Anyone need a job?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

Anyone need a job?

Post by Col. Flagg »

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/ins ... ll-hiring/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The federal government is facing massive furloughs beginning later this week, but it is still running help-wanted ads seeking workers to answer phones — at up to $81,000 a year — or to drive cars for the State Department, for as much as $26.45 an hour.
=)) :ymapplause:

Strawberry
captain of 100

Re: Anyone need a job?

Post by Strawberry »

Yes, actually my husband does need a job, been out of work for 18 months thanks to this booming economy :-\ ! But, there is NO way he'll work for the feds.

jcricket6048
captain of 100

Post by jcricket6048 »

Hey Col Flagg did you apply :)) :)) :))

Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Col. Flagg »

jcricket6048 wrote:Hey Col Flagg did you apply :)) :)) :))
You and I wouldn't stand a snowball's chance in Guam getting either of those two jobs... they're reserved for special people connected to the right people.

Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Col. Flagg »

Strawberry wrote:Yes, actually my husband does need a job, been out of work for 18 months thanks to this booming economy :-\ ! But, there is NO way he'll work for the feds.
18 months? How are you guys making it? Unemployment insurance? I lost a job in 2001 and back then you were only able to collect for 6 months.

Strawberry
captain of 100

Post by Strawberry »

I'm just cringing when I think about it, but we did take unemployment - and it did run out. We are using the very last of our savings and it's a bit scary for us especially since we have 6 children to provide for. He actually (fingers crossed that it actually happens) does have something in the works for the end of March which will provide well for us, and I'm working on a home business. Ahhh, the things I wish we would have known before,like how to run our own businesses, how to invest and manage money, so we weren't in this pickle :-\

Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Col. Flagg »

Strawberry wrote:I'm just cringing when I think about it, but we did take unemployment - and it did run out. We are using the very last of our savings and it's a bit scary for us especially since we have 6 children to provide for. He actually (fingers crossed that it actually happens) does have something in the works for the end of March which will provide well for us, and I'm working on a home business. Ahhh, the things I wish we would have known before,like how to run our own businesses, how to invest and manage money, so we weren't in this pickle :-\
Well, good luck to you Strawberry... if you guys had enough in savings to cover your monthly bills for 12+ months, that is quite impressive, especially considering most Americans are living paycheck to paycheck.

bobhenstra
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by bobhenstra »

About 20 years ago I lost my job. At the age of 49 I didn't think I had much of a chance to find another, but I did after 9 months! And because we paid our tithing and donated a generous we expected blessings, and we got them. I ended up with a much better job! Just hang in the Strawberry, you'll make it!

What does your husband do?

Bob

Strawberry
captain of 100

Post by Strawberry »

Thank you Bob! My husband has been studying diligently the past several months to get into SharePoint - computing in the cloud (that's all I know about that). He was laid off when he was working with it at Microsoft - the company he worked for contracted with MS and lost their contract, so he's been out of it for SO long!

His new job (in another month) is in a completely unrelated field and will take him away from our family for several months )o=; it does pay much better than he's ever been paid, on the upside (o=. I do know the Lord has blessed us immensely during this time though and am eternally grateful for His watchful care during this time - similar to you; due to our faithfulness.

gclayjr
captain of 1,000

Post by gclayjr »

Good Luck Strawberry. I think one of the most common fictions believed by almost everybody in our society is that the econmy is only hitting those with few skills and that the reason that engineering and computer jobs are going overseas is that we have s shortage of trained engineers , scientists and computer people.

Hogwash!

I have a son who has a degree in Computer science and works a GIant supermarkets as a clerk. My company has been regularly laying of skilled engineers and computer professionals for the past 5+ years and transferring their work to consulting firms in India and China to reduce "costs".

One can argue the value of using "Low cost" skilled labor force in 3rd world countries vs more expensive local talent, but the idea there isn't enough "local talent" is hogwash. Just ask all of the engineers and programmers who are either looking for work or working at unsilled jobs to keep themselves employed.

Again I wish the best for you and your husband.

