For discussion of political issues in general.

Reasons NOT to vote for Ron Paul.

Postby »

The title is a bit deceptive and please forgive me for starting yet another Ron Paul thread. You probably clicked it to find a list of reasons why you shouldn't vote for him. Well, I'm personally challenging anyone to cite legitimate reasons to give your vote to someone else besides him, even if you are his supporter. His voting history/record? His character? His values? His....religion???

Why is he NOT the best candidate? Anything?? :-?
22 So foolish was I, and ignorant: I was as a beast before thee.
23 Nevertheless I am continually with thee: thou hast holden me by my right hand.
24 Thou shalt guide me with thy counsel, and afterward receive me to glory.
coachmarc
My own worst enemy

User avatar
 
Posts: 5656
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:09 am


Advertisements

Sponsored links
 

Re: Reasons NOT to vote for Ron Paul.

Postby »

Voting for Ron Paul is taking a vote away from a candidate that can be elected president, and therefore contributes to the Obama re-election effort.

I know I am the Devil for saying this. Just keeping it real.
Faith, then, is the first great governing principle which has power, dominion, and authority over all things; ... Without it there is no power...
(Joseph Smith, Lectures on Faith, Lecture First 24)
SpeedRacer
captain of 1,000

User avatar
 
Posts: 1743
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:26 am
Location: Virginia, just outside of D.C.

Re: Reasons NOT to vote for Ron Paul.

Postby »

Because Jesus is the best choice.
"As nations cannot be rewarded or punished in the next world, they must be in this. By an inevitable chain of causes and effects, providence punishes national sins by national calamities." George Mason
ktg
captain of 100
 
Posts: 847
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:43 pm

Re: Reasons NOT to vote for Ron Paul.

Postby »

Ron Paul stands up like a Salmon swimming upstream. Whether he is elected or not, it is his message we vote for by voting for him. It has never been about him, it is about his message: A Constitutional America. Yes, it will be hard work and there is or will be a lot of sacrifice required to get this country back to where it needs to be, but when the Savior comes, it is not going to be any easier. Right now we are called of the Savior to stand up for truth and righteousness. What are we doing to get this message across? Ron Paul at least preaches a message that this country was meant to be something that it is currently not. It is not the man as much as his message we should be standing behind! (IMHO)
Songbird
captain of 1,000

User avatar
 
Posts: 1568
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:12 pm
Location: South Central Iowa

Re: Reasons NOT to vote for Ron Paul.

Postby »

His foreign policy is a disaster. And he actually hasn't accomplished anything. He just says all the stuff we like to hear, but doesn't change anything.
Nan
captain of 1,000
 
Posts: 1875
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:44 pm
Location: texas

Re: Reasons NOT to vote for Ron Paul.

Postby »

Songbird, that is a wonderful answer and I agree. But you're making a case FOR our friend. That's not what I'm looking for. This is purely for the sake of debate.

SpeedRacer, you have offered a compelling and thought provoking answer. I look forward to hearing any other truly compelling reasons, if there are any. If nobody here can, then it stands to reason that nobody else--family, friends, neighbors, coworkers, etc--will be able to either. And if someone here can, then I will have an intelligent reply/rebuttal for them, in which case, Songbird's reply would make a greater impact.

So far the media, as far as I can tell, can't find any dirt on him. So they simply ridicule him. And saying the Holy Ghost answered your prayer is not acceptable. I've already read two different people receiving an answer to vote for two different candidates.
Last edited by coachmarc on Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
22 So foolish was I, and ignorant: I was as a beast before thee.
23 Nevertheless I am continually with thee: thou hast holden me by my right hand.
24 Thou shalt guide me with thy counsel, and afterward receive me to glory.
coachmarc
My own worst enemy

User avatar
 
Posts: 5656
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:09 am

Re: Reasons NOT to vote for Ron Paul.

Postby »

Nan wrote:His foreign policy is a disaster.


Can you be more specific?

Nan wrote:And he actually hasn't accomplished anything. He just says all the stuff we like to hear, but doesn't change anything.


