What will people do without technology?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Gyrlgeek
captain of 100

Post by Gyrlgeek »

I was standing in the security line at the courthouse (jury duty) when a young girl piped up behind me. "I sure hope they have wireless," she was saying. "I have a lot of work to do. Work doesn't stop for jury duty. I don't know what I would do without wireless. I have had the internet since I was 9."

As I stood there, I thought how lost she will be if that technology is ever gone, and how those that have grown up with technology all their lives will cope without it being there.

And yes, I am posting this from the jury assembly room. :))

sadie_Mormon
captain of 1,000

Re: What will people do without technology?

Post by sadie_Mormon »

This is something I often think about too. Being from the generation that is right in the middle (didn’t have to the have technology) I wonder how I and others would function if it was no longer available. I know how disheveled I get when I forget my cell phone! You’d think my life came to a screeching halt lol!

I will confess that most of the time I wish I could move out into the country have only a land line and no internet or cell phone. Just shut off from the overstimulated world we are living in these days.

I can tell you that much of my time is spent on my two cell phones, multiple emails, text messages, IM, apps, faxes, tv, dvr, and whatever else you can think of. What concerns me most are my children because they grew up with the DSi, Wii, cell phones, computers, etc and know nothing different… I do. How will they function when it comes to human connection? My older one is so consumed with all his electronic stimulation it worries me.

I would love to just live one with nature and spend more time outside and with family (& friends). Be able to actually visit someone at home for an update on life rather than getting updated via facebook. I’d rather receive my invitations in card or phone call form rather than via facebook or calendar invite. I’d rather meet a possibility through social interaction or via a friend rather than an online dating site. I would like to see a card in the mail with a hand written note rather than an email card not personalized. It would be nice to be able to let me kids out to play knowing my neighbors would keep an eye on my children as I would theirs. More importantly if there was danger they would intervene rather then turn the other way.

It’s definitely a different world today. We are an overstimulated, demanding, instant gratification society.

Then I wake up and say… keep on dreaming!

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ
Location: Staring at my computer, not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Post by A Random Phrase »

If I were a prophet, I'd prophesy that the time will come when we lose all of our gadgets.

I do believe that as the prophesied events come about that we will lose our technology, thus making us more miserable than if we had never had it because the culture shock will be extreme. But I think it will take something like losing all of our toys for us as a country (and perhaps as a planet, in general) to wake up and look to God for our survival.

uglypitbull
captain of 1,000

Post by uglypitbull »

Without technology.....we will have to go back to roadshow performances for entertainment. :))

I just had to say it....when I was a deacon, we had a roadshow so a few of us dressed up as the Platters and lip-synched to The Great Pretender. Full band recreation complete with a #10 can drum set and all. =)) I had no idea who the Platters were either.

Juliette
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliette »

A Random Phrase wrote:If I were a prophet, I'd prophesy that the time will come when we lose all of our gadgets.

I do believe that as the prophesied events come about that we will lose our technology, thus making us more miserable than if we had never had it because the culture shock will be extreme. But I think it will take something like losing all of our toys for us as a country (and perhaps as a planet, in general) to wake up and look to God for our survival.
Personally, we might be happier without all this technology. We could sit by the campfire and sing again.
Actually, I agree that the culture shock will be extreme.
Good post! :-B

Juliette
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliette »

uglypitbull wrote:Without technology.....we will have to go back to roadshow performances for entertainment. :))

I just had to say it....when I was a deacon, we had a roadshow so a few of us dressed up as the Platters and lip-synched to The Great Pretender. Full band recreation complete with a #10 can drum set and all. =)) I had no idea who the Platters were either.
What is a roadshow? You must really be old!! :-B

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

Oh, most definitely, I think we would be happier without all of this technology. (I'd miss the internet, though.)

I remember roadshows. When I was a kid, every year our stake would have road shows. Every ward would prepare a skit or some other type of entertainment. Then they would travel to each chapel in the stake, performing. They were road shows because they took them on the road. Sometimes, someone was late getting to a ward, and we'd have to wait.

I also remember movies. I can't remember if they charged for the movies, but they sold candy, popcorn, and probably drinks. If they did charge for the movies, it wasn't much. The first time I saw PollyAnna was at one of those.

Then the stake or ward would put on a play once a year. I was in one of those once, and my mother and sisters were in more than one, so I often went to practices. We did "Rich for a Day", "Cinderella" (Roger's and Hammerstein's version - my oldest sister was Cinderella. My mother made a reversible dress. When Cinderella changed into a beautiful dress, they darkened the stage, people came on stage and quickly pulled the dress off my sister inside out and put it back on. The "princess" version was sparkly gold material.). There were others.

Ah, back in the day, when I was a kid.

Juliette
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliette »

A Random Phrase wrote:Oh, most definitely, I think we would be happier without all of this technology. (I'd miss the internet, though.)

I remember roadshows. When I was a kid, every year our stake would have road shows. Every ward would prepare a skit or some other type of entertainment. Then they would travel to each chapel in the stake, performing. They were road shows because they took them on the road. Sometimes, someone was late getting to a ward, and we'd have to wait.

I also remember movies. I can't remember if they charged for the movies, but they sold candy, popcorn, and probably drinks. If they did charge for the movies, it wasn't much. The first time I saw PollyAnna was at one of those.

Then the stake or ward would put on a play once a year. I was in one of those once, and my mother and sisters were in more than one, so I often went to practices. We did "Rich for a Day", "Cinderella" (Roger's and Hammerstein's version - my oldest sister was Cinderella. My mother made a reversible dress. When Cinderella changed into a beautiful dress, they darkened the stage, people came on stage and quickly pulled the dress off my sister inside out and put it back on. The "princess" version was sparkly gold material.). There were others.