Regards,

George Clay

Steve Clark
captain of 1,000

Post by Steve Clark »

Below is the careers portal for the company where I work. We have been hiring consistently over the last 5 years. Please check it out and pass it along to anyone you think might be interested.

http://www.incontact.com/call-center-so ... ny/careers

We have actually found it difficult to find qualified people to fill the technical roles.

jcricket6048
captain of 100

Post by jcricket6048 »

I have not worked for the federal government for almost 5 years and I do not know if I want to go back and work for them again. They were suppose to help me since I am disabled and the federal government is the place for disable to work for but it is the other way around. I have been putting in for promotion since I have my college degree and they did not promote me because they have the good old boys still there.

bobhenstra
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by bobhenstra »

My sons own their own Chiller company, they have been unable to find trained help and have four job openings for trained heating and air mechanics working on large chillers on buildings. They simply cannot afford to hire inexperienced help, those chillers are to expensive to put inexperienced help on them! But there is a union training program in SLC, or heating and Air conditioning training programs at state colleges.

At the moment, everyone who has heating and air experience in Utah who wants a job has a job. Trained people make around $40 an hour and above, we know people who are making $150,000 to $200,000 a year simply because their skill level demands that kind of money. Trainees who also start working for a company (A common practice) start at around $18 an hour with full benefits after 6 months during training (union school and OJT) if you quit the school you'll likely be fired. Mental math excellence is required! And, you won't make it in this business if your not a hard worker.

Union Local 140 in SLC is taking applications at this very moment for new trainees in plumbing, heating and air, and sheet metal workers, math skills are required in all three job areas. Heating and air is doing very well in Utah, which also require the higher math skills!

Bob

Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Col. Flagg »

bobhenstra wrote:
At the moment, everyone who has heating and air experience in Utah who wants a job has a job. Trained people make around $40 an hour and above, we know people who are making $150,000 to $200,000 a year simply because their skill level demands that kind of money.
My daughter's friend's Dad does HVAC for IHC here in Utah and has been an HVAC Technician for over 20 years and makes $23/hr. - if you're making $40/hr. or $150-$200k/yr. in Utah doing HVAC, you either know someone or are incredibly lucky.

Strawberry
captain of 100

Post by Strawberry »

one4freedom wrote:Below is the careers portal for the company where I work. We have been hiring consistently over the last 5 years. Please check it out and pass it along to anyone you think might be interested.

http://www.incontact.com/virtual-call-c ... ny/careers

We have actually found it difficult to find qualified people to fill the technical roles.
Thank you one4freedom. I'll pass that on to my husband to take a look at.

And, colFlagg, I forgot, the IRS is potentially hiring thousands of agents to enforce the new "healthcare" *law*. That's one we'll pass on too #:-s

Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Col. Flagg »

Strawberry wrote:
one4freedom wrote:Below is the careers portal for the company where I work. We have been hiring consistently over the last 5 years. Please check it out and pass it along to anyone you think might be interested.

Thank you one4freedom. I'll pass that on to my husband to take a look at.

And, colFlagg, I forgot, the IRS is potentially hiring thousands of agents to enforce the new "healthcare" *law*. That's one we'll pass on too #:-s
Actually, they aren't 'potentially' hiring thousands more to enforce the criminal legislation called 'Obama-Care'... they are. Isn't it funny... here we are in the midst of a sequester (or whatever they want to call it) with cuts forthcoming to many departments and people, but they're hiring secretaries for $85k =)) and Obama exempted his salary from the so-called 'sequester'... it's absolutely incredible how much corruption there is at the federal level... just incredible. We're supposed to be operating under a $1.2 TRILLION budget deficit, yet, we're hiring thousands more employees for an agency that shouldn't even exist (the IRS) while paying exorbitant salaries to favored individuals to do brainless work? And half the country still thinks Obama is doing a good job??? :ymblushing: =)) #-o Our country is so ripe in so many ways that it boggles the mind. :( What would the average American think of a Father of a family of 4 who continued to live on credit cards while he was unemployed, bankrupt and borrowing money to pay his bills, all while running an illegal printing press and giving unlimited sums of money to his friends? That's our 'government' for you. =))

bobhenstra
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by bobhenstra »

Col. Flagg wrote:
bobhenstra wrote:
At the moment, everyone who has heating and air experience in Utah who wants a job has a job. Trained people make around $40 an hour and above, we know people who are making $150,000 to $200,000 a year simply because their skill level demands that kind of money.
My daughter's friend's Dad does HVAC for IHC here in Utah and has been an HVAC Technician for over 20 years and makes $23/hr. - if you're making $40/hr. or $150-$200k/yr. in Utah doing HVAC, you either know someone or are incredibly lucky.
Flagg, your friends dad doesn't work on big chillers, he's probable a residential or small business service mechanic. He's picked the level he's most comfortable at!

