of 100

Post by sarahmj »

sen6b wrote:I don't know if it's true but I read somewhere something pertaining to the one that came out last August, something to do with one of the actors who played one of the 3 apostles. I can't remember which, that the actor had some issues arise pertaining to gay rights and such. That's all I heard. I only got to see that one twice before they came out with another one.
Wrong film, it was the old one with the Blonde Eve, it was stopped about 2.5 years ago.

worthit
captain of 100

Post by worthit »

We have been told that they are trying to address Adam and Eve to the various culture
Is that why they totally left out Eve's admonition? Yep, Adam gets to work by the sweat of his brow,
Satan gets to crawl on his belly, but Eve gets off without a mention.

(yeah..you guys are in trouble! She says.) Just kidding. Sorry for the irreverent humor, but I can't figure
why they would leave that out. The same omission is done in the second as in the first. Haven't seen the
third yet. Does it also leave out Eve's admonition?

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

Hopefully this is not so. We know Adam and Eve were not Asian or Black so why pretend ?
Zowieink wrote: We have been told that they are trying to address Adam and Eve to the various cultures: possibly yet to come (Asian, Black, etc.) with more localized scenery.

Zowieink
captain of 100

Post by Zowieink »

True, Adam and Eve were "white and delightsome" with the "curse" of dark skin coming later to Cain. I think they should just stay with generic DNA and do the localization with just scenery.

It was interesting last Friday 18th. I visited the Gilbert temple and saw some old friends that used to work at the Mesa temple but are now in Gilbert. I asked how busy it was and they said the new movie has helped...its the first time they have had consistantly well attended sessions since it opened. The coordinator said that on Fridays, many of the sessions are in need of help from workers to fill in for the prayer, although from 5:30 on its usually busy but before that, pretty slim. Amazing! I had supposed the place was busy all the time, but no, not the case.

sarahmj
captain of 100

Post by sarahmj »

SARAH Ward wrote:Hopefully this is not so. We know Adam and Eve were not Asian or Black so why pretend ?
Zowieink wrote: We have been told that they are trying to address Adam and Eve to the various cultures: possibly yet to come (Asian, Black, etc.) with more localized scenery.
Just a thought, but maybe it's to get people to think of themselves as Adam and Eve. Sometimes things in the Endowment are taken too literally, the story of Adam and Eve is really the story of us.

buffalo_girl
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by buffalo_girl »

sarahmj wrote:
SARAH Ward wrote:Hopefully this is not so. We know Adam and Eve were not Asian or Black so why pretend ?
Just a thought, but maybe it's to get people to think of themselves as Adam and Eve. Sometimes things in the Endowment are taken too literally, the story of Adam and Eve is really the story of us.
So...from where did ALL these Asians & Africans & Indians & various indigenous peoples originate if not from Adam and Eve and through Noah?

The statement, "We know Adam and Eve were not Asian or Black so why pretend ?", seems a good bit elitist to me!

I was delighted to see the new film portrayals of Adam & Eve as other than white, northern Europeans!