Fair enough, but then isn't his voting record in and of itself a feat? Contrast that with anything Obama accomplished before being elected. And who hasn't said all the stuff we like to hear? He's gotta say something. And if they all say that, then we have to fall back on their record, whatever it may be. He's gotta say something. You gotta start somewhere.
22 So foolish was I, and ignorant: I was as a beast before thee.
23 Nevertheless I am continually with thee: thou hast holden me by my right hand.
24 Thou shalt guide me with thy counsel, and afterward receive me to glory.
coachmarc
My own worst enemy

User avatar
 
Posts: 5656
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:09 am

Re: Reasons NOT to vote for Ron Paul.

Postby »

Nan wrote:His foreign policy is a disaster. And he actually hasn't accomplished anything. He just says all the stuff we like to hear, but doesn't change anything.


Wow. I'd like to hear your foreign policy ideas? You think we should be in all the conflicts that we are?

Hasn't accomplished anything? After 30 years of preaching in the wilderness, the entire debate this election cycle is CENTERED around his ideas. Ending the Fed or auditing the fed would not even be part of the CONVERSATION without Ron Paul.

Maybe he hasn't gotten a lot of legislation with his name on it passed. So what? He is One out of 435. Most of our problems arenot due to good legislation not being passed, it is due to bad legislation which Ron Paul has a perfect record of voting against...you can't hold him responsible for things that passed over his protest - often he was the lone vote or in the extreme minority voting against...not sure what you think he should have done that he didn't.
Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

User avatar
 
Posts: 9051
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:35 pm

Re: Reasons NOT to vote for Ron Paul.

Postby »

He asks us to ignore the truth if we care about him (not the Constitution but him).
Legion
Level 34 Illuminated

User avatar
 
Posts: 14407
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:26 am

Re: Reasons NOT to vote for Ron Paul.

Postby »

Jason wrote:He asks us to ignore the truth if we care about him (not the Constitution but him).

What does that mean, you say things like this alot without explaining what you mean, what good is that!
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil. God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
moonwhim
captain of 1,000

User avatar
 
Posts: 3640
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:00 pm

Re: Reasons NOT to vote for Ron Paul.

Postby »

moonwhim wrote:
Jason wrote:He asks us to ignore the truth if we care about him (not the Constitution but him).

What does that mean, you say things like this alot without explaining what you mean, what good is that!



Legion
Level 34 Illuminated

User avatar
 
Posts: 14407
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:26 am

Re: Reasons NOT to vote for Ron Paul.

Postby »

That seems pretty weak Jason. Do any of the other cadidates say that 911 was an inside job?
"As nations cannot be rewarded or punished in the next world, they must be in this. By an inevitable chain of causes and effects, providence punishes national sins by national calamities." George Mason
ktg
captain of 100
 
Posts: 847
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:43 pm

Re: Reasons NOT to vote for Ron Paul.

Postby »

In my efforts to make many LDSs of my acquaintance aware of the virtues of Ron Paul as a presidential candidate I have listened to and read various reasons given by LDSs who are looking for reasons to disuade themselves as well as others from voting for Paul and vote for Romney. Here are the main reasons (in my words) these LDS people have given me for discounting Ron Paul.

He is not popular and hasn't a chance of winning the GOP primary and is considered something of a joke by most American voters
A vote for Paul is one vote less and badly needed by Romney
He is not presidential material
We desperately need a Priesthood holder as US President
He does not have the business success that Romney has.
Since he is not a Priesthood holder he cannot receive inspiration from the Lord.

It seems to me that most LDS voters, who are generally not politically astute, think an active LDS is the best answer for America now and some even think the Lord is giving us this opportunity to support a good, worthy Priesthood holder.
lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated
 
Posts: 6573
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:48 pm
Location: Mesa, Arizona

Re: Reasons NOT to vote for Ron Paul.

Postby »

there won't be an election?
There are no mysteries, only undiscovered truths, have you found one today?
sbsion
captain of 1,000
 
Posts: 3943
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 2:55 pm
Location: Ephraim, Utah

Re: Reasons NOT to vote for Ron Paul.

