I get to give the Constitution talk in church Sept 15th

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

I get to give the Constitution talk in church Sept 15th

Post by mes5464 »

I got the call today! I was asked to speak on the Constitution in church Sept 15 in honor of Constitution Day!

sonofliberty
captain of 100

Re: I get to give the Constitution talk in church Sept 15th

Post by sonofliberty »

Excellent! I never get asked to talk on topics like that. Good luck!

RyanK
captain of 100

Post by RyanK »

That's pretty neat. I'm sure the challenge will be condensing your material into a time frame of sacrament meeting talk.

I'm just 10 pages away from finishing The Elders of Israel and the Constitution by Jerome Horowitz. I recommend it, unless you've read it already.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

Great news, Mes. Sock it to 'em.

RyanK, may I suggest that when you finish "The Elders of Israel And The Constitution" that you read "THE UNITED STATES HAS TWO CONSTITUTIONS" by the late Jerome Horowitz. Read it at http://www.inspiredconstitution.org/jh_gk/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sonofliberty, your bishop might not even know that you could give a good talk on that subject. May I suggest that you kindly offer to speak on the Constitution. We gotta be aggressive if we are gonna awake our fellow LDSs to their responsibility to the Constitution and its preservation/restoration.

sevenator
captain of 100

Post by sevenator »

Bring the big stick and wake 'em up! :ymparty:

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

lundbaek wrote:Great news, Mes. Sock it to 'em.

RyanK, may I suggest that when you finish "The Elders of Israel And The Constitution" that you read "THE UNITED STATES HAS TWO CONSTITUTIONS" by the late Jerome Horowitz. Read it at http://www.inspiredconstitution.org/jh_gk/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sonofliberty, your bishop might not even know that you could give a good talk on that subject. May I suggest that you kindly offer to speak on the Constitution. We gotta be aggressive if we are gonna awake our fellow LDSs to their responsibility to the Constitution and its preservation/restoration.
+1

Jarbar
captain of 100

Post by Jarbar »

If you write the full talk down, be sure to post it !!

Tribunal
captain of 1,000

Post by Tribunal »

Jarbar wrote:If you write the full talk down, be sure to post it !!
Agreed! I would like to read a talk from someone who actually understands the topic, and doesn't just do some research on the night the talk is supposed to be given.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

I have twice given sacrament meeting talks in our ward on the Constitution, in July 2009 and this past 30 June. Both are posted somewhere on this forum. For whatever help it might be, I got criticism back thru the grapevine that 1. the statements of prophets and apostles that I used were no longer applicable, 2. Current conditions render some/many of the principles of the original Constitution inapplicable, 3. The meaning of many elements of the Constitution have been changed, 4. Whatever the Supreme Court says is constitutional is now constitutional, 5. That topic is best left to a speaker with a legal background, 6. The Constitution was never perfect, as evidenced by the provision for amendments, and 7. the Constitution is a obsession with some people.

This topic seems to make some members uneasy and some will tune you out.

Vision
captain of 1,000

Post by Vision »

I'm amazed every time I hear members being assigned topics. In the Bishopric I serve in we don't assign topics, we ask people to speak by the spirit.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

I see no harm in a bishop assigning a topic. Nor do I see any harm in a member suggesting to the bishop that someone be asked to speak on the Constitution in church Sept 15 in honor of Constitution Day.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Are we to understand that if a person is not assigned to talk about the Constitution that they will not be led by the spirit? !. Being as how the scriptures are so adamant about defending and upholding it and 2. that the Constitution is the supreme law of the land and 3. that it is the same form of government that Christ will use while here, ...that it must be talked about with fervency however the method of doing so comes about.

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by mes5464 »

Vision wrote:I'm amazed every time I hear members being assigned topics. In the Bishopric I serve in we don't assign topics, we ask people to speak by the spirit.
I do prefer this. I prefer that people stand and speak by the power of the Holy Ghost. I have sat in a few sacrament meetings when the assigned speaker or speakers didn't show and the people who spoke (unprepared) in their place moved me. They were inspiring.

