Recommended Books for Our Time

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
clarkkent14
LBFOJ

Recommended Books for Our Time

Post by clarkkent14 »

I saw a recommendation for a book by NGL on another thread and I thought we could start a recommendation/rating thread for books that pertain to our time. I think that the Book of Mormon is the Key and the most critical to the last days... I call it my "last days survival guide." There are others though that are informative and worth studying. Please try to post only recommendations and reviews, if you want to start a discussion/debate on something specific, start a new thread. (I hope I'm not being redundant by duplicating a thread)

Thread | Recommended Books for LDS Unaware

clarkkent14
LBFOJ

Re: Recommended Books for Our Time

Post by clarkkent14 »

"Coming of the Lord" by Gerald R. Lund | Kindle | Amazon |
NoGreaterLove wrote:I would highly recommend anyone trying to put an order on things to read a book called "Coming of the Lord" by Gerald R. Lund. He lays out the events of the last days in chronological order using the scriptures and other prophecies from the prophets and apostles. It is easy to read, well laid out and very accurate! He relies upon reliable sources and does not go off on tangents from questionable references.

1.Trials of the Saints, Cleansing of America, earthquake, sun darkened, moon to blood, stars. Sign of Son of Man.
2.Establishment of the NJ, AOA, Tranfer of Keys, Begin Millenium, Temple Built, Christ reigns on throne at NJ. Peace for Saints, satan bound in bundles , ready to be burned.
3.Silence, 144000 preach to lost tribes, Lost tribes get endowments at hands of Ephraim in the NJ
4.nations of world gather against OJ. Two prophets testify, Saints lifted up, Christ on his way, calamities unleashed
Jews accept christ, converted, Islam converted,

clarkkent14
LBFOJ

Post by clarkkent14 »

"Prophecy: Key to the Future" by Duane S. Crowther | Amazon | Google Books |

This book really opened my eyes to the reality of the last days events. He gathered all of the last days prophecies he could find and presents them in a logical order according to his discoveries. He does not try to prophecy or get into deep interpretation, but to organize and share the prophecies so you can make sense of them. I don't agree with everything he has presented, but I am glad to have so many good quotes in one place. I will note that upon studying several of the quotes with a little more detail, I noticed he doesn't always give the full context of the quote. It is a good read anyhow, and I give it 4/5 stars.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

There are a few books that I cannot recommend highly enough:

As I have stated numerous times, there are few readings that cram as much value in a small package as "The Law" by Bastiat. It can be easily read in an afternoon, it is easy to understand, and is in my opinion one of the clearest and most potent distillations of pure truth out there. And it is available for free online, including an audio book. (Which I wouldn't recommend, the guy's reading style was quite distracting.)

I agree with you on the Book of Mormon, and recommend H Verlan Anderson's "The Book of Mormon and the Constitution". This book is incredible, and my ensuing cover-to-cover reading of the Book of Mormon itself was filled with moments of enlightenment where concepts that I had never picked up on during previous readings were very clearly impressed upon me.

An Enemy Hath Done This by Ezra Taft Benson can get a little "textbook-ish" at times, but was THE book that woke me up. It is not light reading - not that it is hard to understand, but it simply takes more effort to get through than the previous two books - but effort that will be rewarded greatly in my opinion.

I am currently reading Cleon Skousen's Cleansing of America. From what I have read so far, it is the best book of his that I have read.

clarkkent14
LBFOJ

Post by clarkkent14 »

Prophecy & Modern Times by W. Cleon Skousen | Skousen2000 | Deseret Crook | LDS Audio |

The first book written by W. Cleon Skousen, it explains what lies ahead in the latter days. Using the scriptures and the writings of church leaders, he discusses what we know about the final days before the Second Coming and the commencement of the Millennium. For those of have wondered what the future has in store for us, this book is fascinating reading. This is a simplified version of the last days events, but I love giving this to members as a simplified vesion of what lies ahead. I consider this a "hook" book. If they are interested and asking questions, I refer them on to other books. 5/5 Stars because it's such an easy read. I read it in one Sunday afternoon. I buy 4 or 5 at a time, and give them to family and friends.