Postby »

ktg wrote:That seems pretty weak Jason. Do any of the other cadidates say that 911 was an inside job?


RP refutes the 9/11 gov't consiracy therory--that's a fact. He said so in the debates. So I don't understand why so many of you (it seems like all of the 9/11 consiracy supporters support RP here) support him who is in complete opposition to your beliefs about 9/11?
Revelation 7:16-17
durangout
captain of 1,000

User avatar
 
Posts: 2388
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:18 pm
Location: Bugged out man, WAY out

Re: Reasons NOT to vote for Ron Paul.

Postby »

ktg wrote:That seems pretty weak Jason. Do any of the other cadidates say that 911 was an inside job?


The thread asked for a reason NOT to vote for Ron Paul (no mention of other candidates).....I provided one. Whether it is weak or not (meaningful, just noise, pointless, etc) is up to the respective individual. That's one of the best I can come up with (only put out a single reason - i.e. no list).....so if you want to get all huffy puffy defensive....go ahead. lundbaek listed 6....where's the response to him?
Legion
Level 34 Illuminated

User avatar
 
Posts: 14407
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:26 am

Re: Reasons NOT to vote for Ron Paul.

Postby »

durangout wrote:
ktg wrote:That seems pretty weak Jason. Do any of the other cadidates say that 911 was an inside job?


RP refutes the 9/11 gov't consiracy therory--that's a fact. He said so in the debates. So I don't understand why so many of you (it seems like all of the 9/11 consiracy supporters support RP here) support him who is in complete opposition to your beliefs about 9/11?


It is ironic is it not.....
Legion
Level 34 Illuminated

User avatar
 
Posts: 14407
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:26 am

Re: Reasons NOT to vote for Ron Paul.

Postby »

Nan wrote:His foreign policy is a disaster. And he actually hasn't accomplished anything. He just says all the stuff we like to hear, but doesn't change anything.


Oh yeah, Ron Paul Bears an Empty Pot For Americans
http://www.newsli.com/2007/12/06/presidential-candidate-ron-paul-bears-an-empty-pot-for-americans
AllTen
captain of 100
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:35 pm

Re: Reasons NOT to vote for Ron Paul.

Postby »

Read "The Great and Abominable Church" by Verlen Andersen. It totally changed my thinking when it comes to voting. He points out that he believes (and I agree) that we will be judged based on what laws and people we support in government. It comes down to the war in heaven isn't over... it's just been extended to this earthly existence. I believe Ron Paul is the only candidate that truly supports freedom of choice (God's plan and constitutionalism). I'm not going to vote for someone just because "it's a vote for/against" some other candidate. I have to support God's plan of freedom. It's my belief that nobody else does.

-- LateOutOfBed
LateOutOfBed
captain of 100

User avatar
 
Posts: 591
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:14 pm

Re: Reasons NOT to vote for Ron Paul.

Postby »

durangout wrote:
ktg wrote:That seems pretty weak Jason. Do any of the other candidates say that 911 was an inside job?


RP refutes the 9/11 gov't conspiracy theory--that's a fact. He said so in the debates. So I don't understand why so many of you (it seems like all of the 9/11 conspiracy supporters support RP here) support him who is in complete opposition to your beliefs about 9/11?


The Irony! It was after I learned about 9/11 and the truth of our Awful Situation that I become a dedicated supporter of Ron Paul. I agree with many that it would be nice to have a candidate that fully understands our awful situation and spoke with courage on the topic. My opinion: Ron is just too good of a guy to see how deep the corruption is around him. If he says that 9/11 was not an inside Job, then it is what he truly believes and the master deception of that day even got him, but the amazing thing, to his credit, he never sacrificed our Liberties (Constitution) for safety in its aftermath.
AllTen
captain of 100
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:35 pm

Re: Reasons NOT to vote for Ron Paul.

Postby »

Here's what separates Ron from all of the others...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6D3uPLl ... h_response
"Truth is in history, but history is not the truth." - Nicolás Gómez Dávila
Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

User avatar
 
Posts: 14442
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:04 pm
Location: Utah County

Re: Reasons NOT to vote for Ron Paul.