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by mes5464 »

lundbaek wrote: 1. the statements of prophets and apostles that I used were no longer applicable
2. Current conditions render some/many of the principles of the original Constitution inapplicable
3. The meaning of many elements of the Constitution have been changed
4. Whatever the Supreme Court says is constitutional is now constitutional
5. That topic is best left to a speaker with a legal background
6. The Constitution was never perfect, as evidenced by the provision for amendments
7. the Constitution is a obsession with some people.
I think I will try to work these into my talk if I can fit it.

uglypitbull
captain of 1,000

Post by uglypitbull »

Mes...you could combine it with the info in this talk. Might make you a "crazy conspiracy theorist" in some folks eyes. LOL

http://scriptures.byu.edu/gettalk.php?ID=1413" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

"Brethren, if we had done our homework and were faithful, we could step forward at this time and help save this country. The fact that most of us are unprepared to do it is an indictment we will have to bear. The longer we wait, the heavier the chains, the deeper the blood, the more the persecution, and the less we can carry out our God-given mandate and worldwide mission. The war in heaven is raging on earth today. Are you being neutralized in the battle?

"Verily I say, men should be anxiously engaged in a good cause, and do many things of their own free will, and bring to pass much righteousness; "

dauser
captain of 100

Post by dauser »

You may be put on a black list, rounded up and disappear.

By Social Security recipients...who paid into the system.

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by mes5464 »

dauser wrote:You may be put on a black list, rounded up and disappear.

By Social Security recipients...who paid into the system.

Yep. But I am willing to take my chances.

SkyBird
captain of 100

Post by SkyBird »

In my opinion the Constitution of the USA has been shredded by politicians, judges, and lawyers... just like the BOM days when all the judges became corrupted. The good news, according to the Vision of Church Patriarch Charles Evans, he saw:

"A foreign power had inroaded the nation, which, from every human indication, it appeared would seize the government and supplant it with monarchy. I stood trembling at the aspect, when, lo, a power arose in the west which declared itself in favor of the Constitution in its original form; to this suddenly rising power, every lover of constitutional rights and liberties throughout the nation gave hearty support. The struggle was fiercely contested, but the Stars and Stripes floated in the breeze, and bidding defiance to all opposition, waved proudly over the land.

Among the many banners I saw, was one inscribed thus: "The government based on the Constitution, now and forever"; on another, "Liberty of Conscience, Social, Religious, and Political."

Perhaps you are part of "a power (that) arose in the west which declared itself in favor of the Constitution in its original form" ... so don't forget to make your stand... and remind the saints that the dictionary defines the word "politician" "as a professional liar." In the old days they were called "statesmen." :-?

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by mes5464 »

So, the talk went well. I had plenty of time and the church provided a lot of material. I found the Religious Freedom page and used a lot of the content from there.

Afterwards, I was approached by many people before I was even able to get off the stand. My ward is a constitutionally friendly ward.

Someone asked for my talk on this forum. I don't write a talk I just take notes and then let the Holy Ghost be my guide but below I have pasted my notes.

******************* Begin Talk Notes **********************

Constitution Day, September 17:
The day the Constitutional Convention signed the Constitution in 1787.

Is discussing the Constitution appropriate:
"Next to being one in worshiping God, there is nothing in this world upon which this Church should be more united than in upholding and defending the Constitution of the United States." (President David O. McKay, October 1939 General Conference, also February 1956, The Instructor, 91:34)

The divine Constitution:
"To honor the Constitution and to honor freedom is a sacred duty for all of us. I invoke the blessing on you who are doing this sacred work that you will keep it up, and that in due time the challenges that we face now from within can be conquered so that this nation may remain free. (President Boyd K. Packer, at the 2 July 2009 Provo Freedom Festival)

“which I have suffered to be established, and should be maintained for the rights and protection of all flesh” (D&C 101:77)

“that every man may be accountable for his own sins in the day of judgment” (D&C 101:78)