There's no luck involved, your either working at the highest levels of the trade or your happy at the lower levels. We have one friend (works for Carrier) who flies all over the world servicing cruise ships, he makes well over two hundred grand a year and is paid while flying to and from the job. But he wants to get out of that job, too much time away from his family. One of the chiller mechanics in my sons company made $150,000 last year. The rest made over $80,000. But they all make a lot more than that for the company. My youngest son who is not yet trained in large chiller work makes 25 dollars an hour and he's only been in then trade for 6 years. He doesn't yet work for his older siblings company, but is studying so he can get there. You don't get to that level without the proper training. Working on multi million dollar equipment takes courage and skill, one mistake and you've fried a chiller, not fun for the mechanic who'll be looking for another job, and an expensive replacement for the chiller company who works with a 5 million dollar bond. Any chiller mechanic worth his salt can get a job in Alaska for $300,000 easy.

It's the workers reputation that counts! Other companies try to hire their people away from the company, they try to hire away the best people from their competitors! They all know each other, it takes money to get the best people!

Bob

Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Col. Flagg »

bobhenstra wrote:
Col. Flagg wrote:
bobhenstra wrote:
Flagg, your friends dad doesn't work on big chillers, he's probable a residential or small business service mechanic. He's picked the level he's most comfortable at!

There's no luck involved, your either working at the highest levels of the trade or your happy at the lower levels. We have one friend (works for Carrier) who flies all over the world servicing cruise ships, he makes well over two hundred grand a year and is paid while flying to and from the job. But he wants to get out of that job, too much time away from his family. One of the chiller mechanics in my sons company made $150,000 last year. The rest made over $80,000. But they all make a lot more than that for the company. My youngest son who is not yet trained in large chiller work makes 25 dollars an hour and he's only been in then trade for 6 years. He doesn't yet work for his older siblings company, but is studying so he can get there. You don't get to that level without the proper training. Working on multi million dollar equipment takes courage and skill, one mistake and you've fried a chiller, not fun for the mechanic who'll be looking for another job, and an expensive replacement for the chiller company who works with a 5 million dollar bond. Any chiller mechanic worth his salt can get a job in Alaska for $300,000 easy.

It's the workers reputation that counts! Other companies try to hire their people away from the company, they try to hire away the best people from their competitors! They all know each other, it takes money to get the best people!

Bob
I stand corrected Bob, thanks for the additional info. about the industry.

Penstress
captain of 100

Post by Penstress »

Houston has lots of jobs. Oil industry helps here. Lots of blue collar but it pays well.

Seek the Truth
captain of 1,000

Post by Seek the Truth »

Link not working.

Strawberry
captain of 100

Post by Strawberry »

Thank you for sharing that, we would LOVE to live in Texas :D ! The link isn't working for me either :( .

Penstress
captain of 100

Post by Penstress »

Go use monster.com it's great.

Steve Clark
captain of 1,000

Post by Steve Clark »

Seek the Truth wrote: Link not working.
Apologies all around. I fixed the link above.

Try http://www.incontact.com/call-center-so ... ny/careers

JuliaBL
Hi, I'm new.

Post by JuliaBL »

Hi, I´m 27 and I´m lookin for a job. I have master´s degree in translation studies but I´ve been working as a freelancer for some years and now having some difficulties with looking for new job.:-s

JuliaBL
Hi, I'm new.

Post by JuliaBL »

Hi, I´m 27 and I´m currently looking for a job. I have masters´degree in translation studies but I´ve been working as a freelancer for some year and now can´t find some constant job.:-s