(To be read in sacrament meeting)

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
infowarrior
captain of 100

(To be read in sacrament meeting)

Post by infowarrior »

Dear Brother and Sisters:

Self-awareness Groups

We have repeatedly warned of the risks inherent in participating in so-called "self-awareness" groups sponsored by commercial enterprises that promise heightened self-esteem, improved family relationships, and increased spirituality. It has come to our attention that some of these enterprises continue to express or imply church endorsement, thereby attracting members of the Church to their programs.

The Church has not endorsed any such enterprise. We warn that these programs are not in harmony with Church doctrine or gospel principles. Church members should not participate in groups that:

1. Challenge religious and moral values
2. Advocate confrontation with spouse or family members as a means of reaching one's potential.
3. Imitate sacred rites or ceremonies.
4. Foster physical contact among participants.
5. Meet late into the evening or in the early-morning hours.
6. Encourage open confession or disclosure of personal information normally discussed only in confidential settings.
7. Cause a husband or wife to be paired with other partners.

Once again, we counsel members against participating in such "self-awareness" activities.

Sincerely yours,
The First Presidency

Shimdidly
captain of 100

Re: (To be read in sacrament meeting)

Post by Shimdidly »

This was read to us in sacrament meeting a couple weeks ago. I've never heard of it until the First Presidency made an announcement about it though.

Mahonri
Master
Location: Where you want to be when crap hits the fan, but I'm not telling.

Post by Mahonri »

it is being read again? It is almost a decade old now. I wonder what is going on to bring this up again? Perhaps the resurgence of the Masons claiming you can be both a good Mormon and a Mason (an idea clearly debunked in the above letter)?

Post by Like »

This was read in my ward yesterday as well. But I first time heard of the letter was here on the forum from kathyn. http://ldsfreedomforum.com/./viewtopic.php?f=32&t=14492

Post by Like »

We also had this one read to us
Member communications with Church Headquarters

In a letter dated Oct. 6, the First Presidency wrote:

Dear Brethren and Sisters:

Members of the Church continue to place telephone calls and write letters to Church headquarters about doctrinal issues and personal matters. By reason of their callings, local leaders are entitled to the spirit of discernment and inspiration to enable them to counsel members within their jurisdiction.

Accordingly, correspondence from members will be referred back to their local leaders for handling. Stake presidents who have need for further clarification about doctrinal or procedural issues may write to the First Presidency in behalf of their members.

It is our desire that all members will feel they have the support and guidance they need; however, all things should be done in wisdom and order. We believe that both members and local leaders will be blessed as they pray and counsel together in an effort to resolve matters of concern to them.

Signed by the First Presidency:

Thomas S. Monson

Henry B. Eyring

Dieter F. Uchtdorf

http://www.ldschurchnews.com/articles/6 ... dency.html

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

Mahonri wrote:it is being read again? It is almost a decade old now. I wonder what is going on to bring this up again? Perhaps the resurgence of the Masons claiming you can be both a good Mormon and a Mason (an idea clearly debunked in the above letter)?
I personally believe that much of how the Masons originally operated (before being largely overrun by gadiantons) is VERY similar to how the organization of the temporal Kingdom of God will be set up. There was a lot of good in the Masonic order before they were infiltrated and essentially taken over by the Bavarian Illuminati.

As I am sure you are aware, Joseph Smith was a member at one time as were George Washington and a great number of the founders. Obviously Masonry as currently instituted fits the dscription of an organization to avoid to a "T".

bluberryfish
captain of 50

Post by bluberryfish »

I don't think it's about Masons, I'm pretty sure it has to do with the many "self awareness" groups that a lot of members of the church fall into. Here are some examples: Lifespring, Forum, Landmark, Impact Training. They're pretty dangerous in my opinion. Here is a site with more information if you're interested.

http://www.rickross.com/reference/great ... life1.html

ndjili
captain of 100

Post by ndjili »

I agree OI. People look at the Masons of today and think that is how they always were and dont rrealize it was a totally different organization then than it is now. Obviously it was something that did good as we got many wonderful people from it (i.e. our founding fathers) and it was the one that the illuminati chose to attack and take over.

keeprunning
captain of 100

Post by keeprunning »

bluberryfish wrote:I don't think it's about Masons, I'm pretty sure it has to do with the many "self awareness" groups that a lot of members of the church fall into. Here are some examples: Lifespring, Forum, Landmark, Impact Training. They're pretty dangerous in my opinion. Here is a site with more information if you're interested.

http://www.rickross.com/reference/great ... life1.html
I'm just curious which ones say that they are endorsed by the church (or imply)?