Out of Zion shall go forth the law:
“And many people shall go and say, Come ye, and let us go up to the mountain of the Lord, to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths: for out of Zion shall go forth the law, and the word of the Lord from Jerusalem.” (Isaiah 2:3; Micah 4:2; 2 Nephi 12:3)

President Harold B. Lee gave the following commentary on these verses:
“With the coming of the pioneers to establish the Church in the tops of the mountains, our early leaders declared this to be the beginning of the fulfillment of the prophecy that out of Zion should go forth the law and the word of the Lord from Jerusalem. “I have often wondered what that expression meant, that out of Zion should go forth the law. Years ago I went with the Brethren to the Idaho Falls Temple, and I heard in that inspired prayer of the First Presidency a definition of the meaning of that term—‘out of Zion shall go forth the law.’ Note what they said:
”‘We thank thee that thou hast revealed to us that those who gave us our constitutional form of government were wise in thy sight and that thou didst raise them up for the very purpose of putting forth that sacred document [as revealed in Doctrine and Covenants 101]. . . . We pray that kings and rulers and the peoples of all nations under heaven may be persuaded of the blessings enjoyed by the people of this land by reason of their freedom under thy guidance and be constrained to adopt similar governmental systems, thus to fulfill the ancient prophecy of Isaiah and Micah that “. . . out of Zion shall go forth the law and the word of the Lord from Jerusalem.”’ (Improvement Era, Oct. 1945, p. 504.)

All but six nations use Constitution:
The United States Constitution was the first written constitution in the world. It has served Americans well, enhancing freedom and prosperity during the changed conditions of more than two hundred years. Frequently copied, it has become the United States’ most important export. After two centuries, every nation in the world except six have adopted written constitutions, and the U.S. Constitution was a model for all of them. No wonder modern revelation says that God established the U.S. Constitution and that it “should be maintained for the rights and protection of all flesh, according to just and holy principles.” (D&C 101:77.)
(Dallin H. Oaks; “The Divinely Inspired Constitution”, Feb 1992)

The Constitution hangs by a thread, religious freedom:
“So it is that I invite you to march with me as I speak about religious freedom under the United States Constitution. There is a battle over the meaning of that freedom. The contest is of eternal importance, and it is your generation that must understand the issues and make the efforts to prevail.” (Dallin H Oaks, “Religious Freedom”, BYU-Idaho, 13 Oct 2009)

• Religious clubs in colleges and universities forced off campus. (discrimination)
• Businesses forced to pay for health insurance that violates their religious convictions.
• Christians have no right to wear the cross at work.
• Pharmacists who object to dispensing abortion drugs.
• Christian innkeepers sued for refusing to host same-sex reception.
• Christian photographer fined for refusing to photograph a same-sex wedding.
• San Antonio proposing ordinance to prohibit anyone that expresses any unsupportive homosexual opinions from holding city elected office, city job, or city contract.

(Freedom of religion or conscience is to not be forced to do something that violates your testimony of what is right and wrong.)

“We are going to have to fight for laws and circumstances and environments that allow the free exercise of religion and our franchise in it.” (Jeffrey R Holland, “Israel, Israel, God is Calling”, CES Devotional, Jan 2012)

“Be an active participant, not a silent observer.” (Quinton L Cook, BYU-Idaho)

“The Saints can testify whether I am willing to lay down my life for my brethren. If it has been demonstrated that I have been willing to die for a ‘Mormon,’ I am bold to declare before Heaven that I am just as ready to die in defending the rights of a Presbyterian, a Baptist, or a good man of any other denomination; for the same principle which would trample upon the rights of the Latter-day Saints would trample upon the rights of the Roman Catholics, or of any other denomination who may be unpopular and too weak to defend themselves.
“It is a love of liberty which inspires my soul—civil and religious liberty to the whole of the human race. Love of liberty was diffused into my soul by my grandfathers while they dandled me on their knees. . . .” (Joseph Smith, Teachings Presidents Church, pg 345)

First Amendment: Freedom of religion, speech, press, assemble.

Second Amendment: keep and bear arms.

