Jack Monnett's new book "When The Lights Went Out" EMP Scena

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
creator
(of the Forum)

Jack Monnett's new book "When The Lights Went Out" EMP Scena

Post by creator »

I was able to review Jack Monnett's upcoming book "When The Lights Went Out" (an LDS EMP Scenario) and am also in the process of editing the Audio book.

This one is different than other books he's written, it's about 140 pages, and is a fictional novel about what life might be like after an EMP attack...

I enjoyed the book (you might see my endorsement on the back cover).

Here's the introduction to give you a better idea:
Introduction
This book is neither doctrine nor prophecy of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, but is a work of fiction. The characters are not real persons but are composites of many Church members who most likely would act as they are portrayed. The thoughts expressed are those of the author and are not to be understood as warnings by LDS leaders.
The Electro Magnetic Pulse (EMP) is a real war tool that does threaten the United States. Several countries that are opposed to American intervention abroad do currently have technology—not only to create such a weapon but to detonate it.
Whether such an event happens or not, the preparations expressed in this short novel are part of our religion. Planning for unexpected emergencies —in food, water, and other necessary supplies—has always been a hallmark of LDS teaching.
The reader will notice many parallels in this account and people of the Book of Mormon. It is the warning voice for our generation.
CONFIRMED: Jack Monnett will be speaking on Friday Oct 7, 2011 at 7pm.
The meeting will be at the old Highland City Building on the corner of Alpine Highway (SR74) and 10400 in Highland, Utah.

NOW AVAILABLE TO PURCHASE:

Paperback Book: "When the Lights Went" Out by Jack Monnett

Audio Book (2-disc Audio CD): "When the Lights Went" Out by Jack Monnett

Audio Book (MP3 CD): "When the Lights Went" Out by Jack Monnett

believer
captain of 1,000

Re: Jack Monnett's new book "When The Lights Went Out" EMP S

Post by believer »

Thanks for the heads up. When will the book be out, and where can you get it.

Thanks.

Believer

kathyn
captain of 1,000

Post by kathyn »

Yes, when and how can we get the book?

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

The book should be available within two weeks (first opportunity may be at the Highland, UT meeting). I'll likely be selling it on my online store ( http://www.latterdayconservative.com/store" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ), I'll also post updates regarding local stores that might sell it... Jack will likely do a series of lectures and sell them at those at well.

HeirofNumenor
the Heir Of Numenor

Post by HeirofNumenor »

BrianM wrote:The book should be available within two weeks (first opportunity may be at the Highland, UT meeting). I'll likely be selling it on my online store ( http://www.latterdayconservative.com/store" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ), I'll also post updates regarding local stores that might sell it... Jack will likely do a series of lectures and sell them at those at well.

AWESOME! I look forward to the book.

Oldemandalton
captain of 1,000

Post by Oldemandalton »

Brian just curious, who in Jack's book sets off the EMP? I loved "One Second After ". Be interesting to read an LDS perspective.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

Hmmm, good question. I don't recall that any conclusion was made on that... though the people suspected it was china or russia.

As I'm continuing to edit the audio book I'll let you know if I find anything different.

uglypitbull
captain of 1,000

Post by uglypitbull »

Brian,
Can you provide details on the Highland meeting as soon as you get them? My father in law lives there and I would love for him to go ..... and heck, he might as well pick me up a copy while he is there. :)

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

Jack Monnett will be speaking on Friday Oct 7, 2011. I don't know the exact time yet... probably 6:30 or 7pm.

The meeting will be at the old Highland City Building on the corner of Alpine Highway (SR74) and 10400 in Highland, Utah.

uglypitbull
captain of 1,000

Post by uglypitbull »

excellent! thank you!

Hope he can make it down here to AZ for a speaking engagement.. I know I would be interested.

HeirofNumenor
the Heir Of Numenor

Post by HeirofNumenor »

BrianM wrote:Jack Monnett will be speaking on Friday Oct 7, 2011. I don't know the exact time yet... probably 6:30 or 7pm.

AWESOME! I hope I can get there...

Oldemandalton
captain of 1,000

Post by Oldemandalton »

This would be a very easy way to kill tens of millions of Americans and could be done by any nation or terrorist group with access to a nuke, a Scud missile, and a ship.

http://www.wnd.com/?pageId=43455
http://www.wnd.com/?pageId=30113
http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=43956
http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=44017

You can buy a Scud for $4 million.
http://edition.cnn.com/2002/fyi/news/12/10/scud/

Russia and China could launch them from a submarine and North Korea, Pakistan and soon Iran have nuke warheads. Any one of these countries could ‘lose’ one or two to terrorists.

Who launched the missile off the California coast last November?

tsc
captain of 100

Post by tsc »

I wonder if an EMP would affect those who have pacemakers?

Tribunal
captain of 1,000

Post by Tribunal »

tsc wrote:I wonder if an EMP would affect those who have pacemakers?
Oh yes! EMP technology was advance enough in the late 90's to neutralizing the electrical spark that caused the heart to beat, causing the heart to shut down. Or even the electricity in the brain.

Imagine an entire city where the people just 'turned off'!