Mahonri
Master

Post by Mahonri »

how can anyone not think the ceremony reference is to towards Masons? Who else does that?

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

Mahonri wrote:how can anyone not think the ceremony reference is to towards Masons? Who else does that?
Without naming names I can think of two Utah groups that fit that ceremony reference and the rest of the descriptions. Its closer than you think, and if they knew who you were, posting on a forum like this, they'd probably try to get you too.

Mahonri
Master

Post by Mahonri »

tribrac wrote:
Mahonri wrote:how can anyone not think the ceremony reference is to towards Masons? Who else does that?
Without naming names I can think of two Utah groups that fit that ceremony reference and the rest of the descriptions. Its closer than you think, and if they knew who you were, posting on a forum like this, they'd probably try to get you too.

was that a threat?

sure others may fit it, but Masons clearly fit the bill as well

please clarify your statement above so I don't take it as a threat

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Cause a husband or wife to be paired with other partners.
I just knew there was something evil about my dad's squaredancing grroup. :mrgreen:

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

Yes, I don't think the letter was a result of the Masons, but other groups, specifically various new-age self-help, self-awareness groups...

And for everyone's reference, here is the 2001 letter and the 2010 letter official church link.

I always heard the 2001 letter was specifically in regards to 'Impact Training', there are similar groups like Landmark Education and the 'Great Life Foundation' that have a decent following here in Utah. My guess is that the letter is directed towards those and the many similar smaller groups, especially here in Utah. Those fit the list much better than the Masons.

The link blueberryfish posted reveals more info about those groups and things related to 'sacred rites and ceremonies'.

@keeprunning, I actually went to an introduction meeting of Landmark education, and have been to other similar meetings, and I know several people that have been through some of their programs, and the Great Life Foundation, they definitely try to make people feel that this stuff does not conflict in anyway with LDS doctrine, and most of these groups mix the philosophies of men with scripture (Bible and Book of Mormon)... it's satanic new age to the core, and does not lead to Christ. (But it's also very deceptive - satan appearing as an angel of light type of thing - so even 'good' LDS will fall for it thinking there is nothing wrong with it)

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

BrianM, I checked out the link -- if anyone wants to see what the New Age seminars are all about that the Church may be making reference to then please check out this:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 4894802811#

Then check out the video at 31 minutes.

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

Sorry, no 'threat' intended, maybe a bit of a warning. All I meant was that there is a long list of things to avoid in that letter. There are apostate groups in Utah that use many of those techniques to recruit.

The group I saw would lock onto LDS members who belived in many of the topics discussed in this forum: Alternative medicine, conspiracy, JBS, Ezra Taft Benson, disent with local leaders, claims to secret or higher knowledge than the 'regular' members. I guess they figured those members were easier to recruite.

Mahonri
Master

Post by Mahonri »

Well, let's name names, let's "warn our neighbor" of who these folks are. Please share with us more than just generalities that wont really do us a whole lot of good in protecting us from such evil influences.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

Fiannan wrote:BrianM, I checked out the link -- if anyone wants to see what the New Age seminars are all about that the Church may be making reference to then please check out this: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 4894802811# Then check out the video at 31 minutes.
Yes, excellent video which shows some of the groups the warning is about... also I watched the other 3 segments of this video series, excellent information on Sigmund Freud and his invention of "public relations" (propaganda).
Well, let's name names, let's "warn our neighbor" of who these folks are. Please share with us more than just generalities that wont really do us a whole lot of good in protecting us from such evil influences.
Yes, more specifics are definitely good. Let's name names... I named these in my previous posts: Impact Training, Landmark Education, Great Life Foundation. Also, since there are so many varieties of small groups people would do well to become educated about the modern new age spirituality movement in general, so they know what to steer clear of.