A talk on the same subject...

clarkkent14
LBFOJ

Post by clarkkent14 »

The Book of Mormon and the Constitution by H. Verlan Anderson | PDF | Inspired Constitution |
Original_Intent wrote:I agree with you on the Book of Mormon, and recommend H Verlan Anderson's "The Book of Mormon and the Constitution". This book is incredible, and my ensuing cover-to-cover reading of the Book of Mormon itself was filled with moments of enlightenment where concepts that I had never picked up on during previous readings were very clearly impressed upon me.
Presentation by his son...

clarkkent14
LBFOJ

Post by clarkkent14 »

"An Enemy Hath Done This by Ezra Taft Benson" | Archive Publishers | Amazon |
Original_Intent wrote:An Enemy Hath Done This by Ezra Taft Benson can get a little "textbook-ish" at times, but was THE book that woke me up. It is not light reading - not that it is hard to understand, but it simply takes more effort to get through than the previous two books - but effort that will be rewarded greatly in my opinion.

clarkkent14
LBFOJ

Post by clarkkent14 »

"The Law" by Frédéric Bastiat | PDF Version | Free Audio |
Original_Intent wrote:As I have stated numerous times, there are few readings that cram as much value in a small package as "The Law" by Bastiat. It can be easily read in an afternoon, it is easy to understand, and is in my opinion one of the clearest and most potent distillations of pure truth out there. And it is available for free online, including an audio book. (Which I wouldn't recommend, the guy's reading style was quite distracting.)

clarkkent14
LBFOJ

Post by clarkkent14 »

"The Cleansing of America" by W. Cleon Skousen | Skousen2000 | Audio | Amazon |
Original_Intent wrote:I am currently reading Cleon Skousen's Cleansing of America. From what I have read so far, it is the best book of his that I have read.
I second this recommendation! Very easy read, and it talks about society after the cleansing... How you can prepare now for what a Zion society will be like.

tsc
captain of 100

Post by tsc »

Here are a few I would recommend:

1. America In Danger - Steven Studdert
2. The Holy Secret - suggests that the Saints must better understand and apply the principles of: The Holy Sabbath, The Holy Temples, and The Holy Scriptures.
3. The Long Emergency - Kunstler; A discussion about Peak Oil and how to prepare.

Henmasher
captain of 1,000

Post by Henmasher »

Hearing The Voice Of The Lord
by Gerald N. Lund

Awesome book and very important as we are in times where the very elect shall be decieved. Personal communication is extremely important and this book helps you to understand how you recieve it and how to be prepared to receive it. Shows how some may believe they are recieving it and are actually not based on certain principles that help you sustain the source!
Last edited by Henmasher on September 22nd, 2010, 4:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

clarkkent14
LBFOJ

Post by clarkkent14 »

"The Holy Secret" by James L. Ferrell | Amazon | Kindle | PDF Portion
tsc wrote:2. The Holy Secret - suggests that the Saints must better understand and apply the principles of: The Holy Sabbath, The Holy Temples, and The Holy Scriptures.

clarkkent14
LBFOJ

Post by clarkkent14 »

"Putting on the Armor of God" by Steven A. Cramer | Google Books | Amazon | Cedar Fort |

This was one of the most powerful tools for me in battling temptation, and dealing with the effects of sin. He lays out the weapons used by Satan to try and defeat us. He gives a new look at battling with our Armor. This book was a life changer for me! Read it free on Google Books.

genesal
captain of 100

Post by genesal »

My recommendations are mostly listed above - Especially "An Enemy Hath Done This"
but here are a few others I love and highly recommend

"The Footstool of God" (Earth in Scripture and Prophecy) - by Rodney Turner: Grandin Book Company

"Spiritual Survival in the Last Days" - by Blaine and Brenton Yorgason: Deseret Book Company

"Latter-Day Prophets and the United States Constitution" - Edited with an Introduction by Donald Q. Cannon

"Prophets, Principles and National Survival - Compiled by Jerreld L. Newquist: Publishers Press

"Inspired Prophetic Warnings" - by Duane S. Crowther: Horizon

and "Isaiah Speaks to Modern Times" - by W. Cleon Skousen: Ensign Publishing Company (I love the Index, it tells me, for instance that
Jordan to be converted to the Gospel in the last days, and Iraq to be converted to the Gospel in the last days and Iran to fight against Israel in the battle of Armageddon and more.....

Epistemology
captain of 100

Post by Epistemology »

I need a good recommendation for a book on big oil...

iamse7en
captain of 1,000

Post by iamse7en »

Epistemology wrote:I need a good recommendation for a book on big oil...
F. William Engdahl wrote a trilogy based on the supposed Kissinger statement ("Control oil and you control the nations; control food and you control the people; control money and you control the world.") I read the one on oil, called "A Century of War: Anglo-American Oil Politics and the New World Order." I plan on reading the other two sometime, I just ordered "Gods of Money." You can see what the oil book is like here (request download ticket, then download).

A Century of War was really good. Fascinating information, but don't take everything as fact - he must be filling in his own details/speculation in some cases, but the overall agenda, history of conspiracy to control oil is all there. Also, Engdahl has a leftist background, so you kinda have to ignore some of the bias you'll notice, like when he whines about not spending money at home on infrastructure, education, etc, but instead spending it on covert operations to guarantee oil profits to the few (good point, but you can tell he has some leftist tendencies).

Epistemology
captain of 100

Post by Epistemology »

thanks, i'll look into it...