Third Amendment: No quartering soldiers.
“A family is suing the city of Henderson, Nevada for violating their Third Amendment rights — the constitutional prohibition against quartering soldiers in a private home during peacetime without the owner’s consent.” Dailycaller.com

Fourth Amendment: Unreasonable search and seizure.
TSA, NSA, searching cell phones

Fifth Amendment: nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself.
Salinas vs. Texas, silence an admission of guilt.

Sixth Amendment: quick and speedy trial.
NDAA

Seventh Amendment: trial by jury.
Eighth Amendment: excessive fines, bail; cruel or unusual punishment.
Ninth Amendment: enumerated rights will not limit other rights.
Tenth Amendment: none enumerated rights are retained by the states and people.

What is a member to do:
First Presidency statement in 2000:
As personal circumstances allow, we encourage men and women in the Church to serve in public offices of either election or appointment — including school boards, city and county councils and commissions, state legislatures, and national offices. (October 2000 First Presidency letter)

“The only way we can keep our freedom is to work at it. Not some of us. All of us. Not some of the time, but all of the time.
So if you value your citizenship and you want to keep it for yourself and your children and their children, give it your faith, your belief, and give it your active support in civic affairs.” (Spencer W. Kimball, Teachings, 405)

“I urge you with all the capacity that I have to reach out in a duty that stands beyond the requirements of our everyday lives; that is, to stand strong, even to become a leader in speaking up in behalf of those causes which make our civilization shine and which give comfort and peace to our lives. You can be a leader. You must be a leader…” (Gordon B Hinckley, “Stand Up for Truth”, BYU Devotional, 17 Sept. 1996)

A land of promise:
“Wherefore, this land is consecrated unto him whom he shall bring. And if it so be that they shall serve him according to the commandments which he hath given, it shall be a land of liberty unto them; wherefore, they shall never be brought down into captivity; if so, it shall be because of iniquity; for if iniquity shall abound cursed shall be the land for their sakes, but unto the righteous it shall be blessed forever.” (2 Nephi 1:7)

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

Bravo Thank you for giving that talk. I wish more recognition were given Constitution Day in church. I wonder now if more members will get the connection between religious freedom and the other essential freedoms.

Hogmeister
captain of 100

Post by Hogmeister »

I was last speaker in sacrament meeting sunday 8th. The second half of my talk was on the theme "the hour is late". The first half was on the internet as a modern version of the tree of knowledge of good and evil and how we can protect our testimonies from critics on the internet and find and use the internet to instead strengthen and deepen our testimonies. I talked on liberty and I got to mention the "war on terror" being used to attack liberty. Mentioned the NSA scandal and the link to the book of Mormon story of the Zoramites secretly learning the mind of the people in order to persecute those who were positive to Alma's teachings. Unfortunately I had to skip half of my talk but still got a lot of positive response.

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by mes5464 »

SkyBird wrote:In my opinion the Constitution of the USA has been shredded by politicians, judges, and lawyers... just like the BOM days when all the judges became corrupted. The good news, according to the Vision of Church Patriarch Charles Evans, he saw:

"A foreign power had inroaded the nation, which, from every human indication, it appeared would seize the government and supplant it with monarchy. I stood trembling at the aspect, when, lo, a power arose in the west which declared itself in favor of the Constitution in its original form; to this suddenly rising power, every lover of constitutional rights and liberties throughout the nation gave hearty support. The struggle was fiercely contested, but the Stars and Stripes floated in the breeze, and bidding defiance to all opposition, waved proudly over the land.

Among the many banners I saw, was one inscribed thus: "The government based on the Constitution, now and forever"; on another, "Liberty of Conscience, Social, Religious, and Political."

Perhaps you are part of "a power (that) arose in the west which declared itself in favor of the Constitution in its original form" ... so don't forget to make your stand... and remind the saints that the dictionary defines the word "politician" "as a professional liar." In the old days they were called "statesmen." :-?
I like this quote.

After preparing my talk I realized that the new web site by the church, Religious Freedom, the church is calling members to action. To step up and lead, not follow. I intend to try and lead in my county.