Postby »

AllTen wrote:
durangout wrote:
ktg wrote:That seems pretty weak Jason. Do any of the other candidates say that 911 was an inside job?


RP refutes the 9/11 gov't conspiracy theory--that's a fact. He said so in the debates. So I don't understand why so many of you (it seems like all of the 9/11 conspiracy supporters support RP here) support him who is in complete opposition to your beliefs about 9/11?


The Irony! It was after I learned about 9/11 and the truth of our Awful Situation that I become a dedicated supporter of Ron Paul. I agree with many that it would be nice to have a candidate that fully understands our awful situation and spoke with courage on the topic. My opinion: Ron is just too good of a guy to see how deep the corruption is around him. If he says that 9/11 was not an inside Job, then it is what he truly believes and the master deception of that day even got him, but the amazing thing, to his credit, he never sacrificed our Liberties (Constitution) for safety in its aftermath.


Legion
Level 34 Illuminated

User avatar
 
Posts: 14407
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:26 am

Re: Reasons NOT to vote for Ron Paul.

Postby »

Jason wrote: lundbaek listed 6....where's the response to him?



Take a deep breath. I can't spend 24/7 on this site.

I responded to yours because as far as I know, no other candidates believe any differently on that subject, so it would be impossible to select another based on that.
Last edited by ktg on Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"As nations cannot be rewarded or punished in the next world, they must be in this. By an inevitable chain of causes and effects, providence punishes national sins by national calamities." George Mason
ktg
captain of 100
 
Posts: 847
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:43 pm

Re: Reasons NOT to vote for Ron Paul.

Postby »

durangout wrote:RP refutes the 9/11 gov't consiracy therory--that's a fact. He said so in the debates. So I don't understand why so many of you (it seems like all of the 9/11 consiracy supporters support RP here) support him who is in complete opposition to your beliefs about 9/11?


If supporting EVERY view of your candidate is required, who do you support?
"As nations cannot be rewarded or punished in the next world, they must be in this. By an inevitable chain of causes and effects, providence punishes national sins by national calamities." George Mason
ktg
captain of 100
 
Posts: 847
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:43 pm

Re: Reasons NOT to vote for Ron Paul.

Postby »

LateOutOfBed wrote:Read "The Great and Abominable Church" by Verlen Andersen. It totally changed my thinking when it comes to voting. He points out that he believes (and I agree) that we will be judged based on what laws and people we support in government. It comes down to the war in heaven isn't over... it's just been extended to this earthly existence. I believe Ron Paul is the only candidate that truly supports freedom of choice (God's plan and constitutionalism). I'm not going to vote for someone just because "it's a vote for/against" some other candidate. I have to support God's plan of freedom. It's my belief that nobody else does.

-- LateOutOfBed


Elder Andersen's books changed the way I think as well.
If only more people would read his books. Others and I have even posted where the books can be downloaded for free, but we all have our agency.

Pres. Benson's books and books he's recommended (None dare call it conspiracy) also support RP's foreign policy.
"As nations cannot be rewarded or punished in the next world, they must be in this. By an inevitable chain of causes and effects, providence punishes national sins by national calamities." George Mason
ktg
captain of 100
 
Posts: 847
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:43 pm

Re: Reasons NOT to vote for Ron Paul.

Postby »

Jason wrote:
durangout wrote:
ktg wrote:That seems pretty weak Jason. Do any of the other cadidates say that 911 was an inside job?


RP refutes the 9/11 gov't consiracy therory--that's a fact. He said so in the debates. So I don't understand why so many of you (it seems like all of the 9/11 consiracy supporters support RP here) support him who is in complete opposition to your beliefs about 9/11?


It is ironic is it not.....



right on Jason, this alone would be PROOF enough he hasn't researched on of the most important events of the last decaDE 8-|
There are no mysteries, only undiscovered truths, have you found one today?
sbsion
captain of 1,000
 
Posts: 3943
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 2:55 pm
Location: Ephraim, Utah

Re: Reasons NOT to vote for Ron Paul.