Oldemandalton
captain of 1,000

Post by Oldemandalton »

Here is a great 4 part article at Preparedness Pro on how to prepare for an EMP attack;

http://preparednesspro.wordpress.com/20 ... n-the-u-s/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://preparednesspro.wordpress.com/20 ... aftermath/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://preparednesspro.wordpress.com/20 ... medically/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://preparednesspro.wordpress.com/20 ... aday-cage/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A microwave oven makes a great faraday cage so when mine went out a few years ago I cut the cord off and is now where I store my walkie-talkies and extra computer for my M715 (it’s got a 1980 360cu now ;) ).

As for pacemakers there will be no effect.

http://oai.dtic.mil/oai/oai?verb=getRec ... =ADA242990" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Other small items like cell phones and small radios may not be affected also but I won’t take that chance. That’s why they’re in my dead microwave. Of course there will be no cell towers working nor AM/FM/TV stations either.

http://www.thesurvivalistblog.net/emp-u ... rmeasures/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just hope I don't have to use the stuff in my faraday cage. :-ss

OMD

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

CONFIRMED: Jack Monnett will be speaking on Friday Oct 7, 2011 at 7pm.

RSVP via email to brian (at) latterdayconservative.com

Oldemandalton
captain of 1,000

Post by Oldemandalton »

Whenis he coming to Las Vegas? :)

John Locke
captain of 1,000

Post by John Locke »

Oldemandalton wrote: Who launched the missile off the California coast last November?
That would be the United States Air Force....It was a satellite launch gone wrong basically.

Oldemandalton
captain of 1,000

Post by Oldemandalton »

Curious, John, when asked by the media the government said they had no idea what it was. Do you have a reference for this ‘satellite launch’?

farfromhome
captain of 100

Post by farfromhome »

I read Jack's book...

Please take a few minutes to look at it... before you buy, would you? Jack is a GREAT guy; but IMHO, if "One Second After" was realistic, Jack has taken a completely different tack that could even be misleading about how bad an EMP attack will be.

In a town of 700, only 23 people die over the first winter in his book. Most reports that I've seen put the dying- % at around 70% or even more, mostly due to starvation... Also, the electric grid is back on in about a year and a half in his book. Realistic??

OK -- I'll ask you to decide if this is realistic enough, or "EMP-ultra-lite".

Tribunal
captain of 1,000

Post by Tribunal »

John Locke wrote:
Oldemandalton wrote: Who launched the missile off the California coast last November?
That would be the United States Air Force....It was a satellite launch gone wrong basically.
The Air Force launched a satellite from the water? From a submarine? WOW! That's really expensive! Why not launch from the Air Force Base closer inland? The Air Force base is so close yet they launch from the water? OK!

John Locke
captain of 1,000

Post by John Locke »

Oldemandalton wrote:Curious, John, when asked by the media the government said they had no idea what it was. Do you have a reference for this ‘satellite launch’?
Guess I should have clarified more. The satellite launch went wrong, the rocket was launched to deal with it. My sister in law was the one tracking the whole thing...is her job with the air force.

John Locke
captain of 1,000

Post by John Locke »

Tribunal wrote:
John Locke wrote:
The Air Force launched a satellite from the water? From a submarine? WOW! That's really expensive! Why not launch from the Air Force Base closer inland? The Air Force base is so close yet they launch from the water? OK!
and it wasn't launched from a sub where are you getting this?

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

farfromhome wrote:IMHO, if "One Second After" was realistic, Jack has taken a completely different tack that could even be misleading about how bad an EMP attack will be.
So, you're basing the accuracy of Jack's book on the accuracy of someone else's book?! What if both are accurate? What if "One Second After" is not accurate? Does it really matter?
farfromhome wrote: In a town of 700, only 23 people die over the first winter in his book. Most reports that I've seen put the dying- % at around 70% or even more, mostly due to starvation...

But the book is based on a small Southern-Utah LDS town. The results are likely not going to be the same considering that such a town is statistically going to have a higher percentage of people with food storage, emergency preparedness and/or at least farming/gardening/survival skills. We're not talking about Salt Lake City, New York, Chicago, etc.

farfromhome wrote:Also, the electric grid is back on in about a year and a half in his book. Realistic??

Actually I recall it being three years until the power grid was back on (the book is still fresh in my mind). Realistic? I don't know for sure.

Based on my experience living in Haiti for two years where we weren't able to rely much on the power grid, I felt the book was realistic enough. I wasn't living in the exact same scenario, but I could relate better to many things as a result of living in Haiti. I don't think anyone will really know exactly what will happen in such a scenario until it actually happens (and if it happens), and even then it will be a different experience for each town, city, state, etc.

Yes I will be selling Jack's book so I suppose you could say I have a good reason to defend it, but honestly I really enjoyed the book. I see the book as something that gives people a closer look into what life might be like after such a disaster. I especially like the fact that it is about an LDS community, it brings the story closer to home. It's not the accuracy of the book that's important to me, it's what the book is teaching that you can apply in your life right now to be better prepared for the future. Similarly, Sarah Menet comes to mind. She's been wrong about several things but as a result of my parents attending some of her meetings they got better prepared with food storage and emergency supplies.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

reminder bump - Jack is speaking Friday... see first post or http://www.ldsfreedomforum.com/viewtopi ... =8&t=19380" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;