Ah, back in the day, when I was a kid.
HAHA! I do remember " Road Shows". Great fun! We also used to do " Play in A Day". You only had 1 day to put it all together and then preform it for the ward that night.

Deborah000
captain of 100

Post by Deborah000 »

I think the loss of "tech-toys" will be a shock for my family too. Part of my preparedness plan includes board games, cards, balls, books, and art supplies. Many of these items can be found quite cheaply at yard sales. I am also working on solar backup power for the tv/dvr to be able to occassionally watch favorite movies. I think in times of stress these comfort activites will be welcome distractions.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

Juliette, that sounds like fun, especially for the outgoing types who don't worry about what people will think.

Deborah, I have added games to my storage, too. We used to play them sometimes. Now the internet, cell phones, and so forth take precedence in my kids' lives, but I'm hopeful that we will get more use out of them yet.

Juliette
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliette »

A Random Phrase wrote:Juliette, that sounds like fun, especially for the outgoing types who don't worry about what people will think.

Deborah, I have added games to my storage, too. We used to play them sometimes. Now the internet, cell phones, and so forth take precedence in my kids' lives, but I'm hopeful that we will get more use out of them yet.
Its all great fun until you walk onstage with your dress tucked into the back of your pantyhose. :ymblushing:

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

Juliette wrote:Its all great fun until you walk onstage with your dress tucked into the back of your pantyhose. :ymblushing:
Oops. :-o

:((

:-ss

:ymblushing:

Post by Like »

What a sad thought.... I could not communicate easily with my family that lives far away from me. It seems like I email my sister several times everyday, my postage expenses would go through the roof, totally worth it though..... I sure love my family.

Juliette
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliette »

Like wrote:
What a sad thought.... I could not communicate easily with my family that lives far away from me. It seems like I email my sister several times everyday, my postage expenses would go through the roof, totally worth it though..... I sure love my family.
Yeah, and what about skype? Its so fun to talk and see each other. :( Our future is going to be very different. We might be stretching a string between 2 cans again. haha

Post by Like »

instead of texting.... how about smoke signals

Juliette
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliette »

Like wrote:instead of texting.... how about smoke signals

How to Read Native American Smoke Signals
By Michele Angel del Rio, eHow Contributor

Print this article
The mere sight of smoke is very telling. Clouds of smoke could signify a brush fire, a wall of smoke may mean a forest fire, while a single stream of smoke merely indicates campers are nearby. Many streams of smoke tells you there's a village there. Intentional or not, smoke itself is a tool of communication, its use going back to our earliest contact with fire. The ability to transmit messages across great distances makes this ancient visual method very efficient, valuable and essential in the old days during both peace and wartime across North America.

Anyone who can attach meaning to symbol can learn to "read" smoke signals. Chimps and apes can do it. Eyesight is about the only requirement. Likely, some of our understanding of the meaning of smoke may even be intuitive by now, the mere sight of smoke setting off potential danger alerts deep within our brains

Read more: How to Read Native American Smoke Signals | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_5686316_read-na ... z1mbpTlSgu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Juliette
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliette »

Drum communication?

Developed from hollow tree trunks, and used by cultures living in deforested areas, drums served as an early form of long distance communication, and were used during ceremonial and religious functions.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

:)) Funny.

It would be quite a culture shock for all of us, wouldn't it?

For myself, there are some Forums/blogs that I would seriously miss (like this one).
I wouldn't be able to communicate easily with the friend I have intense discussions with about spiritual things.
I wouldn't be able to communicate with my daughter who is going to school in southern Utah.
I wouldn't be able to research like I can with the internet.
If even our computers were down, that would remove word processing programs, games, ways to watch/listen to firesides and such.
If phones of all kinds were included.
If vehicles of all kinds were included. . . . You know this could really put us into the dark ages couldn't it?

Drums and smoke signals. Horns might work, too. (Ram's horns, oboes, trumpets.)

Post by Like »

pigeons as messengers??

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

Okay, you guys are getting really, really creative. The human spirit is still strong!

Juliette
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliette »

Dolphins?
Scientists say that dolphins may also use clicking to communicate.

( cool picture of President Monson!)

Juliette
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliette »

A Random Phrase wrote:
:)) Funny.

It would be quite a culture shock for all of us, wouldn't it?

For myself, there are some Forums/blogs that I would seriously miss (like this one).
I wouldn't be able to communicate easily with the friend I have intense discussions with about spiritual things.
I wouldn't be able to communicate with my daughter who is going to school in southern Utah.
I wouldn't be able to research like I can with the internet.
If even our computers were down, that would remove word processing programs, games, ways to watch/listen to firesides and such.
If phones of all kinds were included.
If vehicles of all kinds were included. . . . You know this could really put us into the dark ages couldn't it?

Drums and smoke signals. Horns might work, too. (Ram's horns, oboes, trumpets.)
SCARY! ( if we are prepared , we shall not fear)

Juliette
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliette »

DEPLOYABLE SONAR SYSTEMS FOR UNDERWATER
COMMUNICATIONS?

Oh wait, I guess we won't be using submarines. Darn, I always wanted a ride! ( however, I've been on the one at Disneyland!) LOLOL!

AmericanBulldog
captain of 100

Post by AmericanBulldog »

I, for one, welcome a world without technology.

sadie_Mormon
captain of 1,000

Post by sadie_Mormon »

Juliette wrote:Personally, we might be happier without all this technology. We could sit by the campfire and sing again.
Actually, I agree that the culture shock will be extreme.

I would imagine that initially we would all be in a state of shock without the technology. It would take most of us some time to adjust to that change. I would take it as a welcome change. It would force to get out of our comfort zone.

Can you imagine some of these forum discussions that happen on this board happening face to face :-o It would be like the old days where it would be settled with 2 men with their guns drawn =))