Postby »

sbsion wrote:
Jason wrote:
durangout wrote:RP refutes the 9/11 gov't consiracy therory--that's a fact. He said so in the debates. So I don't understand why so many of you (it seems like all of the 9/11 consiracy supporters support RP here) support him who is in complete opposition to your beliefs about 9/11?


It is ironic is it not.....



right on Jason, this alone would be PROOF enough he hasn't researched on of the most important events of the last decaDE 8-|


Or that he's just another politician willing to compromise in order to gain popularity and votes....
Legion
Level 34 Illuminated

User avatar
 
Posts: 14407
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:26 am

Re: Reasons NOT to vote for Ron Paul.

Postby »

AllTen wrote:
Nan wrote:His foreign policy is a disaster. And he actually hasn't accomplished anything. He just says all the stuff we like to hear, but doesn't change anything.


Oh yeah, Ron Paul Bears an Empty Pot For Americans
http://www.newsli.com/2007/12/06/presidential-candidate-ron-paul-bears-an-empty-pot-for-americans



Good article... :)
"Yet it is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know...What weather they shall have is not ours to rule."
HeirofNumenor
the Heir Of Numenor

User avatar
 
Posts: 4271
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:15 pm
Location: UT

Re: Reasons NOT to vote for Ron Paul.

Postby »

SpeedRacerLFF - The way I see it since the primaries aren't over yet RP would be competing against other Republicans which does nothing to empower Obama. If RP looses the Primaries all of the RP supporters could use their vote at that point in time to vote for the status quo R which also does nothing to help Obama.

Lundbaek- Not sure if you were being facetious but voting for Romney because he's Mormon is like voting for Obama because he's black. I'm Mormon and I'd make a horrible president. God can inspire anyone he chooses, priesthood holder or not. The founding fathers weren't priesthood holders, the Book of Mormon (and Christopher Columbus himself) implies that CC was inspired.

Someone else on some other thread made a comment about drugs and not supporting Ron Paul. A joint is a beer. I can't see how this country can lock someone up on the sole basis of having something in their possesion that the government says you're not supposed to have. Yet most people getting DUI's won't even do any prison time at all, they pay 1000 fine and they go on their merry way. Try getting a DUI in Europe or Japan and see what happens. The way I see it this country wants a strong police force, I would venture to say at least 90% of crime is drug related so by making pot illegal justifies the establishments strong police force which they intend to use against us. As one said: " Everyone is guilty of something we just haven't found them and put them in jail yet"
Governments derive their just powers from the consent of the governed.
wolfman
captain of 100
 
Posts: 264
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:13 am

Re: Reasons NOT to vote for Ron Paul.

Postby »

Some very good replies, thank you! This weekend I will read through them more thoroughly including the links and then list them in my first post to keep things organized. Some initial thoughts of mine are--yes, the war in heaven is still waging and we fight with our testimonies (missionary work is still happening), and while I'm not necessarily bearing my testimony about any candidate, my vote to support one who understands and upholds (words AND actions) liberty MUST be the correct choice. What's the point of voting for any candidate who will just bring us more of the status quo regardless of which side of the aisle he/she is on??

I also do not believe in voting for a candidate simply because we share the same religion. I agree the Lord can call and inspire others of different faiths. Our founding fathers are the most obvious examples and THEY are the reason that I can worship as a faithful member of the LDS church (and why anyone else can CHOOSE to worship or not as they choose. Thank you to those who have answered my question/challenge specifically. At this point in time, I am not interested in other candidates, as much as I may respect any number of them (besides, creating threads about reasons NOT to vote for anyone else would be far too easily answered). More thoughts forthcoming.
22 So foolish was I, and ignorant: I was as a beast before thee.
23 Nevertheless I am continually with thee: thou hast holden me by my right hand.
24 Thou shalt guide me with thy counsel, and afterward receive me to glory.
coachmarc
My own worst enemy

User avatar
 
Posts: 5656
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:09 am

Next

Return to General Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bbrown, believer, Col. Flagg, Daryl, ejohn162, Ezra, Jb27, jsw, theBruceGuy, Watchdog and 73 guests